Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Wow. What the hell happened to your axle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Lord Yod posted:

Wow. What the hell happened to your axle?

A rubber boot holds them in, he broke something to rip the wheel out of the wheelwell, and the boot just rips and the tripod joint falls apart.

Dicker
Sep 1, 2006

Billy Zane posted:

More details here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169370

That's the dealership I work at. I didn't see the guy pulling the car in, but from what I could tell looking at it was that he hit the curb dead on at high speed, and broke the control arm and studs off, car got fixed and put back into service a week or so later.

blambert
Jul 2, 2007
you spin me right round baby right round.
This is the best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuUya0fimmQ

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

blambert posted:

This is the best

:v:

:haw:

WTF did he tie that strap to that it pulled the whole rear end of the car off?

ZombieLicker
Jan 3, 2008

by T. Finn
I'll tell you what it wasn't. The tow hook.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

blambert posted:

This is the best

This... this is a thing of beauty. Thank you for this.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...
Exploded the rear diff on the Defender at the rally this year. A spider gear decided to make a hasty exit out the back of the housing. What I get for trying to show off in front of photographers from 3 different magazines. I was so hoping for a cover shot finally. Who did get on that cover? My wife in our Classic. *sigh*

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ZombieLicker posted:

I'll tell you what it wasn't. The tow hook.
Even if it was, on most stuff they're really just meant for tying the car down to a transporter, or the gentle pull to roll the car behind something else, not for dragging the thing bodily when it's been beached.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

blambert posted:

This is the best

Christ, people. You shovel the snow out from under and around the car first!

I can't imagine the feeling the driver of the truck and/or car owner and/or whoever tied it down must have had when the back of the car just exploded like that.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

orange lime posted:

Christ, people. You shovel the snow out from under and around the car first!

I can't imagine the feeling the driver of the truck and/or car owner and/or whoever tied it down must have had when the back of the car just exploded like that.

Truck Driver: Hahaha, my truck is tough!

Car Owner: My mom is going to kill me!

Camera Man: I'm glad I got that on Camera!

Me: They should have used the truck to push the car back into the drive way so he could back out through the gap visible.

Tiki Powers
Jul 19, 2005
If your friendship can survive this, your not playing dirty enough

blambert posted:

This is the best

He's lucky that bumper didn't just break at the hook. Ive seen those tow straps slingshot back into someone.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

autophreak posted:

He's lucky that bumper didn't just break at the hook. Ive seen those tow straps slingshot back into someone.

I'd say they're all lucky to live through each day with that level of intelligence.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

autophreak posted:

They shouldn't have even been using tow straps in the first place. That's a job for a loving recovery strap. You need to not have any goddamn metal chunks at the end and for the strap to have some elasticity.

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma

Click here for the full 1024x766 image.

Someone sent me this picture, Its a piston/cylinder wall.

How does this happen?

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

hippynerd posted:

How does this happen?

No torque plate was used while finishing the cylinder, so the cylinder was not put under proper stresses, and cause minute undulations in the cylinder wall.
This is my understanding, someone correct me if I am wrong.

Rogz
Jul 22, 2009

Mr booby head vagina man.
I've done that to 2-strokes by overheating them so much the piston swells and touches the cylinder wall.

I've done some really horrible things to 2-strokes. :(

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

DefaultPeanut posted:

No torque plate was used while finishing the cylinder, so the cylinder was not put under proper stresses, and cause minute undulations in the cylinder wall.
This is my understanding, someone correct me if I am wrong.

When that happens, the undulations are usually more gradual in appearence and in a pattern that tends to correspond to the head bolts - my money's on insufficent cylinder clearance and/or overheating.

Like the previous poster said, the piston just grows until it breaks through the oil film and galls against the cylinder wall.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
I should have said more when I posted. I have also seen that predominantly in 2-stroke engines, as a result of the lack of a torque plate when boring / honing.
As there was no plate, the material was able to "slouch" and bulge slightly, mainly around the head bolts. Like was said, when it overheats, that is the first thing (the bulged spots) to contact the piston when the film of oil is broken.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Rogz posted:

I've done that to 2-strokes by overheating them so much the piston swells and touches the cylinder wall.

Heh, I know what 12,000 rpm sound like on a old 250cc.

I also know what a siezed lower end sounds like as well.

Those hot mags you'd replace your stock system with were pretty loving awesome.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

teh jhey posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et-g4P8SbJQ

Jesus gently caress, this guy must have dropped it into reverse to pull off something like this.
A friend of mine has a NA civic drag car with prelude motor swap, stock block, runs a 12.4. Last time he took it to the track, he mis-shifted. 1st to 2nd to 1st. Over-reved the poo poo out of it, pulled a stoppie, and apparently the engine still runs. :aaaaa:

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
The #1 piston from an old civic I owned with an H23A1 engine in it. I had been running a crappy Zex fogger nitrous kit on it through the intake with no additional fuel for about 3 months when this happened. This is the only picture I still have, it's like the piston is smiling.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

:downs:

Disciple of Pain
Dec 4, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2frjSvo9BBc

Bird strike. The mighty 757 maintains V2 and climbs out on one engine. These guys don't even lower the nose a smidge.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Amazing. Really interesting to see how difficult it appeared to bring the thing to a stop when only one engine is available for reverse thrust. It looks like they had the thing cranked to the left when they touched down.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

"Bird debris" on the runway. :v:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Rogz posted:

are you the dick who owned my KTM before me? you dick.
(see page 1)

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Click here for the full 1024x683 image.

wiring harness to the MAF sensor melted, so the ecu assumed airflow had been cut off, and therefore didn't need to inject any fuel.

Disciple of Pain
Dec 4, 2005

bisticles posted:

Amazing. Really interesting to see how difficult it appeared to bring the thing to a stop when only one engine is available for reverse thrust. It looks like they had the thing cranked to the left when they touched down.

You can google RTO procedures where they get the plane at max weight to takeoff speed and then use ONLY the brakes to stop. That is "difficult" to stop (the brakes will catch fire, tires explode, etc - but the plane has to be able to sit/taxi for 5 minutes without having a major fire), this plane could have stopped faster - but the pilot knew once they were on the ground there was no real danger - just wanted to stop the plane nice and easy - knowing it would be best to taxi clear of the runway as well.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Related video off one of the engine failure vids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNDFkK8zp0c&feature=related

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Kadler posted:

That was NOT what I was expecting. :lol:

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost

Kadler posted:

Hahhaha everything about that video is retarded.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Disciple of Pain posted:

You can google RTO procedures where they get the plane at max weight to takeoff speed and then use ONLY the brakes to stop. That is "difficult" to stop (the brakes will catch fire, tires explode, etc - but the plane has to be able to sit/taxi for 5 minutes without having a major fire)

Actually, the brakes shouldn't catch fire, and aircraft tires really don't blow up.

When that test is done, the brakes will be glowing white hot, and there may be some grease briefly burning off, but the brakes and wheels aren't actually on fire.

Large aircraft tires are normally fitted with fusible plugs that melt at a certain temperature to deflate the tires in a controlled manner, since the tires are inflated to around 200PSI, which makes a blowout insanely dangerous.

Here's the video of a 777 doing a rejected takeoff during certification in the 1990's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXpjBxD0Rhg

Disciple of Pain
Dec 4, 2005

azflyboy posted:

Actually, the brakes shouldn't catch fire, and aircraft tires really don't blow up.

When that test is done, the brakes will be glowing white hot, and there may be some grease briefly burning off, but the brakes and wheels aren't actually on fire.

Large aircraft tires are normally fitted with fusible plugs that melt at a certain temperature to deflate the tires in a controlled manner, since the tires are inflated to around 200PSI, which makes a blowout insanely dangerous.

Here's the video of a 777 doing a rejected takeoff during certification in the 1990's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXpjBxD0Rhg

I know that the brakes (which are carbon, metal, etc) do not literally catch on fire. But there would very likely have been small fires at the wheels if it was truly a STOP AS FAST AS POSSIBLE kind of thing. It wasn't. It was not a huge deal and there was no reason to try to stop SO fast.

And yeah, explode was a hyperbole. As soon as they lose pressure though, they end up shredding to bits (usually still attached though).

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
Aircraft brakes most certainly can catch on fire.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
There's also a video out there of some of the tires exploding when they tested the full-load full-stop no thrust-reverse ran the rejected takeoff test on one of the newer passenger jets. The issue that caused it was later fixed, but it's pretty loving crazy to see those aircraft tires going off like bombs. I think the video's somewhere in the "things you find on YouTube" thread, but that's a lot to wade through.

e: Clarified, and found the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRzWp67PIMw

Nuevo fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 11, 2009

Bitcoin Billionaire
Mar 10, 2007
That's crazy. I think that's a truncated version, does anyone have the full one?

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Hahaha that was awesome. They were playing it so cool for a while there then get abandoned by ground control while their plane is on fire.

Maybe SOMEONE should have learnt how to use the slide.

LOO
Mar 5, 2004

Uncontained Turbine Failure:

LOO fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Nov 11, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petekill
May 14, 2005

Where's Hammond?
Well I'll call him!

LOO posted:

Uncontained Turbine Failure:

In this sort of situation, do they even try to fix the damage to the engine, or is it a "trash it and get a new one" kinda thing?