Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I hate to break up copyright chat, but I'm a bit confused on a point of home networking with 7 and older computers. I have a computer running XP that has all my files that I want to keep. How do I just open up a folder on the win7 machine that the network can see so I can just dump everything in there? Homegroup doesn't seem to be what I want, since that's for 7 only... right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

wintermuteCF posted:

I'm going to be mature and admit that I misunderstood you, and for that I apologize. I thought you were being sarcastic, when it turns out you were just being grateful. Being the internet, I failed to give you the benefit of the doubt, because most people are jerks, so I just assumed you were one too. It was also a little difficult to tell from your post, but it sounded like you were having trouble finding the file, so we figured you were inept or intentionally obtuse. Again, I apologize.

And the more I think about it, while 98% err, 99.999% of torrent traffic is illegal, I fail to see how providing something that Microsoft is also making available (that is, the ISO's of the OS) would constitute enabling piracy. If anything, we're doing them a favour by seeding that ISO for people that are unable to download it directly from them (like, say, nrr here).

End even if you are, that's exactly why Microsoft has, uh, licence keys and activation and all that rigamorale in the first place.

You're awesome. Thanks again.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
Can anybody with a dual monitor setup tell me if the taskbar stretches across both monitors in Windows 7? Every Google search shows speculation from before the launch itself, but no hardline answer.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Can anybody with a dual monitor setup tell me if the taskbar stretches across both monitors in Windows 7? Every Google search shows speculation from before the launch itself, but no hardline answer.

No

Not Memorable
Jul 25, 2004

You are the single most important person in the universe.

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Yeah, it doesn't. However, I went from XP to 7 and also upgraded to dual monitors. I'm happy to find that the new taskbar actually makes it seem useful to have the taskbar not on the bottom. I have it on the right side, vertically, of my two monitor set-up and I really like it. No accidentally jumping over to the left monitor when I'm trying to click start or on programs.

Repo Man
Nov 19, 2005
I'm putting together a computer as a gift for some friends. Older hardware: Epox 8RDA3+, Athlon mobile at a little over 2.0 GHz, Thermalright cooler, 1.5 gigs of PC3200, and a Maxtor 320 gigabyte SATA drive using the SIL3112 SATA RAID controller. I bought a copy of 7 Home premium. The box says Upgrade designed for Windows Vista, but it did a clean install with no problems. Silicon Image was nice enough to provide Windows 7 drivers for the RAID controller.

It has been working great so far. I'm very impressed at how nicely it is running on this admittedly obsolete hardware. No luck with the Radeon 9000 video card, so I'm going to have to buy something newer.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

DeathFlame posted:

Windows Update installed the new ATI drivers automatically for me after install. A little flicker (no restart) and voila, latest drivers.

It upgraded mine, then I ended up having to uninstall them and start over because one of my games would crash when it had a cinematic.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Yes I can. No.

Click here for the full 1760x600 image.

(although I usually have it on the right side of the left hand screen (right up the middle, as I've said a few times.)

Drox posted:

I hate to break up copyright chat, but I'm a bit confused on a point of home networking with 7 and older computers. I have a computer running XP that has all my files that I want to keep. How do I just open up a folder on the win7 machine that the network can see so I can just dump everything in there? Homegroup doesn't seem to be what I want, since that's for 7 only... right?
I've turned off simple file sharing for every OS I've used for years. Its a pain to setup, but it works.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

wintermuteCF posted:

Technically, without derailing this thread into a copyright and IP discussion, downloading or possession of digital content is only illegal if you don't have the rights to that content.

Which, if you own a key for Windows, makes it legal. It's only if you don't have a key that makes you be in trouble.

Yeah this is completely wrong. Having a windows key does not give you license to acquire the software from an unauthorized source, especially if you're using some kind of P2P software such as bitorrent where you would be uploading material as well.

I mean, speaking for American copyright law. I don't really know how it works anywhere else in the world.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Nov 1, 2009

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
So any gadgets that aren't worthless/tacky?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Anyone know if there is some way to have some sort of quick theme change menu added to the quick-launch taskbar or pinned to the regular area? I still find some games chug with aero enabled, so I'm always changing back and forth between aero and basic themes.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Anyone know if there is some way to have some sort of quick theme change menu added to the quick-launch taskbar or pinned to the regular area? I still find some games chug with aero enabled, so I'm always changing back and forth between aero and basic themes.

there is a much better solution: under compatibility properties for the application, check "disable desktop composition"

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

aneurysm posted:

there is a much better solution: under compatibility properties for the application, check "disable desktop composition"

Rockin'! Excellent tip man!

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

dMastri posted:

gently caress I've been wondering that since vista. A larger RSS feed would be nice that isn't a straight rip-off of the default one.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Some I regularly use are Pandora's Box, Hulu Widget, Twitter Explorer. There are some handy little gadgets, but of course most of them could easily be replaced and improved upon by running an application or (most of the time) opening your browser.

poo poo just browsing the site, I found Screen Snaper (sic), which is actually a useful screen capture tool. Nothing I'll use full time, but it's nice to know I have the option of turning to a transparent floating widget.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Imapanda posted:

Is there anywhere where that I can download the Windows 7 version of MS paint to previous versions of windows?

How can you assume that would be anything but :filez:?

On a different note, does anyone know if the Samba Mac OS 10.5 or 6 supports 7 logins yet?

http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Windows7

"Has been added" suggests something different than the registry changes to force the older protocols as needed in Server 2008 and Vista.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

dMastri posted:

Magic Folder, The Weather Channel, and your wireless gadget of choice

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I don't know what the gently caress's going on. I downloaded a copy of Ultimate from MSDN at work (we're an MS Gold Partner and have been told to use our VLK at home by our MS rep) and the install went fine, my only problem is this:

Any time I try to run Windows Update or install/uninstall something Windows 7 takes a while trying to create a system restore point

Event Viewer says this:
Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error DeviceIoControl(\\?\Volume{35b0a987-c5cc-11de-beda-806e6f6e6963} - 0000000000000138,0x0053c008,000000000044D680,0,000000000044E690,4096,[0]). hr = 0x80070079, The semaphore timeout period has expired.

I'm running Win7 off an IDE hard drive, I'm considering repartitioning, switching cables around and installing it on the SATA drive unless someone can help me out here :(

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

dMastri posted:

Click here for the full 501x1049 image.

HUD Time, HUD Weather, Network Utilization, Calculatorium, SABnzbd+ gadget, and Full Sun. Then I just turned off the clock in the taskbar, I find I work much better when I can't constantly see the time. Just mouse over to the corner and use Desktop Peek to see the time.

Also I'm working on HUD Feed but it's not really ready for mass consumption yet, but if you know how to write gadgets you're more than welcome to work on it.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Factor Mystic posted:

HUD Time, HUD Weather, Network Utilization, Calculatorium, SABnzbd+ gadget, and Full Sun. Then I just turned off the clock in the taskbar, I find I work much better when I can't constantly see the time. Just mouse over to the corner and use Desktop Peek to see the time.

Also I'm working on HUD Feed but it's not really ready for mass consumption yet, but if you know how to write gadgets you're more than welcome to work on it.

Any chance of a Celcius option on your weather gadget? Fahrenheit makes no sense to me.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

That and how does it know where I live without me telling it :tinfoil:

edit: Well maybe it doesn't because it's wrong.

edit2: Ok I'm real dumb. How do I change the clock and weather location in the gadget that Factor Mystic posted? Cause I can't find it. Unless you can't and he just posted things he made for himself :v:

Fateo McMurray fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Nov 1, 2009

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Factor Mystic posted:

These are great but they need an option to control the opacity and the font color.

mezz
Aug 12, 2004

oh polly

FateoMcSkippy posted:

That and how does it know where I live without me telling it :tinfoil:

edit: Well maybe it doesn't because it's wrong.

edit2: Ok I'm real dumb. How do I change the clock and weather location in the gadget that Factor Mystic posted? Cause I can't find it. Unless you can't and he just posted things he made for himself :v:

It looks like it could use a bit more options in the control panel indeed.

Although this should maybe go in another thread, if you want to change the gadget to fit with your location:

The .gadget files are just compressed folders, rename it to hud_weather.zip and then you can open it in winzip or whatever.
You'll find a file content.htm in there, open it and change var zip=45219 to your own.
If you want to change the degrees in celcius, you'll have to add &unit=m somewhere in the url http://xoap.weather.com/weather/local/45219?cc=*&dayf=6....

Update the files in the zip, rename back to .gadget and install.

SynVisions
Jun 29, 2003

I'm having an extremely specific bug and I'm wondering if anyone else has hit it.

When using PuTTY in Windows 7, vi'ing a file crashes PuTTY about 10% of the time. Very irritating. Has anyone else run into this?

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number
I also use the CPU meter and Network meter from AddGadget: http://addgadget.com/

I only have 2 cores so the CPU gadget isn't quite so large and confusing.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Drox posted:

I just fixed this myself last night.

Homegroup indeed is for Win7 only. What you need to do is join that workgroup for the WinXP computer you want to connect to. The easiest way is to hit the windows key+pause/break. This will bring up the system properties dialogue box. Go down to the network and computer name section and change it to your workgroup. Voila!

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Nocheez posted:

I just fixed this myself last night.

Homegroup indeed is for Win7 only. What you need to do is join that workgroup for the WinXP computer you want to connect to. The easiest way is to hit the windows key+pause/break. This will bring up the system properties dialogue box. Go down to the network and computer name section and change it to your workgroup. Voila!

You still need to create a classic share by sharing the files. Technically, I believe in XP Pro you have the admin shares so you COULD just c$ it, but it's cleaner to share.

Right click, properties, Sharing tab, advanced sharing and make a new share.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

DorianGravy posted:

I'm moving from Vista to 7 and I want to do a clean install (to get rid of any bloat I might have accumulated over the past year). What's the best way to make sure I re-install all of the programs I currently have? Should I just copy down a list of my programs from the add/remove program list?

What I do, because I've done so much dicking around with my computers this year, is make a folder with the installers for all my essential programs. So things like Chrome, uTorrent, iTunes, etc, I have right there and I don't have to worry about remembering to install them.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Dickeye posted:

What I do, because I've done so much dicking around with my computers this year, is make a folder with the installers for all my essential programs. So things like Chrome, uTorrent, iTunes, etc, I have right there and I don't have to worry about remembering to install them.

I'm keen to this myself http://ninite.com/

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Edit:
Huh, yeah I guess I haven't written in that option yet. Guess it's going on the todo along with Celsius.
It autodetects your zip now yay

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

These are great but they need an option to control the opacity and the font color.

Yes they do.

Factor Mystic fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 1, 2009

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Factor Mystic posted:

Huh, yeah I guess I haven't written in that option yet. Guess it's going on the todo along with Celsius.

Well the clock fixed itself. It just took a few minutes to sync itself to my computer time.

I tried editing the zip code with the weather gadget. But after I do everything it just shows up as a 0. It doesn't like my zip code apparently.

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Let's kick some gigabutt!

Bleak Gremlin
Has anyone had a problem where the taskbar disappears after coming out of the screensaver? It just happened to me. The Windows button and the time was there, but no taskbar. I logged out and back in and it fixed it. Weird.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
I wish it was possible to enable glass style on every program. Firefox needed a new theme (well addon) but there are some that don't come with natural support :(

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
Microsoft got around to releasing Remote Desktop 7 updates for Vista and XP. Most of the updates are there, but the major ones like Aero glass, remote app task scheduler and such are still 7 only.

MS page with links to XP SP3, Vista 32 and 64 bit SP1/2 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969084

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

FateoMcSkippy posted:

I'm keen to this myself http://ninite.com/

Seconding this, because it's loving amazing. I found it on LifeHacker recently, and it's great for setting up a PC with "the essentials" after a clean wipe.

The best part is that it downloads the most recent copy of all these programs, whereas if you've been keeping a folder with your install files, they'll be out of date.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I haven't even used Ninite but I suggested they add digsby and they were added in a few hours later. I'll certainly use it next time I have a new installation.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Shame that it, like similar services, doesn't offer anything for x64 users. :/

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

Drox posted:

I can't believe these petty plebians didn't help you with this issue.

Pick a directory where you want your files to go. Desktop probably isn't a good idea.

Make yourself a new directory there, right click it, and select Share With... Specific people.

Add Everyone under permissions, and give them full access.

Go into your network and sharing center, click on Choose Homegroup and Sharing options, click on advanced sharing settings, click on home or work, then scroll down to turn on file and printer sharing, and turn off password protected sharing. Apply all this close it and whatnot. Then, get your 7 system's IP, and feed it into an explorer window on your XP machine, in the form of \\YOU.RIP.IST.HIS (I'm sure you can figure that out). The shared folder should pop up, then just dump away.

As to the discussion in the thread - per the DCMA, acquiring licenced software through an unapproved method may be illegal, but for the most part I don't think anyone really cares.

revolther
May 27, 2008

Factor Mystic posted:

Gadgets!
These all need a scale option, or perhaps just a font size/color config, and as already suggested an opacity option.

But beyond that, they are marvelous and I'll use them while anxiously awaiting updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
I'm running Windows 7 Ult on my Macbook Pro. It works fine, it's just that when I try to run my bootcamp partition in VMWare Fusion 2, I get counterfeit errors. I try to authenticate but I guess the specs are too dissimilar from when I'm running in boot camp. Anyone know how to fix this?