Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splat
Aug 22, 2002

ufarn posted:

Does anyone know why the Blu-ray version of Chuck season one is US-only? Sucks that I have to get it at import prices - $40 for 13 episodes (gag reel aside) is kinda meh.

it's a terrible blu-ray. There's no episode selection, just a 5 hour long video with rough chapter markings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Splat posted:

it's a terrible blu-ray. There's no episode selection, just a 5 hour long video with rough chapter markings.

Wow - that's disappointing. I was thinking of getting it.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
I just finished the final disc of Battlestar Galactica. I had heard lots of things about the final episode and was determined to like it. And I did...mostly. There were awesome moments, a few hiccups of continuity, but an overall satisfying (albeit forced) conclusion to the major plotlines. Then they cut away from the last sweeping shot of Adama and, as Chris Dahlen from the Onion AV Club put it, "the bottom falls out of the entire series."

:argh:ASIMO!!:argh:

Otherwise an incredible series. I'm glad I finally got around to finishing it and I'm interested to see how Caprica turns out.

Otter Wate
May 10, 2007
Do I laugh now, or wait 'til it gets funny?
Binging through Wire in the Blood for the last few weeks on instant watch Netflix. More recently I got through seasons 1 & 2 of True Blood in about three days. So. Good. I can't believe how funny, violent and hot this show is. Apparently I really love shows with "blood" in the title.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Otter Wate posted:

Binging through Wire in the Blood for the last few weeks on instant watch Netflix.

Mind giving a non-spoiler description of the show? I was thinking of giving it a shot, but I honestly have no idea what it's about. I only know that people really like it.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I just watch In the Loop and immediately headed to play.com with plans to begin an In the Thick of It binge, but was disappointed to find it's not all out on DVD yet. Ordered the first series though.

Jedi posted:

Mind giving a non-spoiler description of the show? I was thinking of giving it a shot, but I honestly have no idea what it's about. I only know that people really like it.

It's based on characters (and some episodes are based on books) written by UK crime author Val McDermid. Male clinical psychologist with issues teams up with female police detective to track down (mostly) serial killers.

It can be pretty dark and violent and as a UK show each series is fairly short which keeps the quality fairly high so it's not as up and down as US procedurals that have to stretch to 20 plus episodes a season.

In terms of tone and content it's fairly close to Cracker (the original UK one). Which, if you haven't seen is absolutely top-notch TV (as is most of Jimmy McGovern's stuff) and in my opinion a far superior show. Definitely worth a binge if you like dark serial killer type stuff. One of those shows where the 'good' guys are almost as hosed up and disfunctional as the killers they're tracking down.

And just feel the need to add that the Robert Carlyle/Hillsborough episode of Cracker is easily amongst the best single episodes of TV I've ever seen. McGovern, a Liverpudlian, also did a dramatisation of the Hillsborough Disaster, as a respnonse to complaints about the Cracker episode, which is absolutely heartbreaking and I really struggled to watch at the time and now (as a recent father) don't think I could watch at all.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 30, 2009

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Splat posted:

poo poo. It should arrive any minute now from abroad.

At least it's in HD with the same stuff on - right? :cry:

EDIT: gently caress it; I'm returning the poo poo. Queue one week more of waiting for something to watch if I decide to get the DVD. Christ.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 30, 2009

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Thanks Hello Pity - guess that's going on my Netflix queue this instant.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Cool.

If you like it and want more keep an eye out for Prime Suspect, starring Helen Mirren. It's from around the same period and usually gets mentioned in the same breath as Cracker when talking about UK crime dramas. I have a feeling that's a bit more widely known and had a bigger following in the US.

Splat
Aug 22, 2002

ufarn posted:

poo poo. It should arrive any minute now from abroad.

At least it's in HD with the same stuff on - right? :cry:

EDIT: gently caress it; I'm returning the poo poo. Queue one week more of waiting for something to watch if I decide to get the DVD. Christ.

yeah, it's HDish, but a pain to watch. Still better than nothing for me. No idea if DVD is similarly terrible.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Splat posted:

yeah, it's HDish, but a pain to watch. Still better than nothing for me. No idea if DVD is similarly terrible.
To make matters even weirder, I mailed the shop to say that I intended to return the order when I received it. After which I receive a mail saying that it hasn't even been sent yet due to supplier issues. DVD has now been ordered; I shouldn't vent my anger by depriving myself from seeing the series.

Axelmusic irrefutably loving sucks, regardless.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Finished season 3 of The Wire last night, and I'll probably start season 4 tomorrow after work. It's been good so far, I wouldn't call it THE GREATEST SHOW ON TV EVER like some would but it's quality and I recommend it to anyone looking for a good serial drama.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Finished season 3 of The Wire last night, and I'll probably start season 4 tomorrow after work. It's been good so far, I wouldn't call it THE GREATEST SHOW ON TV EVER like some would but it's quality and I recommend it to anyone looking for a good serial drama.

Serial drama doesn't quite do it justice. I'd almost call it a 60 episode mini-series.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
There's a distinction that means absolutely nothing.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

There's a distinction that means absolutely nothing.

Come to think of it, Gulliver's Travels and Earthsea were both mini-series. I am in complete agreement.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

If at the end of season 4 you don't call it the best show you've ever seen, I'd sincerely like to know to why.

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
I've been working my way through Mad Men. It started off slow, but really picks up after awhile. I enjoy the trashiness and intrigue of Don's secret double life. It's also interesting to see how people smoked and drank to excess in those days, and sexism was rampant.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They dial way back on the smoking and misogyny in later episodes. I think they realized the amount shown was ridiculous.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Jedi posted:

If at the end of season 4 you don't call it the best show you've ever seen, I'd sincerely like to know to why.

Like I said I have enjoyed what I've watched so far but if you're going to make the claim something is the best ever then I'd expect the first 60% of it to reflect that as well.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Like I said I have enjoyed what I've watched so far but if you're going to make the claim something is the best ever then I'd expect the first 60% of it to reflect that as well.

I agree with you that it should. However, it's a bit hard to judge if it's the best until you've seen the whole thing. The Wire is one long story about the city of Baltimore, with each season being a chapter.

The way I look at it is like this - seasons 1 to 3 were very good, better than most of what was on TV at the time. Once season 4 hit, that's when it jumped to the top of everyone's list. It was always a critical darling, but people really didn't start saying "BEST EVER" until after season 4.

SuckmyDick inHeaven
Oct 31, 2009

by Peatpot
I want the ROme to come out as Blu-Ray. That's cool show.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

SuckmyDick inHeaven posted:

I want the ROme to come out as Blu-Ray. That's cool show.

Come out the next month Nov 17

jazz babies
Mar 7, 2007

Almost done season 1 of Fringe.

You were right - it really picked up at The Episode about Mr. Jones (6 or 7?).

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Spent the past month or so going through Dexter and the Wire. I was planning on moving straight to Deadwood after the Wire, but holy poo poo I need a lighter show for a while. So now I'm watching all of Space Ghost.

The Wire wasn't the best show I've ever seen, just a really good show. Sorry guys.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Professor Wayne posted:

The Wire wasn't the best show I've ever seen, just a really good show. Sorry guys.

What's better, and why?

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Jedi posted:

What's better, and why?

It can sometimes come down to semantics. I think that the Wire was absurdly well written and acted, and I think that the way it addressed the systems and structures of Baltimore and how they interacted was unlike anything I've ever seen before. That said, I liked the Shield more because of the faster pacing and particular characters that I enjoyed more.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Jedi posted:

What's better, and why?

Jesus Christ will you guys (Wire fanatics) just loving stop this?

It is a very good show, but it certainly has it's flaws - ridiculous characters such as Omar and Brother Mouzone, some really awkward implementation of themes and dialogue on occasion (the Chess scene with D early in season 1 springs to mind) as well as season 5 in general.

Also the ridiculous overhyping you guys do only serves to raise expectations too high and reduce enjoyment for those watching it for the first time. Stop being so obnoxious, it is a tv show that not everyone enjoys as much as you.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Ratatozsk posted:

It can sometimes come down to semantics. I think that the Wire was absurdly well written and acted, and I think that the way it addressed the systems and structures of Baltimore and how they interacted was unlike anything I've ever seen before. That said, I liked the Shield more because of the faster pacing and particular characters that I enjoyed more.
I feel the same way about West Wing - except that it doesn't have a following as fanatic as, say, Firefly. It's a really, really great show with top-of-the-line writing (at least in the Sorkin years), but it is not a life-changing experience or, dare I say, classic.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I think McNulty is the most over the top character three season into The Wire. I don't see how someone with his attitude and insubordination could even become a homicide detective in the first place.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Smorgasbord posted:

Jesus Christ will you guys (Wire fanatics) just loving stop this?

If someone is going to make a statement that it's not the best, when nearly every noted TV critic says it is, I expect that person back up that statement with more than "Sorry, but it's not."

There's nothing wrong with asking someone to defend their position.

This is an acceptable criticism:

Ratatozsk posted:

Even if Ratatozsk had only said the bolded part, it would still be acceptable. Even your criticism, however snarky, is acceptable. Merely saying "Nope, not the best" is childish.

EDIT: As to Mouzzone and Omar being ridiculous characters. Both were baesd on real people. Every "ridiculous" situation that the characters went through, actually happened. Granted, they didn't all happen to one person, but they happened.

Jedi fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 1, 2009

dirigible stew
Feb 18, 2006

The show peaked with 4 and then had an abysmal season right after it. gently caress you Simon we get it, newspapers are dying. Can't wait till Treme just happens to show some random journalist die as a 'metaphor' :rolleyes:

dirigible stew fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 1, 2009

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Jedi, while I am 100% in agreement with you regarding the quality of The Wire, it's inevitable that other people are not going to necessarily going to have the exact same view if/when they come away from watching it. Sometimes, "just because."

That said, I don't see anything wrong with the superlative amounts of hyping. It's not a type of a show in my opinion that one would have their enjoyment of it diminished because of hyperbolic praise.

dirigible stew posted:

The show peaked with 4 and then had an abysmal season right after it. gently caress you Simon we get it, newspapers are dying. Can't wait till Treme just happens to show some random journalist die as a 'metaphor' :rolleyes:
"Abyssmal" is pretty drat harsh. I'd still pick Season 5 of The Wire over any season of The Shield.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 1, 2009

dirigible stew
Feb 18, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

"Abyssmal" is pretty drat harsh. I'd still pick Season 5 of The Wire over any season of The Shield.

Going back and reading the wiki page for the season I'm realizing the only things that really stuck with me were the awful things and the season would've been 100x better if the fake serial killer and all the newspaper stuff were dropped. Abysmal was a bit harsh but I still doubt I'd ever really want to sit down and watch it again.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
I actually agree that the Wire is one of the best shows I've ever seen but it comes in a close second to Band of Brothers for the best show of all time.

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

It is a very good show, but it certainly has it's flaws - ridiculous characters such as Omar and Brother Mouzone, some really awkward implementation of themes and dialogue on occasion (the Chess scene with D early in season 1 springs to mind) as well as season 5 in general.

I think one of The Wire's biggest flaws is a huge lack of female characters. I think David Simon himself said that even the women he writes are men.

Nonetheless, it's the best show ever.

edit: I looked to see if anyone else thought the same thing, and I found this article that sums it up rather nicely (Spoilers, of course): http://www.popmatters.com/pm/feature/women-and-the-wire/.

Vivek fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Nov 2, 2009

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jedi posted:

If someone is going to make a statement that it's not the best, when nearly every noted TV critic says it is,

This part is meant to be sarcastic, right? Right?

Micgael
Aug 8, 2007

"Gimme a kiss."
I've been watching Coupling. I like the first two seasons a lot. The third was all right, but then the fourth has just not been as great.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Micgael posted:

I've been watching Coupling. I like the first two seasons a lot. The third was all right, but then the fourth has just not been as great.

There's just no way to replace Jeff. It's not the fault of the guy who plays Oliver, but Jeff was such a huge part of that show that once he left, there was absolutely nothing they could've done to make it any good.

Micgael
Aug 8, 2007

"Gimme a kiss."
There is a hole in my heart that can only be filled by breasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghetto Wizard
Aug 11, 2007
Started watching Supernatural, it's fun - but I wonder how long before the formula starts changing a bit, because if it doesn't I imagine this could be get very boring to watch in the long run.