Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Yeah my brand new build (that I apologize for posting about earlier and causing a flare-up of Win Experience hate) scores 7.3 (core i5-750 stock clocked)/7.5 (GSkill 1333 DDR3)/7.5 (HD4870)/5.9

I have a WD Caviar Black 640GB.

goddamn top of the page AGAIN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Hell, I get 5.2 on the drive index with a 250gb 5400rpm 2.5in notebook drive.

pskoc
Oct 27, 2009
q6600 , 7.1
4gb ram , 7.1
Nvidia 8800gt, 6.9
HD: 1tb caviar, 5.9

Lowest limited by HD again.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
5.9 here with a Seagate 500g sata II with NCQ.

VVV edit:

code:
  <AvgThroughput kind="Sequential Read" units="MB/s" ioSize="65536" score="6.3">87.78437</AvgThroughput> 
  <AvgThroughput kind="Random Read" units="MB/s" ioSize="16384" score="4.2">1.90000</AvgThroughput> 
  <Responsiveness Kind="AverageIORate" units="ms/IO" score="5.5" factor="0.0">4.69000</Responsiveness> 
  <Responsiveness Kind="GroupedIOs" units="units" score="6.6" factor="0.0">12.60611</Responsiveness> 
  <Responsiveness Kind="LongIOs" units="units" score="7.3" factor="0.0">10.83786</Responsiveness> 
  <Responsiveness Kind="Overall" units="units" score="6.7" factor="0.0">136.62321</Responsiveness> 
  <Responsiveness Kind="Cap" Reason="PASSED">FALSE</Responsiveness>

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 7, 2009

stedd
Jun 20, 2004

The name's Bullet. Tracer Bullet.
If you can post the actual <DiskMetrics> section from C:\Windows\Performance\WinSAT\DataStore instead of the top level number, that would be useful.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I read the OP and tried to figure this out, but the ADHD is kickin' in bad. And seeing as this thread is 180 pages long, this has probably been asked already. Damned if I'm going to read almost 200 pages to check, though. ;)

I realize I can't do an in-place upgrade from XP to 7. That's fine, I'd like to start fresh anyhow. Does this mean, however, that I must buy the full version for $200? I can't use the upgrade version? That's fine, I just want to be sure before I drop an extra $80. :)

Oh, one other thing: I've got an xfx 780i motherboard, and previously (on XP) I've run my two drives in RAID0 using its raid drivers. Am I going to have any trouble installing W7 onto such an arrangement?

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Nov 7, 2009

pacheco
May 2, 2005

Always bet on Duke.
I get 7+ on everything else, I am capped at 5.9 by HDD, even tried RAID-0 and same result. This is from a fresh installation.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Bad Munki posted:

I read the OP and tried to figure this out, but the ADHD is kickin' in bad. And seeing as this thread is 180 pages long, this has probably been asked already. Damned if I'm going to read almost 200 pages to check, though. ;)

I realize I can't do an in-place upgrade from XP to 7. That's fine, I'd like to start fresh anyhow. Does this mean, however, that I must buy the full version for $200? I can't use the upgrade version? That's fine, I just want to be sure before I drop an extra $80. :)

Oh, one other thing: I've got an xfx 780i motherboard, and previously (on XP) I've run my two drives in RAID0 using its raid drivers. Am I going to have any trouble installing W7 onto such an arrangement?

No to both, and if you aren't changing architectures (i.e. 32 to 64 bit) installation will be super extra easy. If you are changing architectures, it's still easy as hell because your install-time RAID drivers don't have to be a on a floppy anymore.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Awesome, thanks for spelling it out for me. Also, having said that, I just re-read the last question in the OP and am feeling a bit of :downs:

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 7, 2009

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Just to make sure I'm clear, with regard to the first question, I mean "no you don't have to buy the full version," not "no you can't use the upgrade version."

VVV: Not positive about that, but drat near certain that any valid windows install of 2000 or newer will qualify (home to home, pro to pro, home to ultimate etc. issues aside).

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 7, 2009

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, I figured that out after re-reading the OP ;)

Okay, ONE more question. My current XP installation is 100% valid. It's not warez or hacked or anything weird. HOWEVER! It is using a key that was supplied by my university, as a site-license. The key is widely used on university installations (legally). Once you put in that key, it stops doing all the BS hardware checks where if you install a new mouse it thinks it's a different computer 'n such. Is that likely to cause a problem? Thanks again for the help. I'll probably be picking up my new OS tomorrow. :)

Hipster_Doofus posted:

VVV: Not positive about that, but drat near certain that any valid windows install of 2000 or newer will qualify (home to home, pro to pro, home to ultimate etc. issues aside).
Well, the XP I have is Pro, so I don't reckon I'll have any trouble in that particular regard. Thanks again! You SH/SC guys are all awesome. This isn't the first time you folks have set me straight. :D

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Nov 7, 2009

ConfusedNudeMan
Feb 20, 2004

I'm gay for Frank Dux!
After someone mentioned it earlier I was burning the actual ISO onto the disk, not the data, so that's why it wasn't working for me. I got it working, installed and registered perfectly. My clean install went very smooth. Pretty impressed by it so far. Still getting all my programs and backups back up. Only had a few program compatibility issues (McAfee 2009 was one, odd?). Other than that, haven't come across any major issues, but we will see after a few days of tinkering and getting the rest of my stuff back up onto the OS.

Although there is an issue when I start up.

First one is after it gets done through my usual start up screens quite quickly it stops on a Windows Boot Screen with selections for Windows 7 and Windows Set Up (EMS). I have to manually press Windows 7 every time to log in (or wait 30 secs). I'm not sure what the Windows Set Up thing is, but it requires a disk and I don't think I want to gently caress with it. Any ideas? I just would like it to skip this and go to Windows 7 OS normally without stopping. Anyone deal with this?

Also, after I select that and it continues to boot the OS, I get stuck on CHKDISK. I tried letting it complete on installation, but it constantly gets stuck on 78% and finds some stuff on one of my other drives. I don't really know what CHKDISK does, but nothing is wrong with these files really. They are old chat logs and Guitar Pro files. I have to manually skip this every time upon start up as well. I have no idea what's wrong and why I can't complete a CHKDISK. Any way to disable this or does anyone have an idea of what's wrong? Maybe I'll let it run for like an hour or more and see if it finishes, but other than that I am not familiar with this.

pacheco
May 2, 2005

Always bet on Duke.
Question for you guys, is there a way to disable the 'Remember folder view settings." and enable the save view for ALL folders?

I only want name/size/type for all of them, yet each of the folders has to be manually switched. I want it all to be equal.

Also, a good way of disabling libraries? I found some registry tweaks that dont work all that well.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

pacheco posted:

Question for you guys, is there a way to disable the 'Remember folder view settings." and enable the save view for ALL folders?

I only want name/size/type for all of them, yet each of the folders has to be manually switched. I want it all to be equal.

Also, a good way of disabling libraries? I found some registry tweaks that dont work all that well.

http://xdntweaker.com/

It will force all folders to have the same view AND disable Libraries.

It truly is an amazing piece of software.

pacheco
May 2, 2005

Always bet on Duke.
hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooly poo poo, this is what I was looking for, now, is there a way to remove this?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

Xenomorph posted:

http://xdntweaker.com/

It will force all folders to have the same view AND disable Libraries.

It truly is an amazing piece of software.

Hrm... xenomorph.net/files/xdn_tweaker_setup.exe

Coincidence?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

three posted:

Coincidence?

Considering he wrote it? Not really.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Is there a way to make the various Sort by options Ascending by default? Descending is probably more useful but I'm used to Ascending.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

three posted:

Coincidence?

Goons writin' utils

or

A CONSPIRACY

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Can you purchase home premium retail as a downloadable iso and they email you the product key? I thought I read that somewhere but I'm not sure. I checked Microsoft's website and I'm only seeing the upgrade editions, not retail.

edit: I'm an idiot the full version is retail right? I have the option between upgrade and full version for download.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Nov 7, 2009

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

pacheco posted:

hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooly poo poo, this is what I was looking for, now, is there a way to remove this?

What do you want to remove? The file, edit tool bar or Organize one? To remove the file, edit toolbar press alt.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

ConfusedNudeMan posted:

I don't really know what CHKDISK does, but nothing is wrong with these files really.

CHKDSK finds and attempts to repair any errors on a volume.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
Anyone having trouble with Windows 7 and 360 Media Extender? Everything worked great with Vista.

When I went to 7, I re-setup my Media Extender on the 360. Now, if I start Media Center on the 360, I can see all of my music and videos on my PC. However, when I'm in the Dashboard or in-game and press the XBox button to try and play music, I can't connect to my computer.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

BDawg posted:

Anyone having trouble with Windows 7 and 360 Media Extender? Everything worked great with Vista.

When I went to 7, I re-setup my Media Extender on the 360. Now, if I start Media Center on the 360, I can see all of my music and videos on my PC. However, when I'm in the Dashboard or in-game and press the XBox button to try and play music, I can't connect to my computer.

Even after setting up through Media Center, the XBox is set as deny under Media Streaming Options. Changed to allowed and fixed my problem.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Just so I know what to expect when I get to the store, do the 32- and 64-bit versions come in a different box, or is it just an option at the time of installation?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Bad Munki posted:

Just so I know what to expect when I get to the store, do the 32- and 64-bit versions come in a different box, or is it just an option at the time of installation?

My box came with two discs. One for each version.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Great, thanks again, thread. :)

Mensur
Aug 1, 2007

EnGAYge!

Mensur fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 14, 2013

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

What's the goon recommended DVD Drive emulator that isn't filled with Yahoo tool bars?

VV Thank you

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 7, 2009

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

crumshot posted:

What's the goon recommended DVD Drive emulator that isn't filled with Yahoo tool bars?

Virtual Clone Drive. Anyone recommending D-Tools at this point is insane.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I just want to chime in and say that I am completely happy with the installation process. I picked up my copy this morning, and barely had time to make some french toast before it was done. This is such a huge leap from XP. With XP, I would generally expect to spend the better part of a day getting all my poo poo in order, but this time it was all done in a matter of minutes, and I didn't even have to dick around with driver hunting, in spite of the fact that I'm running a software RAID0 and using a giant TV as my monitor (I was particularly surprised when it recognized my raid for what it was, right out of the box.)

I'm a Mac person, actually, but I must say: kudos to you, MS, you seem to have finally figured a few things out. :)

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Bad Munki posted:

I'm a Mac person, actually, but I must say: kudos to you, MS, you seem to have finally figured a few things out. :)

You do realize that Macs have easier times handling drivers because Apple pretty much controls what hardware goes into a Mac, right? As opposed to the tens of thousands of possible PC parts that MS has to try to get vendors to write drivers for?

(This is NOT an invitation to get into a loving Mac/PC debate).

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
I'm having an issue with Steam. I'm getting that error where you need to turn off the Steam Community overlay in games otherwise Source games crash on startup. Considering I've never had issues with the Steam Community before I switched to 7, I really don't know what could be causing this. I really like the feature and would like it back. I'll also note that it works fine with any other games (such as when I add my non-Steam games to the list).

Is it possible that it's a video card driver issue? I've been using the default driver that 7 installs since it hasn't given me any issues and I've been wary of installing another one since this one works right out of the box.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Crackbone posted:

You do realize that Macs have easier times handling drivers because Apple pretty much controls what hardware goes into a Mac, right?

Yep. Only reason I brought it up was because I was comparing this installation process to the one I'm most familiar with, and it was on par with that. So, you see, it was a compliment. :downs:

TiltedAtWindmills
Sep 4, 2009
I'm trying to get the 64-bit version of Windows 7 from my MSDNAA account, but the download link isn't showing up anywhere. I put it in my cart and went through checkout, but it never gave me the download link. It did give me the key, but that's not very useful without the ISO. Is there some stupid thing that I am missing?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Parachute Underwear posted:

I'm having an issue with Steam. I'm getting that error where you need to turn off the Steam Community overlay in games otherwise Source games crash on startup. Considering I've never had issues with the Steam Community before I switched to 7, I really don't know what could be causing this. I really like the feature and would like it back. I'll also note that it works fine with any other games (such as when I add my non-Steam games to the list).

Is it possible that it's a video card driver issue? I've been using the default driver that 7 installs since it hasn't given me any issues and I've been wary of installing another one since this one works right out of the box.

Steam overlay should work 100% of the time with steam games. IF its crashing delete the clientregistry.blob file, failing that update your drivers or excessively, run driver sweeper to clear out all instances of your drivers and start again.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

TiltedAtWindmills posted:

I'm trying to get the 64-bit version of Windows 7 from my MSDNAA account, but the download link isn't showing up anywhere. I put it in my cart and went through checkout, but it never gave me the download link. It did give me the key, but that's not very useful without the ISO. Is there some stupid thing that I am missing?

When you log in (seriously, try logging out and back in) it'll put up a "My Software" screen. There should be download options for the things you bought (even if free).

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

incoherent posted:

Steam overlay should work 100% of the time with steam games. IF its crashing delete the clientregistry.blob file, failing that update your drivers or excessively, run driver sweeper to clear out all instances of your drivers and start again.

Now it works. :psyduck: I really don't get it. I'd look up what error message I was getting if I remembered, but it was a documented error and the Steam Help database told me that disabling the overlay would fix it. It did, but just now I re-enabled it and my Source games launch just fine.

pacheco
May 2, 2005

Always bet on Duke.

incoherent posted:

What do you want to remove? The file, edit tool bar or Organize one? To remove the file, edit toolbar press alt.

The Organize toolbar, its not useful or relevant at all for me. Neither is the file/edit but that can be autohidden in Folder Options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I just got the Ultimate 64-bit version of Windows 7, and really love it, especially the new taskbar. I have a Palm PDA, and was wondering if there was any way for it to sync with the computer as no new drivers or devices are being made or if I should just get another PDA.