Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

buzzsaw.gif posted:

Is there a good way to get rid of duplicate songs? I just did a clean install and now I find out that I have like 5 copies of everything...it's like 20K songs now :(
I think that in this case you're better of just clearing your library and adding everything again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
Is there a way to make playlists only include full albums? Like I want a smart playlist that contains the 5gb most recently added, but I don't want it to include half an album or a single song from a bunch of albums.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

HammyJ posted:

Sorry about that, I leave the Album field blank. After looking through some other forums, I think I have figured out the problem if any one has a similar issue. On some of the newer software, if you have an artist that only has one album, the ipod will just skip over the intermediate screen between artist and album and go straight to songs. It's supposed to be a convenient feature, but if you have random songs of a certain artist that are unsorted, it does not display them.

This isn't a problem if the artist you are browsing has more than one album because then it will display the ALL feature. But, if you only have one album, you can't just leave the album field blank. You have to put some sort of title on the singles, I just use "-" instead of album names because I don't want the clutter. Then, the Ipod will display the ALL feature and you can now play your singles along with your album.

If this is too confusing, let me know and I'll try and clarify it.
You'd be much better off, IMO, to put the Title of the song into the Album field. I do that for any stray tracks I have, and it will only help to future-proof your library. Try it to see if it works for ya!

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I'm pretty sure there's no way to do this, but I figured I would ask here just in case. I've got XBMC setup and pointed at my music library. To get the crazy cool looking fanart/artist images, though, you have to have a dedicated Artist folder. Right now all of my music is in \Genre\Artist - Album\ format. Everything is tagged in a standard fashion, so actually changing the folder structure is trivial. Just test it with Tag & Rename to make sure it works and let it run.

That's going to completely break our iTunes libraries, though. Since iTunes struggles when adding ALL of my music to the library, I've just been adding the albums I want and using smart playlists to sync them to my phone. My wife does something similar. So if I change the entire folder structure, iTunes won't be able to find those files, and I would have to add them back in.

That isn't a big deal, but I'd like to be able to keep all of my ratings and play count information somehow. Am I just kind of hosed on the ordeal? The actual filenames/tags won't be changing, just the paths.

evensevenone posted:

Is there a way to make playlists only include full albums? Like I want a smart playlist that contains the 5gb most recently added, but I don't want it to include half an album or a single song from a bunch of albums.

Just tested, and it looks like if you use "Limit to 5 GB selected by album" it will pull in the entire album. The only issue I see is that iTunes doesn't know that it isn't the FULL album, so if you have only 2 songs on a particular album it will put both of those in the playlist.

EC fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 18, 2009

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

EC posted:

That's going to completely break our iTunes libraries, though.

If you're OK with letting iTunes deal with your filesystem, you can consolidate your library, and iTunes will move all your stuff to Music/Artist/Album/TrackNum-Discnum Trackname.mp3.

If you were on a Mac, I think you could just move the files and iTunes will magically find them as long as they're on the same hard drive. Try moving just one and see if iTunes finds it. (Move it while iTunes is off!)

Secret_Squirrel
Feb 26, 2004

i'm from Maryland, no one can beat me.
I have a bunch of hour-long DJ mixes I'd like to put in the Podcast directory of my iPod, so I can resume them from the middle if I don't listen to the whole thing at once, but I can't find any way to do that. iTunes only let's me add the mp3 files to the Music directory. Is there a way to manually add things to the Podcast directory?

Apps
Oct 3, 2009

Secret_Squirrel posted:

I have a bunch of hour-long DJ mixes I'd like to put in the Podcast directory of my iPod, so I can resume them from the middle if I don't listen to the whole thing at once, but I can't find any way to do that. iTunes only let's me add the mp3 files to the Music directory. Is there a way to manually add things to the Podcast directory?
I've never actually tried it, but it seems like this should work the same. (Checking remember playback position, but if needed you can set it as a podcast through the same screen)

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

chimz posted:

If you're OK with letting iTunes deal with your filesystem, you can consolidate your library, and iTunes will move all your stuff to Music/Artist/Album/TrackNum-Discnum Trackname.mp3.

If you were on a Mac, I think you could just move the files and iTunes will magically find them as long as they're on the same hard drive. Try moving just one and see if iTunes finds it. (Move it while iTunes is off!)

I'm not sure I'll ever be OK with iTunes having that much control over my library. That plus the fact that it only has about a tenth of my library now due to performance issues scares me away from doing that. I tried moving an album, but iTunes just puts an exclamation mark beside it and goes about it's business.

I wish there was a way to export/import metadata. Or at least sync ratings to the ID3 tags and have iTunes reimport that info. :(

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

EC posted:

I'm not sure I'll ever be OK with iTunes having that much control over my library. That plus the fact that it only has about a tenth of my library now due to performance issues scares me away from doing that. I tried moving an album, but iTunes just puts an exclamation mark beside it and goes about it's business.

I wish there was a way to export/import metadata. Or at least sync ratings to the ID3 tags and have iTunes reimport that info. :(

I have 81,000 songs managed by iTunes. It can deal with it. (It certainly is slow though.)

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Does anyone know why my iTunes would have just emptied its media library? I only use it to sync stuff onto my iPod, and I keep all my media on a seperate drive, so it's no real big deal, but I'm curious why it happened.

One day I had all my playlists, 35 gig of music and some films in there. Shut it down all fine. Open it up a day later, and it's like a brand new pristine installation of iTunes, but, it remembers my app store login details, and still has my applications on there. I only had to re-import all my media and re-sync my iPod (which lost all my ratings), but it did take some time.

I haven't deleted any iTunes related files off the laptop, to the best of my knowledge. Any ideas?

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

EC posted:

If you let Itunes manage it you wont have such problems anymore. You can even point to a specific directory you want Itunes to place all your music. There is no reason not to let it manage the library. Unless you insist on having a specific directory layout i guess.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
And, with iTunes 9, if you "Upgrade to iTunes Media Organization," when consolidating, it will automatically sort media into various subfolders in the iTunes Folder. "Audiobooks," "Movies," "Podcasts," "TV Shows" and subfolder by Artist under those, and by Album under that. TV Shows get sorted by Show, and then by Season.

stripeymonkey
Dec 31, 2006
Fairly new to itunes and I'm wondering whether, if you have several smart playlists synced to an ipod, itunes will only load a song onto the device once even if it's in more than one playlist.

e: and I just noticed discussion re skip count: Apparently, it will only register a skip if it's done between 2-20 secs into the song but someone posted an applescript that will fix this. Is there something similar for Windows?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

stripeymonkey posted:

Fairly new to itunes and I'm wondering whether, if you have several smart playlists synced to an ipod, itunes will only load a song onto the device once even if it's in more than one playlist.
Yep.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

stripeymonkey posted:

e: and I just noticed discussion re skip count: Apparently, it will only register a skip if it's done between 2-20 secs into the song but someone posted an applescript that will fix this. Is there something similar for Windows?

That explains a lot. I was wondering why my library showed such low skip counts for songs.

stripeymonkey
Dec 31, 2006
I'm trying to figure out the benefit of smart playlist folders and what they actually do for me. Can someone lay it out for me simply?

Also, let's say I create two smart playlists based on tags - one for vocals only and one for instrumental (the missus is not keen on instrumentals so this way I can cut them out). Both of these playlists would be too big for my nano.

Now later I want another playlist called "Workout Vocals" which is based on the vocals playlist but has additional criteria such as BPM over 120, not played in last 2 weeks, 60 mins limit etc.

Can I sync only the Workout playlist to the ipod or does it also have to have the master "Vocals" playlist on the device so it can reference it?

e: And one other thing. Is there a setting to remember where you left on in a playlist? I know you can set individual files to remember as it does for a podcasts but what about for a playlist? I should add, I want the ipod to remember. I know smart playlists in itunes can dynamically update to drop listened to tracks but as far as I can tell, smart playlists on the nano don't have that dynamic update feature.

stripeymonkey fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 21, 2009

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
You don't need the "master" playlist on the device. I do this all the time - I create a manual playlist that has the source tracks, and then a smart playlist based on the master that's further filtered, such as my total size, rating, etc.

Click here for the full 738x290 image.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

stripeymonkey posted:

I'm trying to figure out the benefit of smart playlist folders and what they actually do for me. Can someone lay it out for me simply?

I know on the 3rd-generation Nano, they were useful in organizing playlists for ease of access on the unit, if you had a lot of playlists. I also know that the 2nd-generation iPod touch ignores them, which is a bit annoying to me.

quote:

Also, let's say I create two smart playlists based on tags - one for vocals only and one for instrumental (the missus is not keen on instrumentals so this way I can cut them out). Both of these playlists would be too big for my nano.

Now later I want another playlist called "Workout Vocals" which is based on the vocals playlist but has additional criteria such as BPM over 120, not played in last 2 weeks, 60 mins limit etc.

Can I sync only the Workout playlist to the ipod or does it also have to have the master "Vocals" playlist on the device so it can reference it?

You can indeed do this. However, if the playlist is Live-Updating, and references a playlist that is /not/ synched to the nano, it won't update on the nano. Otherwise, if live-updating, should work fine.

Back when I just had a 3rd-Gen Nano (whose Podcast-managing capabilities left much to be desired) I had a bunch of cascading playlists set up to remove podcasts from their playlists after I'd listened to them.

stripeymonkey
Dec 31, 2006

maltesh posted:

You can indeed do this. However, if the playlist is Live-Updating, and references a playlist that is /not/ synched to the nano, it won't update on the nano. Otherwise, if live-updating, should work fine.

Wait, so my nano should live update my playlist that says playcount=0? It seems that when I use it, it only updates once I sync with itunes. What I mean is when I listen to a few songs on my unlistened playlist on the nano, then go out of it, listen to some podcasts etc and then go back in, those same few songs are still listed. If it was live updating, the listened-to songs should drop off.

is this a bug or am I doing something wrong? Itunes 9.01.8 and nano 4th gen

stripeymonkey fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 21, 2009

maltesh
May 20, 2004

As I recall, it should, if the playlist references only playlists that are also on the Nano. I haven't really used my Nano since May, when I bought the Touch, so its battery is dead right now, and can't easily check.

I also think I recall that you would have to menu out of the playlist and come back to it to see the changes in the lineup for the "PlayCount = 0" setup. Generally that wasn't much of an issue in practice. If I'd navigated away, the playlist would show the ones that were still left when I went back to it, and if I hadn't navigated away, the speaker icon would show which one I was currently playing.

DeathFlame
Jan 1, 2008
Couldn't find a good answer to this anywhere. What software (for windows 7) should I use to combine mp3 files? Specifically I'm wanting to turn a bunch of audiobook mp3 files into a single one. Then I'll convert it to m4a, then m4b.

I used to just to convert the 200+ files and add them that way, but it is a huge pain when I want to later figure out what file I am on, especially when they are like 3-4 minute files.

CoderCat
May 7, 2005

Science, it works. :science:

DeathFlame posted:

Couldn't find a good answer to this anywhere. What software (for windows 7) should I use to combine mp3 files? Specifically I'm wanting to turn a bunch of audiobook mp3 files into a single one. Then I'll convert it to m4a, then m4b.

I used to just to convert the 200+ files and add them that way, but it is a huge pain when I want to later figure out what file I am on, especially when they are like 3-4 minute files.

You can concatenate the files into a single mp3 file:
code:
copy /b *.mp3 c:\new.mp3
It's not the cleanest method, but since you are going to convert the resulting file to a different format, it should be OK.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

DeathFlame posted:

I had a rather long process I would use to turn a collection of mp3 files ripped from a cd into a chapterized audiobook. Generally worked okay with XP, but I haven't tried it out with 7 yet. When a friend asked me how I did it, I scribbled down these instructions for him.

--
Okay, so you've got a folder full of mp3 files that are chapters of an audiobook. How do you turn these into an ipod Audiobook?

The following process works with constant-bit-rate MP3 files. If you're using this on variable-bitrate MP3s, it'll fail unless you convert them. It's based on the information acquired here: http://forums.ilounge.com/showthread.php?t=202606

Programs I use:
Shuangs Audio Joiner (or other MP3-joining software)

http://www.download.com/Shuangs-Audio-Joiner/3000-2140_4-10711119.html?tag=mncol

iTunes
Slideshow Assembler.

http://www.slideshowassembler.com/blog/archive/2007/10/23/slideshow-assembler-1.0.5a.aspx

Quicktime Player
A Text Editor.

1. Combine the mp3 files into one audio file with Shuangs Audio Joiner. This will take some time.

2. Add both the original audio files, and the joined file to itunes.

3. Use iTunes to convert the joined file to an AAC file. This will take awhile.

4. Meanwhile, create a playlist that contains the individual chapter mp3 files. I believe it's important that the filenames of the chapter tracks sort in alphabetical order, for proper use by the script in step 6.

5. Right-click on the chapter playlist, and "Export Song List" as an .XML file

6. Run the .XML file through the conversion script at http://www.soundofemotion.com/pod/ (created by user SoundOfEmotion at the aformentioned iLounge board) to convert it to a properly-formatted .pod file

7. Copy the converted AAC Joined file (will have an .m4a extension) into its own folder. Put the .pod file there too, and audiobook cover artwork there as well.

8. Open up the .pod file in a text editor.
"audiofile" must be set to the name of the AAC joined file you made.
"basename" is the name, sans extension of the .m4a file that SSA will eventually create. This cannot be the same name as the "audiofile", or the conversion process will fail.

"artwork" is the album artwork for the collection.
"image" is the individual chapter images. I tend to set them to the same as the album artwork.

"start" is the start point for each chapter. This must have the format 00:00:00.00 or the conversion process will fail. Sometimes the conversion script will leave out the decimal point, but you can put that in manually.

Once you've made the changes required, save the .pod file.

8. Right-click it and open it with SSA Assembler. If everything's formatted properly, Slideshow Assembler will create a new .m4a file named after "basename" . This will also take awhile.

9. I usually then open up "basename.m4a" in Quicktime Player. If things have worked properly the file will have chapters listed in the quicktime window.

See the little menu in the play bar where "Side 8" is listed? That's the chapter menu. I usually start the last chapter playing to make sure everything lines up alright.

10. Close Quicktime. Rename the extension of the file to .m4b.

11. Add the new .m4b file to your iTunes library. It'll pop into your Audiobooks list.
--

At this point, the whole process tends to take me about an hour and a half from start to finish, most of which is assembling the full MP3 file and converting it to AAC. I tend to do it to all the audiobooks I wind up ripping from CD, because navigating through a featureless 16-hour audiobook to find a specific scene is no fun with the click wheel, and only somewhat better with the scrub bar.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Either I'm reading all of this wrong or the directions posted everywhere are just to transfer music.

Here's the situation, all my music and iTunes files are on a secondary HD. This is simply E:\My Music\

I have gone to a new system Hard Drive with Windows 7 and have installed iTunes. I have told it that E:\My Music\ is the folder with all my files. The thing is I don't have any idea how to say like okay just use all my old settings. (And I do have a backup of that iTunes folder from E:\My Music for the record)

Is there a way I can do some magical things and have it load my Library, Ringtones, and Applications and pretty much have a duplicate of how my old iTunes was operating? All I can seem to find is to import a Library Music Playlist, leaving my Apps and Ringtones in the dark.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

THe directions posted almost everywhere are just to transfer music.

Even though you've told iTunes to keep your music library on a separate HD, your apps, and the iTunes Database (which has playcounts and playlist info) are still in the default location, which, assuming the old computer ran XP, is in My Documents\My Music\iTunes

And the actual preferences themselves are in C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes

It's kind of difficult to find a tutorial that spells out everything, so what I've been doing is

a)If you have any DRM content, deauthorize the old computer.

b) Make sure the new drive eltter onf the external drive is the same as it was on the old computer.

c) Install itunes, run it to create the new blank application data and music folders, and quit it, then replace those folders with the versions from the old computer.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

Is there any way to get album artwork on the miniplayer using windows 7? I'm looking for something that looks like the zune miniplayer.

DeathFlame
Jan 1, 2008

DeathFlame posted:

I know a couple people had solutions, but they were much more of a pain in the rear end than using the free Audiobookconverter program:

http://www.freeipodsoftware.com/

Combines multiple mp3's into one file, converts to m4b. Done! Quick and simple, all I wanted.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
This question is perplexing me.

I have two smart playlists that will grab together my favorite podcasts and show me which ones haven't been listened too. One gets all the podcasts I like, the other takes that list and shows me which ones haven't been listened to.

This smart playlist will stop after every track forcing me to start the next one. Which is great! I can go to sleep and not worry that its going to work through every one while I sleep.

I made another smart play list showing me EVERY podcast. This is an independent smart play list unlike the first one. However, this playlist does not stop once a track is complete and continues to the next.

Why is this?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Is there any easy way to do a mass bitrate reduction on my iTunes music library? I'd save over half my collection is over 192 kbps, and I just don't need it any higher than that to be honest... I'm estimating that I could lower my music library's size by 25% if I could get the bitrate lower.

I know how to do it with Adobe Audition or something similar, but that's a lot of tracks to do manually. I'd also love to keep the tag information too, basically a batch compress and replace so I don't have to readd stuff to iTunes or lose my playcounts.

Any ideas?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Astro7x posted:

Is there any easy way to do a mass bitrate reduction on my iTunes music library? I'd save over half my collection is over 192 kbps, and I just don't need it any higher than that to be honest... I'm estimating that I could lower my music library's size by 25% if I could get the bitrate lower.

I know how to do it with Adobe Audition or something similar, but that's a lot of tracks to do manually. I'd also love to keep the tag information too, basically a batch compress and replace so I don't have to readd stuff to iTunes or lose my playcounts.

Any ideas?

I think you should be able to change your import settings to what you want, and then select "Convert selection to mp3". To make things easier on you, make a simple playlist with everything you want to convert, then convert it. Hopefully the new mp3s won't be created in this playlist, but only in the library. The plus side would be that if that is true, you would have a playlist with all the larger bit rates that you would want to delete afterwords, and this method keeps play counts, time, and ranking.

If you wanted to make sure what I said works, I guess you could make the same playlist twice, in case the duplicated, smaller songs are in the same placelist that you selected them from.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Ziploc posted:

This question is perplexing me.

I have two smart playlists that will grab together my favorite podcasts and show me which ones haven't been listened too. One gets all the podcasts I like, the other takes that list and shows me which ones haven't been listened to.

This smart playlist will stop after every track forcing me to start the next one. Which is great! I can go to sleep and not worry that its going to work through every one while I sleep.

I made another smart play list showing me EVERY podcast. This is an independent smart play list unlike the first one. However, this playlist does not stop once a track is complete and continues to the next.

Why is this?

I figured it out. On a smart playlist for podcasts, turning RANDOM on will stop iTunes from moving to the next podcast!

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

IUG posted:

I think you should be able to change your import settings to what you want, and then select "Convert selection to mp3". To make things easier on you, make a simple playlist with everything you want to convert, then convert it. Hopefully the new mp3s won't be created in this playlist, but only in the library. The plus side would be that if that is true, you would have a playlist with all the larger bit rates that you would want to delete afterwords, and this method keeps play counts, time, and ranking.

If you wanted to make sure what I said works, I guess you could make the same playlist twice, in case the duplicated, smaller songs are in the same placelist that you selected them from.

The thing I don't like about this is that it now has renamed the file and put it in the iTunes Media Folder structure which I am not a fan of (I like to keep artist, album, track and song info all in the file name. It makes it easy for burning MP3 Data CDs for my car CD player... another reason for wanting the smaller file size to fit more music on a CD). To rename the file and place it back where it belongs is too much manual work for my liking.

There has gotta be a program then that will just convert, replace the old file, and leave it as that. Manually renaming the file iTunes created, and pasting it over my existing file made the nice and smooth transition I wanted. When iTunes went to play the new song the play count remained, I didn't have to relink it, and it even kept my album art too.

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Nov 25, 2009

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Astro7x posted:

The thing I don't like about this is that it now has renamed the file and put it in the iTunes Media Folder structure which I am not a fan of (I like to keep artist, album, track and song info all in the file name. It makes it easy for burning MP3 Data CDs for my car CD player... another reason for wanting the smaller file size to fit more music on a CD). To rename the file and place it back where it belongs is too much manual work for my liking.

You're already doing more work than you have to. You can burn MP3 CDs straight from iTunes. If your car CD player is stupid and can't handle folders (you seem to imply this) there are ways to make iTunes burn a folderless disc. (The info in that thread may be out of date by now; I don't burn MP3 CDs anymore so I couldn't tell you.)

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Apple is not doing themselves any good in their efforts to get people to install updates to iTunes. I sat down to sync my iPod last night, planning to spend no more than 10 minutes. iTunes wanted to update so I let it. It took 10 minutes to install for no good reason. It then went to 'updating library' for 20 minutes with no option to do anything until it was finished. It then had to 'update' 990 files on my ipod for no loving reason.

I walked away after 45 minutes and let it play with itself over night. Is there any way to tell which updates are going to do stupid poo poo like that?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Choadmaster posted:

You're already doing more work than you have to. You can burn MP3 CDs straight from iTunes. If your car CD player is stupid and can't handle folders (you seem to imply this) there are ways to make iTunes burn a folderless disc. (The info in that thread may be out of date by now; I don't burn MP3 CDs anymore so I couldn't tell you.)

It recognizes folders but doesn't tell me names names of folders. An on the display it puts file names. So having folders by artists names I can't read or a long list of tracks that starts as "01 Song Name" is really inconvenient for me, which is why I prefer to keep all my tracks named as "Artist - Album - Track # - Name"

But I digress... this down-converting and overwriting of the original file can't be that complicated of a task!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Astro7x posted:

Any ideas?
Hard drive space is cheap, I wouldn't bother.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Chris Knight posted:

What the gently caress, did you answer just because you like to type words?

Astro7x posted:

I think you're looking for something like dbPowerAMP, but that's not free software, there's also 4Music's Bit Rate Changer, also not free but cheaper.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
You can convert files straight from iTunes. Right-click and choose "Create [format] Version". Format and bitrate can be changed in Preferences, Import Settings.

wolffenstein fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 25, 2009

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

porktree posted:

What the gently caress, did you answer just because you like to type words?

I think you're looking for something like dbPowerAMP, but that's not free software, there's also 4Music's Bit Rate Changer, also not free but cheaper.

Thank you! I will look into these soon

Chris Knight posted:

It's not just because of where the library is stored, it's about trying to fit more songs on CDs and iPods where the storage size is set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.

Astro7x posted:

Any ideas?

To be honest this is a terrible idea. If you could convert from the original lossless source (CD or FLAC files etc.) that would work well, but converting from a lossy format to another is going to sound crap. You may not be able to hear a big difference depending on your equipment but if you get nice speakers/headphones in the future your entire music library is basically ruined.

That might sound a bit alarmist but I'd strongly advise against doing it. A CD ripped to 128kb AAC is pretty good to my ears, but a 192kb MP3 converted to 128kb AAC loses a lot of quality.