Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elTeddy
Jun 19, 2004
Where boys fear to tread
1 Fed Through The Teeth Machine - Makes me appreciate Prey for Eyes so much but still the best new release.
2 Desperate Living - So impressed, it's catchier, heavier and better produced than any of their other albums.
3 Axe to Fall - Great listen front to back.
4 The Great Misdirect - Too much filler, but Obfuscation is a great track, kinda disappointed at having listened to it before sitting down with the album. Feels rushed, some songs don't have a nucleus at all.
5 Day of Mourning - a distant fifth. Pretty solid, All for Nothing is a great track, can't stand MVP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

elTeddy posted:

4 The Great Misdirect - some songs don't have a nucleus at all.

Listen to it again specifically listening for repeated themes and you'll find that's completely wrong. There's a lot of complaints I could levy against The Great Misdirect, but the songs not having "a nucleus" sure as hell isn't on of them. If anything, that'd apply better to Colors.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
The more I listen to The Great Misdirect the more I don't like it, which is disappointing for me. I too enjoyed "Obfuscation" and was hoping for a very fine tape.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
For a while, each listen got better and better, but then it started getting worse. I still like all the tracks though.

However, both this and Colors have very focused songs, for their length. IMO, at least.

elTeddy
Jun 19, 2004
Where boys fear to tread

deadwing posted:

Listen to it again specifically listening for repeated themes and you'll find that's completely wrong. There's a lot of complaints I could levy against The Great Misdirect, but the songs not having "a nucleus" sure as hell isn't on of them. If anything, that'd apply better to Colors.

You're right in that there is repetition of themes throughout the album. Track 1 & 2 sharing some lyrics, and thematic similarities between songs etc, I hear that, but what i'm talking about is single songs feeling complete. I'm a big grind fan fan but some of the grindier bits just suck and feel thrown in. I just think they've gotten too big for their boots, think they're like the pink floyd of metal.

and what about riffs repeated across albums? I find the bit with the horse neigh and then the countryfried riff at 4.00 in 'Disease...' so similar to about 4.30 in 'Ants...' off Colors. I first noticed this tho on Fed Through the Teeth Machine. At 1.30 into the first track, the melodic lead sounds like it came straight off the last track from Prey for Eyes, 'Seminar,' at about 3.09. Coincidence? Sloppy songwriting? I'm not sure.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Shiiiiiiiiit, bringing Eternal Lord back in here for some people who may have not heard of them. Set Your Anchor is loving brutal http://popup.lala.com/popup/360569458718147526 But so is pretty much every other song on Blessed Be This Nightmare

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007
I've been having the opposite experience. The more I listen to TGM the more I like it.

quote:

and what about riffs repeated across albums? I find the bit with the horse neigh and then the countryfried riff at 4.00 in 'Disease...' so similar to about 4.30 in 'Ants...' off Colors.
It feels kind of similar rhythmically but I don't really hear it.

Just out of curiosity though, how many of you play instruments? I play guitar and most of my musical friends all dig BTBAM but those who don't play anything generally can't get into it.

quote:

I'm a big grind fan fan but some of the grindier bits just suck and feel thrown in. I just think they've gotten too big for their boots, think they're like the pink floyd of metal.
Yeah I agree with this criticism. There's a serious lack of grind riffs on TGM when compared to any of their earlier work.

elTeddy
Jun 19, 2004
Where boys fear to tread

The Dirtyness posted:

Just out of curiosity though, how many of you play instruments? I play guitar and most of my musical friends all dig BTBAM but those who don't play anything generally can't get into it.

that's definite a factor in appreciating BTBAM, the 'wow' factor as such.

why do i like 'throne of lunacy' off deflorate so much, and not any of the other tracks. what is wrong with me?

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

quote:

why do i like 'throne of lunacy' off deflorate so much, and not any of the other tracks. what is wrong with me?
This is also my favorite track off of Deflorate. Unfortunately everything TBDM does ends up being forgettable though because all the songs sound the same.

e: On a grind related note - holy poo poo Cephalic Carnage is loving awesome. So far I've only heard Xenosapien but I'm really enjoying it so far. What do I listen to next?

The Dirtyness fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 17, 2009

elTeddy
Jun 19, 2004
Where boys fear to tread
probably Anomalies. This was the album that really got me into them. Starts and ends awesome, Wraith, Enviovore, Inside is out, great tracks. If you like that then check out Lucid Interval which is the best imo, the title track and pseudo are great. John Merryman has such a great style and vicious snare.

m3talh3ad
Jan 28, 2005

Wamsutta posted:

What did DH play? I saw them with Trivium back in September and it was something like...

Demon(s)
A Paradox With Flies
Convalescence
Blessed Infection

And one or two others, they went on first :( Darkest Hour playing before White Chapel makes me sad.

Pretty sure they played those, as well as Doomsayer, No God, and maybe Sound the Surrender? How was your show?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Just went to a local show tonight and out of nowhere this band Those Who Lie Beneath came on and blew me away. They were really loving good. Check them on MySpace.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Shiiiiiiiiit, bringing Eternal Lord back in here for some people who may have not heard of them. Set Your Anchor is loving brutal http://popup.lala.com/popup/360569458718147526 But so is pretty much every other song on Blessed Be This Nightmare

you son of a piss I thought you were going to say they had a new album :mad:

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

m3talh3ad posted:

Pretty sure they played those, as well as Doomsayer, No God, and maybe Sound the Surrender? How was your show?

Doomsayer and No God, yeah they did those when I saw them in September. They were really tight and solid live and a really fun group of guys to talk to. We hung out with them during the end of Trivium's set because we were all tired and my friend Steve had taken a hardcore kid's fist to the nose in the pit (who in the gently caress hardcore dances to Trivium? Really?)

a pwn cocktail
May 12, 2008
Is this the right thread for me to whinge about converge's new album, or is the general metal thread a better idea?

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

this is the place to do it, unless by "whinge" you mean "complain" in which case :frogout:

Just kidding.

a pwn cocktail
May 12, 2008
I just wanted to express my regret that it's not as good as the last album I guess. Not bad though.

Does anyone know what song the riff from 3:00 - 3:06 is reminding me of on this track http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkpEF0QZe2g
It's killing me :(

Also, has anyone noticed the similarities between "Worms Will Feed/Rats Will Feast" and Pissed Jeans' "Secret Admirer"? Both good songs mind you.

Wretched World seems kind of like a missed opportunity. :/

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

a pwn cocktail posted:

I just wanted to express my regret that it's not as good as the last album I guess. Not bad though.

Does anyone know what song the riff from 3:00 - 3:06 is reminding me of on this track http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkpEF0QZe2g
It's killing me :(

Also, has anyone noticed the similarities between "Worms Will Feed/Rats Will Feast" and Pissed Jeans' "Secret Admirer"? Both good songs mind you.

Wretched World seems kind of like a missed opportunity. :/

Wretched World would've been rad if they extend the last 2 minutes to like 3-4 minutes.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Parachute Underwear posted:

Wretched World would've been rad if they extend the last 2 minutes to like 3-4 minutes.

I always listen to that song twice in the car for the exact reason you posted.

Mazel Tov
Jul 27, 2004

*~Hebrew Honeyz~*

ShoogaSlim posted:

Just went to a local show tonight and out of nowhere this band Those Who Lie Beneath came on and blew me away. They were really loving good. Check them on MySpace.

I mentioned them earlier in this thread. Good band and awesome dudes. I've played with them a bunch and they always are amazing live.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

I was at the show for a friend's band and was just looking around at merch. I saw this awesome shirt from them with a zombie pope with an upside-down cross staff and skulls with 666 on the foreheads which looked so awesome. Not even for the symbolism but the artwork was great. I was convinced I'd buy the shirt but wanted to make sure the band didn't suck so I waited for them to go on. I came back inside in the middle of their first song and was struck right away with how great they sounded.

Link to the shirt here

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

krustster posted:

you son of a piss I thought you were going to say they had a new album :mad:

Unfortunately, as far as I know, they're broken up :(

Another kick rear end track by them - I, The Deceiver http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTonQPg3kOs

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
My friend's band from Nobletucky: http://www.myspace.com/thelifewehad

Its a lil like FTFD only it sounds a bit tougher; every song they have is bouncy as gently caress and pretty catchy too

secondhand dog
Sep 10, 2009

Parachute Underwear posted:

Yeah, I always feel like it never goes anywhere just because the build up doesn't seem worth the result, which is totally not something I would expect from Converge, considering they were able to pull off the same thing on "Grim Heart / Black Rose" well enough.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Unfortunately, as far as I know, they're broken up :(

as the bearer of this news you shall now receive your just reward

:commissar:

Wickacha
Jul 31, 2004
this is where it's at
Another cool band is Stray From the Path. Their new album Make Your Own History came out not too long ago and I have to say it is pretty stellar. The pace of the whole thing is pretty much top speed the entire time. Definitely some really fun guitar work with vocals that mix perfectly. https://www.myspace.com/strayfromthepath if anyone is interested!

Negative and Violent is probably my favourite song up on their myspace, but give all the new ones a shot.

elTeddy
Jun 19, 2004
Where boys fear to tread
I like it. Not generally my thing, but i do.

MalConstant
Mar 16, 2008
Circle Of Contempt's Artifacts in Motion is another fantastic release from Sumerian Records. For those who like Within The Ruins, Born Of Osiris, and Veil of Maya, this is for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQDBnZJuFbQ

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

MalConstant posted:

Circle Of Contempt's Artifacts in Motion is another fantastic release from Sumerian Records. For those who like Within The Ruins, Born Of Osiris, and Veil of Maya, this is for you.

HOLY poo poo :byodood:

Wickacha
Jul 31, 2004
this is where it's at

MalConstant posted:

I'm listening to the album right now, it's so good! The guitar solo at the end of Nothing Imminent is cool, especially the way the synth comes up behind it.

MalConstant
Mar 16, 2008

Wickacha posted:

I'm listening to the album right now, it's so good! The guitar solo at the end of Nothing Imminent is cool, especially the way the synth comes up behind it.

Yeah that song is definitely one of my favorites of the album.

krustster posted:

HOLY poo poo :byodood:

Exactly.

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

Wickacha posted:

That solo is the highlight of the album for me. It just comes out of nowhere and destroys.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

This Circle of Contempt band is playing NYC December 5th. Just might have to check them out. Playing with Winds of Plague, pretty generic Deathcore band with the hot-chick-as-keyboardist thing which is dumb and cliche but I enjoy them.

Cock Soup
Oct 15, 2006

ShoogaSlim posted:

This Circle of Contempt band is playing NYC December 5th. Just might have to check them out. Playing with Winds of Plague, pretty generic Deathcore band with the hot-chick-as-keyboardist thing which is dumb and cliche but I enjoy them.

I love how you bitched everyone on their taste in Metalcore but yet listen to WOP, what I consider to embody everything wrong with the scene.

As for CoC, I don't see what you guys see in them, to me they just sound like a rip-off of early BoO. I've only heard their Ep tho, I might check the album and come back to you.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Cock Soup posted:

I love how you bitched everyone on their taste in Metalcore but yet listen to WOP, what I consider to embody everything wrong with the scene.

Yeah I find that pretty classic too.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

I admitted that they're cliche. And I agree that they can be seen as what's "wrong" with metalcore, but I can't help being into them. Whatever bro's, back up off me.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

ShoogaSlim posted:

I admitted that they're cliche. And I agree that they can be seen as what's "wrong" with metalcore, but I can't help being into them. Whatever bro's, back up off me.

I think the term you're looking for is "lay off a nigga dick"

WoP is useful gym/lifting music for me, it's dumb as hell and aggressive... if that's all I'm looking for, they deliver.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Yeah it's just fun and somewhat goofy hype music. I don't listen to it for the musical complexity or anything. I've heard they suck live though. I want to check them out just once though at least.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

after seeing them live plz inform us who tries harder to be 50 cent, the dude from WOP or Frank from Emmure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Cock Soup posted:

This needs to quoted again.

But anyway, seeing HORSE tonight and for some reason they're opening for Norma Jean. Also there is the Chariot and Arsonists Get All The Girls, so drat you HORSE for getting on lovely tours.