Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
The real risk is critical data that encounters a read error during a rebuild, a complete failure of a second disk is incredibly unlikely. If you are using zfs or some software raid it will probably keep rebuilding happily, and you'll see a visual artifact in one of your movies at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

roadhead posted:

I don't "constantly" pound the array though. Its either sustained writes for a particular period, or very light reads over the network (either DLNA or SMB)
The reason I ask is because from what I've read, the drive has an eight second idle timer. Means, after 8 seconds of inactivity, it'll park heads. Given ZFS' aggressive prefetcher (hell, watching a movie, it tends to prefetch in 50-100MB chunks) and the up to 30 seconds write transaction grouping, the drives may just park and unpark all goddamn day.

Altho it seems you can apply the WDIDLE3 and WDTLER tools to the WD Green series.

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

The reason I ask is because from what I've read, the drive has an eight second idle timer. Means, after 8 seconds of inactivity, it'll park heads. Given ZFS' aggressive prefetcher (hell, watching a movie, it tends to prefetch in 50-100MB chunks) and the up to 30 seconds write transaction grouping, the drives may just park and unpark all goddamn day.

Altho it seems you can apply the WDIDLE3 and WDTLER tools to the WD Green series.

I downloaded these, but does anyone know if there is anyway to run these under FreebSD?

FunkyUnderpants
Jan 20, 2007
These ain't no depends®
Quick heads up, guys - on the first page it mentions the DLink DNS-323 as a well-known/goon-respected NAS, but Newegg now lists it as discontinued. It looks like the DNS-321 is the new and cheaper replacement, oddly enough. (who hears of model numbers going backwards?)

I bought a DNS-323 2 months ago for my company's network backups, so far so good.

Anyone have any experience with this new DNS-321? Besides one person mentioning it overheating, I haven't seen any mention of it in the past 3 pages.

On the Newegg page, people mention frustration that it only uses *nix ext2 file system. Maybe by default it uses that; but I'd need this for Win7 backups on one drive (obviously NTFS) and time machine backups on the other drive, formatted HSF+. Extremely important feature here.

So if anyone wants to post a mini-review, or tell me I'm barking up the wrong tree and provide recommendations; it'd be greatly appreciated.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

roadhead posted:

I downloaded these, but does anyone know if there is anyway to run these under FreebSD?
They're DOS apps, you need a boot disk/CD/stick with FreeDOS or something.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

FunkyUnderpants posted:

Quick heads up, guys - on the first page it mentions the DLink DNS-323 as a well-known/goon-respected NAS, but Newegg now lists it as discontinued. It looks like the DNS-321 is the new and cheaper replacement, oddly enough. (who hears of model numbers going backwards?)

I bought a DNS-323 2 months ago for my company's network backups, so far so good.

Anyone have any experience with this new DNS-321? Besides one person mentioning it overheating, I haven't seen any mention of it in the past 3 pages.

On the Newegg page, people mention frustration that it only uses *nix ext2 file system. Maybe by default it uses that; but I'd need this for Win7 backups on one drive (obviously NTFS) and time machine backups on the other drive, formatted HSF+. Extremely important feature here.

So if anyone wants to post a mini-review, or tell me I'm barking up the wrong tree and provide recommendations; it'd be greatly appreciated.

I have a DNS-321. You can run the 323 hacks still and the only thing I noticed it was missing before I decided it would be fine was a USB port for connecting an external drive.

File system doesn't matter because you're using this thing over the network.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Phatty2x4 posted:

Have you looked at other options such as DISPARITY (http://www.vilett.com/disParity/forum/) or FLEXRAID (http://www.openegg.org/FlexRAID.curi)?

Thanks for that flexraid link. I'm trying it out now on a VM and it seems to have a lot of the advantages of unraid without most of the disadvantages. I'm a little wary about using a project like this which seems to be a one man show but since it runs on top of whatever file system you have if a drive does fail you won't lose everything at once.

Combined with mhddfs this is almost like a free/open WHS replacement

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

FunkyUnderpants posted:

So if anyone wants to post a mini-review [of the dns-321], or tell me I'm barking up the wrong tree and provide recommendations; it'd be greatly appreciated.

I'm the one that mentioned it was overheating. That was specifically because I had it in an enclosed cabinet with no ventilation, and running ST31000340NS drives which are pretty hot to start with. Once I moved it out of the cabinet, it's been running at a steady and much more normal 125F.

I can't comment on it's suitability for Time Machine / W7 backups as i'm using an NSLU2 for that purpose (don't, too slow for time machine), but I consistently get upwards of 12 MB/s read/writes on the DNS321 according to the windows 7 file copy gui on gigabit with no jumbo frame tweaking. The plugins run great, I have ssh and transmission on mine. If you are running a lot of torrents at once it will definitely slow down file transfers, but light use or for those larger torrents that might take a couple of weeks to finish due to size and lack of seeds, it works great.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 26, 2009

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
I've got a nexenta solaris file server set up with some shares and for the most part its working well, but I made my shares before I saw the stuff about making the case sensitivity = mixed and now when ever i transfer files into the share over sharesmb they come out with 000 permissions.

How can I change the default permissions of smb create files? I know it has to do with ACLs, but I can't work it out.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

vanjalolz posted:

I've got a nexenta solaris file server set up with some shares and for the most part its working well, but I made my shares before I saw the stuff about making the case sensitivity = mixed and now when ever i transfer files into the share over sharesmb they come out with 000 permissions.

How can I change the default permissions of smb create files? I know it has to do with ACLs, but I can't work it out.

Are you using the built in CIFS server or did you roll your own samba? I was using OpenSolaris before they introduced the builtin CIFS server, upgraded, checked out the server, saw that it was completely not configurable, and threw that poo poo out the window. Samba was an easy compile, and I had the SMF manifest from the previous install, so it wasn't too hard to drop it in place. From there it's just a simple matter of Samba options.

If you're using the CIFS server, I'm not sure how to do it, or if it's even possible.

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy
edit: I'll respond tomorrow with more details

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
Yes im using built in CIFS thinking its the better option. I just realised that its not broadcasting itself (no nmb) so stuff it, I'm ditching it.

Allistar
Feb 14, 2002

Regulation, aisle 8. Nerf, aisle 15.
Anyone using a SYBA Compact Flash -> IDE adapter for storing their choice of NAS OS, be careful. The solder points that connect the floppy drive power connector to the PCB is scarily weak.

I moved (and thus unplugged) the adapter between two computers so that I could work on fixing my corrupted FreeNAS embedded install and now the adapter is without power.

I'm wanting to replace my NAS hardware (motherboard, processor) with something ATOM or ION based. But I need at least 5 SATA ports. Is there something out there for me that isn't super priced?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Allistar posted:

I'm wanting to replace my NAS hardware (motherboard, processor) with something ATOM or ION based.
...would Ion have any benefit on a NAS?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

japtor posted:

...would Ion have any benefit on a NAS?
Lower power utilization.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

adorai posted:

Lower power utilization.
I thought it took more power than Intel's chipset?

Allistar
Feb 14, 2002

Regulation, aisle 8. Nerf, aisle 15.
It doesn't matter, no atom system that I see offers more than 3 integrated SATA ports. I'll just keep my P4 system and measly 8MB/s transfers due to the fact that 3 of the 5 drives are running off of a PCI SATA card. :(

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I got the WD Green 1.5TB disks anyway, and guess what, I suppose one of the two is broken, because it seeks like a loving madman while there's exactly zero IO.

--edit: Both drives do this. :(

As soon the AHCI BIOS initializes them. Is there some sort of long self-test that's initiated on the disks the first runs?

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 28, 2009

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

Allistar posted:

I'm wanting to replace my NAS hardware (motherboard, processor) with something ATOM or ION based. But I need at least 5 SATA ports. Is there something out there for me that isn't super priced?
Check out the Pegatron (aka POV, aka Asus OEM) IPX7A-ION330 or Supermicro X7SLA-H/X7SLA-L.

http://www.logicsupply.com/products/ipx7a_ion330
http://supermicro.com/products/motherboard/ATOM/

4x SATA onboard and x16 or x8 PCIe expansion.

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

EnergizerFellow posted:

Check out the Pegatron (aka POV, aka Asus OEM) IPX7A-ION330 or Supermicro X7SLA-H/X7SLA-L.

http://www.logicsupply.com/products/ipx7a_ion330
http://supermicro.com/products/motherboard/ATOM/

4x SATA onboard and x16 or x8 PCIe expansion.

I definitely want to buy these motherboards, but I'm curious to see if Pine Trail will offer any significant power savings over the current crop of boards...they should be out any day now (sometime in Q4) http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Intel-Pine-Trail-View-Launch,8046.html

Edit: Well drat it, I just found an article saying they won't be released until Q1 2010, and they won't offer significant power savings AND will be more expensive. gently caress it, time to jump the gun. http://www.electronista.com/articles/09/10/16/intel.atom.400.500.series.pushed.to.2010/

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

So yeah, I let them have a go at it and keep these WD Greens spinning for a while, let them do their idle grinding. They have stopped doing this for now, I have yet to reboot tho. Strange bunch of disks. How's the reliability for you guys, especially for the WD15EADS three platter version?

I'm still curious what it was all about, anyway.

siliconix
Mar 15, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

So yeah, I let them have a go at it and keep these WD Greens spinning for a while, let them do their idle grinding. They have stopped doing this for now, I have yet to reboot tho. Strange bunch of disks. How's the reliability for you guys, especially for the WD15EADS three platter version?

I'm still curious what it was all about, anyway.

I have 5 WD15EADS in MD raid-6, had them running non stop since end of march or so. One of them kept dropping out during scrubbing of the array, had it replaced and haven't seen any issues since.
I've given them the WDidle and TLER treatment, well, except for the new one, gonna do that next time its down.
The WDidle utility should take care of the idle grinding.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
Have any of you used EON? I am thinking about switching to EON from a full SXCE install in order to free up 2 sata ports on my motherboard. I've experimented with installing opensolaris snv_125 to an 8GB thumb drive, but it is very, very slow. I figure EON has to be faster, but what kind of functionality am I really going to be missing?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Are you putting UFS or ZFS on the stick? Latter would let the ARC deal with the speed issues.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Combat Pretzel posted:

Are you putting UFS or ZFS on the stick? Latter would let the ARC deal with the speed issues.
It was formatted with zfs, and it still took ~5 minutes just to boot.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Allistar posted:

It doesn't matter, no atom system that I see offers more than 3 integrated SATA ports. I'll just keep my P4 system and measly 8MB/s transfers due to the fact that 3 of the 5 drives are running off of a PCI SATA card. :(

The cost of running that P4 is more than a low power machine with a pci-e slot + sata adapter. All things equal you will see a bottom line savings on your electric bill going to a new machine, and probably <1year to recoup your costs if you go to low power.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

H110Hawk posted:

The cost of running that P4 is more than a low power machine with a pci-e slot + sata adapter.
I agree, going with something like:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103716
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138138

will have an ROI of around 2 years in comparison with a typical P4. In fact it is almost exactly what I am running on my current opensolaris box, with 4 green power drives I get about 30MB/s sustained.

stephenm00
Jun 28, 2006
Fixed

stephenm00 fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Apr 21, 2017

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

stephenm00 posted:

What is the power difference between an intel / amd 65w processor and an atom processor? Is it enough to justify getting the atom for an always on server?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Atom#Architecture

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
I bought one of these awhile back and have loaded it up with 8 drives. The included SATA raid card only allows me to create raid arrays with a maximum of 5 drives. I want to put all 8 into a RAID-5 or RAID-6 array. So what I'm looking for is a nicer SATA RAID card with two eSATA ports that supports a port multiplier.

All the cards I'm finding seem to be either super expensive or based on the same Silicon Image chipset the current controller I have is based on.

Is this going to work for me or is there something else I should look for? I'm not super concerned about performance as this will be for media storage or maybe this as I will be adding a second enclosure eventually.

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:
Assuming the OS/hardware was up to snuff how would one of these perform as compared to a FW800 drive/internal drive?

http://go.iomega.com/en-us/products/network-storage-desktop/storcenter-network-storage-solution/network-hard-drive-ix2-200/?partner=4760

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
I've crawled around the solaris site and read a few guides like this, but does anyone have any other idiot-proof links regarding setting up zfs for dummies?

edit: something along the line of creating the array to sharing it across the network for another windows based PC to see it. I just read the slides about how ZFS does not have a file system and how it can create multiple 'zones' in one big pool :psyduck: I think this might be way over my head but I am pretty interested in learning about this.

DaNzA fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Nov 6, 2009

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

DaNzA posted:

edit: something along the line of creating the array to sharing it across the network for another windows based PC to see it.
•# zpool create raidz storage c0t1d0 c0t2d0 c0t3d0 c0t4d0 c0t5d0
•# zfs create -o casesensitivy=mixed storage/cifs
•# smbadm join -u username domain.here
•# svcadm enable smb/server
•# zfs set sharesmb=on storage/cifs
•# svcadm enable iscsitgt
•# zfs create -V 50G -s storage/iscsitarget
•# iscsitadm create target -b /dev/zvol/dsk/storage/iscsitarget iscsitarget

Cifs and iSCSI

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.
I am confused as gently caress. Skip to the bottom for a TL;DR to skip the backstory.

I'm building a house next year and am in the process of finalising plans. I have an electrical consultation on Tuesday with Lifestyle National to discuss lighting, power points etc. Naturally, I'll be getting a gigabit ethernet LAN put in.

I intend to stream media from a central server to Popcorn Hour machines/HD TVs in a couple of locations. At the moment I just watch all my shows/movies from a few different drives (a 750gb, a 1Tb and a 250Gb drive) on the computer itself. Obviously this is not ideal and a NAS is the way to go. From what I've read, a RAID 5 setup is probably my best bet to prevent against drive failure, but honestly my brain is suffering from information overload at the moment.

The D-Link DNS-343 has caught my eye. It has iTunes server support, although I'm not 100% sure how I could integrate that into my AV setup for using the iPhone Remote App to play music when I'm chilling on the deck (although that's a separate issue). My other worries are expandability and power consumption. I can confidently say that 2Tb of storage won't take long to be filled up, and that 4Tb is more realistic in the medium term. I'll also probably situate it next to the wiring closet and run it 24/7 to save having to constantly power it off and on. The other thing to consider is that I'm not moving in until around this time next year, so costs per Gb etc should have come down more by then.

TL;DR: NAS newbie looking for advice on creating 4Tb NAS media server that will be relatively economical to leave powered on 24/7.

Wanderer89
Oct 12, 2009
Can anyone comment on dual-gigabit NICs in a raid-z box on top of opensolaris? There are times when pushing/pulling things that I saturate a single gigabit line, and also would like to be able to have multiple clients not have to share that gigabit upstream.

Can I just slap a 2nd gigabit nic into an opensolaris box and have it use both simultaneously?

complex
Sep 16, 2003

Wanderer89 posted:

Can anyone comment on dual-gigabit NICs in a raid-z box on top of opensolaris? There are times when pushing/pulling things that I saturate a single gigabit line, and also would like to be able to have multiple clients not have to share that gigabit upstream.

Can I just slap a 2nd gigabit nic into an opensolaris box and have it use both simultaneously?

First, make sure you really are (or would) saturating the Gb interface. Are you getting at least 100MB/s?

Second, to do true link aggregation as you speak of you need a switch that adheres to the 802.3ad standard. If you have a switch that can do that then it is pretty easy to bring up an aggregated interface that has one IP balanced across two physical links. http://ptribble.blogspot.com/2008/12/solaris-link-aggregation.html

If you have multiple clients and no single client will pull more than 1 Gb then you could probably get by with just bringing up the second interface with its own IP and then pointing the second client to the other IP.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

modeski posted:

TL;DR: NAS newbie looking for advice on creating 4Tb NAS media server that will be relatively economical to leave powered on 24/7.

Windows Home Server you probably want to have a look at this thread as well. a home server would be more versatile than a NAS and would have a far larger storage capacity.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.

HERAK posted:

Windows Home Server you probably want to have a look at this thread as well. a home server would be more versatile than a NAS and would have a far larger storage capacity.

Hey, thanks, I'll check it out. I'll have a spare machine lying around soon so the costs (new drives) should be limited.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

HERAK posted:

I would really like to try WHS again but I am still terrified of the data corruption issue coming back after I lost a ton of data on the retail edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Twiin posted:

I would really like to try WHS again but I am still terrified of the data corruption issue coming back after I lost a ton of data on the retail edition.

Not been an issue since power pack 1, 2 is out and 3 with full support for windows 7 is in beta. Though that one may take a while to come out, when i was running it it seamed to be a major resource hog.