Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
A Jacques Tati film, the perfect gift for any young relative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Mike_V posted:

A Jacques Tati film, the perfect gift for any young relative.

Hahaha. I watched Playtime in a film class, and the vast majority of students hated it. (this was an intro to film class though so most of them were morons anyway)

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

Egbert Souse posted:

Beauty and the Beast, The Naked Prey, Mr. Hulot's Holiday, and For All Mankind among my younger cousins.

"and for my favorite youngest niece, Beauty and the Beast!"

"YAYYYYY--this doesn't look like Belle...."

"Just wait till you watch it!"

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

"and for my favorite youngest niece, Beauty and the Beast!"

"YAYYYYY--this doesn't look like Belle...."

"Just wait till you watch it!"

"Uncle Egbert, you KNEW I wanted Berlin Alexanderplatz!" :cry:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I wouldn't be a film buff had my family not been into classics. One of my cousins liked Mon Oncle, another is into space/NASA stuff, another is taking French. It's not like I'm buying Last Year at Marienbad for a five-year-old.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Not Criterion-related, but since Hou is a hotly desired director by a lot of Criterion aficionados, it's somewhat relevant:

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.549648/aid.000095/qx/details.htm

quote:

Includes the following eight flix on 4 discs: "The Boys From Fengkuei", "A Summer At Grandpa's", "The Time To Live And The Time To Die", "Dust In The Wind", "The Puppetmaster", "Good Men, Good Women", "Goodbye South, Goodbye", and "Flowers Of Shanghai".

I've seen all of these except Boys from Fengkuei. I think Hou can be kind of boring, and he's extremely overrated by his fans IMO, but most of these are decent. I especially like Good Men, Good Women and A Summer at Grandpa's.

Chances are the quality will be crap, but for $50 it's not a bad deal.

Crown Royal
Jan 5, 2005

shoot her
I'm looking forward to buying Gomorra and I don't know why. Two of the five stories in the film weren't good, and they're pretty predictable.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Crown Royal posted:

I'm looking forward to buying Gomorra and I don't know why. Two of the five stories in the film weren't good, and they're pretty predictable.

I didn't like it at all. A Christmas Tale, on the other hand, seems like an interesting blind purchase from me.

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY
So what was everyone's problem with the Criterion Blu-ray cases? I just got my copy of The Third Man and it's like a regular DVD case, only shorter. :confused:

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Fun posted:

So what was everyone's problem with the Criterion Blu-ray cases? I just got my copy of The Third Man and it's like a regular DVD case, only shorter. :confused:

The weren't originally like that. At first they were foldable cardboard digipaks that were prone to creases, tears, and what have you. So far The Third Man is the only digipak to get the new packaging - the rest should follow suit in November.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The Digipaks would've been better if they were like any regular digipak, with a one-opening casing and a fold-out digipak inside. I really don't know why they thought the vertical openings would be a better idea. They bend, they crumple, they tear, when you pick them up sometimes the whole inner package just drops right out. It's ridiculous.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here's a thought if you want to lock in The Third Man at the $13 Barnes & Noble price but you're afraid it will be OOS by the time the sale rolls around:

Go out and buy it now. B&N has a 14-day return policy on DVD/Blu-Ray provided the product is unopened and you have the receipt. I just picked up a copy for $29.17 out the door. All I have to do is return on the 10th and get $16 back.

Rush Hour Renegade
Jul 8, 2008

Just to let everyone know, Amazon is already out of Ran. I managed to get The Third Man and Contempt from them but had to get Ran at Borders. If you are a Borders Reward member, they have a coupon for 40% off one item this weekend.

azechiel
Mar 16, 2009
I've found Criterion to be the only DVDs that I will blind buy. Did this again recently with Vampyr - and loved it.

On a completely different note, I heard some rumors a while back that Criterion would be releasing Greenaway's The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover, and was wondering if anyone in this thread had heard anything about that more recently.

On another completely unrelated note, I'm super excited for Che. I saw it in theaters and it was excellent.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Criterion have said a couple times on their Facebook page that there is no more Greenaway on the schedule.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3i4eef19a7bf70315d74c32516e314b1e9

quote:

Scorsese praised Criterion's remastering of the 1948 film classic "The Red Shoes" for upcoming release on Blu-ray Disc.

Did we know about this already?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

No, that's awesome news.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

I have a question and forgive me if it's already been asked, but did they change out the cases for the Blu-Ray release of The Man Who Fell To Earth? I've been thinking about buying a copy for the upcoming B&N sale and I'm curious as to whether or not they switched out those flimsy paper cases for the more durable plastic ones.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Criterion seems to be open to animation suggestions on their Facebook wall at the moment.

Yellow Submarine would be one of their bestselling releases, possibly. MGM doesn't seem to be in a hurry to re-release it, it needs a major upgrade, and a BluRay release would never be so apt.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Cats Don't Dance desperately needs a DVD release.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

Yellow Submarine would be one of their bestselling releases, possibly. MGM doesn't seem to be in a hurry to re-release it, it needs a major upgrade, and a BluRay release would never be so apt.

I went back to watch it again not too long ago and I agree that it's long overdue for a Blu-Ray release. I'd suggest Grave of the Fireflies but I'm not certain as to how easy it would be to get the rights for it. Furthermore, I don't know how eager I would be to watch it again. It's so depressing. :(

I don't think Aachi & Ssipak ever got a North American release, but I don't think it's exactly Criteiron material.

Then again, Michael Bay...

EDIT: Also, Felidae could use a re-release.

EDIT 2: Also, is there an uncensored version of The Plague Dogs available on DVD in North America? It's a great film, but the only copy I know in NA that's still in print is edited.

Macrame_God fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Nov 8, 2009

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Macrame_God posted:

I'd suggest Grave of the Fireflies but I'm not certain as to how easy it would be to get the rights for it.

If they get any Ghibli (and let's face it, it's extremely unlikely) I would hope for Only Yesterday. One of their best films, but for whatever reason Disney can't or won't touch it.

Goon favorite (one of mine, too) Mind Game has yet to get an R1 release.

Yellow Submarine would be aces, but I highly doubt it could happen.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

If they get any Ghibli (and let's face it, it's extremely unlikely) I would hope for Only Yesterday. One of their best films, but for whatever reason Disney can't or won't touch it.

Yeah. Disney owns the rights for most of the Studio Ghibli stuff and the folks at Criterion would have better luck pulling the Moon out of the sky with thier hands than getting the rights away from them.

Who owns the rights to Tokyo Godfathers? That would be a good choice.

Also, I just want to mention that I just saw Repulsion for the first time and it blew me away. It's hard to believe that a movie like that was made in 1965.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Does Barnes and Noble usually start their sales on a Tuesday? I forgot what date it was supposed to start until I came back and looked here, but I was hoping it would start today like almost every other retailer's advertised sales.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Macrame_God posted:

Also, I just want to mention that I just saw Repulsion for the first time and it blew me away. It's hard to believe that a movie like that was made in 1965.

Echoing this, I just watched it last night and was legitimately freaked out, which never happens. Looks absolutely gorgeous on Blu-ray, too.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RichterIX posted:

Does Barnes and Noble usually start their sales on a Tuesday? I forgot what date it was supposed to start until I came back and looked here, but I was hoping it would start today like almost every other retailer's advertised sales.

It's scheduled to start Tuesday, but last time some people reported seeing the sale prices in-store on Sunday (it was supposed to start Tuesday then too). Don't think that's happened yet today though.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!

FitFortDanga posted:

I would hope for Only Yesterday. One of their best films, but for whatever reason Disney can't or won't touch it.

I would love to see this released in R1. It's great Takahata.

(But Pom Poko is the greatest thing ever created :colbert:)

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Macrame_God posted:

Yeah. Disney owns the rights for most of the Studio Ghibli stuff and the folks at Criterion would have better luck pulling the Moon out of the sky with thier hands than getting the rights away from them.

Well, once someone suggests a Beatles-related title with a straight face, we're already dealing with infinitesimal odds, so we might as well suggest whatever.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

Well, once someone suggests a Beatles-related title with a straight face, we're already dealing with infinitesimal odds, so we might as well suggest whatever.

True.

I nominate The Little Mermaid for induction into the Criterion. :v:

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Look at all these Criterion Blu-Rays I found in the Disney® Vault!

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

Look at all these Criterion Blu-Rays I found in the Disney® Vault!

The Disney Vault. Always holding out on us with all the good poo poo. :argh:

Seriously though, if the Criterion decides to invest in animation, which they are long overdue for having done, then it'll be interesting to see which nationality they invest in first. Japan always seems like an obvious choice because they have such an enormous animation market, but it would be nice if they could get some British films like The Plague Dogs, which I know they won't get but you get the idea.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FYI, Barnes & Noble now has copies of Ran (DVD), The Third Man (DVD and Blu), Contempt, and Nights of Cabiria in stock on their website. Nights might take a while, but I eventually received Contempt last time after a few weeks.

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

They released A Hard Day's Night and Help! on laserdisc.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

Nights of Cabiria

Bought. :dance:

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was about to pull the trigger on that too until I realized I could just reserve a copy at my local store and pick it up for thirteen bucks on Tuesday.

If Criterion dips its toes into animation, it'd be awesome to see a proper HD transfer of Mind Game.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006
Come on we all know Criterion will have a film Grave of Fireflies or Plague Dogs as animation titles. Though I would also love to have Yellow Submarine on Blu.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

I can't believe we all missed the most obvious selection: The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut

STEVIE B 4EVA fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 9, 2009

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Man I sure can't think of anything I'd like more than a release of a Beatles movie.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

They released A Hard Day's Night and Help! on laserdisc.

Then they should have no problem getting Blade Runner, 2001, or Ghostbusters!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Lucas posted:

Then they should have no problem getting Blade Runner, 2001, or Ghostbusters!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasty Apology
Sep 1, 2009

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

I can't believe we all missed the most obvious selection: The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut

I'd be astonished if they put it together- I'll admit to being pretty ignorant of Criterion's record of film restoration, but there's so much footage that seems to only exist as shoddy work prints. If it outdoes the fan DVD I'd certainly buy it up quick.

...this would be my first time posting in the thread, and I guess I'm sorry to say I've really only experienced Criterion classics through Netflix. I'm on The Human Condition's second disc, and I regret horribly not buying The Third Man before it was too late.