Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

zenintrude posted:

- The Wages of Fear (What is it most comparable to? Is it exciting and easy to get into?)

I loved Wages of Fear. It immediately became one of my favorites after having seen it. It's hard to compare it to anything because, as far as white knuckle suspense films go, it's the king. Honestly, I can't recommend it enough. You should definitely get it if you have the chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Space Babe
Jun 16, 2006

i feel good about liverpool fc

zenintrude posted:

- Nikkatsu Noir (How does this compare to American noir, i.e. The Big Sleep or The Third Man)

I haven't seen all of them (will pick up the box set when I go to Barnes + Noble, probably tomorrow), but I enjoy Japanese crime movies from this period and I would describe them like... an American noir set in Japan with the "hey this is cool" dial turned up... like, they are the Japanese people's interpretation of what American movies are like. Does that make sense? I don't really know how to describe it. Maybe watch the trailers for them on Criterion's website and see what you think.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

This could mean either by Brakhage on Blu-Ray, by Brakhage 2 on Blu-Ray, or both.

This would be awesome news, either way. I lost my copy of By Brakahage somehow, and was almost buying it again at the Barnes and Noble sale.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

zenintrude posted:

- Homicide $13~ (Any opinions on this? The clerk seemed to think I should have gotten House of Cards instead)

It's okay, but I agree with the clerk. House of Games is better.

zenintrude posted:

I'd really like opinions on these if anyone has seen them:

- Kill! (Based on the same source as Sanjuro?! It has to be good, right? Right?)
- Made in U.S.A. (Criterion says it's Goddard's answer to The Big Sleep... I adore The Big Sleep, but I've not enjoyed much of Goddard's other work. Do I dare tempt fate on this?!)
- Nikkatsu Noir (How does this compare to American noir, i.e. The Big Sleep or The Third Man)
- The Wages of Fear (What is it most comparable to? Is it exciting and easy to get into?)

I actually enjoy Kill! more than Sanjuro. In Kurosawa's, you really only care about Sanjuro and the other characters feel like dead weight. Here, the supporting cast is loaded with entertaining and sympathetic characters who have stories of their own. It's a wickedly delightful movie that celebrates chambara conventions while also having some fun with them. The stylish compositions rival Kurosawa's, and the wild score seems to borrow from Morricone (adding another layer to the western-samurai-western circle of influence). The biggest problem is that the plot is terribly confusing, and it takes a mighty long time to sort out who's who and what their motivations are. But this shouldn't be a problem if you've seen Sanjuro.

Made in U.S.A. is only comparable to The Big Sleep in the most basic sense. Don't do it if you don't like Godard.

I've only seen one of the Nikkatsu Noir films so far, I Am Waiting.

The Wages of Fear is really great, but I wouldn't necessarily say it's easy to get into because the first 30-40 minutes are pretty slow. But once you get past that, it's dynamite (ho ho!).

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

The devourer of worlds demands a Moon Pie to satiate his hunger!

Egbert Souse posted:

I have never heard of or seen this movie, but I am SO buying this shirt:
http://www.criterion.com/shop_products/69

That shirt was actually based on a poster created specifically for a midnight showing of Hausu at The Belcourt in Nashville. It wound up in the hands of the director and Janus thought it was so rad that they're now using it as the official poster for the entire limited run. I thought that was cool. Also, it was designed by Ben Folds' drummer.

There was a big post about it on The Auteurs a few days ago: http://www.theauteurs.com/notebook/posts/1219

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
Okay, Juliet of the Spirits or Nights of Cabiria?

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Sheldrake posted:

Okay, Juliet of the Spirits or Nights of Cabiria?

I'd say Nights of Cabiria, but that's just because it's out of print.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Nights is an amazing film, it's OOP, and the cost is :20bux:

edit: After watching the Hausu/House clips, I have to see this movie.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 12, 2009

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006
Went today and bought Brazil. For Uncle Monkey or any other NH goons the Barnes and Noble in Manchester had a few copies of The Third Man on blu in case you want before it disappears.

SneakySneaks fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Nov 12, 2009

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

IndieRockLance posted:

That shirt was actually based on a poster created specifically for a midnight showing of Hausu at The Belcourt in Nashville. It wound up in the hands of the director and Janus thought it was so rad that they're now using it as the official poster for the entire limited run. I thought that was cool. Also, it was designed by Ben Folds' drummer.

There was a big post about it on The Auteurs a few days ago: http://www.theauteurs.com/notebook/posts/1219

When/if this movie comes out on Blu-Ray, I hope this is the cover design they choose. drat is that nice.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

What coupons are everyone using?

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

zenintrude posted:

(How does this compare to American noir, i.e.The Third Man)

Also, lol

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

The Lucas posted:

Also, lol

Yes yes... I realized when I wrote it that TTM is a British production. I suppose I meant "in the style of..."

BeardMilk
Apr 22, 2004
Any news on when the rest of the replacement cases are going to be available? I dug around a bit but couldn't seem to find anything aside from an older post saying November.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

When does this sale end? Is it still gonna be running when The Golden Age of Television drops at the end of the month?

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

penismightier posted:

When does this sale end? Is it still gonna be running when The Golden Age of Television drops at the end of the month?

It ends the 23rd.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Golden Age of TV comes out the 24th. Ohhh those sneaky fucks.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

penismightier posted:

Golden Age of TV comes out the 24th. Ohhh those sneaky fucks.

Can't you pre-order it?

Also, I got sent two copies of Contempt and was charged for both. I'm curious as to whether I should send the other back and get a refund or if I should hold on to it and sell it later down the line when it becomes harder to find, especially since it's in mint condition.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is awesome for some of the more expensive items:

Enjoy.

edit:

Rialto Collection $50.62 after member discount/coupon
The Human Condition $27
Cassevetes set $42.18
Essential Arthouse 1-4 $33.74 each

you get the idea

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 13, 2009

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

doctor thodt posted:

This is awesome for some of the more expensive items:

Enjoy.

edit:

Rialto Collection $50.62 after member discount/coupon
The Human Condition $27
Cassevetes set $42.18
Essential Arthouse 1-4 $33.74 each

you get the idea

Sweet. I've been looking forward to getting Berlin Alexanderplatz. Looks like this will be my ticket. :dance:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Ugh, Criterion's Facebook wall is becoming a shitheap. 90% of the posts are people requesting stupid poo poo or asking questions that were answered already. Combined with the absurdly awful "fake covers" thread on The Auteurs, I'm surprised they even answer anything anymore.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.

Egbert Souse posted:

Ugh, Criterion's Facebook wall is becoming a shitheap. 90% of the posts are people requesting stupid poo poo or asking questions that were answered already. Combined with the absurdly awful "fake covers" thread on The Auteurs, I'm surprised they even answer anything anymore.

I really doubt they would rather all those dumb questions clog up email space.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I definitely think Criterion should release Miller's Crossing, or even Fargo. It's not like there are hundreds and hundreds of other films that have never had a US DVD/BR release, right? Come on, Criterion! Release more popular things!

edit: lol:

Ben Testa posted:

According to Variety the the post 1986 MGM catalogue will be sold. Along with most of the post 1952 UA catalogue. Hopefully, Criterion will be buyers.

Criterion posted:

Shoot. We spent our last 1.5 billion on cab fare!

Lucian Everest posted:

Does taking the time to answer all of our Facebook questions in any way slow down your production schedule?

Criterion posted:

Yes, but we only have a staff of 18 working on Facebook. The other three are still making DVDs and Blu-rays.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Nov 13, 2009

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Or the other end of the spectrum... the really obscure stuff that Criterion has to magically follow using only the title. For the few times I've recommended titles, I included information on rights (who owns it), who's in it, links, and even what exists as possible supplementary material. T

But I do feel that titles not on DVD at all have priority (or more so, those not ever on VHS or laserdisc). Then movies that are on DVD, but had incredibly lovely treatment (like My Dinner with Andre) and long-OOP titles. Then films with decent a/v, but short on extras (Bicycle Thieves). BluRay at least allows for an excuse on titles that didn't really need SEs like Wings of Desire and Paris, Texas.

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!
Alright, I caved and got all the Samuel Fuller Criterions for $87 total. I'm taking a class on him now, and I'm in love with his work after only 3 films, so I think it will be worthwhile investment.

Edit: This Joshua Goldberg fellow on the Criterion Facebook is one hell of an annoying troll.

Joshua Goldberg posted:

I never watch films more than once. Even my favorite films are ones I've only seen once.

Joshua Goldberg posted:

Oh, PLEASE don't release "Fargo". If I have to hear ONE more word about how "great" that piece of crap is, I think I'm gonna lose it.

Joshua Goldberg posted:

Answer me, Criterion! :(

Yeesh, is this what I'm missing at the Criterion Forums?

Friedpundit fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Nov 13, 2009

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

ECLIPSE SERIES 20: GEORGE BERNARD SHAW ON FILM

Collector's set includes:
Major Barbara
Gabriel Pascal, 1941
Wendy Hiller plays one of George Bernard Shaw’s most memorable, controversial characters, Barbara Underschaft, a Salvation Army officer who speaks out against the hypocrisy she believes exists in her Christian charity organization.

Caesar and Cleopatra
Gabriel Pascal, 1945
Vivien Leigh and Claude Rains pop off the screen in vivid Technicolor in Gabriel Pascal’s adaptation of Shaw’s 1901 play about love and politics in ancient Rome and Egypt.

Androcles and the Lion
Chester Erskine, 1952
George Bernard Shaw’s breezy, delightful dramatization of the classic fable—about a Christian captive saved from death at the Colosseum because of his kind act of pulling a thorn from a lion’s paw—was written as a meditation on modern Christian values.

My take: Looks like fun. My knowledge of Shaw is limited to Pygmalion, but I enjoy that one. I like Wendy Hiller and Claude Rains, too.

#502: REVANCHE (also Blu-Ray)

•New, restored high-definition digital transfer, approved by director Götz Spielmann (with DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
•New video interview with Spielmann
•The Making of “Revanche,” a half-hour documentary shot on the film’s set
•Foreign Land, Spielmann’s award-winning student short film, with an introduction by the director
•U.S. theatrical trailer
•New and improved English subtitle translation
•PLUS: An essay by critic Michael Wood

My take: Very good film. Probably wouldn't buy it, but might rent it to check out the extras.

#503: LOLA MONTES (also Blu-Ray)

•New, restored high-definition digital transfer (with uncompressed stereo soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
•Audio commentary featuring Max Ophuls scholar Susan White
•“Max Ophuls ou le plaisir de tourner,” a 1965 episode of the French television program Cinéastes de notre temps, featuring interviews with many of Ophuls’s collaborators
•Max by Marcel, a new documentary by Marcel Ophuls about his father and the making of Lola Montès
•Silent footage of actress Martine Carol demonstrating the various glamorous hairstyles in Lola Montès
•Theatrical rerelease trailer from Rialto Pictures
•New and improved English subtitle translation
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Gary Giddins film info

My take: this is a highly-anticipated title, but for me, it's my least favorite Ophuls. It's not terrible, I just found it hard to get into and kind of dull at times. Pass.

#504: HUNGER (also Blu-Ray)

•New, restored high-definition digital transfer, approved by director Steve McQueen (with DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
•Video interviews with McQueen and actor Michael Fassbender
•A short documentary on the making of Hunger, including interviews with McQueen, Fassbender, actors Liam Cunningham, Stuart Graham, and Brian Milligan, writer Enda Walsh, and producer Robin Gutch
•“The Provo’s Last Card?” a 1981 episode of the BBC program Panorama, about the causes and effects of the IRA hunger strikes at the Maze prison and the political and civilian reactions across Northern Ireland
•Theatrical trailer
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Chris Darke

My take: don't really know anything about it, but I've heard good things. Rental

#505: MAKE WAY FOR TOMORROW

•New, restored high-definition digital transfer
•Tomorrow, Yesterday, and Today, a new video interview featuring filmmaker Peter Bogdanovich discussing the career of Leo McCarey and his thoughts on Make Way for Tomorrow
•New video interview with critic Gary Giddins in which he talks about McCarey’s artistry and the political and social context of the film
•PLUS: A booklet featuring new essays by critic Tag Gallagher and filmmaker Bertrand Tavernier, as well as an excerpt from film scholar Robin Wood’s 1998 piece “Leo McCarey and ‘Family Values’”

My take: Terrific movie, might buy this one. Diggin' the "New Yorker"-style cover.

Nice to see they're stepping up the Blu releases... too bad MWFT doesn't get one, though.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 13, 2009

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
edit: crap ^^

February 16

quote:

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer, approved by director Götz Spielmann (with DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
* New video interview with Spielmann
* The Making of “Revanche,” a half-hour documentary shot on the film’s set
* Foreign Land, Spielmann’s award-winning student short film, with an introduction by the director
* U.S. theatrical trailer
* New and improved English subtitle translation
* PLUS: An essay by critic Michael Wood

quote:

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer (with uncompressed stereo soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
* Audio commentary featuring Max Ophuls scholar Susan White
* “Max Ophuls ou le plaisir de tourner,” a 1965 episode of the French television program Cinéastes de notre temps, featuring interviews with many of Ophuls’s collaborators
* Max by Marcel, a new documentary by Marcel Ophuls about his father and the making of Lola Montès
* Silent footage of actress Martine Carol demonstrating the various glamorous hairstyles in Lola Montès
* Theatrical rerelease trailer from Rialto Pictures
* New and improved English subtitle translation
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Gary Giddins film info

quote:

DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer, approved by director Steve McQueen (with DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
* Video interviews with McQueen and actor Michael Fassbender
* A short documentary on the making of Hunger, including interviews with McQueen, Fassbender, actors Liam Cunningham, Stuart Graham, and Brian Milligan, writer Enda Walsh, and producer Robin Gutch
* “The Provo’s Last Card?” a 1981 episode of the BBC program Panorama, about the causes and effects of the IRA hunger strikes at the Maze prison and the political and civilian reactions across Northern Ireland
* Theatrical trailer
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Chris Darke

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

That Hunger cover is fantastic. Gonna have to pull the trigger on it. I don't know anything about Make Way for Tomorrow or Revanche but both of those covers are really interesting.

Also for the record I was at the first screening of Hunger at Cannes 08 so y'all can suck a diiiiiiiick.

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."
The Make Way For Tomorrow cover is almost surely the work of the cartoonist Seth. He is great and the cover really peaked my interest in the movie.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Yaaaay more Ophuls. :dance:

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Both Hunger and Revanche are very good films. Hunger isn't exactly a film I would look forward to watching it multiple times but I might have to check it again on Blu-ray. Don't know anything about MWFT but that really is a cool cover.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

McNutty: You have the best avatar on this entire forum, for the record.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Friedpundit posted:

Edit: This Joshua Goldberg fellow on the Criterion Facebook is one hell of an annoying troll.

Haha, his Facebook profile picture is the moon from A Trip to the Moon.

"GUYS LOOK AT THIS THING THAT I LIKE"

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

doctor thodt posted:

edit: crap ^^

owned

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Also, strange, no reissues in Blu-ray this February?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
If any of you out there have Comcast, Hunger is currently available for free in HD on their On Demand service. I'm planning on watching it soon, and if I like it I might pick up this set.

One movie I'd love to see the collection pick up is How Tasty Was My Little Frenchman. It's a great movie, OOP and I honestly can't think of any South American movies they have at the moment.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

morestuff posted:

I honestly can't think of any South American movies they have at the moment.

Black Orpheus

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Which apparently is on the short list for upgrading.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

Black Orpheus

Which is not really considered part of South American/Brazilian cinema.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Space Babe
Jun 16, 2006

i feel good about liverpool fc

doctor thodt posted:

OH GOD :shlick:

I hit up Barnes & Noble today, totally forgot to bring the coupon but I'm going to use it on Berlin Alexanderplatz.

I got:

Wings of Desire
Crazed Fruit
Solaris
Teshigahara boxset
Dusan Makavejev Eclipse set
Aki Kaurismaki Eclipse set
Nikkatsu Noir

Grand total $169 and some change. They had like ten copies of The Third Man, now I wish I hadn't ordered it online, but oh well. If anyone here lives in Charleston SC, the Barnes & Noble in West Ashley has literally every single Criterion release (except for the giant Janus set)!