Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Otacon posted:

What scores are people getting with 7200/5900rpm system drives?

I have a 7200rpm and it scores a 5.5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Just wanted to say that I performed the upgrade today after backing up my important poo poo on another hard drive, and I didn't even have to do that--everything transitioned smooth as butter. Thanks for your help. :)

ConfusedNudeMan
Feb 20, 2004

I'm gay for Frank Dux!

PopeOnARope posted:

You can do a clean install, AND the keys are interchangeable. As it's been said 90 times in this thread, a "clean install" takes all your old data and poo poo, and dumps it into a folder called windows.old. None of your apps, settings, etc are transferred automatically, but they're RIGHT THERE in the folder if you need them.

Can you do an install on a machine with XP x86? I'm trying to do a clean install from the Professional x64 I downloaded legit, but it says I am using the wrong version of Windows and it can't install. I don't know if it's referring to the fact that it's XP or the fact it's a 32 bit, but I am trying to do a clean install.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

ConfusedNudeMan posted:

Can you do an install on a machine with XP x86? I'm trying to do a clean install from the Professional x64 I downloaded legit, but it says I am using the wrong version of Windows and it can't install. I don't know if it's referring to the fact that it's XP or the fact it's a 32 bit, but I am trying to do a clean install.

You need to either burn the ISO to a DVD and boot from it or put it on a USB drive in that way that makes it bootable.

There is no way to go 32 bit -> 64 bit without doing that.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Otacon posted:

My lowest score is due to my hard drive - 5.9.

With a single motherfucking Velociraptor 300gb 10krpm hard drive.

(Intel I7 920 @ 2.9ghz, 6gb ram, gtx275, 64bit - all other scores are 7.5)

I have a WD Black (1TB) and it scores 5.9. It seems the best you can do, according to WEI, is 5.9 with a single spindle drive.

imsuxok?
Nov 14, 2000

You may be as vicious about me as you please. You will only do me justice.
Any reports of older lcd monitors not working under 64-bit Windows 7? I checked Microsoft's compatibility database and I couldn't find mine listed (Samsung Syncmaster 931cw). I want to upgrade to W7, but not if it means buying a new monitor.

ConfusedNudeMan
Feb 20, 2004

I'm gay for Frank Dux!

madprocess posted:

You need to either burn the ISO to a DVD and boot from it or put it on a USB drive in that way that makes it bootable.

There is no way to go 32 bit -> 64 bit without doing that.

Thanks. I tried burning the ISO to a DVD, but the file is 3 gigs and Nero says it's too big to be burned as an ISO(?) so it had to be burned as a UDF. Never heard of that before. The image was on the DVD, and I tried booting from the disk, but still no dice. I suppose I'll have to get a USB drive so I can try booting off it. I really want to take advantage of this student discount thing. I mean my school is paying for a god drat copy of it. I'll have to try and figure out what's wrong with my burning to DVD or try a USB drive. Anyone who downloaded the ISO and had luck burning, booting and installing it wanna drop me a PM or something?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Avian Pneumonia posted:

well of course i have daemon tools lite (how else would i have been mounting the .iso files)

i was wondering if there wasn't a way to make .iso files appear & play in windows media center

I think Media Browser ( http://www.mediabrowser.tv ) is supposed to let you do that using Daemon Tools. I'm not totally sure how to go about it, but I think it's a setting in the configuration where you point it at your DT install.

Also, Media Browser is awesome.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?

PopeOnARope posted:

If they're all in one folder, use Infranview's batch function. That's how I clean up entire dumps of TV serieses. Just make sure that windows is set to show the extensions of known file types, or it may not work. It does function well. For example, a show usually comes in as

s01e09.faggypants queef party.dvdrip.ac3.groupname.avi

I tell infranview to take the string s01e and replace it with 1. Then, I tell it to take the string .dvdrip.ac3.groupname and replace it with nothing. Finally, I tell it to replace any . it sees with " - " . After a brief period, I have a folder full of these;

109 - faggypants queef party.avi

Now you go and do that with 130 episodes, by hand, and tell me you stay sane.

And what if they are scattered over hundreds of directories? I am looking for something that will let me select the parent directory and change all .m4v files in each subfolder to .mp4, while keeping the rest of the filename intact

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

PopeOnARope posted:

That's how I clean up entire dumps of TV serieses. Just make sure that windows is set to show the extensions of known file types, or it may not work. It does function well. For example, a show usually comes in as

s01e09.faggypants queef party.dvdrip.ac3.groupname.avi

I tell infranview to take the string s01e and replace it with 1. Then, I tell it to take the string .dvdrip.ac3.groupname and replace it with nothing. Finally, I tell it to replace any . it sees with " - " . After a brief period, I have a folder full of these;

109 - faggypants queef party.avi

Now you go and do that with 130 episodes, by hand, and tell me you stay sane.

Sounds like someone's never seen a TV renamer application:

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Avian Pneumonia posted:

well of course i have daemon tools lite (how else would i have been mounting the .iso files)

i was wondering if there wasn't a way to make .iso files appear & play in windows media center

There is a way to add Mount Image to the action menu when you click on the video
Here's one way, :google: for "win 7 mce iso"

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

Twiin posted:

Sounds like someone's never seen a TV renamer application:

Welp, you just made my life easier.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

PopeOnARope posted:

Welp, you just everyones life easier.

poo poo son where has this been all my life! I've seriously tried to get one that worked like mp3tag.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

incoherent posted:

poo poo son where has this been all my life! I've seriously tried to get one that worked like mp3tag.

I prefer the command line one, but they're both pretty great.

johndoe7776059
Aug 31, 2001

ConfusedNudeMan posted:

Thanks. I tried burning the ISO to a DVD, but the file is 3 gigs and Nero says it's too big to be burned as an ISO(?) so it had to be burned as a UDF. Never heard of that before. The image was on the DVD, and I tried booting from the disk, but still no dice. I suppose I'll have to get a USB drive so I can try booting off it. I really want to take advantage of this student discount thing. I mean my school is paying for a god drat copy of it. I'll have to try and figure out what's wrong with my burning to DVD or try a USB drive. Anyone who downloaded the ISO and had luck burning, booting and installing it wanna drop me a PM or something?

It sounds like you burned a data disk that had the .iso file on it, which isn't what you want to do. Using nero express, what you want to do is tell it you want to burn a disc image, then select the iso file.

Not Memorable
Jul 25, 2004

You are the single most important person in the universe.

Cuddly Coach posted:

There is a way to add Mount Image to the action menu when you click on the video
Here's one way, :google: for "win 7 mce iso"

That looks loving awesome and I am going to try it out.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Not Memorable posted:

Give us a trip report.

QWin15
Oct 25, 2004
So I just bought Dragon Age and someone in that thread stated that my DLC woes are coming from the fact I don't have the latest version of .net installed. Now when I go to programs and features, its not listed as a program. So I try to install it from windows. Which then tells me that in order to install it, i must go to the "Turn on and off features" section. Which I do. I see .net 3.5 there, but I can't tell if it is installed properly or not.

I can't figure out any way to uninstall it and start from scratch. When I do toggle it and try to install it, I just get a straight up Set up error with no information on top of that.

Anybody have any ideas or suggestions? I only put this in this thread because all of these things are new to me as of me installing windows 7 :(

edit:
just tried installing version 3.0 and it told me that I already have a newer version installed. Now i'm confused and sad :(

QWin15 fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 6, 2009

Not Memorable
Jul 25, 2004

You are the single most important person in the universe.

Not Memorable posted:

Did some Googling and the easiest solution I found for browsing an ISO collection is to install MediaBrowser that just got linked. Wicked easy. I just had to point it to the right install location for Daemon Tools Lite. Media Browser comes with a configuration utility that walks you through that and you can choose "Use Autoplay" right from there.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...
anyone have any problems with win7 and drive imaging yet?

my current boot drive is an old seagate 80g ide drive, so i imaged it over to a 160g sata drive I got for free. booting from it, windows pitched an absolute fit. blank desktop, no explorer.exe even running, and the "this copy is not genuine" logo in the bottom right. I'm going to try using windows backup to restore it this time.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Well, it was beta, not retail, but I imaged my dying WD drive onto a replacement drive and Windows never said anything.

osigas
Mar 4, 2006

Then maybe you shouldn't be living here

imsuxok? posted:

Any reports of older lcd monitors not working under 64-bit Windows 7? I checked Microsoft's compatibility database and I couldn't find mine listed (Samsung Syncmaster 931cw). I want to upgrade to W7, but not if it means buying a new monitor.
I'm using my old Samsung Syncmaster 710v, it displays fine on Windows 7 Professional's default driver but not to any great resolution and Samsung's own updated drivers only support XP.

imsuxok?
Nov 14, 2000

You may be as vicious about me as you please. You will only do me justice.

osigas posted:

I'm using my old Samsung Syncmaster 710v, it displays fine on Windows 7 Professional's default driver but not to any great resolution and Samsung's own updated drivers only support XP.

I assume you're able to run the monitor's optimal resolution at least?

osigas
Mar 4, 2006

Then maybe you shouldn't be living here

imsuxok? posted:

I assume you're able to run the monitor's optimal resolution at least?
Yeah running at 1280 x 1024 @ 70hz with no problem

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

PopeOnARope posted:

Welp, you just made my life easier.

The second one is pretty awesome - you can set a "watched" directory 9because I generally dump everything in one folder till I get about to watching it the first time), set up the show folders and have it move the files and rename all in one sweep. It'll also tell you what you're missing and the shows that are coming up.

taafis
Dec 1, 2008

keep it nappy or braided up dirty in the cockpit, blazin' up
Today, my windows update window looked like this. It tells me that one important update is available, but no update shows up. Anyone else who has experienced similar problems?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Why does Windows 7 x64 show I only have 5.00 GB RAM usable out of 6 GB?

I'm using a Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H motherboard with the onboard video card.

The BIOS has the video card frame buffer set to 512 MB.

The manual says that setting controls how much system memory is dedicated solely for the video card controller (which makes sense).

When I only had 2 GB of RAM and was running Windows 7 x32, it said I had 1.5 GB usable out of 2 GB. Now that I have 6 GB RAM and am running Windows 7 x64 it says 5.00 GB usable out of 6 GB.

What is going on? Why am I losing a full gigabyte of RAM?

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

COCKMOUTH.GIF posted:

I've been having an ongoing issue with Windows 7 which might make me reinstall from scratch if I can't track down its cause. I will randomly experience explorer.exe crashes and they will continue to occur until I reboot the PC. After it happens the first time, from that point forward I can reproduce the crash if I simply right-click on a file or application. I've been uninstalling applications and drivers trying to narrow down the cause with no such luck. There's also some Google results that recommend removing a certain registry key but it's already been removed. Anyone else notice similar crashes?
I had this problem, it's caused by apps adding things to your context menu incorrectly. I'm not 100% sure what was causing it, but uninstalling avast! and Eraser made the problem go away for me.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Vinlaen posted:

Why does Windows 7 x64 show I only have 5.00 GB RAM usable out of 6 GB?

I'm using a Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H motherboard with the onboard video card.

The BIOS has the video card frame buffer set to 512 MB.

The manual says that setting controls how much system memory is dedicated solely for the video card controller (which makes sense).

When I only had 2 GB of RAM and was running Windows 7 x32, it said I had 1.5 GB usable out of 2 GB. Now that I have 6 GB RAM and am running Windows 7 x64 it says 5.00 GB usable out of 6 GB.

What is going on? Why am I losing a full gigabyte of RAM?

Stupid question, but have you checked to see if one of your sticks is actually dead? When I was running 32-bit XP, I didn't notice that some of my ram was bad for a while. This was because it was reporting 3GB, which I didn't think was unusual. Turns out it could address another .5GB. I got some new ram, and voila, 3.47GB.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.

Loonytoad Quack posted:

but uninstalling avast! and Eraser made the problem go away for me.

But I love eraser.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

QWin15 posted:

edit:
just tried installing version 3.0 and it told me that I already have a newer version installed. Now i'm confused and sad :(

.NET 3.0/3.5 is the same kernel as .NET 2.0. Maybe try grabbing .NET 3.5 SP1 and see if that helps.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=AB99342F-5D1A-413D-8319-81DA479AB0D7&displaylang=en

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...

thrawn86 posted:

anyone have any problems with win7 and drive imaging yet?

my current boot drive is an old seagate 80g ide drive, so i imaged it over to a 160g sata drive I got for free. booting from it, windows pitched an absolute fit. blank desktop, no explorer.exe even running, and the "this copy is not genuine" logo in the bottom right. I'm going to try using windows backup to restore it this time.

my windows is so confusing. windows backup failed completely, with the cryptic error "parameter is incorrect". All i wanted was to image old drive -> new drive, sheesh. I used to do this with seatools all the time, no problems.

either way, booting from my damaged (new) imaged drive and running a repair install seemed to work fine.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
I need some advice on upgrading.

I'm running Vista Basic 32-bit currently. I would love to upgrade to Windows 7 Pro, but I'm no student and can't get a cheap copy like so many lucky people here.

Would upgrading to Vista Business 64 be a worthwhile upgrade if I can get it for $45?

I would like to mostly take advantage of running 64 bit, even though I'm not really using my PC to its full potential right now (but certainly can if I weren't so distracted).

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
well $45 is still in the "very cheap" category for an OS. That said, for $110 you can get OEM home premium, which is about all most people need.

For $45, Id really recommend the upgrade, especially from vista basic.

stedd
Jun 20, 2004

The name's Bullet. Tracer Bullet.

AlexDeGruven posted:

I have a WD Black (1TB) and it scores 5.9. It seems the best you can do, according to WEI, is 5.9 with a single spindle drive.

Try looking at the actual XML file in C:\Windows\Performance\WinSAT\DataStore. The disk scores will look something like this:

code:
<Metrics>
 <DiskMetrics>
  <AvgThroughput kind="Sequential Read" units="MB/s" ioSize="65536" score="5.8">65.49875</AvgThroughput> 
  <AvgThroughput kind="Random Read" units="MB/s" ioSize="16384" score="4.0">1.57000</AvgThroughput> 
  <Responsiveness Kind="AverageIORate" units="ms/IO" score="6.7" factor="0.0">2.50000</Responsiveness> 
  <Responsiveness Kind="GroupedIOs" units="units" score="6.2" factor="0.0">14.27419</Responsiveness> 
  <Responsiveness Kind="LongIOs" units="units" score="6.7" factor="0.0">16.77237</Responsiveness> 
  <Responsiveness Kind="Overall" units="units" score="6.2" factor="0.0">239.41199</Responsiveness> 
  <Responsiveness Kind="Cap" Reason="PASSED">FALSE</Responsiveness> 
 </DiskMetrics>
</Metrics>
This ends up being represented as 5.8 in the top level UI.

From the Engineering Windows 7 blog, it sounds like all of your scores need to by high to make it above 5.9

http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2009/05/05/support-and-q-a-for-solid-state-drives-and.aspx posted:

What Windows Experience Index changes were made to address SSD performance characteristics?

In Windows 7, there are new random read, random write and flush assessments. Better SSDs can score above 6.5 all the way to 7.9. To be included in that range, an SSD has to have outstanding random read rates and be resilient to flush and random write workloads.

In the Beta timeframe of Windows 7, there was a capping of scores at 1.9, 2.9 or the like if a disk (SSD or HDD) didn’t perform adequately when confronted with our random write and flush assessments. Feedback on this was pretty consistent, with most feeling the level of capping to be excessive. As a result, we now simply restrict SSDs with performance issues from joining the newly added 6.0+ and 7.0+ ranges. SSDs that are not solid performers across all assessments effectively get scored in a manner similar to what they would have been in Windows Vista, gaining no Win7 boost for great random read performance.

I found one user who's score was above 5.9 who posted his raw data, and that seems to match my hypothesis: http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?s=f737d0b46602db2d8d91456e76348743&p=6135230&postcount=14

edit:
You can also rerun the disk assessment specifically. From an administrative command prompt:
code:
C:\Windows\system32>winsat diskformal
Windows System Assessment Tool
> Running: Feature Enumeration ''
> Run Time 00:00:00.00
> Running: Storage Assessment '-seq -read -n 0'
> Run Time 00:00:14.52
> Running: Storage Assessment '-ran -read -n 0'
> Run Time 00:00:13.77
> Running: Storage Assessment '-scen 2009 -drive C:'
> Run Time 00:01:12.99
> Disk  Sequential 64.0 Read                   64.52 MB/s          5.8
> Disk  Random 16.0 Read                       1.21 MB/s          3.4
> Responsiveness: Average IO Rate              3.83 ms/IO          5.9
> Responsiveness: Grouped IOs                  11.99 units          6.8
> Responsiveness: Long IOs                     19.32 units          6.4
> Responsiveness: Overall                      231.56 units          6.3
> Responsiveness: PenaltyFactor                0.0
> Total Run Time 00:01:42.38

stedd fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 6, 2009

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I don't know if this has been brought up before but I just bought Pro upgrade through their student deal and ordered the bootable cd as well. Will I still need an existing Windows installation to upgrade from of can I go ahead and install it on a blank machine? The listing in the checkout doesn't say if it's just a physical copy of the download or the full Win7, just "a bootable CD available for future installation.".

Der Luftwaffle fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 6, 2009

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I don't know if this has been brought up before but I just bought Pro upgrade through their student deal and ordered the bootable cd as well. Will I still need an existing Windows installation to upgrade from of can I go ahead and install it on a blank machine?

People seem to be 82% sure that the student upgrade deal is actually a full licence. Give it a whirl and see what happens. Worst case scenario, you'll have to format and start again. But you're starting from blank anyway.

Also I'm getting a 5.9 with a 10K raptor. Using the winsat diskformal command I'm getting 6s and 7s for everything bar disk random 16.0 read, which scores 4.2.

Doesn't matter anyway as I edited the xml file to say what I think the score should be!

DarthBlingBling fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 6, 2009

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

quote:

5.9 with WD Black 500GB.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

Otacon posted:

I've got a 2 year old 7200.10 Seagate which is getting 5.9. My brothers new 7200.12 Seagate also gets a 5.9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

4 Day Weekend posted:

I've got a 2 year old 7200.10 Seagate which is getting 5.9. My brothers new 7200.12 Seagate also gets a 5.9.

Looks like the random 16k read, which depends a lot on seek performance is what's capping the spindle drives at 5.9. Mine's down in the 3.something range, where everything else is 6.5+, with a couple of 7+ scores, but I'm still at 5.9.