Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pantalones!
Sep 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Spiral posted:

Sorry, I take back my compliment if you only feel you are better than a single person.

I needed that compliment :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

Pantalones! posted:

Yes exactly this is what I said.

But yes, someone who is honest about their beatles influence and serious about making music he loves will probably make better music than the guy whose main influence is mychildren mybride and who's only making music so that people will say DUDE THAT WAS A SICK BREAKDOWN.

So the actual influences listed doesn't matter? OK, so not what you said.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Pantalones! posted:

But yes, someone who is honest about their beatles influence and serious about making music he loves will probably make better music than the guy whose main influence is mychildren mybride and who's only making music so that people will say DUDE THAT WAS A SICK BREAKDOWN.

I agree with you, with emphasis on the probably. I will at least take a band a little bit more seriously if they are honest about their real influences. I tend to have a distaste for bands who are in just for the breakdowns and not for the real passion of music and the scene.

Pantalones!
Sep 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl

ShoogaSlim posted:

I agree with you, with emphasis on the probably. I will at least take a band a little bit more seriously if they are honest about their real influences. I tend to have a distaste for bands who are in just for the breakdowns and not for the real passion of music and the scene.

The emphasis as always been on the probably, which is what the bunt doesn't seem to get.

DERAIL OVER

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Yeah you guys are all being big gay babies :v:

Anyway, anyone heard of Wish for Wings? I haven't listened to them much, but I really like their song Day by Day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksHXdLwvNN0

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Never heard of them. They aren't all that great sounding. Reminds me of the direction that Bury Your Dead and Throwdown have taken. Since they turned to poo poo that is.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

ShoogaSlim posted:

Never heard of them. They aren't all that great sounding. Reminds me of the direction that Bury Your Dead and Throwdown have taken. Since they turned to poo poo that is.

They're nothing super special, just something else to listen to I guess.

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Anyway, anyone heard of Wish for Wings? I haven't listened to them much, but I really like their song Day by Day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksHXdLwvNN0

Okay, this is exactly the kind of poo poo I'm talking about. I'm not trying to bitch at you or anything, but this fits that comment I made about christian-core. Listen to 2:43 in that link you posted and tell me that's a good transition or even a transition at all. I feel like these guys got together one weekend and said "hey, want to write uninspired Christian hardcore with a breakdown or two?", and the other guys all said "YEAH BRUTAL XXX!!!".

My point is not to rip you apart for liking this band, I hate when people do that. I know people like it and I don't, and that's my business. I just want to know if I'm alone on an island in the middle of a sea, and as the climate change that is Christianlazycore melts the ice caps that are musical variety and originality, causing the water of endless drone to rise; will I still be alone on this island or will more be forced up to the high ground to join me?

Does anyone understand my analogy?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

I think it's a bit of a reaching analogy but I understand what you're getting at. Impending Doom is a good example of lazy christian hardcore. Anah Aevia was an old band that was christian but they were awesome. poo poo like Sleeping Giant just sucks whether it's christian or not, but more so because it is :smug:

e: I've been trying to think of other atheist bands and unfortunately I only have one who also broke up, but they're amazin. If Hope Dies

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Nov 4, 2009

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

My point isn't that Christian metal is bad, I'm using the word Christiancore as a sort of example. It's just the fact that it's now "hip" or "totally rad" to be in a Christian band that sounds like every other band. For the most part.

Add a lazy hardcore breakdown or an auto-tuned lazy melodic part and you're set. Add a two-step, play in any order, and you're good.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
You're not alone... just realize it's a stream on both ends. Music that you may consider noise may be awesome to someone else. I don't go for the breakdown bands either, but I know others like them so... so be it. I don't like country western either, so what do I know? It's pretty popular. I like tech-death but many people poo-poo on it, saying it has no emotion. *shrug* To each their own...

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

Now, now, I never said I don't like breakdowns or music some people would refer to as noise, but that's not your point.

I don't think that the most popular music is that way because people like it, per se; it's more so because what is being played is what people listen to, and that sort of stems off of itself. For example, Timbaland comes out with a song that everyone loves because it's Timbaland, and then Akon comes out with a song that sort of sounds like that too (or at least like the genre), and it all sort of stems off of itself until eventually it might become something new, but people still like it because they followed it for so long. It's a form of evolution, I guess. The same can be said about any genre, it's just that I used the radio as an example because it seems to be the majority opinion.

Although this phenomena (while not proven in any way, shape, or form) might lead some to say "Hey, don't listen to that, you only like it because it's on the radio!", I understand that each person has their own taste and can listen to what they want to. I just don't think it is a stream on both ends like you say. I dislike the wave of monotonous whatever-core for different reasons than people would dislike what I listen to.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

August burns red is good christian metalcore.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

But they suck live. I saw them with Acacia Strain the other weekend. How did they come out of nowhere and start headlining shows?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

They have been around for many years dude!

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

A5H posted:

They have been around for many years dude!

Seconded. They did a double headlining tour thing with Between the Buried and Me a few years back.

edit: And they're okay.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

August Burns Red sound great on record, I've never seen them live. But it sounds a bit off for the Strain to be opening for them... should be the other way around.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Business Raptor posted:

Okay, this is exactly the kind of poo poo I'm talking about. I'm not trying to bitch at you or anything, but this fits that comment I made about christian-core. Listen to 2:43 in that link you posted and tell me that's a good transition or even a transition at all. I feel like these guys got together one weekend and said "hey, want to write uninspired Christian hardcore with a breakdown or two?", and the other guys all said "YEAH BRUTAL XXX!!!".

My point is not to rip you apart for liking this band, I hate when people do that. I know people like it and I don't, and that's my business. I just want to know if I'm alone on an island in the middle of a sea, and as the climate change that is Christianlazycore melts the ice caps that are musical variety and originality, causing the water of endless drone to rise; will I still be alone on this island or will more be forced up to the high ground to join me?

Does anyone understand my analogy?

Excuse the following line, my reading comprehension failed me at first.

Holy poo poo I never even noticed they were a Christian band :psyduck: I never really listened to the words. To be honest, I only ever really listen to that song for the breakdown at the end because it has that sweet Law and Order sample ohgod please don't make fun of me :blush:

e: Orrrrr maybe you weren't saying they were Christian, but rather comparing them to the lazy Christiancore... that makes more sense

Looking at the lyrics, there's nothing blatantly Christian about them.

And yeah, the song isn't very technical or anything, and it's uninspired, but I always just kind of thought of it as a kind of fun song, much like Dead Language for a Dying Lady by Vanna.

Anyways, on the topic of what I would hope dudes in this thread would call good music, has The Faceless been discussed recently? I've only ever listened to their Akeldama CD, but it is pretty loving rad. Leica, especially, is amazing.

Oh, and August Burns Red - I've only ever listened to Messengers, and some of the songs on there sound pretty good, but almost every song on the CD sounds exactly the same at parts.

Traitorous Leopard fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 4, 2009

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

Anyways, on the topic of what I would hope dudes in this thread would call good music, has The Faceless been discussed recently? I've only ever listened to their Akeldama CD, but it is pretty loving rad. Leica, especially, is amazing.
The Faceless is pretty awesome. If you haven't heard it yet, their newer album - Planetary Duality is great as well. On the discussion of great breakdowns, I think the breakdown in An Autopsy by The Faceless is my favorite breakdown ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2zmUHZEwYM

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Yeah I really liked The Faceless' first album a lot, but then I heard Planetary Duality and they just became more complicated than I cared for. Also, when I saw them live with Suicide Silence, they had a different singer than from the album and he loving blew so god drat bad it was embarrassing.

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

Looking at the lyrics, there's nothing blatantly Christian about them.

They're called Wish for Wings, their myspace is myspace.com/wishforwingsxxx, and they have a song called afterlife. I remember hearing something Christian in their lyrics too, but I'm not about to go and look for it because I think the evidence is almost overwhelming. Once again it's not the fact that they're Christian that makes them bad, it's the fact that they're Christian infused with the same thing as everybody else, making it even more the same as everybody else. Just very uninspired I find. You're right on both accounts: I was saying they're very Christian AND I was comparing them to Christiancore.

And on the topic of The Faceless, I've always really liked them, but only specific songs. I remember a while back I got web demos for Ghost of a Stranger, An Autopsy, and Dig Out Your Scars. While Dig Out Your Scars was obviously a little weak the other two were fantastic. When they came out the with the album however they remixed the songs and changed a few parts around, so it sort of sounds a little off on the album but still good. I just wish they would make up their mind about what kind of music they want to play and not have all the songs on the album sound like different genres. Haven't heard their new stuff though.

Please tell me SOMEONE still listens to The Sawtooth Grin?

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Business Raptor posted:

They're called Wish for Wings, their myspace is myspace.com/wishforwingsxxx, and they have a song called afterlife. I remember hearing something Christian in their lyrics too, but I'm not about to go and look for it because I think the evidence is almost overwhelming. Once again it's not the fact that they're Christian that makes them bad, it's the fact that they're Christian infused with the same thing as everybody else, making it even more the same as everybody else. Just very uninspired I find. You're right on both accounts: I was saying they're very Christian AND I was comparing them to Christiancore.

Well, I'd say "Wish for Wings" could imply any number of things, many of which aren't really religious at all (maybe wishing for figurative wings to fly away from what they may consider a bad point in their life... probably could have worded that better). I'll agree the myspace "xxx t0t4lly br00tal d00d" is pretty lame. Here's the lyrics to Afterlife:

quote:

Can you feel them, feel the watching from beyond
That eerie feeling deep inside the one you can't explain
Troubled souls ignored like a ship lost at sea
It's like the distance growing deeper between you and me
How do you feel knowing times at its end
Decomposed like the corpse we all turn to be
Can't stop thinking about the times I'm missing
It's an untold tale of this story of betrayal
Time goes by I can watch them die
No one hears you no one sees you can I hear the cry
As time passes by
Sometimes I feel like I've passed on by
Can't stop wandering into the afterlife
Afterlife
I can't stop No
I won't stop No
I've put too much into this

I'd say that it could be argued either way, but leaning towards non-religious. Then we have a song like Death Before Disco:

quote:

Pride you wouldn't know a loving thing about it
Life start living yours and worry about yourself
Before it all passes you by
And you know that it's just too late it's gone it's over
Revenge I seek revenge on you for all that you've put me through
I'm sick of hearing the same loving tune
Been on top for too long I'm at my wits end
I'm damaged goods so stay away far from me
Hatefulness I'll loving snap
So what am i to do with all these chances I've given you
This time I've changed my ways
I'm still loving breathing Generous is all I've ever been to you
Treated fair and open handed you've thrown it all back in my face again

gently caress generally doesn't work it's way into Christian music, at least in my experience. The lyrics just all sound more like generic, whiny emo kid stuff, really. Ignoring the fucks, their attitudes towards religion are still pretty ambiguous.

This is all neither here nor there, though, since they don't have to actually be Christian to achieve the "Christiancore" sound you're talking about, and I totally agree that they have that sound, but I'm pretty anal about these things sometimes :<

Anyways: The Faceless

quote:

And on the topic of The Faceless, I've always really liked them, but only specific songs. I remember a while back I got web demos for Ghost of a Stranger, An Autopsy, and Dig Out Your Scars. While Dig Out Your Scars was obviously a little weak the other two were fantastic. When they came out the with the album however they remixed the songs and changed a few parts around, so it sort of sounds a little off on the album but still good. I just wish they would make up their mind about what kind of music they want to play and not have all the songs on the album sound like different genres. Haven't heard their new stuff though.

I've never even heard of Dig Out Your Scars. Is that an EP song or was it on that Planet Duality or w/e CD? Anyway, An Autopsy and Ghost of a Stranger are both awesome, but did you ever get to listen to Leica? Beats 'em both in my opinion.

And for Sawtooth Grin, I must say I have never even heard of them - any recommendations for a first listen?

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Business Raptor posted:

My roommate, although not fifteen, is very religious and I find him listening to songs with lyrics about punishing Athiests and loving Jesus.

you should post some lyrics because this sounds hilarious

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
August Burns Red

ShoogaSlim posted:

But they suck live. I saw them with Acacia Strain the other weekend. How did they come out of nowhere and start headlining shows?

They sound great live. Lots of energy lots of fun. Acacia Strain is one of my favorite live bands, but they seemed a little out of steam on this tour. Hmm. DL wasn't there either. Bummer.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

DL apparently got his girl knocked up which is why he wasn't on the tour. I thought Acacia was great as always. Nothing particularly better about this tour than others, but not any worse.

I might have just been too exhausted for ABR when they came on, but they lack that punch they have on the albums. Plus each breakdown has the exact same sound with the China cymbal constantly going and the stop-go riffs. It's a cool sound but they take it too far.

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007
When I saw ABR on their headlining tour with iwretstledabearonce and All Shall Perish they were pretty great. I thought they had a lot of energy. But then again I saw them in Lancaster, PA which is where they're all from so they were really into it.

quote:

Plus each breakdown has the exact same sound with the China cymbal constantly going and the stop-go riffs. It's a cool sound but they take it too far.
I agree. As much as I love ABR I can only take so much at a time because of the constant breakdowns. Luckily they seemed to chill out with that a lot on the newest album.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

ShoogaSlim posted:

Plus each breakdown has the exact same sound with the China cymbal constantly going and the stop-go riffs. It's a cool sound but they take it too far.

I know what you're saying.

The Dirtyness posted:

Luckily they seemed to chill out with that a lot on the newest album.

Yes and thank god for this. Although the prog-esque transitions they tried worked here and not there. I can't listen to Ocean of Apathy without shaking my head at the sudden off beat jam interruption toward the end.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Why the gently caress do bands feel the need to have a "Bio" that is unique and makes it seem as if they're different than any other band out there?

quote:

There are a galaxy’s worth of metal bands active today. But stare at all of those stars long enough and some lines start to form; everything starts to take shape. The Constellations begin to bloom.

Oh I get it, they tied in the name of their new album to the description of their band, how clever! :hurr:

e: Oh and hey look, they use little iMacs and MacBooks to show off thumbnails of their desktop wallpapers available for download. They must be so with it! :rolleyes:
posting from a MacBook

All that complaining aside, this new album does sound more mature and together than their last one. I don't really like the vocalists style, though. Sounds a little too much like a cross between the guy from Unearth and All That Remains.

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 5, 2009

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
I doubt most bands develop their own myspace pages, let alone write their own bios on them.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

I didn't say they wrote their own stuff, just that they felt the need to have those bios. They had to pay someone to write it for them didn't they? Or perhaps the label chooses. Still, it's dumb and most of the time I read the descriptions I just laugh at how dumb it sounds.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

I like HtB's take on the bios thing

"Hello. We are the coolest band in the world. Everything you have ever heard about us is true. We are loving crazy and we are very brave. We booked a 45-country, 3-month world tour by ourselves and we didn't die, although we almost did a bunch of times. We have played in loving China, and Serbia, and we are the first American band to play in Belarus in 5 years (the band before us was Cannibal Corpse) and we had to sneak into the country on a World War II cargo plane. In fact, all the shows were loving awesome except Turkey, Italy, the UK, and Scandinavia. We party harder than any other band in the world and still play our parts perfectly every single night. Oh yeah did I mention Nathan broke his shoulder with 10 days left on the tour and played 8 shows with a broken shoulder and no treatment except alcohol? I think when other bands' singers break their shoulders they just cancel the tour and fly home. Oh wait I think that is also what they do if they have a vocal polyp or gas costs $4 a gallon. Oh poo poo! $4! Actually I am sure of it because other bands are pussies. At least those singers have neck tattoos though and ask the question "How the gently caress are you guys doing tonight?" twice in a row after their second song is over. We spent $60,000 to do EARTH TOUR by maxing out 5 credit cards and bought 27 flights each for 7 people. We don't have parents and we are from the future."

etc. etc. hahaha

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

ShoogaSlim posted:

I didn't say they wrote their own stuff, just that they felt the need to have those bios. They had to pay someone to write it for them didn't they? Or perhaps the label chooses. Still, it's dumb and most of the time I read the descriptions I just laugh at how dumb it sounds.

I'm sure they're not writing those for you then.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Who could they be possibly writing them for then?

secondhand dog
Sep 10, 2009

So I've gotta say that the new Coalesce OX EP rules just as hard as OX.

Band can do no wrong for me.

seatbeltstrap
Nov 5, 2004

That bitch Carmen Sandiego's got nothing on me.

ManifoldCuriosity posted:

So I've gotta say that the new Coalesce OXEP rules just as hard as OX.

Band can do no wrong for me.

So true. I posted about it in the punk/hc thread and the metal thread because I couldn't remember where OX was talked about before. Coalesce is loving great.

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

Roasted Donut posted:

you should post some lyrics because this sounds hilarious

These are some of the songs I could get a hold of, a lot of them don't have lyrics up just a few lines here and there make me go all :ughh:

Some of the worst rhyming in history. They obviously didn't think about it, they just said "let's write brutal songs about Jesus and poo poo":

Horror - With Blood Comes Cleansing

It's written in the pages.
You have been warned for years.
Armageddon's coming,
The sum of all your fears. 2x

You chose whom you would serve.
You chose your side,
Now you get what you deserve.

You chose your side,
Now pay the price.

The battle lines,
Have been drawn,
Knee deep in blood,
We'll sing our victory song. 2x

War like this world,
Has never seen;
The time for mercy has passed.

Evil shall triumph no more.
This world wins no more.

It's written in the pages.
You have been warned for years.
Armageddon's coming, the sum of all your fears. 2x

I also find the lyrics to this song particularly terrible, they're posted on the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7ha4VCwZTI

Heed the Sound - Cry of the Afflicted....ugh:

Echoes ringing in my mind.
They're crying surrender, surrender your will.
Echoes ringing in my mind.
A voice that once whispered is growing and can't be ignored.

Decrease my name.
The grief that’s found in me, You've broken.
Increase your name.
The grace that’s found in me you've spoken.

Hear it clearly declared.
This weakness that held me,
is weakness no more.
Hear it clearly declared.
This whisper of thunder, is deafening.

Decrease my name.
The grief that’s found in me, You've broken.
And replace what I hate.
Increase your name.
The grace that’s found in me you've spoken.

A quiet voice, that once I ignored.
The catalyst, my reason for standing here now.
The Voice of the voiceless.
Now speaks, now speaks through me.
The Hope of the Hopeless.
Your grace, is rising up in me

I think this one is the guy from Stick To Your Guns pretty much saying "hey tell me whatever you want, but I'm not listening because I believe this":

I will stay true to this .. I wont fall .. this means more now than ever before .. your doubt drives me and I bite my tongue .. you hate me and everything I am .. and everything I believe .. say what you will cause I have learned to turn the other cheek .. say what you will .. this is mine this is for me we will rise up together .. we are one we are family .. this world may bring us down .. but it cant tear apart this family .. be strong .. keep your head up .. because this struggle will only get harder to handle .. this is where my heart lies

eminkey2003
Oct 11, 2009
Anybody here like Tower of Rome? I'm thinking of buying "All is Lost..."

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Yeah, I used to love Stick To Your Guns because their first album was loving awesomely composed hard/metalcore but the new album was, besides a few highlight moments, a disappointingly sheepish direction for them to go in, despite their "gently caress YOU I BELIEVE WHAT I BELIEVE!!!" attitude.

ALSO, @ the horse the band description: Thats awesome, and its all true too right?

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

Yup, and not to mention that they came back from the Earth Tour with zero. That's part of why their new album's called "Desperate Living".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

Yeah, I used to love Stick To Your Guns because their first album was loving awesomely composed hard/metalcore but the new album was, besides a few highlight moments, a disappointingly sheepish direction for them to go in, despite their "gently caress YOU I BELIEVE WHAT I BELIEVE!!!" attitude.

I ordered a bunch of stuff from Century Media during their clearance sale and as a thank you the sent me their second CD for free. It still had the ten dollar hot topic price tag on it and everything.