Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

Bean posted:

When I was a kid, I had a rabbit that was fed mostly pellets (we didn't know hay was essential until the last year or two of her life) and was unfixed. She lived to eight, even though you'd figure she would have died at three knowing what we know now. When the vet put her to sleep, she said that all of her organs were very healthy aside from the cancer.

So yeah, I'm figuring that my current, hay fed, vet spoiled bunnies will probably live to their twenties or something insane.

Yeah, we weren't so great with Bowser's diet the first couple of years we had her, either. On top of that, she has attempted suicide more times than I can count- picking fights with cats, jumping off of things far too high, peeing on surge protectors, maneuvering through layers upon layers of blockades in order to sever lamp and computer cords that should have killed her... the list goes on and on. Yet here she is, indestructible.

...maybe she is a Highlander bunny after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boo This Man
Mar 25, 2008

God, I wish the wife would let me have a bunny. She hates rabbits for some strange reason. Rabbits seem to be pretty cool judging from the pictures that have been posted.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Boo This Man posted:

God, I wish the wife would let me have a bunny. She hates rabbits for some strange reason. Rabbits seem to be pretty cool judging from the pictures that have been posted.

There are a million reasons to hate rabbits as pets listed in this thread. Rabbits are definitely not for everyone. They are really really cute, but I'll stick with pictures thanks.

e: forgot a word :downs:

Kerfuffle fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Nov 10, 2009

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Kerfuffle posted:

There are million reasons to hate rabbits as pets listed in this thread. Rabbits are definitely not for everyone. They are really really cute, but I'll stick with pictures thanks.

this this this this this this this

I love my bun but god what a loving PAIN IN THE rear end

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Yeah my first reaction was "Have you actually READ any of the thread, or just looked at the photos?" Cuz there's very rarely a post in here that isn't about some immensely frustrating problem.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

bitprophet posted:

this this this this this this this

So very true. I wish sometimes that I could just babysit rabbits. You know, play with them and enjoy all the cute stuff, then give them back to "mom and dad" when they become a pain. Kind of like children.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

bitprophet posted:

goddammit. Between my two buns I'm almost out of my savings. And the room that I keep them in is generally SUPER MESSY in their corners. I spend a huge amount of money on replacing things and hearing shredding. noises at all hours. That said, they're being weird right now. Bitsy is asserting her dominance :gonk:

Boo This Man
Mar 25, 2008

Melicious posted:

Yeah my first reaction was "Have you actually READ any of the thread, or just looked at the photos?" Cuz there's very rarely a post in here that isn't about some immensely frustrating problem.

I've pretty much skimmed through the thread and saw the cute pictures of bunnies.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

I love my rabbit to bits but words cannot describe how much of a pain in the rear end they are to care for. Not recommended for any household where not everybody loves rabbits.

Find some friends who have a rabbit?

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

luscious posted:

Campus Estates Animal Hospital
(519) 837-1212

if you call them and ask for a recommendation in Hamilton they might be able to give it to you.

Thanks!

My rabbit is kinda getting the hang of the litterbox... but he enjoys peeing and pooing around it most of the time. :(

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Having both a cat and a rabbit at the moment, I'm honestly not sure that one is more of a pain in the rear end than the other. All pets are usually a big pain in the rear end, but we love them anyways (most of the time)

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

Levitate posted:

Having both a cat and a rabbit at the moment, I'm honestly not sure that one is more of a pain in the rear end than the other. All pets are usually a big pain in the rear end, but we love them anyways (most of the time)

I have three cats and a rabbit. One of the cats has FLUTD and has had more trips to the vet than I care to count. Another one of the cats is crazy, never cleans herself, and howls all day and night for no reason.

The rabbit is BY FAR, without hesitation, the biggest pain in the rear end. And I have a very well-behaved and friendly rabbit, as far as rabbits are concerned.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Ghost of Castro posted:

Thanks!

My rabbit is kinda getting the hang of the litterbox... but he enjoys peeing and pooing around it most of the time. :(

can you get a bigger one? Mine have three now... I put one where the hay is that they munch munch munch on. Yesterday the Bitsmonster was chewing hay, looked at me, lifted her tail and peed! Right beside the litterbox.

I understand your frustration.

CatholicSoulTrain
Oct 27, 2006

Melicious posted:

I have three cats and a rabbit. One of the cats has FLUTD and has had more trips to the vet than I care to count. Another one of the cats is crazy, never cleans herself, and howls all day and night for no reason.

The rabbit is BY FAR, without hesitation, the biggest pain in the rear end. And I have a very well-behaved and friendly rabbit, as far as rabbits are concerned.

We have two cats, two rabbits, and a hamster. The two cats don't get along (yet), and the two buns don't get along (yet). The cats jump on the counters, dig in everything, and the other night knocked the hamster's cage upside-down on the ground. (He lived. I don't know how.) Still, the buns are by far the most annoying.

Nothing quite like having a bun get spooked in the middle of the night while you're trying to sleep and start thumping the floor.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Maybe it's because mine has his own room that he stays in and has limited things to destroy (though he did decide to chew some holes in the duvet cover, which pissed my fiance off because it's hers), but even when I used to sleep in the same room as him it didn't bug me too much.

Dunno. He destroys poo poo sometimes, but so does the cat. He's probably better with the litterbox than the cat, doesn't smell as much, hasn't cost a ton in vet bills...the worst thing is that hay gets all over the place and I sometimes have a mild allegic reaction when I feed him hay.

Ah well, maybe we just have an annoying cat :)

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face
Why are my rabbits not pains in the rear end? I guess I have defective ones :(

Would anyone like to trade? :haw:

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Bunway Airlines posted:

Why are my rabbits not pains in the rear end? I guess I have defective ones :(

Would anyone like to trade? :haw:

Mine aren't really all that bad, but they both get moody every now and then. Debbie will spend an entire month digging and throwing everything out of BOTH her hay box and litter box. I don't know why, and I really hate it, but luckily it doesn't happen often! If you never hated vacuuming, just let me know and I'll hire you when she's at it again :p

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Debating on what sort of fuzzy pet to get for a while. I had dogs growing up. My place is big enough for a dog, but I work all day, so on the one hand I worry it may defecate in my apartment and on the other hand, it seems unfair to leave it alone.

I would have never considered rabbits, but, I saw this thread and it has really had me thinking. I could definitely manage one of the larger enclosures I’ve seen in this thread and I think I could bunny-proof my place to let them run free when I am home, my place is fairly Spartan, so there is not much at bunny-height that they could chew on, I can remove the rest. I thought 2, so they would not be stuck alone during the day.

So a few questions:

1. How smart are rabbits compared to dogs?
2. How social are rabbits, compared to dogs? I want a pet who will like me and understand my presence.
3. How long can they live?
4. Any other thoughts for a potential first time rabbit owner? I would not get them for 7 or 8 months, so I do not need to worry about setting up my place this moment.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

They're not terribly smart, but you can train them using treats to do some simple stuff. I've heard of people training them to come by calling their name using a reward method, but it's not like they have any understanding that it's their name...they just know that when you make a certain noise, you might have food and so they run up to check it out.

They're pretty curious creatures though and like to explore a lot once they get comfortable.

How social they are seems to vary quite a bit...some (a fairly small percentage) don't mind being held, some will jump up in your lap or next to you to be petted a lot, some will be more standoffish, but all of them like to be petted. I don't think mine is that social, but he likes to come sit near me and be petted.

They can live 8-12 years I'd say...

Thoughts in general are just that they aren't cats or dogs, they're fairly fragile (can't manhandle them like cats and dogs really), but they're fun to watch when they're running around and they're pretty drat cute. They like to be petted a lot and will sit there pretty much indefinitely with you petting them. They WILL chew and destroy something of yours, and it will probably be something you wish that they didn't. However, I don't see this as too much different than a cat shredding your furniture or a dog chewing on something...pets destroy stuff

At any rate, I like rabbits...but they're not as companionable as dogs or even some cats. So keep that in mind...you do get some rabbits who are super companionable and are completely comfortable with you doing whatever, but they're not common.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Levitate posted:

they're fairly fragile (can't manhandle them like cats and dogs really)

I dunno, mine get into wicked fights and then haul off, lick themselves and are fine (albeit grumpy). They also both like to leap out of my arms and splat onto the wood floor (yay no traction) and dust themselves off and wander off. And Frith has just knocked his brains stupid by binkying into the wall and he seems to be doing all right otherwise. :D

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Diogines posted:

4. Any other thoughts for a potential first time rabbit owner? I would not get them for 7 or 8 months, so I do not need to worry about setting up my place this moment.

Prepare for expensive vet bills, hay and fur everywhere, finding holes chewed into your clothing when you're already at work, and random hatred for some of your visiting friends.

They're not social like a dog or cat, you would need to learn to read the signs. Although some signs of affection are obvious like licking you and falling asleep at your feet. Most of the time it's just demanding pets and cuddles though.

If you've never had a rabbit or never knew somebody who owned one, you're probably going to find them to have surprising amounts of personality and playfulness.

Levitate posted:

They're not terribly smart, but you can train them using treats to do some simple stuff. I've heard of people training them to come by calling their name using a reward method, but it's not like they have any understanding that it's their name...they just know that when you make a certain noise, you might have food and so they run up to check it out.

My friend's rabbit will come over every time, and almost never gets treats. She just really likes attention. I suppose she doesn't quite understand it's her name but she knows it's a sound humans make when they want her to come over.

Apparently two-syllable names are best suited for this.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

I had never heard this before, rabbits have a lot of medical problems?

Would a lone rabbit be alright if it was alone during the day?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Diogines posted:

I had never heard this before, rabbits have a lot of medical problems?

Would a lone rabbit be alright if it was alone during the day?

I've only had one rabbit...it's best if you have two so they can be buddies (but it might introduce other problems like going through a torturous bonding period), but if you have one just make sure it gets social time with you when you're home. Mine sleeps most of the daylight hours, regardless of whether he's in a room by himself or out with other people/pets

edit: they can have medical problems...just make sure you feed them a good diet (unlimited hay, lots of different kinds of greens, and check to make sure the greens are OK for them. Avoid sugary things, or at least only as occasional treats, etc. Most of their problems seems to be GI related, so if you feed them real well, you'll at least cut down on the chances of those occurring. People have also suggested giving them papaya pills to help with their digestion and avoid GI stasis, which I'd never heard about until now, but it's probably worth doing.

Levitate fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 11, 2009

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

Diogines posted:

I am home, my place is fairly Spartan, so there is not much at bunny-height that they could chew on, I can remove the rest.

Really? You don't have walls or floors? Because that's what my rabbit destroyed in my old apartment. When people talk about rabbits being destructive, it's not just lamp and computer cables (though those, too)... it's carpet, wood, plaster, drywall, fabric, etc. My cats have never cost me a security deposit, but the bunny sure as hell has. Also, my cats are pretty diligent litterbox users, even though one of them has FLUTD. The rabbit routinely pisses and poops on my floor, despite her former years of being an excellent litterbox user. The cats were also easily trained to not scratch the furniture simply by giving redirecting them to a scratching post. No matter what else we gave Bowser, she'd always forgo them for a chance to pull up carpet or chew the corners of my walls.

Levitate posted:

I disagree. Bowser seems to be quite a bit smarter than at least one of my cats, though in fairness that cat is pretty retarded. But Bowser absolutely knows her name and comes running when I call her- food has almost never been used for this. She does not come when I call any of my three cats.

Actually, she knows quite a few words and is smart enough to know that she can only get away with certain stuff when I have walked out of the room or fallen asleep on the couch. Bastard.

It's very difficult to compare rabbits to dogs, though. As Levitate said, some are very friendly and social, others want nothing to do with you.

I'd also like to point out that their fur is ungodly. It's beautiful and soft and fluffy, and then they shed it and it gets EVERYWHERE. It's so downy that it blows around and sticks to everything, and most vacuum cleaners have trouble with it.

I've said it many, many times before in this thread: I don't regret getting Bowser, and I love her very much. But I don't want to get one again, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, especially if what they really want is a cat or a dog.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

The thing is they very very quickly get gastrointestinal problems and also they love eating things that aren't edible. So while vet bills aren't a sure thing it certainly would be a good idea to set some money aside just in case. And you'll want to find a vet who specializes in exotic pets who specifically knows about rabbits. As you can see a page back as posted by Saucy Robot, it can and will go wrong if you get a generic vet. And for some reason people in the US pay nearly ten times as much for a vet as I pay in the Netherlands.

A lone rabbit's fine as long as you let him run around and give him a lot of attention when you're home. They sleep most of the day anyway.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Haha, oh yes, the fur. They majorly shed like every three months I believe it is, but generally only two of those are really noticeable. But goddamn, those times produce a ton of fur and can take weeks for it all to come out (I've heard this depends on the rabbit).

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Not a great pic but look at how hairy this rabbit is. When he sheds I can easily build a new rabbit out of the mountain of fur I vacuum up.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face
Ever been around horses? That's the best analogy I have for them. They're completely different from cats or dogs because they're prey animals. Mine have been really good, you just have to figure out what they like to chew and remove it. Mine come when called and like to cook with me in the kitchen. They're very, very sweet animals if you put a lot of time into them but if you go even one day ignoring them they can go all feral on you.

Portia is way more destructive than Ender, Ender stopped doing anything naughty around age 2.5. We don't know how old Portia is but I think she's a bit younger because she still destroys things although it's getting better. If you decide to investigate this more, I would do two things: Go down to your local shelter or house rabbit chapter and just spend some time with the buns to see what they're like. Then pick up "House Rabbit Handbook: How to Live with an Urban Rabbit" by Marinell Harriman. It's a very quick read and will fill you in on a lot of details.

I've never had vet bills with my two but I'm anal about their diet and keep a very close eye on them. As with all animals, prevention is the best medicine.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

I've been around horses, they were nice.

I am not daunted by shedding and my place really is rabbit proof with a few changes, tile floors, nothing they could possibly chew on besides the metal base of some shelves. I will go get that book and also see if I can find a local house rabbit chapter, I suspect there may be one nearby.

From what i've read in this thread, it sounds to me like people who give their rabbits poor diets, get sick rabbits, but it does not seem like they are more prone to being sick than dogs, they just have a more specialized diet, accurate assessment?

Diogines fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 17, 2016

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Kind of...when rabbits get sick, it can be life threatening, because they don't necessarily show signs of sickness until it's serious, and then that requires emergency vet bills, etc.

I also think rabbit owners sometimes go a little overboard when it comes to warning people about getting a rabbit, but a lot of that comes from all the people who go buy a rabbit, thinking it's like a cat, and then end up dumping the bunny in the woods because they don't want to take care of it. So, just make sure you're ready to be in it for the long haul if you want to get a bunny. They're cool pets, especially if you can rabbit proof things and have a free range bunny

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

Diogines posted:

I've been around horses, they were nice.

I am not daunted by shedding and my place really is rabbit proof with a few changes, tile floors, concrete walls with no baseboards and nothing they could possibly chew on besides the metal base of some shelves. I will go get that book and also see if I can find a local house rabbit chapter, I suspect there may be one nearby.

From what i've read in this thread, it sounds to me like people who give their rabbits poor diets, get sick rabbits, but it does not seem like they are more prone to being sick than dogs, they just have a more specialized diet, accurate assessment?

Well honestly then, that sounds like a pretty ideal environment for a rabbit. And it is true, the bunnies do mellow with age- Bowser rarely chews on anything she isn't supposed to anymore, though she does still occasionally steal books from the shelves and goes to town.

You're certainly right about diet being a major issue. Other deadly serious things can go wrong with rabbits that you might not have any control over- E. cunniculi, fly strike, etc, but really the same could be said for any animal. You just have to REALLY pay extremely close attention to your rabbit's behavior and react very quickly if their routine seems a bit off. Or their poop. That's really key.

House Rabbit Society would be a great place to go, though really any shelter that might have rabbits would be more than happy to see you. Rabbits are abandoned at an alarming rate- last year I found two in a plastic bag that someone had dumped on a neighbor's front lawn. I'd also say that if you can adopt an older bunny, go for it. They're much more mellow when they get past their younger, destructive years. Bowser was always pretty cuddly, but these days she's an absolute snugglemonster.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Melicious posted:

I've said it many, many times before in this thread: I don't regret getting Bitsy and Paterson, and I love them very much. But I don't want to get one again, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, especially if what they really want is a cat or a dog.

names have been changed to fit my life.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

I was once an owner who got one at a county fair not knowing poo poo about rabbits, other than the lies told to us by the lady selling them, so please let me add in some other bits of wisdom and facts on rabbits.

1) Rabbits have personalities, each one different. I've always grown up with cats as pets and while they can be similar in that their personalities are apparent, they aren't going to be the same because they are in fact prey animals.

2) Rabbits take awhile to get used to you, and to their surroundings. Some rabbits may only take a month, some take a year or more, and it depends on their age and personality.

3) For a healthy rabbit, you need to be prepared to buy lots of varied greens, lots of which can't be found at normal grocery stores. Take a look around when shopping and see if you can find Endive, Kale, Dandelion Greens, etc. If you want to keep your rabbit as healthy as possible, then these things are essential.

4) When rabbits get sick, they get sick fast. You need to spend a lot of time with your rabbit so you can say "You know what, it's not acting right, something is wrong." A rabbit has only a few HOURS after getting GI stasis before they're dead, and it takes a lot of care and experience with the rabbit to know when things are wrong.

5) Going off number 4, you're going to do things that seems retarded. One day you will be all "Hmmm he's not eating as much as normal, better keep an eye on him" to "Hmm, his poop isn't the same size or consistency as normal, better keep an eye on that" to "Huh, why is my rabbit honking and OH GOD RAPING MY FOREARM OW OW OW TIME TO GET SPAYED!"

6) If you don't have a vet SPECIALIZING in rabbits within 30-45 minutes, don't get a rabbit. Seriously, even emergency rooms for animals near CHICAGO are sparse, with the closest an hour and a half away. A big part of a rabbit being healthy is a good vet that specializes in rabbits and other small exotic animals. Yes, a rabbit is an exotic animal.

7) Be prepared to have poo poo chewed on, destroyed, and peed on. Be ready to clean their cage every day or every other day, and to vaccuum your house a lot. Be prepared to buy super powerful vaccum cleaners to suck up the hay, and then dismantle the vaccum cleaner once a week to pick out said hay clogging the tubes.

8) Have extra money. Don't plan on getting a security deposit back, plan on dropping $75 each time they get sick (which hopefully isn't often but it can be if they are dumb, as most are), and $300 or so for spay/neuter. They are not cheap animals. So far I have lost, in a year and a half:
3 Headphones [$60]
1 ethernet cable [$20]
1 Xbox 360 (chewed through the entire powerpack cord on an older model) [$400]
1 lamp cord (and thus the lamp) [$60]
1 comcast cable router cord [$30]
1 dirt devil power pack cord (and thus a new hand vac) [$70]

9) Seriously consider two buns if you are away for a long time during the day. We got our second rabbit to keep the first company because for 8 hours of the day no one is home. It is a BITCH bonding rabbits, I won't lie, but in the end it really is rewarding to see how much happier they are in the end.

10) They will need a suitable and healthy living space, which not only will take up a good portion of whatever room they are in, but set you back anywhere from $100-$300 dollars. Also expect hay, poop, dried up greens, and water spills in said room even if they are litter trained. In some respects, rabbits can be litter trained but never 100% all the time I don't think.

11) You can't just leave them be for 2-3 days while on vacation or away for a weekend like you can with cats. Bunnies need to eat about twice a day, have unlimited hay be refreshed, and their pens cleaned, plus someone to make sure they don't get random GI stasis or get hurt. Good luck finding anywhere that boards bunnies for vacation either, so I hope you have friends who also want to take care of bunnies and don't do poo poo on the weekends out of town.

12) For all of this poo poo, if you can get past all this, and have patience, bunnies are nice pets. Here's a counter list of the nice things to expect:

1) Coming home to a rabbit who cowers behind the couch, while the other one runs up and headbutts you in the foot because she wants to be pet.

2) Playing xbox on the floor and having two bunnies come over out of curiosity, and either cuddle next to you or start climbing on you demanding attention and pets.

3) Lying on the floor trying to read a book, when a bunny comes up to you and starts licking your arm or nose grooming you (this means they like you and you are an honorary bunny).

4) Seeing them hopping straight up and sprinting to end in wild hops of joy, because you've given them a safe and enjoyable place to live.

5) Seeing them flop down (if you haven't seen how not graceful these things are when they relax, check youtube) and just pass out in your presence.

I would never trade my buns away now that I have them. For all the things that they are pains in the asses for, they are very cute and lovable creatures.

Fenarisk fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 11, 2009

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Fenarisk posted:

5) Seeing them flop down (if you haven't seen how not graceful these things are when they relax, check youtube) and just pass out in your presence.

Words cannot explain how "AAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW" it is when bunnies just go 'hmmm, comfy place... *splotdown*'

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005

angelicism posted:

Words cannot explain how "AAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW" it is when bunnies just go 'hmmm, comfy place... *splotdown*'

Bowser used to be quite the flopper, but once we moved to a place with all hardwood floors, she stopped. Could have something to do with age, too, I suppose, but I wish I got to see more bunny belly :(

She never binkies anymore, either, but I doubt she could get the traction if she wanted to anyway.

justFaye
Mar 27, 2009
Anybody have an idea of how to exercise the buns? Eowyn runs around quite a bit, although she is younger. Godewyn used to when he was less than a year old, but now that he's 3.5, he would rather sit. I'm not sure how to encourage him to exercise.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

justFaye posted:

Anybody have an idea of how to exercise the buns? Eowyn runs around quite a bit, although she is younger. Godewyn used to when he was less than a year old, but now that he's 3.5, he would rather sit. I'm not sure how to encourage him to exercise.

the vet told me to kind of chase Paterson around... like, go behind him and shuffle him around until he's moved a bunch. I also built them a ramp in their cage.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

there is a rabbit at the Humane Society that I am interested in.

even earlier on this page I said that I wouldn't want another rabbit and maybe I should just say no but I want to at least get it out there to other rabbit owners.

quote:

Hello, my name is Sarge. I am a 4 and a half year old male Holland Lop. I came to the shelter in May because my previous guardians had a baby and no longer had time for me. I have been quite sad at the shelter since I'm used to family life, and now I'm looking for a forever home that will never stop loving me. At the moment, I'm a little grumpy, but as soon as I find myself surrounded by love, I know my true personality will shine again. If you think you could give a cute old guy like me a second chance in life, please come and visit me at the shelter. I don't like it here!

ahhhh! He's so cute, too! I guess that it doesn't make sense because I doubt I can bond three. I might go and fill out an application to see if I can foster him, though.

:(

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

luscious posted:

there is a rabbit at the Humane Society that I am interested in.

even earlier on this page I said that I wouldn't want another rabbit and maybe I should just say no but I want to at least get it out there to other rabbit owners.

ahhhh! He's so cute, too! I guess that it doesn't make sense because I doubt I can bond three. I might go and fill out an application to see if I can foster him, though.

:(

You can bond three but from what I've been told it's difficult. Fostering would probably work out, especially since it sounds like this guy just needs some love. A lot of rabbits do not thrive in a shelter setting and people end up thinking they're mean. Once Ender and Portia pass away I'd like to get a group of 5 or so :3:

Also, you guys should head down to the purebread cats thread. Melicious and I have already shown proof of superior loafness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megalodon
Dec 10, 2007

BITCH, I'D RATHER KEEP MY PTSD THAN HAVE YOUR BITCH ASS TRY TO HELP

DUNSON'D
I haven't posted much about my buns lately, but they've been doing awesome. I've kind of hit a wall with bonding, though.

Bear and Gil (two neutered males) have progressed a ton. They still have separate enclosures with a gate in between that they can interact through. Snuggling is no longer a scary process, as long as I'm there and petting them. They don't mind sitting next to each other at all, and Gil no longer reacts to Bear wiggling around. Before, he would attack at the slightest movement. They're even able to hop around a bit, and if I hold one while giving the other some freedom, the loose one will usually ignore the other and give the occasional friendly sniff.

Unfortunately, this is as far as I can get. Bear seems to be hitting his adolescent pain in the rear end phase, and as a result has become a bit more dominant. Gil doesn't seem to mind this very much, but for the first time today, Bear instigated by taking a nip. It seems that when one tries to groom the other by nibbling, it's instantly viewed as a threat and they'll begin fighting. I want to let them groom each other but it ends up with biting. Fortunately, Bear has never managed to really grab Gil, and because Bear is a lionhead, Gil only ever gets fur. I don't know what to do next, though.

I've considered letting them roam free together with a huge pile of veggies and a spray bottle to break up any fights, but I worry that I'd be moving too fast. They're fine together until one actually shows interest in the other. It seems to be positive interest, too, which is very frustrating. I just want my boys to be happy and not have to worry about them hurting each other. :(