Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No. 1 Space Babe
Jun 16, 2006

i feel good about liverpool fc

doctor thodt posted:

It's an in-store-only coupon good for $5 off any DVD/Blu-Ray. It drops the price of any title with an SRP of $30 down to $8.50, and any title with an SRP of $40 down to $13.

Good deal, thank you! Do you just keep going in and out of the store and buying one dvd at a time or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Space Cooter posted:

Good deal, thank you! Do you just keep going in and out of the store and buying one dvd at a time or what?

Depends on how friendly your local employees are. When I ask politely they usually let me use it 2 or 3 times. I picked up El Norte and In the Realm of the Senses for $13 each about an hour ago. 2 titles I had no real desire to own, but this sale makes me do strange and terrible things.

No. 1 Space Babe
Jun 16, 2006

The last time this sale came around I ended up spending $350 :sweatdrop:

I hope I do not go overboard like that again this time...

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

doctor thodt posted:

Depends on how friendly your local employees are. When I ask politely they usually let me use it 2 or 3 times. I picked up El Norte and In the Realm of the Senses for $13 each about an hour ago. 2 titles I had no real desire to own, but this sale makes me do strange and terrible things.

Have you seen El Norte? Have I mentioned that I love El Norte? Have I mentioned it at least 100 times?

In the Realm of the Senses was a bad move, though. I dunno, maybe you'll like it.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've seen El Norte, as well as your many posts about it. I thought it was a wonderful, deeply moving film, I just don't know that I'd ever want to see it again. And yeah I didn't like ItRotS either (I feel like an idiot for typing out that acronym) but the prices were just beckoning to me :sigh:

At least rest assured that no matter how cheap Ben Button gets, it'll never have a place on my shelf.

No. 1 Space Babe
Jun 16, 2006

I don't care much for In the Realm of the Senses, but Empire of Passion is wonderful and I highly recommend it.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

FitFortDanga posted:

In the Realm of the Senses was a bad move, though. I dunno, maybe you'll like it.

I wouldn't call it a bad movie. I thought it was a very interesting picture to study and pick apart. I don't know if I could ever bring myself to watch it again (maybe with the commentary on) but I think it's worth watching at least once and with an open mind.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Macrame_God posted:

I wouldn't call it a bad movie. I thought it was a very interesting picture to study and pick apart. I don't know if I could ever bring myself to watch it again (maybe with the commentary on) but I think it's worth watching at least once and with an open mind.
I don't think much of it, and I generally like Oshima. I'd absolutely love it if Criterion released some of his earlier ATG films.

As for `overlooked' Criterions, one of the first that comes to mind is Jeux Interdits/Forbidden Games (1952). Or at least I don't see it mentioned or discussed much these days; it sometimes shows up on `best film' lists (just about anything on Criterion will).

Is Bresson `overlooked'? I know there was a bit of buzz around when Criterion released Au Hasard Balthazar (1966), but how about Journal d'un Curé de Campagne/Diary of a Country Priest (1951)?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Macrame_God posted:

Well, note I didn't say "bad movie", I said "bad move"... as in "not worth buying". It's worth seeing as it has a certain amount of influence and importance, but I imagine very few people watch it more than once.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

Well, note I didn't say "bad movie", I said "bad move"... as in "not worth buying". It's worth seeing as it has a certain amount of influence and importance, but I imagine very few people watch it more than once.

Oh. I thought that was a typo. :sweatdrop:

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Gah. Have any of you been able to find the Complete Monterey Pop set on blu-ray? It doesn't look like it's on their website and I couldn't find it in store either. That's one I'd debating grabbing (if I can find it).

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It's here, but it looks like the Blus aren't part of the sale.

APatheticPoster
Oct 10, 2007

Only Wings of Desire seems to be. Kind of a shame, but there you go.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
doctor thodt just mentioned how he got multiple non-WoD titles, including Complete Monterey on Blu-Ray so I don't know what you guys are talking about

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Any coupons out yet for non members?

BeardMilk
Apr 22, 2004

Captain Charisma posted:

doctor thodt just mentioned how he got multiple non-WoD titles, including Complete Monterey on Blu-Ray so I don't know what you guys are talking about

The only bluray I can get at 50% on the website is Wings of Desire, he got his at the B&M store.

GonzoIsKing
Sep 26, 2004
I love these sales.

Anyways I ordered:
The Human Condition
Pigs, Pimps, Prostitutes
Nikkatsu Noir
Vampyr

I'm thinking about getting a few more. I'm considering Wages of Fear as a blind buy. My criterions consist mostly of Japanese films. But I do have some Bergman,Lang,Melville,Truffaut and Dreyer and am looking to broaden my horizons a bit. The only heavily represented criterion director I don't like is Godard. Is Wages of Fear a good pick for me?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sookie posted:

The only bluray I can get at 50% on the website is Wings of Desire, he got his at the B&M store.

You should buy B&M anyway, it's cheaper ;)

GonzoIsKing posted:

Is Wages of Fear a good pick for me?

To this day, The Wages of Fear is still about the most suspenseful movie I have ever seen. For a 56 year old film to leave that kind of impression is pretty impressive, I think. Definitely give it a look-see.

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 11, 2009

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
damnit, doublepost

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It says they are supposed to be on the B&N TV/Movies front page, but it is clearly not the case so I don't know what's going on.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Really? I just got back from my local B&N and I got Last Year in Marienbad, The Man Who Fell to Earth and Pierrot Le Fou all on BRD for half off.

GonzoIsKing posted:

I'm thinking about getting a few more. I'm considering Wages of Fear as a blind buy. My criterions consist mostly of Japanese films. But I do have some Bergman,Lang,Melville,Truffaut and Dreyer and am looking to broaden my horizons a bit. The only heavily represented criterion director I don't like is Godard. Is Wages of Fear a good pick for me?

Get it.

I love Wages of Fear. It's one of my all time favorites. You owe it to yourself to see it. Also, The Human Condition was a good choice too. :)

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Mr. Fun posted:

It says they are supposed to be on the B&N TV/Movies front page, but it is clearly not the case so I don't know what's going on.

Last time around it took awhile for the online Blu prices to change.

flying afro
May 21, 2003

FitFortDanga posted:

An Angel at My Table and I Fidanzati are two of my favorite "overlooked" Criterions.

Criminal Minded posted:

I was gonna mention I Fidanzati too. I love that movie. I really need to get around to seeing more Olmi, I have The Tree of Wooden Clogs sitting around. May as well use this opportunity to pimp The Leopard even more. That one hitting blu-ray will force me to make the switch to HD if I still haven't by that point.

Thanks for the suggestions! I ended up settling on I Fidanzati

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Somebody got to Barnes and Noble early today and their entire Blu-ray section is completely wiped out. Luckily, the woman working offered to special order some of them, so I'm getting The Seventh Seal, Last Year at Marienbad, and Repulsion. I'm pretty damned excited.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

George Washington, Naked Lunch, And Burden of Dreams here I come.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RichterIX posted:

Somebody got to Barnes and Noble early today and their entire Blu-ray section is completely wiped out. Luckily, the woman working offered to special order some of them, so I'm getting The Seventh Seal, Last Year at Marienbad, and Repulsion. I'm pretty damned excited.

Haha. I've been reading that some people were able to use the $5 coupons 8/9/10 times per visit - I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of those dudes. Now I kind of feel guilty about turning the entire internet on to that deal.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For some reason, B&N.com is listing the Contempt and Ran Blu-Ray imports under the Criterion sale page. They're not marked 50% off yet, but then again most of the Blu-Rays aren't. When they update the website prices, keep an eye on those two titles - might be able to snag them for a really decent price.

http://video.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.asp?FRM=2&CAT=1009783&cds2Pid=31880&linkid=1496426

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

doctor thodt posted:

Haha. I've been reading that some people were able to use the $5 coupons 8/9/10 times per visit - I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of those dudes. Now I kind of feel guilty about turning the entire internet on to that deal.

It doesn't bother me too much, since I am still able to get them for the sale price when they come in.

I always underestimate the number of hoarders/people who can get to stores earlier than me whenever there's a sale like this. This isn't the first time that I hosed myself over by not buying something ahead of time and then getting it pricematched.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

B&N.com doesn't not have George Washington :(

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Went in store tonight and picked up The Third Man and For All Mankind bd's, along with Hoop Dreams. Total was right around $37.

Tomorrow morning I'm going to try and find the Complete Monterey Pop set at the only store that in town that seems to have it in stock. Thanks Magic Hate Ball for finding it on the web, I couldn't find it at all.

After that I'm going for Gomorrah and possibly Wings of Desire and that should be it, because I will be broke.

Also, I made friends with the csr that was working; he told me they're doing this sale again in the spring and are likely turning it into a twice-a-year sale.

BarryMantlesnorks
Nov 14, 2005
I'm going tomorrow, hoping to pick up Complete Monterey Pop, Ran, Kicking and Screaming and Rushmore.

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."

zeroordie posted:

Also, I made friends with the csr that was working; he told me they're doing this sale again in the spring and are likely turning it into a twice-a-year sale.

Now that is a welcome piece of information. I feel ok only buying the Nikkatsu Noir set this time around.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I have never heard of or seen this movie, but I am SO buying this shirt:
http://www.criterion.com/shop_products/69

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

This could mean either by Brakhage on Blu-Ray, by Brakhage 2 on Blu-Ray, or both.

vvv edit: you know Ran is OOP, right?

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 11, 2009

BarryMantlesnorks
Nov 14, 2005
Went to Barnes & Noble today and picked up Kicking and Screaming, Days of Heaven, Bottle Rocket, and Short Cuts for $77 even. Not too bad. I stood with the Complete Monterey Pop Festival, Seven Samurai, and Ran in my hand for at least 30 minutes in addition to the four I got before my rationality kicked me in the rear end. Someone snatched Ran up as soon as I set it down too.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Egbert Souse posted:

I have never heard of or seen this movie, but I am SO buying this shirt:
http://www.criterion.com/shop_products/69

Dude, Hausu is the epitome of :psyboom:.

EDIT: My attempt to explain it:

quote:

There is no possible way that a conventional review of Hausu would do it any justice. The best thing I can tell you is to go watch this clip (:nws: for all sorts of insanity), and then understand this: you would think that seeing that clip in context, and with subtitles, might make it make a little more sense. Sure, it would still be weird, but less so. Here's the miraculous, bizarre thing about Hausu: having seen the film, that clip makes less sense than before. I know that that statement defies all logic, but so does basically everything else about Hausu. Ostensibly a tale about a haunted house, Hausu takes seven Japanese schoolgirls identified only by their primary (and only) characteristics (from "Kung-Fu" to "Gorgeous") and turns them loose in a film that feels as though someone gave Evil Dead 2-era Sam Raimi acid and told him to film what he saw. Even telling you that the film features dancing skeletons, man-eating pianos, disembodied legs, a laughing watermelon, and a singing cat really can't convey how truly bizarre this all is. And none of that has even touched on the filming style, containing irises, dropped frames, and other moves used with no conceivable sense of purpose or reason. Look: I know that, being the film geek among my friends, a lot of people think I watch "weird" movies. So take that into account when you read the following sentence: Hausu is easily the weirdest loving thing I've ever seen in my life. Rating it on a conventional scale would be pointless; suffice to say, it's the type of film made for midnight films, and if it comes around you, you owe it to yourself to check it out.

ClydeUmney fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 11, 2009

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

ClydeUmney posted:

go watch this clip

I've read a lot of praise for Hausu, but this is the first I've seen any of it. loving sold. I'm gonna see this as soon as I can.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

FitFortDanga posted:

I've read a lot of praise for Hausu, but this is the first I've seen any of it. loving sold. I'm gonna see this as soon as I can.

I can't wait to see your thoughts on it. It's completely insane, and I loved every second of it.

EDIT: Janus has some theatrical dates posted:

quote:

Note: House will continue to tour through 2010, and new dates are added as they are confirmed. To inquire about a booking, or suggest a venue, contact booking@janusfilms.com.

October 28
Boulder, CO - International Film Series

October 29
Calgary, AB - The Plaza Theatre

October 29 - October 31
San Rafael, CA - Smith Rafael Film Center

October 31
Brooklyn, NY - BAMcinématek

November 18
Cleveland, OH - Cleveland Museum of Art

November 27 - December 3
Seattle, WA - Central Cinema

December 12
Rochester, NY - George Eastman House

December 18 & 19
Denver, CO - Denver Film Society

ClydeUmney fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 11, 2009

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

ClydeUmney posted:

Dude, Hausu is the epitome of :psyboom:.

Five minutes ago, I had never heard of this movie. Now I want to see it more than anything. It's like the Crank of Japanese horror. :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Been abusing the 60% + $5 so bad for the last 2 days...

So far I've grabbed:

- The 400 Blows [BR] $13~
- Brazil [3 disc] $23~
- Drunken Angel $13~
- Homicide $13~ (Any opinions on this? The clerk seemed to think I should have gotten House of Cards instead)
- Ikiru $13~
- In the Mood for Love $13~
- Late Spring $13~
- Samurai Rebellion $9~
- Sanjuro/Yojimbo $28~
- Seven Samurai $18~
- Silent Ozu [Eclipse Series 10] $15~
- Stray Dog $13

and I plan on picking up these along the way:

- An Autumn Afternoon
- Bicycle Thieves
- Down by Law (my B&N had a copy, but the disc was loose inside the case... yuck.)
- Rashomon
- Stranger than Paradise

I'd really like opinions on these if anyone has seen them:

- Kill! (Based on the same source as Sanjuro?! It has to be good, right? Right?)
- Made in U.S.A. (Criterion says it's Goddard's answer to The Big Sleep... I adore The Big Sleep, but I've not enjoyed much of Goddard's other work. Do I dare tempt fate on this?!)
- Nikkatsu Noir (How does this compare to American noir, i.e. The Big Sleep or The Third Man)
- The Wages of Fear (What is it most comparable to? Is it exciting and easy to get into?)

I was almost definitely going to buy Kicking and Screaming as a blind purchase, but as luck would have it, it was available to stream on NetFlix. Maybe I just don't get the humor, but I wanted to punch all of those characters in the face... and not in an entertaining sort of way.