Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
I see shades of 'voyage to the moon' and 'salome'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
New video is incredible, probably the most interesting music video i've ever seen.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
I think that Lady GaGa's music is in many ways like modern art movements..is attempting to shock audiences as well as achieve new concepts of 'what is art' or in Gaga's case 'what is celebrity? what is fame? what makes an icon'

I know it isn't important to pick apart every reference that GaGa uses in her work, but it is interesting to see where certain images are repeated. I've put together a few comparisons of Lady Gaga screen shots from her Paparazzi video and compared them to photographers Cindy Sherman and Lara Jade...as well as scenes from some of the old school bat man movies. :)

p.s sorry for flooding the page with pictures

And credit where credit is due..
http://www.larajade.co.uk/
http://www.cindysherman.com/
http://www.ladygaga.com/

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Those are good interesting finds; it looks to be a common motif. I mentioned Melanie Pullen's High Fashion Crime Scenes earlier, and there's also a strong resemblance to some of Helmut Newton's work in play.

This was a really good analysis of Paparazzi that I referenced, especially since it's not like I can identify D&G on sight or anything

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

you shouldnt doubt yourself
you know more about goats than you give yourself credit for
That wasn't a music video, that was an experience.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
Never thought I'd see someone be able to pull off Bitch Goggles.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Lady Gaga's latest video is amazing and the song details her decent into a twisted form of fame as she is fighting the forces of what her image and the media and people want it to be. A bad romance with fame? Oh Gaga.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACm9yECwSso

In seriousness, I've started thinking she's the poo poo. The new video is pretty awesome.

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I LOVE this hairdo. :neckbeard:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
More than anything the Paparazzi video and now Bad Romance's video have really opened my mind on her stuff a bit. I dont think she's a pop messiah or anything but I look forward to her putting out some neat music, and who knows, she may go nuts and Bjork out on us with tons of awesome music down the line once she gets more grounded and confident in the music.

Definitely the vogue-ey-est dancer we've seen on the charts in a minute, too.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

that video is awesome

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

As fascinating as that video was, I feel that a video about the making of that video would be even more interesting to watch.

appleskates
Feb 21, 2008

Find your freedom in the music.
Find your Jesus, find your Kubrick.

Jonny 290 posted:

Bjork out on us

This is so awesome. I really like Bad Romance, and I thought the way she played it on SNL (slow on the piano) was really lovely. She's like a freaky futuristic 1960's pop singer.

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus
In the video, Gaga was wearing a Steve McQueen dress (the shimmery one with the anteater lookin' shoes) - does she usually wear other designers stuff? Who does her wardrobe?

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Banannah posted:

I guess that makes 3 of us then?

Her video premieres tomorrow, best birthday present ever. I have a slight obsession with Gaga.
4 of actually~

Bad Romance was loving insane.

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

NicelyNice posted:

In the video, Gaga was wearing a Steve McQueen dress (the shimmery one with the anteater lookin' shoes) - does she usually wear other designers stuff? Who does her wardrobe?

I know the suit of armour dress thing she wears during the mugshots in the paparazzi video is from Dolche & Gabana's spring 07 collection.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

NicelyNice posted:

Read this, it was linked earlier but not described well: http://superqueen.wordpress.com/2009/06/12/were-plastic-but-we-still-have-fun-lady-gagas-paparazzi-video-by-j-akerlund/

She apparently wears a ton of designer stuff but I'm a jeans and tshirt giant gay instead of the designer type.

ArmoredBlue
Jul 1, 2007

Furthering the gay Mexican agenda.
When I saw the 30-second clip, I thought that this was going to be really intense and something to behold, but little did I know that they managed to find the most boring 30-second section of the video, and that's saying a lot. While she does have a lot of musical ability and a great voice, I think her decision to write purely pop hits allowed her to do really crazy things like this video. I cannot wait to see where she decides to take her career after this, because this is definitely a big change.

NicelyNice posted:

I'd say a large portion of what she wore after Poker Face blew up is designer made, though some of her really out-there stuff (like the orbit dress for example) is made by her small fashion team called the Haus of Gaga.

ArmoredBlue fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Nov 11, 2009

jazz babies
Mar 7, 2007

I love her new video SO MUCH.

And the shoes she has on at 3:06? They look like Giger-inspired stripper shoes. :swoon:

The Hidden Sherpa
Dec 25, 2006

I feel like I've been hypnotized by her act. I don't listen to pop music at all, but this girl's work is phenomenal. Why is every aspect of her act so good? I have read this entire thread, listened to all her songs, seen all her videos, joined her fan site, and I still don't understand why I like it so much. Am I really that gay?

The Bad Romance video takes this all to a whole different level. I was very surprised when she went with the curly hair for that one shot. Was that the first time we've seen anything besides a braid tower or huge straight hair? I was also glad to see that she has somewhat gotten better at dancing since Paparazzi. She is getting closer to keeping up with the back-up dancers now.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

ArmoredBlue posted:

I'd say a large portion of what she wore after Poker Face became blew up is designer made, though some of her really out-there stuff (like the orbit dress for example) is made by her small fashion team called the Haus of Gaga.
Lady Gaga on the Haus of Gaga:

Lady Gaga posted:

I called all my coolest art friends and we sat in a room and I said that I wanted to make my face light up. Or that I wanted to make my cane light up. Or that I wanted to make a pair of dope sunglasses. Or that I want to make video glasses, or whatever it was that I wanted to do. It’s a whole amazing creative process that’s completely separate from the label.

Lady Gaga posted:

They're my best friends. I'm not really sure what the world thinks ... but I do hear things like, 'Who is the Haus of Gaga?' and, 'Are you putting out a fashion line?' And no one gets it. It's not a commodity. It's not something that's meant to be sold... It's a real bond and relationship, and that's what I think music and art is about... they are my heart and soul. They believe in me, and they look at me like a mother and daughter and sister, with pride and love.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

The Hidden Sherpa posted:

I feel like I've been hypnotized by her act. I don't listen to pop music at all, but this girl's work is phenomenal. Why is every aspect of her act so good? I have read this entire thread, listened to all her songs, seen all her videos, joined her fan site, and I still don't understand why I like it so much. Am I really that gay?

The Bad Romance video takes this all to a whole different level. I was very surprised when she went with the curly hair for that one shot. Was that the first time we've seen anything besides a braid tower or huge straight hair? I was also glad to see that she has somewhat gotten better at dancing since Paparazzi. She is getting closer to keeping up with the back-up dancers now.
She had curly hair for her MTV Paparazzi performance.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The Hidden Sherpa posted:

This is how I started, and eventually I just gave up and decided that I must be gay to consider paying $100 for a lock of her hair

PDX Pirate
Oct 19, 2009

7lip posted:

I LOVE this hairdo. :neckbeard:

Her eyes in that part really creep me out.

But I'm also very obsessed with Lady Gaga. I got her beats just for my girlfriend to listen to.. But then it just caught me. Now I think I listen to Lady Gaga even more then she does.

God Hates Figs
Sep 19, 2002

It's a bucket and mop. I'll mop the floor with you, mop! Ha ha ha...
That's probably the greatest pop music video I've ever seen, I've watched it like ten times since it came out. It's perfect, except I can't help but laugh at the Wii nunchuck in the 'auction' scene. That bear coat is so badass though it makes up for it.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
When I saw her while working "Ellen" last year (and her flashing the producers during dress rehearsal due to a wardrobe accident they ended up fixing), I had no idea who she was. I never thought a year later I'd be so in love with this girl. Seriously, the weirder she gets, the more I fall for her.

Just the new video alone is proof that she's either some kind of maniacal genius or the world's greatest troll. Razor-blade sunglasses? Check. Bear-coat? Check. Chilling next to a scorched skeleton? Check. I'm really having trouble finding ways she isn't awesome.

Whoever mentioned Bjork pretty much has it spot-on. The sooner we see her in a swan-dress at the Grammy awards, the better. We'll have hit full-blown avant garde.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I think Gaga's already crossed that bridge; Bjork at least showed her face.

If we're sharing "When we first learned about Gaga," I remember the guy that recommended her to me also recommended The Secret in the same breath, and I was like, "You've got to be loving kidding me."

I have no intention of reading The Secret, but he was pretty spot-on about the other thing

Edit: Also this seems to be the artistic equivalent of the Justice League:

quote:

Now Vezzoli is in L.A., pulling further favors from the famous while putting on a new hat as the creative orchestrator of Saturday night's 30th anniversary gala for the Museum of Contemporary Art. The centerpiece will be a live, five-minute production number called "Ballets Russes Italian Style (The Shortest Musical You Will Never See Again)," in which Lady Gaga will debut her new ballad, "Speechless."

She'll play a Steinway grand piano painted in spin-art style by Damien Hirst. Her hat was designed by architect Frank Gehry, and she and Vezzoli, who also has a part, will don masks created by filmmaker Baz Luhrmann and his production designer wife, Catherine Martin. For company, Gaga will have a dozen dancers from the Bolshoi Ballet, who will be wearing costumes created by Vezzoli and Miuccia Prada, head of the famous fashion house.

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Nov 11, 2009

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus
Ahh cool, that's interesting to know. The extent of my knowledge about mainstream fashion is the Arts page from the New York Times, but it's cool to see her take some of the more out there stuff from some of these collections and integrate them into her work. Fashion is a high art, and to the people dismissing her image and style as secondary to "the music," this adds a lot of credibility to the Gaga side of the argument.

Also, I don't know why I said Steve McQueen, when I meant Alexander McQueen, who are pretty much polar opposites of each other.

vs.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

NicelyNice posted:

I'm currently watching The Man Who Fell To Earth while reading this and I swear it's like I'm seeing double.

Amethyst Citrine
Oct 2, 2009

angerbotSD posted:

Read this, it was linked earlier but not described well: http://superqueen.wordpress.com/2009/06/12/were-plastic-but-we-still-have-fun-lady-gagas-paparazzi-video-by-j-akerlund/

She apparently wears a ton of designer stuff but I'm a jeans and tshirt giant gay instead of the designer type.

Oh goodness I need MORE of these critical observations! I feel like I must soak up every detail of Gaga.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

quote:

During this time, she began writing for artists signed to Akon's Konvict label, as well as Fergie, the Pussycat Dolls, Britney Spears, and New Kids on the Block.[6] After hearing her sing a reference vocal for one of his tracks, Akon formed the opinion that she was also a good singer

Reading Wikipedia, this just gave me a lot more respect for her. Even though the artists are lovely, how many pop stars start off actually writing songs and is signed for being a good singer?

Daryl Fucking Hall
Feb 27, 2007

Daryl ohhhhhhhh Daryl

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

Reading Wikipedia, this just gave me a lot more respect for her. Even though the artists are lovely, how many pop stars start off actually writing songs and is signed for being a good singer?

Most of them, probably? Gaga's not even a fantastic singer, though I do like her voice.

edit: Writing songs professionally, probably not very many. But for the most part, pop stars are musicians, not just models picked out of a lineup for being attractive.

Daryl Fucking Hall fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 11, 2009

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

NicelyNice posted:

Also, I don't know why I said Steve McQueen, when I meant Alexander McQueen, who are pretty much polar opposites of each other.

If I remember correctly, Bad Romance was debuted during an Alexander McQueen fashion show.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

DARYL loving HALL posted:

But for the most part, pop stars are musicians, not just models picked out of a lineup for being attractive.
I can hear the sound of 1000 goons' condescending delusions about pop music shattering

Amethyst Citrine
Oct 2, 2009

DARYL loving HALL posted:

Most of them, probably? Gaga's not even a fantastic singer, though I do like her voice.

edit: Writing songs professionally, probably not very many. But for the most part, pop stars are musicians, not just models picked out of a lineup for being attractive.

Now now, doesn't that depend on which pop industry (originating country) we're talking about?

I thought that was the gist of the signing process in places like Japan. Cute face, one hit wonder, move on to the next act.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Amethyst Citrine posted:

Now now, doesn't that depend on which pop industry (originating country) we're talking about?

I thought that was the gist of the signing process in places like Japan. Cute face, one hit wonder, move on to the next act.
That wouldn't explain why Japan has so many huge pop-acts that last for decades, though.

Roulette
Sep 17, 2006
I have no idea how the gently caress it happened, or when for that matter, but all of a sudden I love Lady Gaga. I heard LoveGame back in the summer while visiting my sister who has a very different musical taste from me, and well, that song has been stuck in my head for months now.

I think her latest video (Bad Romance) is what really did it. I can't get enough of that drat song/video.

There needs to be some kind of Lady Gaga vaccine.

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face
I am so unbelievably obsessed with her. She is so fascinating. I've had some early release version of The Fame since before anything besides Just Dance had come out, and while I thought the songs were great, each subsequent video that's been released made me like the songs even more. Her performance art spectacle makes her music more than just pop. I think she's going to be the next Madonna, for real.

What I love about her in particular is that the show doesn't end. She's not crazy in the videos and normal in real life. In fact, I love that she will debut a style in public, like the red crown ensemble at the VMAs, and then it's in her next video and it turns out it was a heads up toward the style she will be veering toward in her next CD. AMAZING.

Also I can't get over the new video it is so loving amazing my GOD. I have watched it like 6 times at least.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Lady Gaga is clearly the ultimate weapon in the Gay Agenda's arsenal.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

angerbotSD posted:

Lady Gaga is clearly the ultimate weapon in the Gay Agenda's arsenal.

Seriously. But she's winning me over to enjoy her experience.

EDIT: Even if she's a troll, she's having a blast with everything.

EDIT 2: I want Gaga-chat. :(

Gatts fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Nov 12, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Despite the CM Punk avatar above me, I'm probably the only person on Earth who bought tickets to a wrestling show and a Gaga concert on the same day.

• Locked thread