Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathFlame
Jan 1, 2008
I have an issue where I have to type in admin passwords when just using programs that have been installed a while.

Two examples:

1) Company of Heroes through Steam. It asks for admin password everytime, and then goes through the "installing for the first time" check, finds out everything is good and starts. If I hit cancel, it'll start anyways without the password.

2) EasyTune 6 is installed for my Gigabyte motherboard. It autostarts with windows, and every time I log in, it asks for a password off the start.

Anyway to stop these from annoying me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

DeathFlame posted:

I have an issue where I have to type in admin passwords when just using programs that have been installed a while.

Two examples:

1) Company of Heroes through Steam. It asks for admin password everytime, and then goes through the "installing for the first time" check, finds out everything is good and starts. If I hit cancel, it'll start anyways without the password.

2) EasyTune 6 is installed for my Gigabyte motherboard. It autostarts with windows, and every time I log in, it asks for a password off the start.

Anyway to stop these from annoying me?

Your credential seemed to be hosed up. It should bother you with a UAC prompt, not your password. Try lowering the :siren:UAC:siren: settings in your users account.

DeathFlame
Jan 1, 2008

incoherent posted:

Your credential seemed to be hosed up. It should bother you with a UAC prompt, not your password. Try lowering the :siren:UAC:siren: settings in your users account.

It is a UAC prompt, but since I am under an account without admin access (just stanard) it's asking for a password.

I checked the UAC settings, and it was indeed at maximu, and lowering down to 2nd from the top didn't fix the COH on Steam issue, and I believe I have seen the EasyTune thing come up even when logging in as the admin.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

DeathFlame posted:

It is a UAC prompt, but since I am under an account without admin access (just stanard) it's asking for a password.

I checked the UAC settings, and it was indeed at maximu, and lowering down to 2nd from the top didn't fix the COH on Steam issue, and I believe I have seen the EasyTune thing come up even when logging in as the admin.

Easytune I can understand, as it requires a lot of access to the hardware directly, which makes UAC nag. For steam games, go to the steam program folder and find each programs folder. Setup each program run as an administrator by right clicking the program->properties and going to the compatibility tab and ticking the box "run as administrator".

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Hey I'm having an issue with 64 bit ultimate. My graphics card (nvidia GTX 260) seems to be stuck at 59hz refresh rate on my acer AL2216W monitor (native 1680x1050x60hz). This (I think) leads to a slow-moving line that goes from top to bottom on any game or video I play. Any suggestions? I tried to google it and I got nothing relevant.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

zegermans posted:

Hey I'm having an issue with 64 bit ultimate. My graphics card (nvidia GTX 260) seems to be stuck at 59hz refresh rate on my acer AL2216W monitor (native 1680x1050x60hz). This (I think) leads to a slow-moving line that goes from top to bottom on any game or video I play. Any suggestions? I tried to google it and I got nothing relevant.

Can you not change the refresh rate in advance display properties?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FateoMcSkippy posted:

I'm keen to this myself http://ninite.com/

If I didn't already have my folder made I would use this

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

DarthBlingBling posted:

Can you not change the refresh rate in advance display properties?

nope. Its an option, and I say ok and hit apply, etc, and then next time I check it switches back.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

this is really annoying; it makes all my games cut horribly.

also civ 4 via steam doesn't work with win7 64 :(

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

zegermans posted:

nope. Its an option, and I say ok and hit apply, etc, and then next time I check it switches back.

Other people have also been having this problem. There is software made for Nvidia cards that allows you to force a refresh rate.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

zegermans posted:

I hadn't tried this since upgrading to Win7, but I just fired it up no problem. You using vanilla or BTS? Interestingly, it gave me this message

Despite the fact I'm running well past the minimums.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...

DarthBlingBling posted:

Other people have also been having this problem. There is software made for Nvidia cards that allows you to force a refresh rate.

Interesting, I'm having this "issue" as well. Although I can't notice the line. Wonder what's up

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

atomicvocabulary posted:

Interesting, I'm having this "issue" as well. Although I can't notice the line. Wonder what's up

It sounds like it might be along the lines of a problem I had with my new ATI card, I couldn't change the refresh rate nor would it let me have a screen resolution as big as I'd normally use, furthermore, it was detecting my monitor as a 'generic p&p' whereas before it had been able to identify the monitor type.

I resolved this by downloading the drivers for my monitor, and dropping the 4 files i got from the manufacturer into my system32/drivers folder, even though all they had were xp ones, it solved the problem after a reboot.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

dMastri posted:

I hadn't tried this since upgrading to Win7, but I just fired it up no problem. You using vanilla or BTS? Interestingly, it gave me this message

Despite the fact I'm running well past the minimums.

My copy of Civ 4 throws that exact message up, despite having everything maxed out. It's weird.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

I fixed the tearing by forcing vsync in the driver control panel. Civ IV works now too. I'd still feel more comfy with it at 60hz but whatever. Now I'm getting some weird jitter about 3/5ths down my screen in CoH where it shifts a few pixels right for a split second. It goes away after a few seconds and everything is fine. I'm pretty sure this is because of the sli I just setup (woo 100 bucks for an old 260 off ebay for nextgenish performance)

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

ufarn posted:

Shame that it, like similar services, doesn't offer anything for x64 users. :/

You mean ninite? I don't think any of those programs have 64 bit counterparts.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Could you guys see if the drivers for your wireless card support the Virtual WiFi feature built into Windows 7? Just open up a command prompt and type in "netsh wlan show drivers". You'll get a blob of text that looks kinda like this:

code:
C:\>netsh wlan show drivers

Interface name: Wireless Network Connection 2

Driver                    : Gigabyte WPKG PCI WLAN Card
    Vendor                    : Gigabyte Technology Corp.
    Provider                  : Ralink Technology, Inc.
    Date                      : 6/1/2006
    Version                   : 3.2.0.0
    INF file                  : C:\Windows\INF\oem41.inf
    Files                     : 1 total
                                C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\RT2500.sys
    Type                      : Legacy Wi-Fi Driver
    Radio types supported     : 802.11g 802.11b
    FIPS 140-2 mode supported : No
    Hosted network supported  : No <- look at this line down here
If the drivers for your card have that feature, you can turn your PC into an access point, which can be useful for extending your wireless range or providing internet access for devices that don't want to get involved with ad-hoc networks.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

zegermans posted:

this is really annoying; it makes all my games cut horribly.

I've only played the Steam Civilization 4 under Windows 7 x64. No other operating system. Ever.

How does it "not work" ??

Rort
Sep 24, 2006

Maxwell Adams posted:

Could you guys see if the drivers for your wireless card support the Virtual WiFi feature built into Windows 7? Just open up a command prompt and type in "netsh wlan show drivers". You'll get a blob of text that looks kinda like this:

Mine does.

code:
Interface name: Wireless Network Connection

Driver                    : Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card
    Vendor                    : Broadcom
    Provider                  : Microsoft
    Date                      : 10/1/2008
    Version                   : 4.176.75.23
    INF file                  : C:\Windows\INF\oem16.inf
    Files                     : 2 total
                                C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\BCMWL6.SYS
                                C:\Windows\system32\drivers\vwifibus.sys
    Type                      : Native Wi-Fi Driver
    Radio types supported     : 802.11g 802.11b
    FIPS 140-2 mode supported : No
    Hosted network supported  : Yes
Although I don't see myself making use of it.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I'm getting a weird bug that I thought was a result of a hard drive with bad sectors when I was running Windows 7 Beta, but now that I'm on a fresh hard drive with a clean install if Win7 Home Premium, and it's still doing it, I've got no clue how to fix it:

I'm running a dual-monitor setup, HD4870, and sometimes, maybe 10% of the time, that I move my mouse cursor between screens, it graphically corrupts. I'll get a quarter of the mouse cursor repeated four times, or something similar.

Moving it back and forth between monitors usually fixes this, but I'm stumped why it's happening in the first place. SFC says all files are good.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

4 Day Weekend posted:

You mean ninite? I don't think any of those programs have 64 bit counterparts.

There is a 64 bit version of firefox, but it is in some weird testing section of mozilla's testing website. Have fun!

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

Super Dude posted:

There is a 64 bit version of firefox, but it is in some weird testing section of mozilla's testing website. Have fun!

Well, no 64 bit counterparts that are at all worth it.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
IIRC the x32 version of 7-zip doesn't work well with x64 windows - shell integration and so on doesn't work. On the other hand, x64 Python works terrible with most packages out there in my experience, making it about as useful as a x64 browser.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Does anyone else's Windows Live Messenger give you an error when closing convos? Mine says something like another process is accessing the log file for the last conversation.

I'll get a screen shot of it when it happens again next.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet
Sweeeet:

quote:

It wasn't all that long ago that Microsoft was talking up the Virtual WiFi feature developed by Microsoft Research and set for inclusion in Windows 7, but something got lost along the road to release day, and the functionality never officially made it into the OS. As you might expect with anything as big and complicated as an operating system though, some of that code did make it into the final release, and there was apparently enough of it for the folks at Nomadio to exploit into a full fledged feature. That's now become Connectify, a free application from the company that effectively turns any Windows 7 computer into a virtual WiFi hotspot -- letting you, for instance, wirelessly tether a number of devices to your laptop at location where only an Ethernet jack is available, or even tether a number of laptops together at a coffee shop that chargers for WiFi. Intrigued? Hit up the link below to grab the beta.

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/02/unfinished-windows-7-feature-exploited-for-virtual-wifi-hotspots/

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

I can see the future of this already; Starbucks sues Microsoft for allowing Starbuck customers to "steal" WiFi access.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

This doesn't work for me, though, because my drivers don't support Hosted Networks. The only things I've found that do support it are for laptops.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Bobulus posted:

I'm getting a weird bug that I thought was a result of a hard drive with bad sectors when I was running Windows 7 Beta, but now that I'm on a fresh hard drive with a clean install if Win7 Home Premium, and it's still doing it, I've got no clue how to fix it:

I'm running a dual-monitor setup, HD4870, and sometimes, maybe 10% of the time, that I move my mouse cursor between screens, it graphically corrupts. I'll get a quarter of the mouse cursor repeated four times, or something similar.

Moving it back and forth between monitors usually fixes this, but I'm stumped why it's happening in the first place. SFC says all files are good.
Do you have a Gigabyte motherboard? Somehow the BIOS on some of the newer motherboards were causing ATI cards to crash and other graphics problems. I applied the update and now memtest does not report any errors in my RAM either.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Color calibration's not working in Windows 7 64-bit. Color-calibrated programs like Firefox will work with ICC profiles I create with my Spyder 2, but the LUT won't load into the monitor. I tried using the Spyder loader and Powerstrip, and neither works. Worked fine in Vista.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bobulus posted:

I have the same problem since upgrading to Win7 64, didn't have any issues in Vista64.

If you wiggle it between the screens it returns to normal cursor. I bet it's an ATI thing because I'm using a 4890.

xydrine
Jul 5, 2009

FISA Approved...

COCKMOUTH.GIF posted:

I can see the future of this already; Starbucks sues Microsoft for allowing Starbuck customers to "steal" WiFi access.

Starbucks already charges you enough for their coffee that they might as well just consider WiFi a surcharge.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

xydrine posted:

Starbucks already charges you enough for their coffee that they might as well just consider WiFi a surcharge.

They seem to charge as much as everyone else. They give free refills now so it's not that bad. I spend 4 hours a week working there.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Dominoes posted:

Color calibration's not working in Windows 7 64-bit. Color-calibrated programs like Firefox will work with ICC profiles I create with my Spyder 2, but the LUT won't load into the monitor. I tried using the Spyder loader and Powerstrip, and neither works. Worked fine in Vista.

With both Vista and 7, I had to use an external app (Spyder in my case) to load the LUT. I'm currently using the latest Spyder3 Elite build and its working fine for 7. In XP, I used to use the microsoft color tool. Still seems ridiculous that windows doesn't have built in functionality to load display ICC profiles and apply that LUT to the video output.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So I have 2 sound devices plugged into my PC. Speakers via the mini stereo 3.5mm jack and toslink to a receiver. I can't seem to get windows to output to both simultaneously. I have to pick one and set it to default which in turn disables the other. Is this a limitation of Windows or the hardware? I'm running the built in windows driver and my onboard sound is just listed as "high definition audio device".

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Shaocaholica posted:

So I have 2 sound devices plugged into my PC. Speakers via the mini stereo 3.5mm jack and toslink to a receiver. I can't seem to get windows to output to both simultaneously. I have to pick one and set it to default which in turn disables the other. Is this a limitation of Windows or the hardware? I'm running the built in windows driver and my onboard sound is just listed as "high definition audio device".

This is up to the drivers for your motherboard/sound card. 7 can use multiple devices at the same time no problem but is limited to the limitations of the driver.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Along the same lines, is there a way to prevent Windows from switching audio devices when turning off a receiver connected by HDMI? Whenver I turn off my receiver, Gizmo and any audio programs I'm running crap out or try to use my built-in sound card, even after the receiver has been turned back on.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Dominoes posted:

Along the same lines, is there a way to prevent Windows from switching audio devices when turning off a receiver connected by HDMI? Whenver I turn off my receiver, Gizmo and any audio programs I'm running crap out or try to use my built-in sound card, even after the receiver has been turned back on.

Right click the mixer, select playback and then disable everything but HDMI? Just setting it as the default might work too.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

redeyes posted:

This is up to the drivers for your motherboard/sound card. 7 can use multiple devices at the same time no problem but is limited to the limitations of the driver.

Well it seems that its actually in the software. I was able to hear audio over toslink and play the windows sound test on the analog output at the same time. Just can't get both to output anything meaningful simultaneously other than the windows test sound.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I just ordered the $30 student upgrade to 64bit, and I'm currently running Vista 32.

Do I have any reasonable/sensible way to upgrade to Win7 64bit clean install beyond formatting my main drive, installing Vista 64 and then upgrading to 7?

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 2, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Hypnolobster posted:

I just ordered the $30 student upgrade to 64bit, and I'm currently running Vista 32.

Do I have any reasonable/sensible way to upgrade to Win7 64bit clean install beyond formatting my main drive, installing Vista 64 and then upgrading to 7?

There is no upgrading. You will get your old installation renamed to windows.old and a clean install.