Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thoran
Aug 28, 2007
Bet you dudes never saw one of these poo poo boxes: My car R31 skyline D:

mind my dinted bumper :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

thoran posted:

Cant decide if thats incredibly ugly an 80s shitboxesque, or really loving cool for how novel it is and what followed it.

Colonel Aureliano
Feb 17, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

thoran posted:

poo poo box?

I'd say it's a pussy magnet.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Yeah, that car looks surprisingly awesome. The 80's were not a kind time to a lot of automobiles. :(

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
They're horrible tincans. My family had a wagon in the early 90's. When got rid of it when on a hot day, the entire ECU melted.

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

IdentityVoid posted:

2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track. Just picked it up on Saturday!

The V6 Genesis Coupes have a sweet throttle note.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Mr. Toast posted:

Oh poo poo, I did?

Yeah, I went on sunday. What were you driving?

I was on a blue first gen SV650 with white leathers on. I usually try to do 5-10 runs per weekend. Will have either a black E21 or a red gutted E30 down there soon hopefully.

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004

Tremek posted:

Speaking of:

Had it about a month, M6 GXP. Replaced my Mazdaspeed3 that was on its second engine at 16k miles. I'm enjoying it.

Welcome to the club, G8 Buddy. I am sure you will enjoy your as much as I enjoy mine. And I have only 360hp on tap. There are many goons who also own these cars. GET EM SLUGGER, Rubiks Pubes to name a few. Although it's less popular with goons than the GTO, still a popular ride.

mine again, posting for proof.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

thoran
Aug 28, 2007
It's amazing seeing Americans getting excited over these cars given they are common as anything here in Australia- and then it's uglfied to 'American' standards. I'm sure you've all seen them but here's a R8 aus spec (original) of the four doors.

Do you guys actually prefer the pontiac front end or the Aussie models?

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

I like the 'uglified' Pontiac front end better.
Congrats on the purchase, Tremek. My only regret when I got my G8 was that I couldn't afford the GXP.

thoran
Aug 28, 2007

GET EM SLUGGER posted:

I like the 'uglified' Pontiac front end better.
Congrats on the purchase, Tremek. My only regret when I got my G8 was that I couldn't afford the GXP.

I didn't mean to offend so much as get an opinion - to me I really don't like the Pontiac front end, I'd be interested to see if American tastes really do warrant the different front end.

I also think it's funny that you guys pay almost half as much as we do in Australia and the loving things are made here D:.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

thoran posted:

I didn't mean to offend so much as get an opinion - to me I really don't like the Pontiac front end, I'd be interested to see if American tastes really do warrant the different front end.

I think it's also due to the G8 needing to be more of a high-volume car to justify its existence, so it couldn't be as extreme™. I like the G8 and they catch my eye whenever I pass one. It was a definite departure for Pontiac, but it was way too late to save the sinking ship.

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004

thoran posted:

and then it's uglfied to 'American' standards.

Don't you worry. HSV is taking care of uglyfying it for you guys too. But the American hood is making it over on the Maloo and hsv gts. So now you guys get hood vents too. :iamafag: But I really am jealous of not having the HSV LED tail lights.

http://www.carpictures.com/vehicle/09I8G082328014.html

_firehawk fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 12, 2009

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
a LOT of G8 guys swap out to the Holden front end but I think that's more in line with the type of people that buy an Acura and swap out to Honda badging. JDM tite yo.

I like the Pontiac front better, but the GT one looks better than the GXP front to me.

We need a G8 megathread :D

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

_firehawk posted:

Don't you worry. HSV is taking care of uglyfying it for you guys too. But the American hood is making it over on the Maloo and hsv gts. So now you guys get hood vents too. :iamafag: But I really am jealous of not having the HSV LED tail lights.

Sure it's ugly, but it looks really mean.

thoran
Aug 28, 2007

_firehawk posted:

I have to admit the 2010 models are ugly as sin - they keep some design elements that are good and then go way over the top with all sorts of crap that just clutters the hell out of the design - the interior is kinda spiffy now though, but i suspect it's average quality as per Holdens usual standards.

Still it's come a long way from this ugly thing:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9e/1986-1988_Holden_VL_Commodore.jpg

PS one of my friends might have built your cars! Also - I worked out it's probably cheaper for me to buy pontiac in the US and convert it to RHD then to buy one locally, and they're made in Adelaide where I live D:.

thoran fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 12, 2009

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

thoran posted:

Hey that looks kinda familiar, my dad has a similar body style(cant remember the year) wagon that I put a lot of miles on when I was visiting him in NZ last.

I love the rear windows that wrap onto the roof and hood mounted mirrors on my dads, but the fact it runs on LPG and is a four speed kinda sucked. I loved telling people in the US about how my dad has a skyline in NZ, as all anyone here knows is the r32/33/34.

And just for fun, heres where it lives with the bonus shot of my dads '89 mirage turbo. That thing was a blast on the roads around the northland(he lives in whangeria)

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost

Rubiks Pubes posted:

a LOT of G8 guys swap out to the Holden front end but I think that's more in line with the type of people that buy an Acura and swap out to Honda badging. JDM tite yo.

I like the Pontiac front better, but the GT one looks better than the GXP front to me.

We need a G8 megathread :D

I wonder if ADM will enter the vernacular in the US.

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007

-Spiffy- posted:

ADM fo lyfe yo

thoran
Aug 28, 2007

Negromancer posted:

Hey that looks kinda familiar, my dad has a similar body style(cant remember the year) wagon that I put a lot of miles on when I was visiting him in NZ last.

I love the rear windows that wrap onto the roof and hood mounted mirrors on my dads, but the fact it runs on LPG and is a four speed kinda sucked. I loved telling people in the US about how my dad has a skyline in NZ, as all anyone here knows is the r32/33/34.
And just for fun, heres where it lives with the bonus shot of my dads '89 mirage turbo. That thing was a blast on the roads around the northland(he lives in whangeria)

That looks like a R30 wagon - r30's are rockin - that'd have an injected L series engine I think, L28 EFI I think. Awesome cars. Mines a r31 88 model so while there are tonnes here (a few in NZ too I hear) They were not sold the same as mine anywhere else. There were jappo ones too (mine looks very similar now to a S1 passage jap spec skyline) but they aren't popular imports since they're slower, older and overall not as exciting looking to the ricers - but i think they're sexy as hell.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Negromancer posted:

I liked that model of Skyline. Australia never got the wagon version of that, but we got the sedan and liftback. They still ran an IRS, not cheapened out like the R30 series where they went to a live axle (the Australian built ones). Plus have a nice style to them.

XCPuff
Nov 26, 2005

FEAR THIS MAN

-Spiffy- posted:

I would kill for an HSV front end on my GTO...

thoran
Aug 28, 2007

XCPuff posted:

I would kill for an HSV front end on my GTO...

It really wouldn't be that hard to get - just expensive. You could probably pretty easily buy one right from Holden - you might just have to pay half as much as what you paid for your car D:.

If Holden wont ship to you directly - an Aus goon could probably sort it out, but they'd probably need some sort of large shipping experience.

Mr. Toast
Oct 10, 2007

by Fistgrrl

NitroSpazzz posted:

I was on a blue first gen SV650 with white leathers on. I usually try to do 5-10 runs per weekend. Will have either a black E21 or a red gutted E30 down there soon hopefully.

I think I saw you then. SV650's are one of the main bikes I pay attention to. I hope to have one when I get the funds. Already took the MSF course :D

PLEASE bring the e21. They are one of my favorite bimmers.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

sw0cb posted:

ADM fo lyfe yo

Rip snortin' ADM, mate! :australia:

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004

thoran posted:

It really wouldn't be that hard to get - just expensive. You could probably pretty easily buy one right from Holden - you might just have to pay half as much as what you paid for your car D:.

If Holden wont ship to you directly - an Aus goon could probably sort it out, but they'd probably need some sort of large shipping experience.

You can usually get this stuff from JHP. But the problem is the shipping. See this thread.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

You Am I posted:

I liked that model of Skyline. Australia never got the wagon version of that, but we got the sedan and liftback. They still ran an IRS, not cheapened out like the R30 series where they went to a live axle (the Australian built ones). Plus have a nice style to them.

If I remember correctly, it was a live rear axle and has idler arm steering, so it was a bit of a handful on the super windy country NZ roads. Of course that didn't stop me from tossing it around and sliding around corners on gravel roads.

thoran posted:

That looks like a R30 wagon - r30's are rockin - that'd have an injected L series engine I think, L28 EFI I think. Awesome cars. Mines a r31 88 model so while there are tonnes here (a few in NZ too I hear) They were not sold the same as mine anywhere else. There were jappo ones too (mine looks very similar now to a S1 passage jap spec skyline) but they aren't popular imports since they're slower, older and overall not as exciting looking to the ricers - but i think they're sexy as hell.

Either his is a really early r30 or something else, as I am almost positive that this ones still carb'd and setup to run LPG or petrol. I tended to pay more and run petrol cause it was completely gutless when running lpg. I love the look of it tho and have the strange desire to cram a rb26 or something in it. Maybe someday when I get off my rear end and move to NZ so I can buy the fun cars we don't get in the US.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
'92 325i

Just got it a month ago after my '89 325i got t-boned and totalled out. :(
Keeping the E30 for either LeMons or a dedicated track car, depending on whether we can get into LeMons with an actual "i" model E30.

The E36 is stock, but I've got Bilstein HD shocks/struts going in all around tomorrow, plus I've got the Meyle mounts and Turner reinforcing plates protecting my ladylike strut towers.

My Flickr Page! :nws:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Cross posting this from the BMW thread because there aren't enough old cars in this thread.

From Left to Right: 1997 E36 318ti (youngest brothers), 1988 E30 325is (my track rat), 1977 E21 320i (my nice car), 1987 E30 325 (other brothers), 1999 E36 M3 (dad's track car). And Dad's new solar setup in the background...was putting out 2300 watts most of the time we were taking photos. We considered putting the R1150RT in front but didn't.

The Anal Pirate
Jul 8, 2008

Who the hell are you to judge me!?
Since I finally bothered to take a picture of my junk heap.

Click here for the full 1023x682 image.

99 Ford F-150, 4.2l V6, 311,000 miles and still going very strong. I hope to learn how to wrench on this thing right before trading it in on a new (to me) truck. My only prayer is that I don't f*ck it up so bad as to ruin my shot of selling it outright or trading it in. It isn't very AI, but I use the piss out of this thing hauling a 1200 pound loaded down cargo trailer nearly every day of it's life.

Doctor Bud
Jul 25, 2008

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

The Anal Pirate posted:

Since I finally bothered to take a picture of my junk heap.

Click here for the full 1023x682 image.

99 Ford F-150, 4.2l V6, 311,000 miles and still going very strong. I hope to learn how to wrench on this thing right before trading it in on a new (to me) truck. My only prayer is that I don't f*ck it up so bad as to ruin my shot of selling it outright or trading it in. It isn't very AI, but I use the piss out of this thing hauling a 1200 pound loaded down cargo trailer nearly every day of it's life.

Given the McMansions located around you, it is my belief that you should just put it on cinder blocks in the front yard to let it rust away. It'd be much more fun to piss off the neighbors that way than to fit in and buy something new and shiny like them.

The Anal Pirate
Jul 8, 2008

Doctor Bud posted:

Given the McMansions located around you, it is my belief that you should just put it on cinder blocks in the front yard to let it rust away. It'd be much more fun to piss off the neighbors that way than to fit in and buy something new and shiny like them.

McMansions? I think the biggest house on my street is like 2400 square feet? Either way I only bought in this place because I got a steal on the house. My dad builds houses and couldnt have built this one as cheap as I got it for cost. I don't really want anything new tho, a 2000-2003 dodge 2500 cummins or power stroke is what I am after. Sadly, we did get the wife an 05 expedition recently. Can't say it's awesome, but I love that she has reliable transportation now. She used to have a 00 VW Jetta VR6 that overheated every ten miles even in the dead of winter. I pulled the whole front clip and replaced everything I could think of with the cooling system and it overheated the next day.

Am I still trying to justify my Wifes Expedition? :sigh:

EDIT: At least shes happy, and I wheel that bitch all over our ranch in south Texas.

EDIT EDIT: Too bad the bropocolypse truck that lives across the street wasn't home.

The Anal Pirate fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 16, 2009

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.

Doctor Bud posted:

Your neighbors have an inflatable turkey wearing a pilgrim hat in their yard.

I couldn't recommend having your F-150 on cinderblocks enough.

The Anal Pirate
Jul 8, 2008

MATLAB 1988 posted:

I'm sure the HOA will write them a letter in no time :rolleyes:

They wrote me once saying I couldn't park in the street, the rear end hats.

Also, I don't get the joke. Maybe I am just tired, or dense, or both?

EDIT: Never mind, I get it... wow I need sleep.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

MATLAB 1988 posted:

Seconded. And put an open bag of dog food in the passenger seat, you'll have raccoons nesting there in no time, for that added je ne sais quoi.

Seriously, though, 311K miles in 10 years and it's still going strong is pretty impressive, regardless of appearances or neighbours.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

thoran posted:

That looks like a R30 wagon - r30's are rockin - that'd have an injected L series engine I think, L28 EFI I think.

That one is the 1800cc four cylinder. Also the Mirage is an '86 not '89

Re HSVs - they've always been tacky as hell looking which I guess is part of their appeal. The equivalent SS Commodore has always been more subtle.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

dissss posted:

That one is the 1800cc four cylinder. Also the Mirage is an '86 not '89

Re HSVs - they've always been tacky as hell looking which I guess is part of their appeal. The equivalent SS Commodore has always been more subtle.

'86 really? I could be getting confused though cause my dad had late '80s mirage turbo when he lived in seattle still years ago. Either way it was way to entertaining to drive, but the one complaint is the transmission. Can mitsubishi not build a good tranny? My dads old galant vr4 had the second gear issue, and the mirage had the same problem. Either way it was one of the most fun fwd cars ive driven, behind my old mk1 gti.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Since when is 2400 square feet not a McMansion..that is loving huge. @$%YIO!@*%@% fat Americans.

BabyJesus
Nov 13, 2002

sbaldrick posted:

Since when is 2400 square feet not a McMansion..that is loving huge. @$%YIO!@*%@% fat Americans.

We bought a 4 bedroom/2.5 bath 2 story with a 2 car garage. 3600 finished square feet, and its by far one of the smallest in my neighborhood, and only average for our town. :(

I wish it were smaller I dont like cleaning all of this crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anal Pirate
Jul 8, 2008

sbaldrick posted:

Ours is about 1600 and its considered entry level and it is plenty for us.