Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?
Does anyone know what could cause rabbit poop to be orange?

Google is failing me, and I am quite concerned about my buns' GI health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Are the papaya pills really all that important if the rabbits are already eating a diet rich in varied greens and non-stop hay?

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

luscious posted:

Paterson is getting better!
the vet today said that his ear thing is clearing up on its own and that if he shows any signs of being sick I should bring him back in.

I'm glad that we're all on the way to recovery.

thank god.

Yay, glad to hear this!

candeh
Apr 1, 2005

your reviews aren't that good

Scooty Puff Jr. posted:

Does anyone know what could cause rabbit poop to be orange?

Google is failing me, and I am quite concerned about my buns' GI health.

I know that my rabbits have orange-tinged poop when they've been given too many carrots. My father took care of them when I was hospitalized and he loved giving them carrots because "rabbits just love them!" Too much of a good, sugary thing.

Do you mean orangish-brown or literally orange?

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
after giving him meds nonstop for like, a week, Paterson is totally scared of me. Anytime I go near him if he's out of his cage he runs away and hides right away. When I try to pull him OUT of the cage when he's in it, he digs at my hand or plays turtle and WON'T MOVE EVER.

how can I gain back my sweet mans trust?

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

luscious posted:

after giving him meds nonstop for like, a week, Paterson is totally scared of me. Anytime I go near him if he's out of his cage he runs away and hides right away. When I try to pull him OUT of the cage when he's in it, he digs at my hand or plays turtle and WON'T MOVE EVER.

Frith now hates me since I've been picking him up straight out of the top of the pen a lot lately. He refuses to come out ever in the first place and he needs exercise, so I've started picking him up out of the pen and plopping him in my room and attempting to scoot him around.

Now he thinks I'm the devil. :sigh:

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
Is there any particular reason to not feed a rabbit fresh non-dried hay? The fields around my house have an endless supply of fresh timothy grass, and douglas seems to love it, whereas he often refuses to eat the dried hay version. Just wanna make sure it's not a problem to feed wet vs. dry.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

luscious posted:

Any time I've had to violate my rabbit's trust with medication, it takes him two days tops to forget all about it. I'd say just do what you normally do and don't go out of your way to force him to interact with you.

Relayer posted:

Is there any particular reason to not feed a rabbit fresh non-dried hay? The fields around my house have an endless supply of fresh timothy grass, and douglas seems to love it, whereas he often refuses to eat the dried hay version. Just wanna make sure it's not a problem to feed wet vs. dry.

I think a problem might be that you don't know if there are things such as pesticides on the grass.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

DS at Night posted:

I think a problem might be that you don't know if there are things such as pesticides on the grass.

Well, we own the fields, they used to be farmed regularly 10 or so years ago but even then they were never sprayed, it was just basic hay that was fed to cows and now grows wild every year.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Relayer posted:

Well, we own the fields, they used to be farmed regularly 10 or so years ago but even then they were never sprayed, it was just basic hay that was fed to cows and now grows wild every year.

Well that sounds great. Ever considered growing some of your own rabbit food? Might save some money.

maplecheese
Oct 31, 2006
Disturbingly delicious.
Motitas went to her new home today! :dance: She's the lion-head girl who loves chin scritchies that I mentioned earlier in the thread. Technically, she's only being fostered, but she'll be adopted in 2 months if she's making good progress at getting along with the girl's current rabbit.

I am so pleased about this! Her new fosterer/prospective owner seems like a responsible person who's done her research, and she was totally in love with Motitas after spending some time with her today.

... though I do wonder if the owner is going to Google "motitas rabbit" or something and find this thread now.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

I'm a little nervous about some issues my bunny seems to have been having over the past day or so. He seems to be producing some... liquid that is yellowish in colour and somewhat viscous, making me think it isn't urine (he also has never peed outside his cage since we have had him). I would think diarrhea but he is also having normal poops, so I don't see how that would work. It did come from his bottom though... so what are some thoughts?

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Ghost of Castro posted:

I'm a little nervous about some issues my bunny seems to have been having over the past day or so. He seems to be producing some... liquid that is yellowish in colour and somewhat viscous, making me think it isn't urine (he also has never peed outside his cage since we have had him). I would think diarrhea but he is also having normal poops, so I don't see how that would work. It did come from his bottom though... so what are some thoughts?

I think that it's normal for rabbits to have pee that ranges in colour from normal to red. Sometimes mine have pee that is kind of sluggey. I change their diet when that happens... less sugar or whatevs.

that said, I don't think that any animal owners watch their pet's pee and poops as much as rabbit owners do.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

luscious posted:

I think that it's normal for rabbits to have pee that ranges in colour from normal to red. Sometimes mine have pee that is kind of sluggey. I change their diet when that happens... less sugar or whatevs.

that said, I don't think that any animal owners watch their pet's pee and poops as much as rabbit owners do.

That means he has stopped peeing exclusively in the cage... :( How can I work so he will go in the cage always or do accidents happen sometimes? Would it have to do with him thinking it is his territory? (he seems to like to poop in the same general area when he's out... unfortunately it is on the rug under my computer chair.)

Also, since you are in Ontario, do you know where a comprehensive list of vets for rabbits are or could you suggest ones? I think the closest one I've found is in Burlington (I'm in Hamilton) and that is quite a haul... especially since my car is out of commission for the foreseeable future.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

I've read through HRS articles that really, REALLY dark pee that is closer to dark orange or red means dehydration.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I'm so glad my rabbit took right to litter training and is very good about it

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Ghost of Castro posted:

That means he has stopped peeing exclusively in the cage... :( How can I work so he will go in the cage always or do accidents happen sometimes? Would it have to do with him thinking it is his territory? (he seems to like to poop in the same general area when he's out... unfortunately it is on the rug under my computer chair.)

Also, since you are in Ontario, do you know where a comprehensive list of vets for rabbits are or could you suggest ones? I think the closest one I've found is in Burlington (I'm in Hamilton) and that is quite a haul... especially since my car is out of commission for the foreseeable future.

is Hamilton near Guelph?

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Eek; I got home and my buns were in the wrong pens! Zen and Frith still live separately and I guess the gate closing both of them has a little wiggle room. I think Frith got into Zen's side and they had a bit of a fight (I see fur :( ) and Zen managed to flee.

:sigh: Silly bunnies.

Although it's good to know they won't kill each other. I'm sorely tempted to do the "put them together and make them suck it up until they like each other" form of getting them to live together.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

luscious posted:

is Hamilton near Guelph?

Somewhat, not too accessible by public transit though, which is also the problem with the place in Burlington. What is there?

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

angelicism posted:

Eek; I got home and my buns were in the wrong pens! Zen and Frith still live separately and I guess the gate closing both of them has a little wiggle room. I think Frith got into Zen's side and they had a bit of a fight (I see fur :( ) and Zen managed to flee.

:sigh: Silly bunnies.

Although it's good to know they won't kill each other. I'm sorely tempted to do the "put them together and make them suck it up until they like each other" form of getting them to live together.

This morning I woke up to weird noises, lots of thumps. I thought it was the people above us but figured I should check on the bunnies just in case. Nobbers was in Thomas' cage and there was fur all over the place. :( I think Nobbers squeezed through a gap in the door between the two cages. I'm glad I got up so that I could separate them.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Ghost of Castro posted:

Somewhat, not too accessible by public transit though, which is also the problem with the place in Burlington. What is there?

Campus Estates Animal Hospital
(519) 837-1212

if you call them and ask for a recommendation in Hamilton they might be able to give it to you.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

My bun Murdoch died Thursday night. I'm pretty sure it was GI stasis, it's been pretty horrifying because she seemed totally fine earlier in the week; she actually did her first totally airborne binky in my new apartment this Monday. Wednesday night I noticed she wasn't eating a whole lot, but she seemed interested in her food and she ate some veggies out of my hand, so I figured she'd eat the rest in the middle of the night (she'd occasionally wake me up with her chewing, since her pen is right next to my bed and likes eating most of her evening food really late at night). Thursday morning I saw that she hadn't eaten anything else I set out for her and she was acting a little odd (I guess kinda lethargic), which made me pretty worried. I got her some fresh food and cleaned out her litter box (which I do every morning), and tried to get her to eat. She was hopping around, but mostly huddling under my bed and in the corner of her cage. I didn't know if something had spooked her or what, and I didn't know the symptoms of GI stasis, and since she'd acted totally fine just 24 hours before I ran off to class and told myself I'd check on her as soon as I got back.

Unfortunately Thursday is my heavy day, so I didn't get back until night and I checked on her first thing. Her food bowl was untouched, her litterbox was completely empty (I don't even think she stepped foot in it) and she was sitting in the corner acting very unresponsive. I freaked the gently caress out and found the only 24 vet in town, called and asked if the vet knew rabbits, and they said yes so I put Murdoch in her carrier (met with some resistance, which was encouraging during these circumstances), and raced to the vet.

I'm pretty pissed off at the vet; he was sort of a dick about the whole thing, and it got pretty clear pretty fast he was not experienced with rabbits. He tried to pry open her mouth and couldn't get it open, and then took her temperature with an anal thermometer. She grunted and was pretty obviously freaked out. He left the room to go look at some textbooks (this is what the nurse told me), and came back and said it was malocclusion and that she couldn't open her mouth because she was so weak from starving. I told him that I had seen her eat a piece of carrot the night before, and that she'd been finishing off almost everything I gave her until last night, so how could that be? He told me rabbits only live about 5 years (I've had her for 3 1/2 years, but I found her so I don't really know how old she is). I argued with him and he said that he raised rabbits when he was little and that there was nothing I could do.

So I'm bawling at this point and stroking her and she can't even sit up straight at this point, and she's on her side and starts gasping for air. And I'm asking the vet, "Why is she opening and closing her mouth? How is she opening her mouth?" because he just told me she couldn't and was too weak to and that that was why she couldn't eat. He just said she was gasping for air because her brain was dying from lack of gluclose, and he gave her a shot of something to help but moments later she died.

After crying and petting her in hysterics for a few minutes I finally ask this rear end in a top hat what I'm supposed to do now (I have no place to bury her), and he tried to over charge me for cremation. I talked to him for a bit but his attempts at consolation were condescending and belittling. That night was loving horrible, and when I got home I spent a few hours researching malocclusion and frequent causes of rabbit death. I think it's possible her teeth weren't totally aligned (though my old vet never said anything? They specialized in small animals but maybe they weren't very good either?), but it sounds a hell of a lot more like GI stasis. She was shedding a lot and I fed generally fed her a cup of kale, parsley, cilantro, celery, or carrots at morning and night with unlimited timothy hay and a 1/4 cup of timothy hay pellets a few times a week. I hardly ever gave her fruit unless I was trying to bribe her into her carrier. I didn't know there was a controversy over kale until yesterday; the food-lists I found when I first found her had kale listed as an okay vegetable, so I never questioned it. I wish I'd known about the pineapple thing before today; I loving love pineapple and had been buying them every few weeks or so, and I could have shared.

I think the GI stasis plus the stress of the vet put her over the edge. I don't know if she would have lived with a more competent vet. It's awful, I couldn't sleep in my room with her empty cage next to me, and I managed a few hours on the couch. I keep forgetting that's she's dead and expect to hear her hopping around, or I open the crisper to get her vegetables, and it's just surreal when I realize she isn't there. I dismantled her pen this morning, but I think I'm going to need to rearrange my room so it doesn't just feel like an empty corner.

I feel guilty because while I knew that rabbits were prone to intestinal problems, I didn't really know what that meant (like, discomfort? Weird feces? I didn't know it'd all shut down). I didn't know about any preventative things or what to look out for. I did research on how to take care of her, but I guess nothing I read really got into specifics about GI stasis. I feel terrible that she had to suffer so much while I was in class without a clue. If I'd known I would have skipped class and driven her to a recommended vet in LA.

Here's some pictures from a couple weeks back. I miss her. :smith:

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Sorry for your loss :(

To be honest, it seems a lot of vets have little or no idea how to treat rabbits in my experience. Anything beyond cats and dogs seems to somehow mean less to them so they don't bother to educate themselves about it.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Oh that sounds terrible and it's even worse that the vet is to blame. Lots of vets claim to know about rabbits but when it comes down to it they just assume they are really big rats or maybe vegetarian cats. It's downright appalling and I've also almost lost my rabbit to an incompetent vet before finding a vet who's specialized in exotics. Which comes in handy as my guy's had GI problems four times before.

Your rabbit looks like a less hairy version of my own guy, too. He's headbutting my ankle, I should go give him lots of cuddles :(

edit: and he said they live 5 years max, that has to be the sign of someone who doesn't know the first thing about rabbits. What a tool.

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

Saucy Robot posted:

I feel terrible that she had to suffer so much while I was in class without a clue. If I'd known I would have skipped class and driven her to a recommended vet in LA.

I'm so sorry, and especially so that your e-vet was a dick. :(
Don't blame yourself; rabbits are very fickle animals and the care-advice about them is often directly conflicting... the hardest thing about rabbits is how fast they can go. You did the best you could given what you had learned.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face
I'm so sorry :glomp:

It's hard when you don't know how old they are (the vet is full of poo poo, rabbits can make it 10+ years). You could have an autopsy done to determine the cause of death but it's up to you. They are fragile and when it's their time, it seems to be their time :(

KracKiwi
Mar 29, 2002

:byodood: well excuse me, princess!

Saucy Robot posted:

Murdoch

:smith: Heart breaking... poor bunny.

This has gotten me worried about Pippin. We recently painted a room near Pippin's litterbox/bowl/cage area, and had to move her stuff into another room (along with random furniture). After we finished painting and moving everything back, she's been peeing (in a 2 foot radius) outside of her litterbox. It's been a couple weeks now and she's still doing it. We tried shifting her litterbox to the spots she'd pee in, but she still would go on the floor.

Any ideas? I was thinking maybe a new litterbox, but I'm not sure.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Bunway Airlines posted:

I'm so sorry :glomp:

It's hard when you don't know how old they are (the vet is full of poo poo, rabbits can make it 10+ years). You could have an autopsy done to determine the cause of death but it's up to you. They are fragile and when it's their time, it seems to be their time :(

I left her body with the vet to cremate, but at this point I'm pretty sure it was GI stasis and ultimately what's done is done. Yeah, as soon as the vet had to leave the room for 10 minutes to go look at textbooks I realized he didn't know what he was doing. When he told me they only live 5 years I argued with him, but he just told me I was wrong.

When I got home I had no clue what happened to her, just that whatever the vet told me was probably wrong. After looking into and doing research and getting a better idea what happened, I feel a bit better. I'm very angry with the vet, but now I know better for when I get a new bun. I'm going to hold off for at least a year until I'm more settled and closer to a more qualified vet.

Thanks for the support guys. :unsmith:

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Saucy Robot posted:

sad sad story.

I'm so sorry for your loss. There is nothing worse than not being able to find what you need when your pet is in danger. Please don't blame yourself or be too hard on yourself. There is no way to know what may have happened if circumstances had been different one way or another.

if you want to talk to someone over aim or whatever, mine is in my profile.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

I'm really sorry to hear about Murdoch. Stasis is just a scary thing in general. You're not alone with the vet situation though, it happens all over.

I worry constantly about my buns for emergency situations. The only time I had to run to a 24hr e-vet was for similar reasons, and luckily they got Debbie to eat some of the medicine and critical care food. I will say that the only vet on staff knew very little about rabbits, and also had to consult with some books to get the problem narrowed down to the point of keeping her alive(worst case scenario) until my regular vet was open the next day. He too thought it was something with her teeth.

My regular vet is about as much of a rabbit expert as I'm going to find in my area and he's really great with the buns. He goes off to seminars twice a year and is always up to date with info on rabbit health. Sadly he will always remind me that rabbits generally live 3-6 years and I want to just pop him in the nose. Plenty of people I know online and off have buns that lived to 9 and 10.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

If rabbits only lived 3-6 years I'd cry because Zen is already like 2 1/2.

Saucy, I'm so sorry for your loss, I don't know what I'd do if that happened to me. :(

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

angelicism posted:

If rabbits only lived 3-6 years I'd cry because Zen is already like 2 1/2.

Saucy, I'm so sorry for your loss, I don't know what I'd do if that happened to me. :(

Ender is 4 and we don't know how old Portia is :ohdear:

I think alucinor has a bun that's what, 9?

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Saucy Robot posted:

I left her body with the vet to cremate, but at this point I'm pretty sure it was GI stasis and ultimately what's done is done. Yeah, as soon as the vet had to leave the room for 10 minutes to go look at textbooks I realized he didn't know what he was doing. When he told me they only live 5 years I argued with him, but he just told me I was wrong.

When I got home I had no clue what happened to her, just that whatever the vet told me was probably wrong. After looking into and doing research and getting a better idea what happened, I feel a bit better. I'm very angry with the vet, but now I know better for when I get a new bun. I'm going to hold off for at least a year until I'm more settled and closer to a more qualified vet.

Thanks for the support guys. :unsmith:

Get the name and info of this rear end in a top hat and send it to as many HRS sites as soon as possible to get him blacklisted from ever accepting rabbits so some other owner doesn't fall into the same trap.

Very sad for your loss, but somewhere that bunny is in a better place happy hopping his way to neverending greens and as much fruit as he wants to eat.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!
If rabbits only lived 3-6 years, it would mean my Bowser is some sort of goddamn Highlander seeing as how she's at least 9 years old (could be as old as 11) and shows no signs of slowing.

I'm so sorry you guys have had such bad experiences with vets. I've had some iffy ones myself, but none that tried to tell me my rabbit was a senior citizen at 2.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Bunway Airlines posted:

I think alucinor has a bun that's what, 9?

I used to take in a lot of 6 year old rabbits, thinking that they had, oh, 2 years left at most.

Bun-Bun was 8 at surrender, 12 when he died; Max was 6 at surrender, near 8 at her death; Flax was 6 at surrender, 8 years 3 months at death. All three were 1-owner rabbits; birthdates confirmed by paperwork from the surrendering owner in the first two cases and from the vet who assisted with his birth in the last case.

Bess is at least 8; purchased as a young adult in 2001 by her surrendering owner (who still stays in contact with me). In fantastic health.

Jeannie, Dodger, and Noelle are all thought to be around 10. All surrendered in early 2005, their separate owners each reported they were 6 years of age at that time, but we can only confirm the last 4. All in fantastic health.

Rosemarie is theoretically around 12; we can only confirm the last 6. Surrendered in 2003; reported by her owner to be 6 years of age at that time. Comparing pictures of her from 2003 and from today, you can see that the brown-grey fur at the base of her ears has turned almost white.

So yeah, this whole "she's 6, she's won't be with me very long!" thing hasn't worked out so well for me. Based just on my own experience I'd say that a rabbit who is altered and who is provided with a hay-based diet and regular vet care (especially dental exams) is looking at 8-10 years easy.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

alucinor posted:

I used to take in a lot of 6 year old rabbits, thinking that they had, oh, 2 years left at most.

This also reminds me- last year, after fostering two young male bunnies and seeing how much Bowser loved being in the company of other rabbits, I started checking with the shelters to see if I could find another senior citizen to pair up with Bowser. Anywhere I found someone labeled as being a senior, it was usually a 4-5 year old bunny. I just wanted a second 10-year old bunny to be a crankypants and snuggle with Bowser, not another decade commitment. :mad:

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
I'm so sorry to hear about Murdoch, when Annie went through stasis I was so glad that the rabbit specialist was in that day, they had her on life support in minutes and 3 days (and -$1800) later she was back to normal.

Once when I was at the vet, a woman was getting her rabbit checked out and she claimed her "snowball" was nearly 15 years old. Apparently it really depends on care and treatment.

Deceptor101 fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 9, 2009

CatholicSoulTrain
Oct 27, 2006

Our buns send their condolences as well, Saucy. She was a gorgeous bun. :( Our Knowles died of stasis a few months ago, even though we made it to our normal, bun-savvy vet that afternoon. He got too cold, and we couldn't warm him up enough...don't blame yourself. You did what you could, and you were with her at the end. That's what counts.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

alucinor posted:

Bun-Bun was 8 at surrender, 12 when he died; Max was 6 at surrender, near 8 at her death; Flax was 6 at surrender, 8 years 3 months at death. All three were 1-owner rabbits; birthdates confirmed by paperwork from the surrendering owner in the first two cases and from the vet who assisted with his birth in the last case.

Bess is at least 8; purchased as a young adult in 2001 by her surrendering owner (who still stays in contact with me). In fantastic health.

Jeannie, Dodger, and Noelle are all thought to be around 10. All surrendered in early 2005, their separate owners each reported they were 6 years of age at that time, but we can only confirm the last 4. All in fantastic health.

Rosemarie is theoretically around 12; we can only confirm the last 6. Surrendered in 2003; reported by her owner to be 6 years of age at that time. Comparing pictures of her from 2003 and from today, you can see that the brown-grey fur at the base of her ears has turned almost white.

So yeah, this whole "she's 6, she's won't be with me very long!" thing hasn't worked out so well for me. Based just on my own experience I'd say that a rabbit who is altered and who is provided with a hay-based diet and regular vet care (especially dental exams) is looking at 8-10 years easy.

You proved my point ;)

I'd love for Ender and Portia to see 10+. I know they both should have many years left in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
When I was a kid, I had a rabbit that was fed mostly pellets (we didn't know hay was essential until the last year or two of her life) and was unfixed. She lived to eight, even though you'd figure she would have died at three knowing what we know now. When the vet put her to sleep, she said that all of her organs were very healthy aside from the cancer.

So yeah, I'm figuring that my current, hay fed, vet spoiled bunnies will probably live to their twenties or something insane.