Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR
Two Skorne models I painted up recently for a tournament:

Next up is a full unit of Cygnar Stormguard and some solos. I'd like to get a 35 point list fully painted in a month for a Flashpoint event. We'll see how that goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Made some progress on baby tanks:

Yes, they're Epic baneblades. I'm going for an Alpha Legion list, which also incorporates traitor guard. I didnt' want to go 100% CHAOS! for the guard, so I can retask them to loyal forces - but I did want them to have a grimy Rogue Trader feel.

Hopefully I can get some more units done this weekend, and a little more detail on these guys. I'm having poo poo luck figuring out Alpha Legion's vehicles and symbols though. :(

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Great contributions, those skorne and tanks are both really well done

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Seeing non warham stuff in here owns.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Cakefool posted:

Painting tank tracks: Brown basecoat, tinbitz then boltgun drybrushing?

Or has anyone got a better method?

Instead of brown basecoat and tinbitz, I'm all about Vallejo Dark Rust (it's in the Panzer Aces range) for tank tracks. Then boltgun, dirt with whatever method (paint, pigments or whatever) then a few bits of pencil or more boltgun on the edges that'll be clear of dirt.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
The first step is spending money, as they say! Actually, a majority of my MOW models were assembled, but I broke 'em up so I could paint each piece in more detail. I actually saw the P3 painting teaser video on the Privateer Press website, which actually demonstrated what I sorta need to do in order to get a solid gold. I picked up a fairly cheap set of brushes for drybrushing and a cheap palette to try and make sure the blending works well.

One thing that comes to mind is: primer it as black, or gray? I might need to go buy black, since I have a matte gray right now.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

If the models are mostly black then its a no-brainer ;)

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I really like those baneblades.

It looks like inbetween Nurgle bits I'm going to be painting quite a few Night Goblins, the problem is I suck at painting black cloth. My first thought was maybe use shadow grey as the highlight colour.
Any tips ?

Alternatively, would I be better off just starting with a dark grey and then badab washing ?

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

The orc from my previous post with some more work done to him. Still need to paint his pants and do the highlights. Using red in the shadows has made it interesting. It's easy to use too much as you can see in the shot of the back of his head. Going for a gold/copper on his armor. Still not sure what to do for the jeweled bracer on his arm.

Click here for the full 500x822 image.

Ceritus
Jul 31, 2002

C'mon, all the cool kids are doing it.

Arlaharen posted:

Two Skorne models I painted up recently for a tournament:
Those are sweet. Skorne look great in Vinter's colors. The bases are pretty awesome, too - what materials did you use to get that effect?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Arlaharen posted:

your nickelodeon floam is spilling out of the base

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR

Ceritus posted:

Those are sweet. Skorne look great in Vinter's colors. The bases are pretty awesome, too - what materials did you use to get that effect?

Thanks! The base is really easy to make. I break up a cork placemat and glue it to the base together with sand so the entire surface is covered. Basecoat white, then just drybrush yellow, orange, red and brown to get a gradent. I go really easy with the red on the lower parts and the brown is only for the area just under the plateau the model is standing on. Finally I paint the flat surface black. You can easily paint enough bases for an entire army in a day.

I think I got the technique originally fram CMON but can't find the article. Might have been from the PP forums.

Broken Loose posted:

your nickelodeon floam is spilling out of the base

Rhadeim is so badass it radiates across base boundaries.

asbo subject
Jan 22, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Need some advice on thinning my paints.

The easiest way seems to be using dropper bottles to add water so you get the same consistancy every time. I've found various places to get these on the internet but the postage cost for such a cheap item annoys me.

I've looked at the vallejo paints I bought and the dropper bottles look like they don't come apart to easy or go back together easy either. So a screw on dropper bottle top thing would be better.

Any ideas for places to get these, or another way to add a small measured amount of water? I live in the UK so suggestions like walmart won't be helpful.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

asbo subject posted:

The easiest way seems to be using dropper bottles to add water so you get the same consistancy every time. I've found various places to get these on the internet but the postage cost for such a cheap item annoys me.

I've looked at the vallejo paints I bought and the dropper bottles look like they don't come apart to easy or go back together easy either. So a screw on dropper bottle top thing would be better.

Any ideas for places to get these, or another way to add a small measured amount of water? I live in the UK so suggestions like walmart won't be helpful.

You can lever off the vallejo lids with a small screwdriver or something. Try going to your local chemist and pick up an eyedropper or empty syringe. I use the latter to transfer paint when I run my airbrush.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

asbo subject posted:

Use a drinking straw. Put your finger over the end when you dip it into the water and let your finger off the end to release the water into your paint.

asbo subject
Jan 22, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Fix posted:

Use a drinking straw. Put your finger over the end when you dip it into the water and let your finger off the end to release the water into your paint.

Thank you, i never thought of that. Even though I used the same technique many years ago doing chemistry with a pippete.

asbo subject
Jan 22, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

No Pun Intended posted:

You can lever off the vallejo lids with a small screwdriver or something. Try going to your local chemist and pick up an eyedropper or empty syringe. I use the latter to transfer paint when I run my airbrush.

That would work too. I feel quite loving stupid now. I won't be levering tops off of my paints but I will snaffle some syringes from work. I'm thinking the 1 ml graduated insulin syringe.

Another question- I saw some distilled water being sold in my LGS, is their any disadvantage of using tap water to thin paints?

asbo subject fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 7, 2009

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
From my experience I have had no problems with tap water, it probably depends on how hard your local water supply is.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

asbo subject posted:

Another question- I saw some distilled water being sold in my LGS, is their any disadvantage of using tap water to thin paints?

Too much water will break the bonds of the pigment and render it essentially useless. Water used in moderation works just fine, and my understanding is that some of the pros only use water to thin their paints. A fair number of others make use of various paint additives like Liquitex Flow Aid to thin paints without breaking the pigment bonds, improve adhesion and increase the drying time to make blending easier.

Two of the more prominent additive blends are by Anne Foerster and Jen Haley, professional miniature painters for Reaper.

Anne's Recipe:
80% Folk Art Extender (a fluid retarder, despite the name)
10% Windsor & Newton Flow Improver
10% Water

Jen's Recipe:
25% Liquitex Slow-Dri Fluid Retarder
25% Windsor & Newton Flow Improver
50% Water

I'll admit I haven't tried either of them as no store within 100 miles of my house carries these products, but the internet loves them for whatever that's worth.

Anyone have any experience with these or other additive mixes?

asbo subject
Jan 22, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

No Pun Intended posted:

From my experience I have had no problems with tap water, it probably depends on how hard your local water supply is.

Hard as gently caress to be honest. It scales up my kettle like a bastard and comes out of the tap looking for a fight. Along with syringes, sterile water will be on my borrow list.

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

Got some painting in while watching T.V. today.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Click here for the full 800x584 image.

Click here for the full 733x513 image.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Hacking up a battlewagon. Lots of the bits aren't glued yet which is why there's demented half-wheels at the front.

Now, when I started this build I knew I'd end up with the standard deffrolla arms not fitting. Do these arms (from grabba klaws) look a bit weedy for the rolla?

Obviously I still have a lot of plates and rivets still to do on the rest of the wagon.

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
He's just a fast food knight.
I didn't notice the arms til ou pointed them out, and I think they look fine. Whole project is looking good keep it up :)

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Shallow posted:

Hacking up a battlewagon. Lots of the bits aren't glued yet which is why there's demented half-wheels at the front.

Now, when I started this build I knew I'd end up with the standard deffrolla arms not fitting. Do these arms (from grabba klaws) look a bit weedy for the rolla?

Obviously I still have a lot of plates and rivets still to do on the rest of the wagon.

They look great, Shallow. Hydraulic rolla arms are a good touch.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I still cant figure out why the hell GW made that bwagon so skinny, but I guess it gives everyone the opportunity to chop it up and widen it

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

So after wandering into a GW late on a Thursday night (a bit drunk) a couple of months ago, I decided I would get back into things after a 10 year gap. I was never into the gaming side, and just painted. Till now exclusively fantasy so this was a bit of a change.

Model is one of the old metal furiouso dreadnoughts I found in my bits box, converted to a Deathwing model ( as i hate painting red)

I'm pretty pleased with the result, although it wasnt quite like riding a bike after such a gap. Lots of re-learning throughout!

One thing I did realise whilst painting is how good the plastic models have got nowadays. I always used to hate painting them (the weight just felt wrong in my hands), and was adamant I'd be paiting something metal, but the moulding on this one when comparing it to the new models just doesnt stand up. Ah well

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 12:14 on May 21, 2014

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

PaintVagrant posted:

kind of out of focus, going to reshoot them when I reshoot the whole army tomorrow

Dammmmmmn. Really making me want to rework my paint scheme for my Deathguard. Very nice work man.

I haven't painted in two years, so its a bit rough getting back into it - very rusty. Here is my Deathguard WIP test model. Still need to thin down my paints some more, they are surprisingly still liquid even though its been awhile since I opened them, but they could use a bit of water..

I based with Scorched Brown, drybrush on Rotting Flesh, followed by two thin coats of more Rotting Flesh to smooth it out. Raised edges / Borders are Catachan Green based with Camo Green over it. All recesses then given a thin lining of Scorched Brown to smooth it out a bit. I might need to darken the armor color slightly because I can't make any bone stand out from the armor. I could use some critique and advice. [Edit: Probably going to stop drybrushing, I think its what is giving me the unwanted coarseness on the figures.]

And a plague zombie I'm working on. To show how Papa Nurgle loves sharing his gift with everyone regardless of race, I'm salvaging old and broken IG, Marine, Eldar, Ork, and even 'Nids to make a zombie horde.

Fake James fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 10, 2009

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.
Are Khorne Berzerkers the only place to get chainaxes? I need a couple dozen :shobon:

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!

FirstCongoWar posted:

Are Khorne Berzerkers the only place to get chainaxes? I need a couple dozen :shobon:

Don't Techpriests/Techmarines come with Omnissian Chainaxes? Could probably use those if necessary (if somewhat changed maybe).

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I might have a bunch spare- I'll check later.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Nice to get back to work after taking 6 days off:

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

FirstCongoWar posted:

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/chainaxes.htm

PaintVagrant posted:

Nice to get back to work after taking 6 days off:

Now you need a wings pic :v:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Getting those FW axes would almost certainly be a very bad idea. The handles will be extraordinarily easy to break, and probably warped to gently caress.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Zarkov Cortez posted:

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/chainaxes.htm

Now you need a wings pic :v:

Yeah wings will be done today :)

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
PV, those are friggin awesome.

On primers, what can you use instead of citadel's 15 dollar white spray can? I know for black it's krylon flat black, anything for white?

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
I've had a lot of luck using duplicolor sandable auto primer as my white.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

armory white is 6 bux

A Powerful Cream
Jun 25, 2009

get ready to read some badposts b*tch!! - fdr to hitler, 1972
Posted in gibbus but didn't get many replies so I figured here might be good

A Powerful Cream posted:

So guys... I need some help.

I just wrapped up my rhino and I had run out of red gore during the basecoating stage but still ended up getting 2 coats out of it. I swear to god I thinned my paints and everything but look what came out of it:

This thing looks loving horrible on camera and I was actually pretty pleased with it in person :smith:. Is there any way to fix this outside of repainting the entire model?

It isn't really noticeable in room lighting without closer inspection but Christ does that pic show some horrible uneven coverage.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

A Powerful Cream posted:

Try using a coat or 2 of mechrite red before slapping red gore on next time? Foundation paints are pretty amazing for giving you a good layer to start with. Either that or get an airbrush.

Oh and use a bigger brush?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
Here's some stuff:

lovely photo. It's a Tzeench demon prince on a chariot. I will try to shoot some better pictures of him; he's riding some tau poo poo, all doomrider style. I still need to give him arms, finish the faces all coming out of his torso and make the tau thing look all hosed.
I guess the fluff behind him is that even Tau can get hosed up by demons despite having no warp presence because, gently caress YEAH I'M A DEMON
SUCK MY DIIIIIICCCKKKK

On that note, here's a Keeper of Secrets:

Thanks to PV who sold me the spawn kit for mad cheap. These dudes were spawn.

e: in the last photo of the KoS I didn't rotate him correctly and his sword got caught on those spikes, so he's leaning back a bit.

• Locked thread