Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Yeah Borknagar doesn't fit. I'm after a very cranky and specific standard of trueness to black metal. Mortuary Drape and Beherit fit as well, I suppose, although they both have DM-ish tendencies.

Of course I'm always down to hear more stuff like Mortuary Drape and Beherit anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axolotl Atlatl
Mar 19, 2009

It's the truth, mang.
Just ask your pop.
Vergelmer maybe? They do quite a bit of slower/dirge-y stuff. Might be bordering on slightly more melodic than what you're after, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9ECrfAQdRY

Razor
May 9, 2004

Like a dark night in autumn

Mephysteaux posted:

I find this kind of funny, not only because I've read a bunch of interviewers with members of Dimmu Borgir where they Satanism is as dumb as Christianity, but I'm doing a research project, part of which covers black metal, and Dimmu Borgir are by no means the worst band out there.

Well, when it comes to Satanism in metal, there are a couple variations. There are the theistic Satanists like Dissection or Deicide, whose members believe(d) the Judeo-Christian god exists, and are in opposition to him. Then there are the LaVeyan Satanists like Mercyful Fate, who are atheistic and use Satan metaphorically. Then I guess you could say there's a catch-all category of bands whose lyrics refer to Satan without a theistic or LaVeyan inspiration.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

But then, Laveyan Satanism is just kind of a more retarded Ayn Rand so it's all equally bad

I'd say theistic Satanism is worse, considering they believe in a sky wizard and ground wizard.

Razor fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 7, 2009

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

But then, Laveyan Satanism is just kind of a more retarded Ayn Rand so it's all equally bad

Mephysteaux
Oct 30, 2009
It's a book for my senior design class, writing is about metal in general, but as part of that I picked about 15 subgenres and wrote a 2 page article on each of them. Black Metal was probably my favorite subgenre to research, though, because it has a lot of distinguishing characteristics, both musically and culturally, and a really colorful history.

I have a feeling I'm going to get this question, so I'll answer it. Subgenres I picked were Heavy Metal, NWOBHM, Glam Metal, Power Metal, Thrash Metal, Black Metal, Death Metal, Gothic Metal, Industrial Metal, Crossover Thrash/Metalcore, Groove Metal, Melodeath Metal, Nu Metal, Folk Metal, and Novelty Metal (A subgenre I basically invented for the book, bands I mention in here are Spinal Tap, Gwar, Dethklok, Psychostick, Hatebeak, Thunderlords, and Ten Masked Men). I skipped over some like Doom Metal and Prog Metal because I couldn't really find enough of the kind of info I was looking for to make an interesting spread.

EDIT: Also, to get inspiration, I went outside my musical box a bit, ended up listening to War by Burzum a few times, came up with these 'misheard lyrics'. I find them amusing, you may too.

This is a car, woah!

Iron logos, I rip things out
Whatever coat check, all alone
Burning hula comes around
All the fat that's on a boat

Roar! Roar! Raw! Raw!

I found ketchup, sugar and salt
I fall down, put on your mug

Roar! Raw! Roar! Raw!

Burning arrows, oh gently caress! This hurts!
Morning dump, I'll go
Wandering camera, retardo duck
Just stop, reverse all the people

Roar! Roar! Raw! Raw!

(Then Varg does his guitar solo. He has to do it himself because he accidentally stabbed his session guitarist to death.)

Mephysteaux fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Nov 7, 2009

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007
I think those are the actual lyrics.

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man

Razor posted:

Sounds good. Any other Michiganders interested in meeting up in Grand Rapids to watch Until the Light Takes Us and grab some drinks before and/or after?

Depends on the date, I could try and get a few guys from the LUElinks metal topic, as well.

Razor
May 9, 2004

Like a dark night in autumn

December 4th; the showtime(s) won't be announced until the 1st, though.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Munky from KORN posted:

I've been asking this everywhere, might as well try here: Can any of you name BM bands with a tempo like Inquisition's or Demoncy's? Both bands don't trouble themselves to play too quickly, even when they're blasting. Both bands do this while being "true" BM, not symphonic or folk or doom or anything. I want stuff like that. There's not a lot, it seems.

Beastcraft are pretty good if you're into low-tempo grim black metal.

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007

ElectricWizard posted:

Beastcraft are pretty good if you're into low-tempo grim black metal.

Awesome song, lollest video. I'll see if I can find the album.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17
I don't know who recommended the new Nazxul album, Iconoclast, but thank you - it's amazing.

First album I've heard by them - how does it stack up compared to their older stuff?

Elrond Hubbard
Mar 30, 2007

To ERH
*everyone applauds*

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

I don't know who recommended the new Nazxul album, Iconoclast, but thank you - it's amazing.

First album I've heard by them - how does it stack up compared to their older stuff?

Iconoclast was much more of a coherent album. I also have their album Totem, which has some great tracks on it, like 'I Awaken (Amongst Them)', but doesn't really have the complete album feel that Iconoclast does. Totem's still a loving killer album, though.

They also have an EP out with the incomparable 'Vow of Vengeance' on it, and some live stuff. There might be other stuff, but I haven't heard it.

Caucasus Belli
Jun 6, 2007

by T. Finn

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

It was me and it is a lot better than their older stuff. Not that their older stuff isn't good, though, you should check it out if you get a chance. Iconoclast is their magnum opus though.

I'm really pissed I missed them when they were over here.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Caucasus Belli posted:

It was me and it is a lot better than their older stuff. Not that their older stuff isn't good, though, you should check it out if you get a chance. Iconoclast is their magnum opus though.

I'm really pissed I missed them when they were over here.

I got it a while back, but your post made me finally go and listen to it. This is top notch stuff here.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
Oath (Fides Resurrectio) is probably my favorite song from Iconoclast. I can have it on repeat for days, just an awesome song

Caucasus Belli
Jun 6, 2007

by T. Finn
It's Black Wings for me.

Ondskapt are playing at the end of the month, anyone know what they're like live?

Caucasus Belli fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 11, 2009

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Caucasus Belli posted:

Ondskapt are playing at the end of the month, anyone know what they're like live?

They're going to be blown off the stage by the support bands.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Whoohoo! I just found out Marduk is playing Blondies in Detroit Dec. 14th. Now I just have to get the day off.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Who said there's no controversy surrounding the Norwegian black metal scene anymore? Mayhem just got arrested in Holland, for thrashing a hotel room. The damages amounted to 5000 Euros. That's some controversial behavior right there.

Link to article in Norwegian

e: Google Translation (don't have the time to translate myslef right now, sorry)

quote:

Members of the Norwegian Mayhem was arrested in the Dutch city of Tilburg in the morning after they had destroyed a hotel room at Hotel Central, writes the Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf.

- I know nothing about, but it sounds not entirely illogical, says Espen Solheim Røhne by Mayhem Norwegian label Indie Distribution to Dagbladet.

Damages for almost 50 000
The band stayed at the hotel after last night held a concert at the Club Hall Of Fame, as part of their recent European tour. The next day was much of the room was completely destroyed.

The walls were full of stains, a mirror was broken, and a wash destroyed. In addition, several plants have been thrown out on the street.

Jan-Martin Jensen, the band's booking manager in Norway, knows not to arrest in the Netherlands, but according to Der Telegraph damages hotel costs around 5000 euros (just under 50 000 million).

The band members can not get out of prison before they've made up for themselves.

Mayhem was founded in 1984, and has legendary status among black metal counters worldwide. They were particularly famous in Norway that after Varg "Greven" Vikernes, the former bassist of the band, was convicted of the murder of guitarist Øystein "Euronymous" Aarseth in 1993.

It has not succeeded in Dagbladet to get in touch with the band's French record company, but an hour ago commented on the current arrest in the Netherlands on his Facebook profile.

- Mayhem is arrested for destroying a hotel room, well done boys, well done, they write.

The band, who last year won Spellemannspris for disc "Ordo Ad Chao", shifted recently released several of its members.

According to NRK Lydverket the following members who are part of the band's tour: Attila Csihar on vocals, Necrobutcher (aka Necrobutcher) on bass, Hellhammer (aka Jan Axel Blomberg) on drums, and Morfeus (aka Krister Dreyer) and Silmaeth on each guitar.

Pannus fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 16, 2009

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

quote:

The walls were full of stains, a mirror was broken, and a wash destroyed. In addition, several plants have been thrown out on the street.

How could these monsters do such a thing :O

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Mudflap McDirt posted:

How could these monsters do such a thing :O

Wonder what prompted this outburst. No mints on the pillows?

Funeral Mist
Sep 30, 2009
Necrobutcher aka Necrobutcher decided on the act I heard.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Haha, Google Translate actually translates "Jørn Stubberud" to Necrobutcher.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

stairway to hippo posted:

This is the best thing.

Wonder if it'll do Ihsahn, Mortiis or others.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Happy Hedonist posted:

Whoohoo! I just found out Marduk is playing Blondies in Detroit Dec. 14th. Now I just have to get the day off.

Hell yes, this show is going to sah-weet.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

The new Burzum album will be called "Den Hvite Guden" (The White God), and is planned for release March/April 2010. More info on the official website:
http://www.burzum.org/eng/library/a_burzum_story10.shtml

I'm not really sure what to expect from this release. I really enjoy some of Burzum's old music, but I can't see how he could be able to recreate the atmosphere from the albums recorded back then. Anyway, I'm really curious to hear what the new Burzum will sound like.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

The new Burzum album will be called "Den Hvite Guden" (The White God), and is planned for release March/April 2010. More info on the official website:
http://www.burzum.org/eng/library/a_burzum_story10.shtml

I'm not really sure what to expect from this release. I really enjoy some of Burzum's old music, but I can't see how he could be able to recreate the atmosphere from the albums recorded back then. Anyway, I'm really curious to hear what the new Burzum will sound like.

"The "black metallers" will probably continue to "get loaded", "get high", and in all other manners too behave like the stereotypical Negro; they will probably continue to get foreign tribal tattoos, dress, walk, talk, look and act like homosexuals, and so forth."

:lol:

Never change Varg, never change.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Yeah, his entire website is pretty funny.

Lord Purple
Mar 7, 2006

Remove your eyes...

Varg posted:

I can add that just like on the other metal albums (with the exception of "Hvis Lyset Tar Oss") "Den Hvite Guden" features some very old Burzum tracks. "Filosofem" featured the "Burzum" track, from 1991, and "Den Hvite Guden" will feature the "Uruk-Hai" track, from 1988-1989, although the title and the lyrics have been changed to fit the new concept. It will also feature the original "Dauði Baldrs" metal track, from 1993.

Can't say how Varg is doing in songwriting these days but this bit of news has me excited. It is too bad he is changing the lyrics on "Uruk-Hai" track, if I remember correctly, I read somewhere the chorus was "Uruk-Hai, you will die!".

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

It loving actually does! This is brilliant.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Hung Yuri posted:

"The "black metallers" will probably continue to "get loaded", "get high", and in all other manners too behave like the stereotypical Negro; they will probably continue to get foreign tribal tattoos, dress, walk, talk, look and act like homosexuals, and so forth."

Maybe he should burn a church about it.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Only read about 20 pages of this thread, but what does everybody think about Bone Awl?

Caucasus Belli
Jun 6, 2007

by T. Finn

Hung Yuri posted:

I know I will

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007

:black101:

Secks
Oct 10, 2002

The city is alive tonight
Sigh has a new song up on their Myspace

Holy smokes, I love me some Sigh.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

They sound too much like clowns for me to get into.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

aliencowboy posted:

Sigh was great during the original S-I-G-H. Scorn Defeat is definitely not circus music or anything of the kind.

Funeral Mist
Sep 30, 2009

aliencowboy posted:

yeah I've never been able to get into these weird experimental black metal bands with unorthodox instruments.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Munky from KORN posted:

Sigh was great during the original S-I-G-H. Scorn Defeat is definitely not circus music or anything of the kind.

I've only heard stuff from their most recent two albums. If their old material has less clown laughing, then I'll look into. Only King Diamond gets to get away with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lady glastheim
Apr 4, 2007

You enjoy the rewards, I'll enjoy... the punishment.
People have recently posted Varg Vikerenes news, so crucify me if this has already been posted.
Someone in Mexico apparently loves Varg enough to make a Burzum tribute album, called "When The Night Falls".

This guy. http://www.myspace.com/xxbethlehemxx

He says he is "from a place that is not of this world".
He claims to be white.
His musical influences are Miley Cyrus and Burzum.
He posts pictures of himself online that look like this.

Varg doesn't seem to be gravely insulted however, and has posted this news on his personal website. Take that how you will.

Edit: Miley Cyrus.