Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
Tucker and Dale Versus Evil looks like a sort of clever comedic take on the killer-hillbilly subgenre, though I don't know whether that premise can really sustain an entire movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I'm actually more curious to see Haley as Freddy than the movie itself. But it's weird they're going for PG-13, Friday the 13Th was made by the same fellers right?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I think the reviewer was saying that due to lack of excessive gore/tits. The subject matter alone would probably get it "R." NOES1 barely had any gore/tits in it either, besides the gushing blood scene.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
A wasted opportunity. I just watched NOES1 (along with 2-4,7) again, and it occurred to me that with today's techniques you can have a real horrific monster with Freddy. When he first appears in the original, with extending arms and a weird run and skullface, etc. that had the makings of a real oh-poo poo kind of movie. Some of the camp/bad-acting that follows kinda kills it, but the beginning of that movie is nice and creepy. Since they're going to reboot, they should go all-out serious and scary, with today's technology they could make some serious whacked dream sequences, like right out of Silent Hill. Make stuff that I'll have nightmares about just watching the movie. When you have a villian who likes to terrorize, and can do whatever he wants in a dream world... I think it's the way to go. I don't think a campy wisecracking Freddy will do all that well anymore.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
I don't know what crack you/that reviewer are smoking. There is absolutely NO CHANCE IN HELL this movie's gonna be rated PG-13. That reviewer is a moron.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Pet Rock Band posted:

I don't know what crack you/that reviewer are smoking. There is absolutely NO CHANCE IN HELL this movie's gonna be rated PG-13. That reviewer is a moron.

Remember when Alien vs Predator came out? Remember when Die Hard 4 came out? Given the source materiel, there was NO CHANCE IN HELL that those movies were gonna be rated PG-13.

If the early cut didn't have violence, blood, nudity or swearing, it's a fair assumption that the final cut won't either. And since atmosphere & implied violence isn't enough to garner an R rating (Poltergeist, The Dark Knight, Die Hard 4, ...) I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see this movie slapped with PG-13 in the hopes of making a quick buck.

Dignity Van Houten fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 3, 2009

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/platinumdunes/entry.php?id=24

Will it be rated PG-13?

"Are you kidding me? Make no mistake about it this is a R-rated movie."

That's straight from the guys over at Platinum Dunes from an article last month. I know that doesn't mean that it won't be a PG-13 by the time it's released, but at least they've acknowledged that it will most likely be R.

Wouldn't surprise me if they change their minds in the end though.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

935 posted:

Remember when Alien vs Predator came out? Remember when Die Hard 4 came out? Given the source materiel, there was NO CHANCE IN HELL that those movies were gonna be rated PG-13.

Both could easily be cut to be PG-13 since the TV cuts work well enough. When AvP was rumored to be PG-13, I figured it to be the case since Alien is essentially a PG-13 movie in itself, cutting the profanity and Predator's TV cut works fine, except for the profanity. Same for Die Hard, really - you didn't really 'need' an ice pick through the eyes.

NOES is still about a child murderer/rapist that violently kills people in their dreams. There's really no way to cut that short without making it completely lame (AvP was lame because of direction and plotting, not lack of gore or a general feel of violence). So it's a bit bigger of a jump than those.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
What was the general consensus around here on Rob Zombie's Halloween remake? I just caught it the other night and thought it was boring and pointless. It wasn't horrible I guess, but somehow Zombie managed to make it not the least bit suspenseful or scary.

Also how did Myers get so big and strong that he could just burst out of his metal shackles? Were they giving him Creatine or something in there?

What is Halloween 2 like?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
It makes his remake of the first Halloween look like Jacob's Ladder. Michael's mom appears as a ghost showing which people he has to get revenge on/kill/etc. Also Michael's secret hideout barn in the woods is a few days away from town or can be walked to in a few minutes depending on which scene in the movie you're watching. Everything is deadly serious. I was willing to give Zombie the benefit of the doubt after The Devil's Rejects since it was so much better than House of 1,000 Corpses, but after these two Halloween movies I don't think I'll be watching anything directed by him again.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Nov 4, 2009

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Counterpoint, Halloween 2 is a better movie than his first attempt but isn't totally good. The intro sequence, which is a compressed version of Carpenter's Halloween 2, is very good. The rest of the movie plays up a severe violence angle, aided with smart set design and camera work to emphasize Myers as a gigantic and powerful force. They also finally landed a character design and silhouette that was approaching the iconic status it should be. The finale, however, is not good in the least and while the dream sequences include some really great visuals at times and seem to be pushing for a Halloween 4 conclusion, that whole angle is fumbled in the climax and makes all of the dream sequences largely worthless. And, it has to be said because it inspired a lot of discussion, the movie omits a lot of logical connections between locations and characters.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
The more I think of it, I think I would have really liked Halloween 2 if the ending had been better. These movies really do need some sort of "payoff" stalking or chase scene, and I just didn't think it matched its own opening.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
How everyone feel about the proposed Scream 4 that's due out next year? In my opinion it's about 7 years to late but it may not be a waste.

Kevin Williamson posted:

The horror series that reignited the genre and grossed more than $500 Million worldwide is back! From Kevin Williamson, creator of the original SCREAM trilogy, the new film sees the return of cast members Neve Campbell, Courteney Cox and David Arquette, along with a group of new stars, who can hopefully stay alive long enough to figure out the new rules to this one-of-a-kind horror franchise. No director is listed although Wes Craven is in talks.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

So is there any word on a sequel to Friday the 13th? It was fairly successful so I imagine they have to be doing SOMETHING.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

grody but still def posted:

So is there any word on a sequel to Friday the 13th? It was fairly successful so I imagine they have to be doing SOMETHING.

It's going to be in 3D and will feature Jason murdering in the snow.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

The Cameo posted:

Will he get a magical Camaro?

ArmoredBlue
Jul 1, 2007

Furthering the gay Mexican agenda.

Slasherfan posted:

How everyone feel about the proposed Scream 4 that's due out next year? In my opinion it's about 7 years to late but it may not be a waste.

If they can get Craven on board I think it could be interesting. He's really good at doing a meta treatment of horror movies, and I'd like to see what his take would be on a series that was supposed to only be a trilogy.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Slasherfan posted:

I really like Scream. Normally I don't like horror or slashers but I had a lot of fun watching the trilogy with my girlfriend. I'll see a fourth if they can capture the style again.

PhonyMcRingRing
Jun 6, 2002
I can't imagine what they'd do for Scream 4 in terms of Randy's horror movie rules. Will Scream 4 take place during Scream 3?

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell
I believe from what I've read, Scream 4 isn't so much supposed to be Scream 4 as it's meant to serve as a reboot of the franchise.

Whatever that means.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

UncleMonkey posted:

I believe from what I've read, Scream 4 isn't so much supposed to be Scream 4 as it's meant to serve as a reboot of the franchise.

Whatever that means.
I hear they nixed this idea a while ago and Scream 4 will be a bona fide sequel, but who the gently caress knows.

Maybe Scream 4 will gets its meta-mileage by riffing on sequels to trilogies that were never supposed to have sequels, but I can count on one hand how many movies this has actually been true of.

Or maybe this will be a sequel AND a reboot, to riff on this trend...

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sidney, Dewey and Gale will smell the gas and die in an exploding house five minutes into the movie.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Oh wow, they managed to get Neve Campbell back. The last I heard she had declined, so that's cool. Here's hoping Wes Craven signs on.

The timing's OK by me. People were burnt out on Scream in the early 2000s so it's good they took a long break. They can work out the "10 years later!" angle in the marketing.

bad movie knight posted:

I hear they nixed this idea a while ago and Scream 4 will be a bona fide sequel, but who the gently caress knows.

Maybe Scream 4 will gets its meta-mileage by riffing on sequels to trilogies that were never supposed to have sequels, but I can count on one hand how many movies this has actually been true of.

Or maybe this will be a sequel AND a reboot, to riff on this trend...

The best way to do it would be a sequel, but the killer is trying to "reboot" everything, co-inciding with "Stab" getting a remake.

(I always thought it'd be cool to have a Scream spinoff that's in the "real world" and Scream is an actual in-universe movie itself, and the killer is imitating the movie. Thing is Scream already kind of does this itself with "Stab" so hey).

I wonder what the "Rules of a Remake!" would be.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell
Again, not a slasher, (and a pretty bad franchise to boot), but for what it's worth, Milla Jovovich just recently signed up for Twitter and has been Tweeting from the RE 4 set. Just be received to get a ton of Tweets from her. I like her and everything, but man, she's really overdoing it a bit.

Also, she said this this morning:

MillaJovovich posted:

someone asked if the executioner looks like the ax man in silent hill. well, kind of, but much cooler!

MillaJovovich posted:

cause he doesn't wear a triangle on his head and doesn't show man rear end.
Take it back! :argh:

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
Promo art for Scream 4

Looks like the push on Blu ray continues as the DVD for Final Destination 4 is pretty bare bones.
The Blu Ray has.
•Two Alternate Endings
•Body Counts: The Deaths of The Final Destination featurette
•Pre-Visualization/Storyboard segments
•Exclusive Features via BD-Live
•Digital Copy of the movie

Slasherfan fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 6, 2009

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

lizardman posted:

Oh wow, they managed to get Neve Campbell back. The last I heard she had declined, so that's cool.
Like she has anything better to do.

The last thing I saw her in was a third-rate James Toback film.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Slasherfan posted:

Promo art for Scream 4

You have got to be kidding me.

Edit: Well, as long as it's not an actual poster in theaters or anything

lizardman fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Nov 6, 2009

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
did the mask always look that ridiculous? it looks like the ghost from Filmation's ghostbusters

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
^^^
That's about what it's always looked like, yeah.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The first Scream was really the only one that was any good, but I do find it somewhat satisfying on a 'meta' level that a movie deconstructing '80s slasher movies would have a bunch of terrible sequels, much like an actual '80s slasher movie.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

The first Scream was really the only one that was any good, but I do find it somewhat satisfying on a 'meta' level that a movie deconstructing '80s slasher movies would have a bunch of terrible sequels, much like an actual '80s slasher movie.

The first half of Scream 2 was the best part of the series. Once Randy died, oddly, it turned from a deconstruction into a generic slasher at exactly that moment.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I actually thought Screams 2 & 3 were pretty solid all things considering.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

lizardman posted:

all I can remember of Scream 3 was that stupid gas leak death, seriously how could have the guy not smelled the gas?

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Honest Thief posted:

all I can remember of Scream 3 was that stupid gas leak death, seriously how could have the guy not smelled the gas?
Industrial-strength Febreze?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

The Cameo posted:

I've been hoping for a Friday movie in the snow forever. They better not gently caress it up.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
I just watched The Howling for the first time (yeah, I know) and now I'm wondering if anyone's heard tell of some decent looking werewolf movies coming out. Besides The Wolfman, of course; I'm already stoked about that one.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

lizardman posted:

I was a huge Scream fanboy as a kid and will defend 2 to the ends of the earths, but 3? Man... they show that movie on YTV in Canada, which is like Nickelodeon.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
^^ Oh, no doubt Scream 3 is the weakest (and tamest) of the trilogy, but I'll give it props for actually coming up with a "the gang goes to a wacky new location!" story that actually makes thematic sense with the series (a horror movie set), I dug Parker Posey's character, and it even just continuing the series' tradition of extended set pieces and chase sequences (seriously, before Scream most slasher flicks had one MAYBE two chase scenes in the entire movie) with Craven's tight direction and the movie's still a hit for me. That knife handle gag was a riot, too.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Boinks posted:

I've been hoping for a Friday movie in the snow forever. They better not gently caress it up.

he's joking, it's a reference to one of the failed freddy vs jason scripts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
^^^I don't think he is. I read that a sequel to the remake was approved and it was going to take place in winter/with snow. Which actually sounds kinda cool.