Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

CornHolio posted:

Had to borrow my dad's drill.

Well, it wasn't really his, but his late grandfather's, so I was using my great-grandpa's drill. From 1956.

:smug:

Needless to say, they don't make them like they used to.

Oh kickass. What make is it?

We have a very similar old rear end drill that is currently 4 generations old in my family. The thing is absolutely brutal. I personally have torn the hell out of my wrist and smashed fingers from operating it, and my older brother, dad and grandfather have done such things about 400 some times more than me.

I've never encountered another drill with so much goddamned torque before. If you get a bit that catches in metal, it will lift your rear end right off the motherfucking ground and slam your hands/face onto whatever you're working on if you're holding on too hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blankooie
Jul 21, 2009

CornHolio posted:

No, no they do not. There is one in my grandmothers basement that looks sort of similar to that one, only bigger. I've been tempted to test the thing, and its not the severely frayed power cord that has been stopping me from doing so. Its the fact that the thing may tear my arm off.

edit: Forgot to mention, second day of my job over summer I saw a guy dislocate his shoulder on a massive drill that caught on who knows what. They were drilling through massive concrete walls in a parking garage.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Hypnolobster posted:

Oh kickass. What make is it?

Black and Decker. And yeah, the thing has so much torque I was almost scared to death to use it. Also, it smells like old people.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Wagonburner posted:

How high can I charge this thing? I take it to work to blow poo poo out with, and charge it to 100psi all the time and it seems ok, I'm scared to go higher until anonymous internet users tell me it's ok.
I've emailed my HVAC-tech dad, will edit when I get an answer.

In the meantime, here's what the valve looks like when DuPont gives it to you:

Click here for the full 524x800 image.

And this may be of interest:

Click here for the full 800x351 image.

Note the last line.

You should really just go buy a real air tank at Harbor Freight. that way you know how much it can hold, and have somebody to sue when it blows up in your face anyway. They're only, what, $40?

Though the Freon tank should have an overpressure-blowout-safety-thing (that round thing behind the valve in my pic), so it probably won't kill you if you overfill it. Just point the top of it away from your face/anything else you value while filling.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I picked up a Brute 10gallon compressor tonight. $114 out the door at Home Depot, with an accessory kit, and extra QD. For all of my paintball stuff I use the female connectors on the hoses. Is there a standard? Is it all female going towards the air source?

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Nerobro posted:

For all of my paintball stuff I use the female connectors on the hoses. Is there a standard? Is it all female going towards the air source?

Female connectors have valves that close when you decouple, so put those on the source side. So the tank gets a female, hose is male->female, tool is male. Otherwise when you disconnect a tool your hose goes flying around.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

The paintball airtank reminded me of probably the stupidest thing I've ever said in relation to tools.

I was wanting to get a tank like they fill paintball gun tanks with to use for my airbrush instead of a compressor. So I happen to see a Scuba store and I think "Hey, perfect!"

I walk in there and ask, "Hey, do you guys sell CO2 tanks here?"

And the guy's like :raise: "Um, no... our divers have to breathe air."

And I realize what I've said and just go :ughh: at myself.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
^^ LOL!

CornHolio posted:

Yeah. New tools are grounded and double-insulated so you don't die when the wires inside get old and fray a little.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Nerobro posted:

I picked up a Brute 10gallon compressor tonight. $114 out the door at Home Depot, with an accessory kit, and extra QD. For all of my paintball stuff I use the female connectors on the hoses. Is there a standard? Is it all female going towards the air source?
Female ends should be on the source, so when you unplug a hose, the tank doesn't drain through the male fitting.

And FYI: Your paintball gun needs upwards of 2000psi, nothing that your home compressor can put out. I figure you know that, but just checkin'.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

ASSTASTIC posted:

Can someone recommend me a good hand truck? I'd like to get one that won't just break on me.
http://www.wescomfg.com/html/hand_trucks/shovel_nose.htm

I've been using this at work for several years now. 900lbs capacity. Large enough to carry other, lesser hand-trucks (really nice if you work with a lot of handtrucks). Shovel nose is easier to slide under things imo. Bottom of shovel is completely level with the bottom of the wheels, which helps too (also lets you slide around on it like a jackass on a skateboard). It's pretty hefty though.

Mine is the solid wheel style. I think there is a pneumatic wheel option (probably what you'll want unless you only use it on flat concrete).

Avoid hand trucks with small wheels. They are terrible for leverage, getting over obstacles, etc. 700-900 is a great capacity range; Generally means it can stand up to any beating you throw at it. Don't buy hand trucks from Sears. And this is just anecdotal, but I have noticed that the higher quality hand trucks generally have a smooth enamel coating, and the low quality ones have a sandpaper-like matte coating.

If you are looking for an appliance type hand truck, try and find one with a ratcheting strap, and those deployable rear wheels which let the hand-truck sit, tilted and fully loaded on its own. Very nice for moving around the really heavy and unwieldy stuff ($6k refrigerators for example).

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

sharkytm posted:

And FYI: Your paintball gun needs upwards of 2000psi, nothing that your home compressor can put out. I figure you know that, but just checkin'.

The guns need 150-1100psi, depending on valve design. the tanks are 3000,4500, or 5000psi. ;-) I have no pretense of filling a paintball HPA tank on a LP compressor.

With my paintball stuff I always set it up with the female ends on hoses so I could use parts universally, either end.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
I do all my air hoses male->female so I can join them end to end if I need the reach.

edit: For tools I highly recommend 45 degree swivel male plugs. They make it feel so much more mobile.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Has anyone heard anything good or bad about the Brute 10 gal compressor that Nerobro just bought? I can't imagine its worse than the 8 gal Harbor Freight compressor I've had my eye on. I used to get by just fine with a 6 gal Craftsman pancake compressor so I don't think I need anything bigger, I just want an oiled compressor that isn't louder than a train.

Also, just to be sure, when Harbor Frieght compressors break, they just stop working right? Just don't want something that's going to blow up my garage one day.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Cat Hatter posted:

Also, just to be sure, when Harbor Frieght compressors break, they just stop working right? Just don't want something that's going to blow up my garage one day.

I would be stunned if a HF compressor pump could hit high enough pressure to rupture a tank. Even if it could, there are burst discs that will blow long before the tank does. If it does manage to kerplode your garage, you've got a gigantic lawsuit against them.

I wouldn't buy HF compressors simply because a good, used compressor will be better for the cost. For the same 5hp their pump will do 13cfm@90psi, my 20 year old speedaire will do 16, and a newish quincy/CP/IR unit will do over 18. All that wasted energy goes to heating up your air, which means more condensation.

Used industrial brand>new consumer brand>used consumer brand>new HF>any oilless compressor.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
Too true. For inflating tires and running a nailer the 8 gal HF compressor is more than adequate. For anything else, it's woefully underpowered. Impact guns, die grinders, air ratchets? Forget it, the drat thing runs almost continuously.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
If a pancake compressor can run my lovely $15 HF air ratchet and my lovely $30 Kobalt impact, I should be able to get by with a larger but equally lovely compressor. The most I ever do is loosen 5 properly torqued lug nuts at a time and then the compressor gets a break while I pull the tire off. I'd love to get a 60 gallon compressor and some good air tools, but they'd just end up taking up a bunch of space in my garage.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Try running a 8hp air grinder off your pancake compressor. :smug:

edit: It takes 26cfm@90psi.

oxbrain fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 8, 2009

blankooie
Jul 21, 2009
We have a 3hp compressor with a 20 gallon tank and a 4hp compressor with a 40 gallon tank. Also a 20 gallon portable air tank.

None of them are very impressive alone, but when you connect all three of these together you have 7hp and 80 gallons of air :smug:

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I'm almost afraid to ask what you would use an 8 hp air grinder for. I have a lovely riding mower with an 8 hp motor.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

well, I fired up the compressor for the first time tonight. It's like 3 minutes from startup till 125psi. good-nuff for me.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

:madmax:

Hell yes. 4.5" grinder, 12 amps, with bag, 5 year warranty, 2 grinding disks included.

I picked up a Dewalt originally, but the loving shank off the motor was too short for any of the sanding pads mounts carried by home depot, including the dewalt branded pads :psyduck: Ryobi, Milwaukee, Rigid, and all the other brands hand longer attachment shafts.

Ah well, I got a powerful unit with more stuff for slightly more money.

Rust can't hide from me no longer.

It's therapeutic. :3:

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
With the recent talk about air tanks etc, I was reminded of an idea I had. For dusting out computers we have crappy "canned air" at work, or a blower (essentially a canister vacuum with the hose on the other end). For at home, I either have to buy the crappy canned air for like $2, or remember to bring the blower home for a day.
My idea was to get a paintball gun tank, and put a nozzle attachment on it, to use for dusting out computers onsite, at home, wherever I need it. seems like the tanks would hold a lot of capacity, and have the advantage of refillability. Is there such an attachment? Is this a dumb idea?

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Air compressors have moisture. Don't use them to clean computer parts.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

Christobevii3 posted:

Air compressors have moisture. Don't use them to clean computer parts.

1. Air compressors have as much moisture as is in the air they compress.
2. Ambient air is in contact with your computer all the time, so compressed ambient air isn't going to magically ruin it in the few seconds it's used
3. as pointed out above, your garage compressor won't fill a paintball tank anywhere near its' capacity, I'd have it filled with C02 at a paintball supply place anyways.

edit: I've used a compressor to clean the computer I'm posting this from twice.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

BigKOfJustice posted:

:madmax:

Hell yes. 4.5" grinder, 12 amps, with bag, 5 year warranty, 2 grinding disks included.

I picked up a Dewalt originally, but the loving shank off the motor was too short for any of the sanding pads mounts carried by home depot, including the dewalt branded pads :psyduck: Ryobi, Milwaukee, Rigid, and all the other brands hand longer attachment shafts.

Ah well, I got a powerful unit with more stuff for slightly more money.

Rust can't hide from me no longer.

It's therapeutic. :3:
The DeWalt has a removable threaded spacer that makes it so you can hold cutting wheels. Its usually installed by default on all grinders, so you don't lose it. Nonetheless, the Milwaukee is a nice grinder. I'm a Metabo fan myself.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
My hf 4.5" $10 blue electric angle grinder has worked great for like 2 years. Pretty good torque out of it to.

This one except it was $10: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95578

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Use the HF grinder, then pick up a 6-10 amp grinder and tell me again that the HF grinder works great.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Ive used a Dewalt with cutting wheels and it wasn't $90 better especially considering the frequency and nature of angle grinder use for a home shop. I.E. once in a while and not in a huge rush.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

RealKyleH posted:

Ive used a Dewalt with cutting wheels and it wasn't $90 better especially considering the frequency and nature of angle grinder use for a home shop. I.E. once in a while and not in a huge rush.

I paid $35 for my dewalt 4.5" at costco (friend had membership).

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

oxbrain posted:

Use the HF grinder, then pick up a 6-10 amp grinder and tell me again that the HF grinder works great.

Yeah, cutting through exhaust pipes with a 10amp Milwaukee is awesome. Just slices like butter and smells sooo good.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

sharkytm posted:

The DeWalt has a removable threaded spacer that makes it so you can hold cutting wheels. Its usually installed by default on all grinders, so you don't lose it. Nonetheless, the Milwaukee is a nice grinder. I'm a Metabo fan myself.

The problem I had with the unit I picked up was there was no offset to the bottom of the shank. You can remove the shield and the back spacer, the seat of the shank is flush with the chassis of the grinder, so the disks will rub against the body of the grinder when it's spinning and then it only has 2 threads to lock onto.

Very bizzare, I'm guessing whatever model they sold me required very specific grinding/sanding disks that one particular [TUSTIN / IRVINE Home depot I'm looking at you :argh:] location didn't stock.

Absolutely happy with the Milwaukee, I picked up a wire brush for it Yesterday.

Speaking of which, time to make my rear end down to the shop.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

ab0z posted:

With the recent talk about air tanks etc, I was reminded of an idea I had. For dusting out computers we have crappy "canned air" at work, or a blower (essentially a canister vacuum with the hose on the other end). For at home, I either have to buy the crappy canned air for like $2, or remember to bring the blower home for a day.
My idea was to get a paintball gun tank, and put a nozzle attachment on it, to use for dusting out computers onsite, at home, wherever I need it. seems like the tanks would hold a lot of capacity, and have the advantage of refillability. Is there such an attachment? Is this a dumb idea?

It's not a bad idea, but depending on how much you use it, it might not be cost effective when compared to a compressor. Plus you'll need some kind of regulator on it.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

Doctor Zero posted:

It's not a bad idea, but depending on how much you use it, it might not be cost effective when compared to a compressor. Plus you'll need some kind of regulator on it.

Yeah it's not a big necessity, but it seemed like a cool idea. The main benefits would be portability, and capacity vs. endust or whatever cans. With continued use the price would eventually work out I think.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

BigKOfJustice posted:

Absolutely happy with the Milwaukee, I picked up a wire brush for it Yesterday.

Speaking of which, time to make my rear end down to the shop.

Do yourself a favor and pick up some Nylox wheel/cup brushes if you are going to be using a wire wheel/cup for any amount of time or regularity. You'll thank me after you spend a few hours using them and don't have to pick any shrapnel out of your hands and arms.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

sharkytm posted:

+1 for Metabo.

I really need to get one, but at the shop I worked at, that's all we used. I never liked the "on-off" switch before, but after hours of use, I can't stand using my dewalt pull switch.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
Yeah a paddle style would be nice, that's all I would change about it.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

The cheap little princess auto / harbour freight grinders are great for cutting wheels, but for proper grinding you need a decent brand name one.

I burned out two of the $25 trigger-style princess auto 4.5s restoring my tractor with braided wire cups. Then I bought a black and decker one and it's been way better. My only complaint is that the cord gets really stiff in cold weather.

Also, I got a nice bosch one for grinding welds and using flap disks.

I would have liked to have used nylon brushes, but they just don't get rid of 60 year old lead paint like the steel ones do.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Before I got my own compressor I borrowed a friends 2hp 8 gallon harbor freight one a couple times.

Both times doing front-end work and it ran the impact just fine for taking off or putting on wheels or anything else you'd use an impact for. I don't think I've ever had a reason to do anything more air-hungry with an impact than putting on a wheel. Anything else is a nut or bolt or two here or there and if there's more than that you're probably having to pause between them anyway to get into position or move stuff out of the way. I guess what I'm trying to say is: 6-in-a-row lugnuts is what this shadetree guy would consider a benchmark for shadetree guys like me and it does it just fine.

I was also using an air-hammer lots and only remember having to pause maybe twice for the compressor to catch up. I have no experience in grinders or paint guns or anything more air hungry but I'd think those would be right out.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 9, 2009

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Kind of a crosspost from the BMW thread, but we got this in at work today:

I'll definitely be using it to remove my E36's mechanical fan nut, which happens to be a 32mm. Lord help me if I forget its reverse-threaded, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
:siren: Tools for brake lines :siren:
I need a flare tool and line bending tool. Before I go grab some cheap poo poo to frustrate myself with, does anyone have recommendations based on experience?
I have these stores to shop at:
Harbor freight
Autozone
Advance auto
NAPA
Car Quest
Sears
various big chain stores

I would like to keep the price reasonable, but I recognize that you get what you pay for (if you're lucky) so if the only tools worth buying are expensive, that's what I'm getting.