Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

omgitstheinternet posted:

Holy poo poo, I hope that pilot got 10 times the hero treatment as the guy who landed the plane in the hudson earlier this year. I fly a lot, so thanks for adding one more fear to my list of things I think about going wrong.

Unless you make a habit of flying an airline that doesn't maintain its aircraft properly and at the same time puts them through far more cycles than a normal airline, I wouldn't sweat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzUnR2A68xU

It may not look like it, but that was a $500 part.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

kimbo305 posted:

since when have springs needed so few coils?

if they're mcpherson struts :ssh:

i've curbed my cars a few times, but that guy must have been hauling rear end when he did it :psyduck:

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Wobert posted:

I'm absolutely floored by this carnage. Is there any more information on this? Backstory, more pics, trip report?

It was one of those random forums posts a while ago... I don't remember where exactly it came from, its in my "holy poo poo" folder of random images.

bladernr
Oct 3, 2006
I'm not wearing any pants. Film at 11!

Billy Zane posted:

More details here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169370

I'd be willing to bet that he leaped out of the car in a fury of BMW Indignation and demanded that they provide him more suitable transportation and threatened to sue them for loaning out a car that could not handle a teensy little curb bump :argh:

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

deviant. posted:

i've curbed my cars a few times, but that guy must have been hauling rear end when he did it :psyduck:

Probably lost traction and slid sideways into a curb doing something upwards of 50mph. One of my buddies in high school stole his parents' 325i and did this, ripped all the wheels off the car. Wish I had pics.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Crossposting this - the brake caliper bolt backed out, caliper hit the wheel, tearing the entire assembly out.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Das Volk posted:

Crossposting this - the brake caliper bolt backed out, caliper hit the wheel, tearing the entire assembly out.

Pitiful, I've seen lower :colbert:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Lord Yod posted:

Probably lost traction and slid sideways into a curb doing something upwards of 50mph. One of my buddies in high school stole his parents' 325i and did this, ripped all the wheels off the car. Wish I had pics.
By a curious coincidence, I used my 325i to haul someone out of a ditch who'd done the same.

The best bit was that the police turned up, searched the car, and found some weed. Then the kid's parents turned up, and it became clear that it was their car lying in a ditch with its wheels folded under the floorplan.

So the Plod just told the parents all the details, then hosed off and left them to it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

deviant. posted:

Really? I've never seen a production car with fewer than double the number of coils I see there (3.5?), even with McPherson suspension.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Toucan Sam posted:

BMW either has the strongest wheels ever made or the weakest suspension. I'd expect a lot more wheel damage for the suspension to fall the gently caress off, speaking from experience.

I slammed my Mustang into a curb at ~30 mph one time (doriftuuuu) and absolutely destroyed one of my wheels, almost folded it in half, took it in for an alignment after replacing the wheel.... 0 damage to the suspension

BabyJesus
Nov 13, 2002

kimbo305 posted:

Really? I've never seen a production car with fewer than double the number of coils I see there (3.5?), even with McPherson suspension.

I think some of the coils are hidden behind the wheel/tire.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

BabyJesus posted:

I think some of the coils are hidden behind the wheel/tire.

Nope, that's it, there just aren't that many turns in the OEM springs.

Modena AL
Jul 20, 2002
I wouldn't call it horrific, or catastrophic, since it happened pulling out of my garage, but here is my old shock/spring set up on my Mini!

Oh, Snap

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

HEHEHE posted:

Speaking of tractor's losing their engine during a pull, this one does it literally:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCsSVLZ6wCI&feature=related
What language are they speaking? Dutch?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
:v:

R-Type II
Oct 7, 2009
Oops

Somehow, my S/C pulley and vibration dampener opted for an exit strategy, absconding with the front part of the crank.

R-Type II fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 6, 2009

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

frozenphil posted:

:v:

I really need to buy one someday when I'm not as poor so I can actually understand what having an alfa or jag would probably be like.

fishmech_1.1_RC
Jul 22, 2003

Modena AL posted:

I wouldn't call it horrific, or catastrophic, since it happened pulling out of my garage, but here is my old shock/spring set up on my Mini!

Oh, Snap

Eek, Koni Sport Kit? I've got the same thing on my Focus, I hope it doesn't do what yours did :ohdear:

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0zqtlIiS4E

There were pictures of the aftermath floating around, I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI_gNQLmTM0

Are you joking? Are you joking?

DELETED fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Nov 6, 2009

teh jhey
May 23, 2004

Kitty needs more souls.

Sponge! posted:

When I watched this all I could hear in my mind was that goofy jack-in the box style "pop goes the weasel" tune...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSFA0ufNS_k&NR=1

God drat, I'm loving these videos where someone is showboating at the track, and his car tears itself in half, and the crowd goes wild.

teh jhey
May 23, 2004

Kitty needs more souls.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et-g4P8SbJQ

Jesus gently caress, this guy must have dropped it into reverse to pull off something like this.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

Elviscat posted:

I slammed my Mustang into a curb at ~30 mph one time (doriftuuuu) and absolutely destroyed one of my wheels, almost folded it in half, took it in for an alignment after replacing the wheel.... 0 damage to the suspension

People make jokes about truck suspension, but no, really, Ford makes all their vehicles that tough.

At Sebring during the ALMS this year, a Porsche hit one of the Ford GTs and completely snapped one of their suspension links. Limped the Porsche into the pits and had to spend a half hour replacing bits. The Ford never stopped.

e: Jesus, my typing.

pimpedlightsaber
Dec 3, 2005

deviant. posted:

no poo poo, christ I jumped a curb at 40MPH in my Celebrity, all I needed was a new rim and an alignment.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

teh jhey posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et-g4P8SbJQ

Jesus gently caress, this guy must have dropped it into reverse to pull off something like this.

Hahaha, I love the guy in the background.

E: Holy poo poo there are multiple angles

DELETED fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Nov 6, 2009

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CannonFodder posted:

What language are they speaking? Dutch?

I think so, yeah. If it sounds almost exactly like English, and you can't understand it at all, it's probably Dutch. There was actually a thread about that on SA last year, asking what English sounds like to people who aren't brought up speaking it, and someone suggested Dutch as sort of an analogue.

bladernr
Oct 3, 2006
I'm not wearing any pants. Film at 11!

Hypnolobster posted:

I really need to buy one someday when I'm not as poor so I can actually understand what having an alfa or jag would probably be like.

But that's neither an Alpha nor a Jag... It's a Maserati :ssh:

thArf
Oct 9, 2009
i have some good ones but this is a rearend i killed:

http://tharf.com/images/14bolt/10-1/img00001.jpg

now that i know about this thread i will be able to make some good additions

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

bladernr posted:

But that's neither an Alpha nor a Jag... It's a Maserati :ssh:

Well yes I know, but the experience would be roughly the same.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

Toucan Sam posted:

BMW either has the strongest wheels ever made or the weakest suspension. I'd expect a lot more wheel damage for the suspension to fall the gently caress off, speaking from experience.

Weakest suspension. They dont make products like this for toyotas
http://store.bimmerworld.com/shared...et=products.asp

MisterSparkle
Jan 16, 2004
banishes dirt to the land of wind and ghosts

Hypnolobster posted:

Well yes I know, but the experience would be roughly the same.

get an alfa or a jag.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

DELETED posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI_gNQLmTM0

Are you joking? Are you joking?

My parents are gonna be so pissed!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Splizwarf posted:

My parents are gonna be so pissed!

he did beat the bmw though! m3s are slow.

part 2 is actually kinda cool where you see the disintegrated piston.

Super Alyosha Bros
Jun 4, 2004
STAY OUT OF FYAD
Anyone else notice the coke spoon pinky nail on that idiot in part 2?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Phy posted:

I think so, yeah. If it sounds almost exactly like English, and you can't understand it at all, it's probably Dutch. There was actually a thread about that on SA last year, asking what English sounds like to people who aren't brought up speaking it, and someone suggested Dutch as sort of an analogue.

Your hunch is correct, they are speaking Dutch. :)

Modena AL
Jul 20, 2002

Contraband posted:

Eek, Koni Sport Kit? I've got the same thing on my Focus, I hope it doesn't do what yours did :ohdear:

They were Koni Yellows and Hotchkis springs. It was quite a pain because it messed up my S/S line, sensors, and such. Can't just pop down to the auto parts store when you have a Mini. At least it was a good excuse to upgrade to coilovers.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

I drove around for a month with it like that. Just didn't use 3rd gear.

Aliass
Dec 25, 2008

pimpedlightsaber posted:

no poo poo, christ I jumped a curb at 40MPH in my Celebrity, all I needed was a new rim and an alignment.

Subaru's are the same, my mother drove over a curb going 60 (cut a corner) and kept driving for 10km afterwards with a completely flat/destroyed tyre. The suspension was still good.

Can I post pictures of electric motor failure? As i see some pretty epic stuff on a regular basis. Can anyone say 250mm diameter snapped shafts?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
At work today.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
White line is from wheel arm digging into the road, about 20 meters long

See my followup thread here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3225246

Boy is my rear end sore.