Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

Hey! posted:

I would absolutely spend $100 on a mouse if I thought it was good enough. Same goes for keyboards, you use these things all the time so get the one that suits you best.

Personally I'm still using an old-rear end Wireless Intellimouse Explorer. Nobody has made made a better mouse than this yet, and they're getting hard to find.

These were great. I went through 2 or 3 of them when they were around. I absolutely hate the weird tilting wheel and the thumb buttons on the newer models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiFiSi
Apr 11, 2007

Griz posted:

MX Revolution has a built-in rechargeable battery. VX Revolution is the laptop version that uses AAs, but I can't find it on the Logitech site any more.
Yep, my fault. I don't know why I was thinking that... For some reason in my head I remember putting batteries in it when I took it out of the box but I guess that was only for the keyboard that came with it.

Some Random Asshole
Apr 30, 2006

HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS

shodanjr_gr posted:

This is absolutely the best mouse in the universe and I would gladly pay $100 if logitech would get off their asses and release a BLUETOOTH version with proper OSX support.

just for the record this exists (the bluetooth part) in the MX5500 desktop set. not much OSX support though, seems to think all the thumb buttons are middle-clicks

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Some Random rear end in a top hat posted:

just for the record this exists (the bluetooth part) in the MX5500 desktop set. not much OSX support though, seems to think all the thumb buttons are middle-clicks

Seems that I have to buy this set. I cannot go against all the goon love for the revolution.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Another MX Revolution user here. Picked it up on sale for $40-50 a few years ago and I've had absolutely no complaints, and I love the scroll wheel. Been thinking about picking up another one so I can use it at work too.

Is there anything majorly different between the MX Rev and the Performance MX? They look pretty similar at first glance, haven't looked too much at the Performance MX though since my Revolution is still going strong.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I have the (wired) IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0... just suits my hand and everything seems to be in the right place... then again, I've used this over all other mice for ages.

Oh... but the main point is just get what you prefer and your most comfortable with. I have a simple Dell mouse at work and like it a lot... but it's nothing special on paper

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
I bought an MX Revolution refurb for $20 a year ago? Years, ago? It was perfect then, it's perfect now. I almost bought another when Best Buy had them for $50.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Nibble posted:

Another MX Revolution user here. Picked it up on sale for $40-50 a few years ago and I've had absolutely no complaints, and I love the scroll wheel. Been thinking about picking up another one so I can use it at work too.

Is there anything majorly different between the MX Rev and the Performance MX? They look pretty similar at first glance, haven't looked too much at the Performance MX though since my Revolution is still going strong.

Performance MX: No thumb wheel thing, but it has a thumb button and a little button under the back-forward keys. The scroll wheel free/clicky switch is now hardware. It tracks on glass. It uses mini USB instead of a dock.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
MX700 Media PC
MX1000 Work PC
MX518 Desktop PC
MX1000 Mac

I've used 3 differnt MS mice during that time, but I've given them all to frinds because I ALWAYS find myself enjoying logitech better. Intellimouse explorer 2.0 is my runner up to those 4, and i have 3 of them as backups...but I would never part with any Logitech I've ever bought!

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

A cheaper alternative to the MX Revolution would be the MX620. I picked one up on sale as an extra wireless mouse for my PC and Macbook, and it's been working pretty great. The receiver's small, it uses 2 AAs that last very long, and it just feels nice overall. It uses a switch on the bottom to switch between free spin and clicky scrollwheel though. I use a G5v2 for general gaming and the MX620 for everything else.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The MX Revolution periodically goes on sale at Amazon for $45. I've seen it go down to that price 3-4 times. A couple months ago I couldn't resist and bought it. It's a great mouse and all the functions work natively on OSX.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

StupidFatHobbit posted:

Yeah the revolution is pretty awesome, once you free scroll you will never go back. Just buy one already. Works just fine for heavy gaming too, including competitive FPS games. Plus having a potential five buttons on the thumb is pretty awesome.

Ya, so I'm pretty much decided on the MX revolution. However, i waited too long and all the cool sales you guys pointed out seem to end over the weekend. Newegg is back up to $84.

If someone has a source on one cheaper please let me know.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Sointenly posted:

Ya, so I'm pretty much decided on the MX revolution. However, i waited too long and all the cool sales you guys pointed out seem to end over the weekend. Newegg is back up to $84.

If someone has a source on one cheaper please let me know.

This mouse at Amazon is supposedly the "newer revision of the MX Revolution". For a mouse like this you'll be paying around $80 to $90 anyway.

HiFiSi
Apr 11, 2007

Weinertron posted:

This mouse at Amazon is supposedly the "newer revision of the MX Revolution". For a mouse like this you'll be paying around $80 to $90 anyway.
Not quite the same, as has been mentioned earlier in this topic. That is the bluetooth version. Almost the same mouse, except it does not have the 2nd scroll wheel that you can use with your thumb.

Between these 2 mice (MX Revolution and Performance Mouse MX) the deciding factor would probably be the bluetooth. If you NEED bluetooth, get the Performance MX. If you don't need bluetooth, get the revolution as the performance is pretty much identical except you have that thumb wheel which is amazingly useful for video gaming. Also the Revolution MX looks to now be a "previous generation" model as it's not shown on the current lineup on Logitech's site.

HiFiSi fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 3, 2009

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008
Strange, now its back down to $59 on Newegg...

Going to grab it, thanks everyone.

HiFiSi
Apr 11, 2007

Sointenly posted:

Strange, now its back down to $59 on Newegg...

Going to grab it, thanks everyone.
Holy poo poo you're right!

Retail price: $99.99
$45 OFF!

$54.99 and FREE SHIPPING

No way I can pass that up. I just bought 2 more. One for work and one for my media center desktop.

Good thing I check up on old posts lol

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Logitech keeps replacing my mice when they break, for free.

Recluse
Mar 5, 2004

Yeah, I did that.
Because we certainly didn't have enough Logitech MX Revolution posts, I'll throw another one in. Great mouse, the only complaint I have is the wireless receiver doesn't work so well on the rear USB ports on my PC which sits on the floor so I had to use up one of my precious front ports. I was very sad the day I accidently kicked the receiver and broke the USB connector off but $10 on the Logitech store and 2 days later I was back in business; although from other posts it seems like all I would've had to do was ask them nicely for a new one.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

Recluse posted:

Because we certainly didn't have enough Logitech MX Revolution posts, I'll throw another one in. Great mouse, the only complaint I have is the wireless receiver doesn't work so well on the rear USB ports on my PC which sits on the floor so I had to use up one of my precious front ports. I was very sad the day I accidently kicked the receiver and broke the USB connector off but $10 on the Logitech store and 2 days later I was back in business; although from other posts it seems like all I would've had to do was ask them nicely for a new one.

My MX5000 came with a nifty little USB extender dock for the receiver... you should look into this.

DAMN IT
Apr 29, 2008

HiFiSi posted:

Not quite the same, as has been mentioned earlier in this topic. That is the bluetooth version. Almost the same mouse, except it does not have the 2nd scroll wheel that you can use with your thumb.

Between these 2 mice (MX Revolution and Performance Mouse MX) the deciding factor would probably be the bluetooth. If you NEED bluetooth, get the Performance MX. If you don't need bluetooth, get the revolution as the performance is pretty much identical except you have that thumb wheel which is amazingly useful for video gaming. Also the Revolution MX looks to now be a "previous generation" model as it's not shown on the current lineup on Logitech's site.

(pics)

The Performance Mouse MX does not have bluetooth. It uses the same 2.4 GHz wireless as the MX Revolution. You are probably thinking of the mouse that comes with the MX 5500 mouse & keyboard bundle. That is the bluetooth version of the MX Revolution.

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

I'd totally jump on that deal for the Revolution, but I already have a Logitech Wave cordless mouse/keyboard combo, and I have no idea if I could use the same USB reciever while simply swapping out the LX8 for the Revolution. Logitech's website is no help, and Google didn't answer me either.

HiFiSi
Apr 11, 2007

corb01772 posted:

The Performance Mouse MX does not have bluetooth. It uses the same 2.4 GHz wireless as the MX Revolution. You are probably thinking of the mouse that comes with the MX 5500 mouse & keyboard bundle. That is the bluetooth version of the MX Revolution.
Ah... right. My fault. That little tiny rear end USB reciever was screaming bluetooth at me. Never seen an RF receiver for USB that was that small. Well I guess that means there is NO reason to get the performance mouse over the revolution, especially now that the revolution is almost half the price of the performance MX at newegg.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Are there any decent wireless mice with the 3rd and 4th button on opposite sides like the Microsoft Intellimouse Optical 1.0? It is pretty much the greatest mouse ever, other than the fact that it's wired.

http://www.microsoft.com/products/info/product.aspx?view=21&pcid=6d84da20-67bc-4d16-a1f8-c89637d8b911&type=ovr

HiFiSi
Apr 11, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

Are there any decent wireless mice with the 3rd and 4th button on opposite sides like the Microsoft Intellimouse Optical 1.0? It is pretty much the greatest mouse ever, other than the fact that it's wired.

http://www.microsoft.com/products/info/product.aspx?view=21&pcid=6d84da20-67bc-4d16-a1f8-c89637d8b911&type=ovr
Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 5000

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

I've tried pretty much all of the gamer mice over the years, but I've always went back to the Inteli Explorer 3.0 and later the rerelease. Combine it with USB port tweaked to 1000hz, it's perfect for me.

Kadin
Sep 9, 2009
I'm not against paying for good hardware, especially hardware that doesn't get obsoleted quickly (and input devices are a good example of this; a good keyboard will outlast many computers), but $100 for a mouse seems pretty steep. I don't think I'd go there unless there was a really compelling, specific feature that you couldn't find anywhere else.

It's one thing if there was some one-of-a-kind left-handed liquid-fueled telepathic supermouse, but the ones in question don't look that much better than the typical $40-50 jobs.

Maybe they are worth it and I'm missing out on something awesome, but I'm skeptical.

Profane Obituary!
May 19, 2009

This Motherfucker is Dead
Am i the only one who uses a trackman?

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

Profane Obituary! posted:

I like a good trackball, but the best trackball ever created was the Trackman Marble FX, and there are no wired trackballs with similar button / ball placements.

Microsoft has one that is close enough, but the ball needs polished fairly often for some reason, never had that problem with the Trackman.

I keep meaning to find an old Trackman Marble but on E-bay they go for like 70 bucks or more.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Kadin posted:

It's one thing if there was some one-of-a-kind left-handed liquid-fueled telepathic supermouse, but the ones in question don't look that much better than the typical $40-50 jobs.

Maybe they are worth it and I'm missing out on something awesome, but I'm skeptical.

Part of the deal is that a lot of these "100 dollar mice" can be found for $40-50 if you wait for a good sale. My MX Revoution was 40 bucks, and it was worth it at that price. I've seen the g9 and similar price on sale for that much too, and on an equal price footing they generally are much better mice.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
I've loved the MX518 for years. Just this past weekend I needed to get a new mouse, Best Buy had both the 518 and the new G500. I decided I would try the G500, but that was a bad idea. It felt alright in my hand, and the free scrolling wheel was nice. However I hated how it tracked, it felt laggy and unresponsive. I messed with all the settings, but I could never get anything consistent.

I returned it and picked up another 518, brought it home and haven't looked back.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I love you. You are my loving hero.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

Linux Nazi posted:

I hate to jump on this bandwagon, but it's true.

In the past couple of years I've bought both a G9 and Razer Deathadder.

The G9 just stopped tracking at random points, and the tilt wheel doesn't have enough resistance on it. The Deathadder is great though, if not a touch too fat to be comfy for me compared to the MX518. The MX518 is just too perfect a mouse to ever be replaced honestly.

Personally I find tilt wheels the most annoying part of any new mouse, I'm glad Razer has the sense to avoid them, but the new Logitech G500 uses one which is the only reason I haven't picked one up.

That being said, you should bite the bullet and just buy a Razer Naga. I mean, more buttons = better mouse, right?

You know those mice were initially supposed to ship with the Atari Jaguar, right?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Linux Nazi posted:

I like a good trackball, but the best trackball ever created was the Trackman Marble FX, and there are no wired trackballs with similar button / ball placements.

The Trackball Explorer won me over long ago, I used it for years. 4 buttons, thumb-scrolling, ball big enough to control accurately. True though, you did have to clean it often.

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

HOWEVER, now I use the Kensington Expert Mouse and haven't looked back, the ball is huuuge. Excellent precision. And see that ring around the ball? THAT'S the scroll wheel!

Y2J
Aug 18, 2000

The Ayatollah of Rock and Rollah
I use a copperhead at home and a Boomslang at work. I have 2 extra copperheads in boxes from woot I bought for like 35 each just for the hell of it for a good price as spares. Nothing beats the Boomslang though - http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Boomslang-Collectors-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B0010XR33I/ - well worth the $100

Y2J fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 5, 2009

HiFiSi
Apr 11, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

I love you. You are my loving hero.
Hey look! :20bux: + free shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826105049

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

For what it is worth, a friend's company introduced thumbballs to all their staff and within a month, most people had RSI on their thumbs.

Now, the finger trackball worked very well for me. The only issue I had is that is is hard to swap from mouse to trackball - the relearning curve may be only a couple of minutes, but when you are constantly using other people's computers (IT support), it's irritating.

On the other hand, now that I am using only one PC, maybe it is time to dig that track ball out of the cupboard again...

Profane Obituary!
May 19, 2009

This Motherfucker is Dead

Linux Nazi posted:

Oh god i had a Marble FX for awhile and that thing was godly, the biggest complaint i have with my trackman is 2 buttons + scroll wheel is fairly limited.

spog posted:

For what it is worth, a friend's company introduced thumbballs to all their staff and within a month, most people had RSI on their thumbs.

That sucks, ive been using a trackman for years and never had that problem. I have tendinitis so a regular mouse loving KILLS ME.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008
Alright, so i have one small quirk with my new MX Revo...

The strange default assignments that they give to the scroll wheel and thumb buttons. I mean it would seem logical that the thumb wheel would be set to "thumb wheel" by default right? (its not!) but its pretty easily corrected with the logitech software.

Also, for those of you who have this mouse... do you use the "smart scrool" or just manually change the scroll?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I normally use the smart scroll, that way I can have my middle mouse button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

HiFiSi posted:

Hey look! :20bux: + free shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826105049

Jumping on that poo poo, thank you. Even if it doesn't work out, 20 bucks for a nicer wireless mouse is a great little investment. Thanks again!