Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Why were the UK tour dates lovely? >: (

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

eminkey2003 posted:

Anybody here like Tower of Rome? I'm thinking of buying "All is Lost..."

Great album.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

ShoogaSlim posted:

DL apparently got his girl knocked up which is why he wasn't on the tour. I thought Acacia was great as always. Nothing particularly better about this tour than others, but not any worse.

I might have just been too exhausted for ABR when they came on, but they lack that punch they have on the albums. Plus each breakdown has the exact same sound with the China cymbal constantly going and the stop-go riffs. It's a cool sound but they take it too far.

Someone told me the Strain are touring with two guitars now, is that accurate? They hired two temporary dudes in DL's absence? I hope they keep two once DL's back... most of their songs just don't work live because of the single guitar (versus crazy layering on the albums). poo poo I wouldn't be opposed to going back to three if they find the right people, because they sounded loving unreal live during the 3750 era.

Mazel Tov
Jul 27, 2004

*~Hebrew Honeyz~*

Wamsutta posted:

Someone told me the Strain are touring with two guitars now, is that accurate? They hired two temporary dudes in DL's absence? I hope they keep two once DL's back... most of their songs just don't work live because of the single guitar (versus crazy layering on the albums). poo poo I wouldn't be opposed to going back to three if they find the right people, because they sounded loving unreal live during the 3750 era.

3 guitars is pointless. DL pulls it off very well by himself, all he needs is some kind of sampler for the leads that are on the cd. Pretty funny when he's heavier than Whitechapel's 3 guitarists.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Mazel Tov posted:

3 guitars is pointless. DL pulls it off very well by himself, all he needs is some kind of sampler for the leads that are on the cd. Pretty funny when he's heavier than Whitechapel's 3 guitarists.

Yeah I agree, 3 is by no means necessary. I've seen the Strain more with just DL than I did with 2 or 3 guitars. You're right that it's mainly the leads that feel missing. I can't imagine seeing the band without DL there. He's half of the stage presence just by himself. The man is a beast.

Whitechapel are awful but I will say this, they play very tight and clean live. I saw them open for Trivium. I didn't enjoy their music in the slightest, but the guys know what they're doing. It's a shame they don't use their powers for good.

Mazel Tov
Jul 27, 2004

*~Hebrew Honeyz~*

Wamsutta posted:

Yeah I agree, 3 is by no means necessary. I've seen the Strain more with just DL than I did with 2 or 3 guitars. You're right that it's mainly the leads that feel missing. I can't imagine seeing the band without DL there. He's half of the stage presence just by himself. The man is a beast.

Whitechapel are awful but I will say this, they play very tight and clean live. I saw them open for Trivium. I didn't enjoy their music in the slightest, but the guys know what they're doing. It's a shame they don't use their powers for good.

Whitechapel are very tight and clean, but then again they aren't really playing anything technical and just bob up and down their entire set. I've played a few shows with them and they're all really nice guys, like you said its a shame they aren't using their powers for good.

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

eminkey2003 posted:

Anybody here like Tower of Rome? I'm thinking of buying "All is Lost..."

Your money won't be put to waste, let's just say that.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

I've never felt like anything was missing from Acacia's set live as opposed to their albums. I guess I just don't have the ear to notice the differences/absences but it never took away from my experience. I agree that DL is a big part of thelive performance as well, the stage seemed kind of empty without him up there. And I'm pretty sure there was only one guitarist up there to replace him. Can't be totally sure though.

when Whitechapel first debuted some rough demo material on MySpace years ago, I had friends who were into them and I thought they sounded like poo poo. Then they got signed and their first full length was actually pretty good. I dug the heaviness and song structures for the most part. Then I wound up at Saints n Sinners in NJ and when they came on I was completely bored to tears enough that I walked away and watched The Number 12 on the main stage for a while. Who by the way used to be pretty awesome but have also declined in quality recently. To me Whitechapel and Emmure have the same kind of twangy drop tuned guitar sounds going, only WC are going for the deathcore thing and Emmure is trying to revive nu-metal.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Yeeeeeessss... Every Time I Die are finally coming back to Denmark, and they are bringing Maylene and the Sons of Disaster. That's gonna be one hell of a show.

private message
Aug 22, 2004
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]
I listen to mostly black metal these days, but goddamn Deadwater Drowning's self-titled is still loving awesome. The breakdowns are still pretty brutal (especially the one at the end of My Fist, Your Face) and Nate's vocals are really good.

private message fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Nov 7, 2009

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

ShoogaSlim posted:

Truly, there is only a limited amount of music that I enjoy and only a few bands I really respect out there for making consistently good music. I understand BTBAM's progression, but I dislike the shape that their music has taken recently.

As for there being a "real" hardcore thread. I understand the distinction between real hardcore and what is mostly considered metalcore. The most old school band I listen to is All Out War and even they are a metal hardcore fusion band. I like bands like Converge and Trap Them, but TT apparently consider themselves "death punk" or whatever. I admit I don't even really like "real hardcore" that consists of bands like Gorilla Biscuits, Agnostic Front, etc. To me that stuff is more punk with angrier vocals than anything else.

I can imagine most people in this thread have no idea what bands I just namedropped

This post is from like a week ago, but seriously what the hell are you still doing in my thread you pretentious bastard. :mad:

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

private message posted:

I listen to mostly black metal these days, but goddamn Deadwater Drowning's self-titled is still loving awesome. The breakdowns are still pretty brutal (especially the one at the end of My Fist, Your Face) and Nate's vocals are really good.

Agreed. Nate Johnson has sick vocals and I've followed him bouncing around bands from DWD to Premonitions of War to TTOTD, etc. Luckily I was able to see DWD after they broke up when they did a reunion show in Binghamton, NY a few years back. It was an amazing experience. 7A7P headlined and I seriously cried at the end of their set I was so uplifted. It was like sealing the deal on an era of music that I always admired but never got to experience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHI4K7uoDdI

There's the first song by DWD at that show. At 2:13 you can see me jumping on stage for the mic. I was the first one up and I still feel proud of that even if it's a little amateurish but I'm a fanboy, I don't care :colbert: And at 4:50 Nate hands me the mic to sing the end. :hellyeah:

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Eight Is Legend posted:

Yeeeeeessss... Every Time I Die are finally coming back to Denmark, and they are bringing Maylene and the Sons of Disaster. That's gonna be one hell of a show.

Lucky. I would love to see those two bands together.

private message
Aug 22, 2004
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

ShoogaSlim posted:

7A7P headlined and I seriously cried at the end of their set I was so uplifted. It was like sealing the deal on an era of music that I always admired but never got to experience.

Holy poo poo, I'm so jealous. I probably would've cried too haha. 7 Angels 7 Plagues and Deadwater Drowning are by far my favorite bands in that scene. I'm disappointed with everything that Misery Signals has put it out...there was so much potential considering the ex-7a7p members but it didn't really work out. I think I recognize the black guy who's singing into the mic as you. He seems to be a ton of shows here in NY -_-

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

private message posted:

drat, picked up their EP and it was brutal as hell. Is that intro Shooga posted anywhere on it? I've only listened through the EP like once and don't recall it being there.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

private message: I've actually been really pleasantly surprised with everything MS has been putting out. I think they've gotten better and better with each release. It's still nowhere near the level of excellence and majesty that was 7a7p but I still like it. You may have missed it but I posted in this thread that a band a few of my friends were in had the 7a7p guitarist as well. Don't know how they loving managed that but they wound up disbanding due to not being able to find a bassist. loving sucks. http://www.myspace.com/royaltyinexilenyc

I also recognize that black dude, I forgot his name but I see him all over the place.

Traitorous Leopard: That intro is indeed awesome but they don't have it down on recording at all. There is another song they had recorded after the EP called Slap Her rear end and Ride the Wave In. It's pretty awesome and it sucks they never recorded anything more.

e: I'm also violently in love with Mazel Tov's band Open Fire! You guys need to play NYC

Wickacha
Jul 31, 2004
this is where it's at
Circle of Contempt has their first full length album coming out in like two weeks. If you're into a Born of Osiris type vibe, these guys are sick. Definitely worth checking out for some sweet breakdowns. https://www.myspace.com/circleofcontempt

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

So, a guilty pleasure of mine is browsing the selection of "breakdown vids" on youtube looking for maybe some good songs. If you're familiar with this scene :smug:, I must ask, is it just me, or are all of the new videos complete and utter poo poo? gently caress this thread for making me not be able to enjoy simple breakdowns anymore :suicide:

quote:

Circle of Contempt has their first full length album coming out in like two weeks. If you're into a Born of Osiris type vibe, these guys are sick. Definitely worth checking out for some sweet breakdowns. http://www.myspace.com/circleofcontempt

Holy poo poo, I click play on Color Lines and BOO is the absolute first thing that comes to mind. Seems like a Strain/Emmure situation where you have someone who plays very similarly but still does it well enough to be enjoyable.

Traitorous Leopard fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 10, 2009

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

ShoogaSlim posted:

7A7P

Woah, thanks for that. That's like Poison the Well but without any gay parts. Got any other bands of that kind?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

My dude, you've never heard of 7A7P? You poor soul. My all-time favorite band is from the same era of music. endthisday It's not their official myspace but it has their songs. It's very melodic metalcore and doesn't really have many traditional breakdowns but I loving love it. They also broke up in 02, around the same time as 7A7P.

Another band with similar style, also broken up: I Am Divide

A lot of the members of 7A7P formed Misery Signals, you might like them.

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 10, 2009

secondhand dog
Sep 10, 2009

Cock Soup posted:

Woah, thanks for that. That's like Poison the Well but without any gay parts. Got any other bands of that kind?

You've basically seen one of the better sides of metalcore.

I think in the immediate future you should try out Skycamefalling, Krakatoa, and older Botch (but really, all of Botch should be checked out by any fan of hardcore in general) for similar stuff.

^ ^ ^ Forgot to mention Misery Signals, though they're definitely different from 7A7P.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
I really wish 7A7P would get back together because they're top loving notch

Business Raptor
Jun 3, 2009

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Holy poo poo, I click play on Color Lines and BOO is the absolute first thing that comes to mind. Seems like a Strain/Emmure situation where you have someone who plays very similarly but still does it well enough to be enjoyable.

I hear exactly what you mean. These tech metalcore bands are usually a dime a dozen, but this one seems to do it well - even while sounding very similar to Born of Osiris at times. It's not every day I hear a band I don't hate.

edit: a NEW band I don't hate.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

I was talking about After the Burial earlier in the thread, and I mentioned my liking their first CD better than the second, but that changed earlier this week... holy moley I guess I just didn't listen to it enough, but the whole CD is an improvement over the last one. Aspiration, in particular, is an amazing song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn8cyGRgyns

Aaaand here's a live video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqDd3DsBfL8&feature=video_response

You guys weren't kidding when you said they don't put on a good show. They play well live, but the singer is pretty much the only one moving around and poo poo :smith:

Traitorous Leopard fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 12, 2009

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
Wow they have even worse stage presence than BTBAM

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

I would be so pissed at a show like that. People bouncing up and down and sort of half-flailing trying to actually dance. And when I step in and show them the business they get all pissed off like "yo bro you just hit my girlfriend WTF?!"

Go back home, little kid.

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

ShoogaSlim posted:

endthisday
Another band with similar style, also broken up: I Am Divide

ManifoldCuriosity posted:

I think in the immediate future you should try out Skycamefalling, Krakatoa, and older Botch (but really, all of Botch should be checked out by any fan of hardcore in general) for similar stuff.

Good god, these guys all sound great but great hell is it hard to legally (or even illegally) find their stuff.

As for Misery Signals, I really don't dig them all that much. I can see how they can be the progression of 7a7p, but it really lacks the emotional intensity that it had. Also, a great point about 7a7p was the fact that they could make some very very melodic parts without them being necessarily gay, Misery Signals fails at that. (At least on the last album, do they do the same on earlier ones?)

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

ShoogaSlim posted:

I would be so pissed at a show like that. People bouncing up and down and sort of half-flailing trying to actually dance. And when I step in and show them the business they get all pissed off like "yo bro you just hit my girlfriend WTF?!"

Go back home, little kid.

oh you're a windmiller?

edit: actually you're right. there isn't any sort of moshing or anything. coupled with the band, looks like the most boring show ever.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

The music's good, though, right guys? :smith:

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

The music's good, though, right guys? :smith:
Yeah, After the Burial is pretty solid. It's too bad they got a new singer though, I like the old one much better.

quote:

As for Misery Signals, I really don't dig them all that much. I can see how they can be the progression of 7a7p,
If nobody brought this up, I would have never have figured this out. Misery Signals is pretty bad. I saw them open for Protest the Hero earlier this year and while they have good energy and everything I just couldn't get into the music.

7a7p is sick though.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Ok, so you guys seem to have a massive hardon for 7a7p (7 angels 7 plagues, I assume). Where do I start with them?

Think
Sep 20, 2005

Ok, so you guys seem to have a massive hardon for 7a7p (7 angels 7 plagues, I assume). Where do I start with them?

It begins and ends with Jhazmyne's Lullaby.

m3talh3ad
Jan 28, 2005
Lamb of God / Darkest Hour show last night in DC was very awesome. Except for the loving wheelchair guy, again. 3 for loving 3 for having to huddle around a guy in a wheelchair in the pit during Lamb of God to make sure he doesn't get crushed into oblivion. Its getting pretty god drat old.

Does anyone here like This or the Apocalypse? Or Periphery? They opened up the show, and while I'd never heard any of them, they sounded pretty good. Any thoughts on their poo poo?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Faux Shoah posted:

It begins and ends with Jhazmyne's Lullaby.

The last song is so amazing. It almost makes it appropriate that they broke up after having that be the last thing they recorded. From start to finish, a real absolute masterpiece.

Traitorous, get the cd anyway you can, and also read the lyrics. Old fashioned, awesome, heartfelt metalcore through and through. I'm gonna listen right now.

e: you can also check out Until the Day Breathes and the Shadows Flee, which is the first album, but most of the songs were re-done (better) on Jhazmyne's Lullaby with a better singer. It would make for an interesting listen to see how they've progressed musically from one album to another.

I wish I still had a VCR because I have the tape called Hugs and Chugs which was a recording of a live show with endthisday and 7A7P back in Milwaukee in like 2001 or so. Quality is pretty poo poo but it was the only way I ever got to see etd "live". If they did a reunion anywhere in the world, I'd be there.

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 13, 2009

Spiral
Dec 20, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

f they did a reunion anywhere in the world, I'd be there.
Didn't they already do this like 4 years ago?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Spiral posted:

Didn't they already do this like 4 years ago?

You're talking about 7A7P? I already explained in this thread earlier that I did go to that. I'm talking about endthisday.

Spiral
Dec 20, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

You're talking about 7A7P? I already explained in this thread earlier that I did go to that. I'm talking about endthisday.
I apparently can't read or write. My bad.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

improvement over the last one. Aspiration, in particular, is an amazing song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn8cyGRgyns

That song is, admittedly.... brutal.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

m3talh3ad posted:

Lamb of God / Darkest Hour show last night in DC was very awesome. Except for the loving wheelchair guy, again. 3 for loving 3 for having to huddle around a guy in a wheelchair in the pit during Lamb of God to make sure he doesn't get crushed into oblivion. Its getting pretty god drat old.

Does anyone here like This or the Apocalypse? Or Periphery? They opened up the show, and while I'd never heard any of them, they sounded pretty good. Any thoughts on their poo poo?

How is wheelchair guy your problem? If you didn't go to the show with him and you don't know him, don't waste your time making sure his stupid no-judgment having rear end doesn't get hurt.

Also I am jealous of that show, LoG and DH own. Although I believe I am seeing Lamb open up for Metallica tomorrow night in MSG. That makes me happy. :)

What did DH play? I saw them with Trivium back in September and it was something like...

Demon(s)
A Paradox With Flies
Convalescence
Blessed Infection

And one or two others, they went on first :( Darkest Hour playing before White Chapel makes me sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

m3talh3ad posted:

Next time you see the wheelchair guy you should try to tip him over or something.

as for This or the Apocalypse I think they're awesome. They kinda sound like August Burns Red meets Misery Signals or something. Their album is really good and has a lot of creative stuff going on.