Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.
Logitech Performance Mouse MX

I have this mouse. It's awesome because it tracks on glass, and I have a glass desk. Goodbye mousepad!

The USB port charger is a little annoying, I think a dock is much cooler looking and easier to plug in, but every dock I've used in the past from Logitech always eventually starts crapping out, so it's probably a bonus.

The little dinky USB plug fits underneath an Apple Aluminum Keyboard without sticking out, which is super cool. The scroll wheel interlock between free-scrolling and clicky-scrolling is hardware based, so I don't have to deal with Logitech's poo poo software at all.

The charge lasts for a couple days of gaming, and the battery is user replaceable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
I had a MX518 for about a year. Then I sold it to my friend to get a G9. He loves it, just as I did. Though now I love my G9. One of the really nice features about it is the button that lets you switch between click and smooth scrolling on the wheel. Comes with 2 different grips, I found myself preferring the wide grip. I haven't really used the other mice you've listed but the G9 is awesome.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Add me to the list of everyone recommending the mx518. It's a good mouse.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!
Why is everyone recommending a corded mouse when the OP has clearly stated that a corded mouse would be a bad thing given his current desk/desk layout?

Nija
Mar 2, 2003
F A C K
I've had a Razer Mamba since April. It's fantastic and I've used both a mx500 and a mx518. The Mamba is basically the best mouse ever created.

battlepigeon
Aug 3, 2008

mx518

buy or die! That mouse will outlast everything

Priam
Jun 27, 2004

$100 for a g9? What?

The g9 and g9x are pretty much the same exact mouse, except the g9 is still sold, and for way less.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-910-000173-G9-Laser-Mouse/dp/B000UHE8Y2

I've had a g9 for well over a year now and it's been great. Logitech also sells replaceable grips and mouse feet for like $5 or something, which is really nice.

RabieSalad
Jul 14, 2008
I have a sidewinder X8 and I love it. I think I picked it up for about $60. It lets you plug it in with a magnetic adapter (that works really well) to charge and use at the same time, and it simply has a single AA rechargeable battery inside, so you can replace it with any rechargeables once that one starts to die on ya.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

battlepigeon posted:

mx518

buy or die! That mouse will outlast everything

I hate to jump on this bandwagon, but it's true.

In the past couple of years I've bought both a G9 and Razer Deathadder.

The G9 just stopped tracking at random points, and the tilt wheel doesn't have enough resistance on it. The Deathadder is great though, if not a touch too fat to be comfy for me compared to the MX518. The MX518 is just too perfect a mouse to ever be replaced honestly.

Personally I find tilt wheels the most annoying part of any new mouse, I'm glad Razer has the sense to avoid them, but the new Logitech G500 uses one which is the only reason I haven't picked one up.

That being said, you should bite the bullet and just buy a Razer Naga. I mean, more buttons = better mouse, right?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

breaks
May 12, 2001

The Deathadder is the perfect mouse. The Mamba is the wireless/laser version but it costs twice as much. I've always found the MX518 and similar Logitechs kind of unwieldy myself. It's all down to personal preference I suppose.

On the other hand I think we can all agree that that Naga disaster is surely the worst mouse.

Nija
Mar 2, 2003
F A C K

breaks posted:

The Deathadder is the perfect mouse. The Mamba is the wireless/laser version but it costs twice as much.

I'm just picking nits here, but they are two different mice. From certain angles they might look like they share the same chassis, but they do not.

Hey!
Feb 27, 2001

MORE MONEY = BETTER THAN
I would absolutely spend $100 on a mouse if I thought it was good enough. Same goes for keyboards, you use these things all the time so get the one that suits you best.

Personally I'm still using an old-rear end Wireless Intellimouse Explorer. Nobody has made made a better mouse than this yet, and they're getting hard to find.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

Unexpected EOF posted:

Why is everyone recommending a corded mouse when the OP has clearly stated that a corded mouse would be a bad thing given his current desk/desk layout?
I dunno we sort of got on this mx518 tangent/orgy but I guess you are right.

I retract my recommendation.

Get the Logitech MX Revolution for $60.

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.
i HAVE been eyeballing the logitech g500. it seems to have similar guts to the g9x, but a better form factor and the scroll wheel clutch and dpi buttons are in a MUCH better place.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104318

breaks
May 12, 2001

Nija posted:

I'm just picking nits here, but they are two different mice. From certain angles they might look like they share the same chassis, but they do not.

In those pics the DA is almost straight on from the side (and the pic also seems stretched a bit) but the Mamba is at a bit of an angle. In this one it's the other way around, and you can see it makes them look the other way around too (DA a little fatter, Mamba a little longer):

http://headsetchatter.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/img_2763.jpg

In reality the shape is identical. The only noticeable difference in feel is that on the Mamba the area under the side buttons has a slightly different shape and the grippy texture. Now I've written two paragraphs too many about these mice. :shobon:

uncola
Apr 21, 2002
I have a g9 and a deathadder.. I love the g9 for the freescrolling wheel.. it's basically a physical implementation of kinetic scrolling. That said, if you like to palm your mouse, the deathadder fits perfectly. the g9 is more of a klaw grip finger mouse

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

uncola posted:

I have a g9 and a deathadder.. I love the g9 for the freescrolling wheel.. it's basically a physical implementation of kinetic scrolling. That said, if you like to palm your mouse, the deathadder fits perfectly. the g9 is more of a klaw grip finger mouse

See, I love a stiffer mouse wheel. I don't know if anybody here remembers the original boomslang, but it had easily the best mouse wheel I've ever used. Very stiff with very pronounced *clicks*.

isagoon
Aug 31, 2009

by Peatpot

dvgrhl posted:

I have a Logitech MX Revolution, which I got when my 2 year old MX1000 (I think this was the model) stopped holding a charge. Logitech sent it to me for free since their mice come with a 3 year warranty. I absolutely love it, and will only buy Logitech mice in the future.

As to if $100 is worth it, next to the keyboard, the mouse is the part of the computer you use the most. Having a good mouse that is comfortable and has the features you want is easily worth spending $100 if you have it. And with a Logitech mouse you are guaranteed to get 3 years out of it.

Mice aren't like a Killer NIC or anything like that, the $100 ones cost more because they are typically worth the extra cost.

I love my MX Revolution. There are few things I have that I really think 'yeah, that was worth the money', and my MX fall into that category. I got mine for around $80 at CC (some years ago), and when it finally started stuttering and acting weird a few month ago, Logitech was awesome and sent me out a new one!

One of the small things that I have noticed is that you can slightly improve the moue performance by placing the wireless adapter as close to the mouse as possible. I have my receiver on a USB extension cord zip tied right above my moue on the part of the desk above the keyboard tray.

Planeswalker
Jun 20, 2003
Call me crazy, but I have spent $100 3 times for mice. I bought 3 of the Razer Boomslang CE2007 mice.

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-mice/razer-boomslang

There is a lot of hate with the shape of the mice but I have been using the boomslangs since 1999 and only recently changed to the above mouse because my old boomslang 2100 did not have 64 bit drivers/software. I have found that after using one after a few days, I adjusted to the shape of it and have been using it daily. I bought so many since I use one at work, at home, and keep one as a spare since it was a "limited" run of 10,000 of them. I am actually thinking of buying another one for a spare...

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

The Razer Lachesis is a fantastic mouse. Razer makes a lot of hilarious bullshit, but the Lachesis, Copperhead and some others are all really, really good.

Also it's not $100, it's $60.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

It's kind of sad that I've owned every single mouse you're asking about except for one.

I've owned 2 MX518's. The first one died from a static shock way outside of the warranty period and they still sent me a replacement free of charge and didn't require me to send the original broken one back.

The Sidewinder Mouse was OK, but for some reason either software or hardware, the middle DPI on the fly button stopped working. Other than that, it was pretty comfortable. I replaced the Sidewinder with a Razer Lachesis and that crapped out on me after about 1 year. Razer wanted me to send it back in with a proof of purchase which I had tossed out many months ago. The Lachesis was probably the least favorite of the mice I owned. It wasn't very comfortable due to it's small size and was too light.

The Razer got replaced with a G9X and I'm pretty happy with it. Has some heft, feels solid, and I know if it breaks, Logitech would take care of me, no questions asked.

Stick with Logitech as they have some of the best warranty service out there. Did you ask them about your MX5000? They'll probably fix/replace that too.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 2, 2009

GobyWan
Jun 5, 2006
tiny plastic novelty palm trees are all I need
My MX518 has served me well for 6 years, but the more I use my new MX Revolution, the more I love it. If you're going wireless and it's easy to get it for $60, I would definitely recommend it. (and download UberOptions, it makes the side wheel a lot more useful.) I've compared it with the MX518 in games and it has basically no input lag at all, it lasts forever on a full charge, and it has more buttons than you'll ever need.

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Buy this mouse http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826129050 and donate the rest of the $100 to charity.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!
If there was a god and he had intended man to use a mouse, it would be the MX Revolution.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Lollerich posted:

If there was a god and he had intended man to use a mouse, it would be the MX Revolution.

Yeah. I've been using one since they came out. For everything non-gaming, they are the best hands down.

As for the topic on hand, all I can say is to buy the mouse you want. Get the one that suits your needs and is comfortable. If it's a $10 mouse from Big Lots, awesome. If it's a $100 Logitech or whatever, who cares. Having a lovely mouse is one of the worst things imaginable.

AGlassOfMilk
Aug 21, 2008

This is the only mouse you'll ever need.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826249020

Hey!
Feb 27, 2001

MORE MONEY = BETTER THAN
Can most mice do application-specific binding these days? (Like, clicking a side button on the mouse sends a different keypress to iTunes than to Firefox) For a long time only MS mice could do this, via IntelliPoint.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Lollerich posted:

Yup.

That said I haven't bought one yet because my G5 rocks. And is wired. The way I like it.

amishpurple
Jul 21, 2006

I'm not insane, I'm just not user-friendly!
MX518 all the loving way. I've had mine for at least 4 or 5 years and I love the thing.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Every six months or so I go searching to see how much MX518's are selling for, but then realize that the MX500 that I got for free when my friend upgraded to an MX510 still works perfectly after 7 years or so and I can't find a single complaint after all these years.

HiFiSi
Apr 11, 2007

Hey! posted:

Can most mice do application-specific binding these days? (Like, clicking a side button on the mouse sends a different keypress to iTunes than to Firefox) For a long time only MS mice could do this, via IntelliPoint.
Yeah most (higher priced) mice come with their own software (100% sure about Logitech & Microsoft, but do not know about Razer) that will allow you to use program specific mouse button settings, such as in your browser you could use your two thumb buttons for copy and paste and when Itunes is the currently focused application those same buttons can be forward and back.

I personally can recommend the Logitech MX Revolution. Rechargable, user replaceable batteries (you can even use standard AA batteries if you wish), good weight, very comfortable shape, many usable buttons... That second scroll wheel is a blessing, you have no idea what kinds of things you can map to it, but once you start messing around with it you'll be glad it's there. I got mine as part of the Revolution desktop set. The keyboard is pretty drat great too, aside from there being no backlight for the LCD, but I guess that should be expected from a wireless keyboard to save battery life.

Also the Microsoft wireless laser mouse is a really awesome piece of equipment for the price. It's about the most ergonomically perfect mouse I've ever used, although I had one of the first laser models and they seem to have a slightly different shape with each model. Also they last FOREVER. Mine was one of the first laser versions they released. It went I think 6 or 7 years of HEAVY abuse before I replaced it with the Revolution. Not because it broke, but because the rubber on the scroll wheel was so chewed up I couldn't turn it well any more and because the mouse as a whole just looked... gross... from all the built-up gunk from years of being touched. And the best thing about these mice is the battery life. Two standard AA batteries can go for MONTHS in one of these mice. I've had a set of batteries last for almost half a year one time. Just make sure you're not looking at the "notebook" versions. Those are super tiny and not good for gaming at all.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
I got two mice for £3 and it owns so drat bad, in a good way.

Griz
May 21, 2001

HiFiSi posted:

I personally can recommend the Logitech MX Revolution. Rechargable, user replaceable batteries (you can even use standard AA batteries if you wish), good weight, very comfortable shape, many usable buttons...

MX Revolution has a built-in rechargeable battery. VX Revolution is the laptop version that uses AAs, but I can't find it on the Logitech site any more.

StupidFatHobbit
Jan 15, 2004

dvgrhl posted:

I have a Logitech MX Revolution...I absolutely love it, and will only buy Logitech mice in the future.

wintermuteCF posted:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104015
Logitech MX Revolution
$59.99 now. Best mouse I've ever owned.

Great White Hope! posted:

I have this mouse and it is awesome. There are more buttons on it than you'll know what to do with. It holds a very long charge and it has almost no input lag at all.

dMastri posted:

Get the Logitech MX Revolution for $60.

isagoon posted:

I love my MX Revolution. There are few things I have that I really think 'yeah, that was worth the money', and my MX fall into that category. I got mine for around $80 at CC (some years ago), and when it finally started stuttering and acting weird a few month ago, Logitech was awesome and sent me out a new one!

GobyWan posted:

the more I use my new MX Revolution, the more I love it. If you're going wireless and it's easy to get it for $60, I would definitely recommend it.

Lollerich posted:

Joe Don Baker posted:

Yeah. I've been using one since they came out. For everything non-gaming, they are the best hands down.

HiFiSi posted:

I personally can recommend the Logitech MX Revolution

Yeah the revolution is pretty awesome, once you free scroll you will never go back. Just buy one already. Works just fine for heavy gaming too, including competitive FPS games. Plus having a potential five buttons on the thumb is pretty awesome.

StupidFatHobbit fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 3, 2009

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

StupidFatHobbit posted:

Yeah the revolution is pretty awesome, once you free scroll you will never go back. Just buy one already. Works just fine for heavy gaming too, including competitive FPS games. Plus having a potential five buttons on the thumb is pretty awesome.

I had the VX Revolution for the longest time and I loved it. Then one of my laptop's 4 USB ports stopped working for no reason, so I decided to go Bluetooth. I really wish there were better Bluetooth mice out there.

I'm using this one at the moment. Not too bad.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Unexpected EOF posted:

His first post states nothing about requiring wireless, and 3 of the 4 mice he was originally considering are corded.

If getting corded suggestions bothered him, he'd have edited his first post.

Edit: vvv I know, I'm saying unless he edits his first post, people aren't going to stop posting corded alternatives.

epswing fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Nov 3, 2009

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

Sointenly posted:

The way my desk is set up, it is very unfriendly to a corded mouse... I agree that their value is probably superior, but cordless just ends up being a better option for me.

It's not in the OP, but it's a few posts down the first page.

I said it already, but just get the MX Revolution. Probably the best bang for your buck, extraordinarily comfortable to use, excellent batteries with good recharging station, high resolution and precision, more buttons than you can shake a stick at, excellent price (60% of your original statement), reliable as the day is long, good driver support, lots of "wow" factor, and probably more overall rounded than most other mice you'll find.

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.
you jerks got my mouse lust going and i picked up the logitech g500 after work. not sure if i like it. i'm so used to the claw grip of the g9 that the g500 feels like it's so big it gets in the way. it's nice, but it'll take some getting used to.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Hey! posted:

uberOptions will do this for just about any Logitech mouse that uses SetPoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

wintermuteCF posted:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104015
Logitech MX Revolution

Wireless, Laser, Rechargeable with a charging station, and very ergonomic.

$59.99 now. Best mouse I've ever owned.

This is absolutely the best mouse in the universe and I would gladly pay $100 if logitech would get off their asses and release a BLUETOOTH version with proper OSX support.