Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Didn't see this here, but those who signed up for Windows 7 RC Feedback Program should be getting their copy of Windows 7 Ultimate Retail sometime after November 24th.

Click here for the full 834x678 image.

I know it doesn't say what it's sending, but the previous e-mail states Windows 7 Ultimate Retail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

I never got any offer like that. I hate how these things don't get given outside the US :(

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

4 Day Weekend posted:

quote:

office 2010 beta stuff
I'd like to know this too.

Available to the public:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/2010/en/download-office-professional-plus/default.aspx

Lord Sandwich
Nov 5, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
When doing a clean installation, is the Documents folder copied to the Windows.old directory created by the installation?

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Oh drat it. Is office mobile only on windows phones? I would love to have some office documents on my phone, but I have an iPhone.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Outlook is pretty fricken awesome. Threaded messages.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 19, 2009

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Drox posted:

Oh drat it. Is office mobile only on windows phones? I would love to have some office documents on my phone, but I have an iPhone.

Yes but there is Documents to Go for the iPhone/iTouch.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

incoherent posted:

Outlook is pretty fricken awesome. Threaded messages.
bah, HATE that it groups messages. When I try to open a message I want it to open, not scroll a list of similar messages.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

gariig posted:

Yes but there is Documents to Go for the iPhone/iTouch.

Oh, thanks!

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Is there a way to get HD-DVD playback in Windows 7 in any form? I've tried all the codec packs to no avail - CCCP, Win7Codecs, VLC, and I get nothin'.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Gyshall posted:

Is there a way to get HD-DVD playback in Windows 7 in any form? I've tried all the codec packs to no avail - CCCP, Win7Codecs, VLC, and I get nothin'.

You mean actualy HD-DVDs? You need playback software, codecs only decode the video, they can't process menus.

Arcsoft Totalmedia Theater is the only one I know that still supports it - I think PowerDVD dropped HDDVD support a few months ago.

JesusB
Sep 25, 2007

CHIBI JESUS AND THE FOREST OF LUVVVV!!1!
Anyone know if X-Com works with Windows 7?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

JesusB posted:

If no one's answered this by the time I get home, I'll install it off of Steam and give it a go.

Iblys
Sep 23, 2003

gay for iBag....i mean, disconnect and self-destruct one bullet at a time...

4 Day Weekend posted:

I'd like to know this too.

Available to the public:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/2010/en/download-office-professional-plus/default.aspx
[/quote]

No Visio?

edit: Hurf - googles.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/results.aspx?pocId=&freetext=Visio%20Premium%202010&DisplayLang=en

Iblys fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Nov 19, 2009

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

JesusB posted:

It runs fine in DOSBox (assuming the DOS version). If DOSBox works in 7, it should be fine. They say DOSBox is 95% compatible with Vista 32 and 64.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006
So I just got around to installing windows 7 64bit, it installed fine at first but then I started getting totally random bsods, one which told me that I had a hardware failure (it was referring to my RAM). Little did I know that with some motherboards, if you install Windows 7 with more than 2gb of RAM it can totally freak it out for some reason. It got to the point where I couldn't even boot from DVD to repair it, it just sat there taunting me with "Windows is starting" while I sat drooling staring at the screen for about 10 minutes or so.

Anyway, took one stick of RAM out, formatted the drive and it is installing without a hitch. Apparently this can be a problem with older motherboards?

My question is once it has fully installed and updated will it then be ok to put back the perfectly fine stick of RAM? I assume it is just the initial Windows 7 install that was wobbly with 4gb.

edit: nevermind, the answer is yes. :downsgun:

Holy Cheese fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 19, 2009

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I've been using Office 2010 since yesterday and it's a pretty slick upgrade from 07. Is there a list of huge changes to it?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
This may not be the best place to post this, but eh, whatever. Any chance anybody here knows how to get the USB ports on my Apple Cinema Display to be usable in Windows 7 x64? I've always used WinACD in the past, but apparently it's 32-bit only. I've searched and searched but can't find drivers anywhere. It's not that big of a deal, but it sure is nice having those ports work.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Dyscrasia posted:

It runs fine in DOSBox (assuming the DOS version). If DOSBox works in 7, it should be fine. They say DOSBox is 95% compatible with Vista 32 and 64.

I haven't updated to the final version, but DOSBox runs fine for what I've been using it for in the 7 RC.

Not Memorable
Jul 25, 2004

You are the single most important person in the universe.
I'm guessing the answer is no but is there a way to make the mixer pop-up instead of just the speaker volume when clicking on the volume icon? Or can I make a shortcut down there to the mixer?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Joe Don Baker posted:

I've been using Office 2010 since yesterday and it's a pretty slick upgrade from 07. Is there a list of huge changes to it?

Have you noticed that it's possible to customize the ribbon yet? I'd say that's the best change.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

fishmech posted:

Have you noticed that it's possible to customize the ribbon yet? I'd say that's the best change.

I'm waiting for the Beta to download (gently caress that java download manger), but I really liked the Office Button that replaced the orb in the tech preview. That was loving sweet to have all of your options laid out on a screen. The print preview stuff is really nice. Makes me sad I have to use Office XP at work. :(

This is called "Backstage View" apparently.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 20, 2009

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
I've been using remote desktop from linux (using rdesktop) to get on to my W7 computer at home, and it's been working flawlessly. One click to activate remote desktop on the computer, and a quick port forward to my computer from the router and I was all set to go!

When does the Office beta end?

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Nov 20, 2009

205b
Mar 25, 2007

Not Memorable posted:

I'm guessing the answer is no but is there a way to make the mixer pop-up instead of just the speaker volume when clicking on the volume icon? Or can I make a shortcut down there to the mixer?

You could probably make your own program with a tray icon that opened the mixer directly, but that seems like a lot of effort to avoid one extra click.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009
Regarding 2010, just tried installing this morning and the tech preview didn't want to uninstall. Something about the install missing a file or some such. I tried using the Windows Install Cleanup tool, which removed it (apparently) and at the end of installation it just says 'office has encountered a problem during installation'.

Shinryu
May 6, 2004

by Tiny Fistpump

4 Day Weekend posted:

Regarding 2010, just tried installing this morning and the tech preview didn't want to uninstall. Something about the install missing a file or some such. I tried using the Windows Install Cleanup tool, which removed it (apparently) and at the end of installation it just says 'office has encountered a problem during installation'.

Wasn't there something about the earlier versions of 2010 that made them drat near impossible to uninstall?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Joe Don Baker posted:

All of the applications take advantage of the GPU to offload rendering is another biggie.

The only thing I did not like was the fact there is a systray icon when it lives on the superbar.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Sylink posted:

I've just installed Win 7 and I like it.

However, if I have multiple windows for a program it nests them which is often useful. Sometimes I would like it not to do this, like if I have multiple pdfs I want to see them all like you might in say XP and not have to go into the nested menu structure.

Is there a way to expand the window tree?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

incoherent posted:

All of the applications take advantage of the GPU to offload rendering is another biggie.

The only thing I did not like was the fact there is a systray icon when it lives on the superbar.
What, the send-a-smile thing? You can kill that by deleting the shortcut in the start-menu startup folder.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

4 Day Weekend posted:

This is annoying me too. Especially since I have the tech preview installed in my system image I spent 2 days getting setup. Grrr.....

edit: gently caress I meant to copy/paste edit this into my last post. :(

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009
Did you happen to find a fix? I'm seriously thinking of just reformatting. 2010 Tech Preview doesn't want to install either. Fortunately my uni year is finished so I won't have to use it for while, but still.

Aircraft
Nov 2, 2007

I just bought the student discount version, but I'm having trouble extracting the installation files. I've downloaded it four times already using the Digital River download manager (DLMWin7HP64US.exe), ending up with a total of 3 files (setup1.box, setup2.box, and Win7-HP-Retail-en-us-x64.exe). I run the executable, but in the middle of "preparing setup1.box", it pops up with an "unspecified error." I've tried everything, running as admin, clearing read-only, setting permissions etc. but to no avail. I'm running Vista X64 HP and I'm trying to upgrade to Win7 X64 HP.

Google reveals that its a common issue, but mostly for people attempting to upgrade from X32 to X64. Microsoft suggests that its a corrupted download, but then again I've downloaded it four times already. Oh by the way did I mention that the download isn't an .iso, but rather a two ".box" files with an executable just to unzip them?? and when you try to unzip it it goes "unpacking the box" its kinda cute!! I've followed online directions to create a bootable usb drive, but the boot image is missing some files, which isn't surprising since the thing wouldnt extract in the first place. Thankfully I ordered a backup DVDR disk, but its gonna take a while to arrive.

Anyways, has anyone else had this problem, and managed to solve this without creating my own DVDR or using torrents? I've just used my last spare DVDRs as coasters, and I know someones gonna suggest downloading that poo poo but I just wanna say that I'm well aware of that already, please don't tell me i have to pirate a program that i paid moeny for because the publishers wont provide a usable file format ughf;ldadsfdflgjfd

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Where do I go for the "About Windows" window?
Not the "View Basic Information" one, I mean the one in the first 3 results for "Windows 7 about"

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

The Merkinman posted:

Where do I go for the "About Windows" window?
Not the "View Basic Information" one, I mean the one in the first 3 results for "Windows 7 about"

Type winver into the start search.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Type winver into the start search.

There we are! Thanks

Guerrand
Mar 12, 2006

RING RING RING RING RING RING

Aircraft posted:

I just bought the student discount version, but I'm having trouble extracting the installation files. :words:

http://lifehacker.com/5391688/iso-downloads-and-fixes-for-windows-7-student-download
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/11/10/windows-7-iso-x86-and-x64-official-direct-download-links-ultimate-professional-and-home-premium/

Guerrand fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 20, 2009

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

4 Day Weekend posted:

Did you happen to find a fix? I'm seriously thinking of just reformatting. 2010 Tech Preview doesn't want to install either. Fortunately my uni year is finished so I won't have to use it for while, but still.

edit: er crap, I completely missed your initial post stating your issue is a missing file, this page seems to think that it's a setup.xml issue, and gives the paths you need to replace it:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/office2010general/thread/0534c0fb-7d1f-49e4-b877-949ad8cd0bb7

What ended up working for me was downloading this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301/

Going through the list I noticed it listed something like "Microsoft Office 2010 Mondo" and uninstalling it via that cleanup util seemed to do the trick and I was able to install the latest public beta without issue.

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 20, 2009

Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

Phenwah fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 5, 2023

FSLink
Nov 6, 2009

Footboy posted:

To those running the Office 2010 preview: I'm currently running the Office H&S 2007 trial, which expires at the end of January 2010. At this point in time, would I be better off buying an Office H&S 2007 license, or should I hold off and wait for 2010?

Well the Office 2010 beta expires on October 2010, so you could download that and still have Office when your Office H&S trial expires.
Personally I like Office 2010, but I don't notice much of a difference between it and 2007. The best part is definitely OneNote + Outlook getting Ribbon interfaces and the faster boot time for the programs.
I say might as well wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Footboy posted:

To those running the Office 2010 preview: I'm currently running the Office H&S 2007 trial, which expires at the end of January 2010. At this point in time, would I be better off buying an Office H&S 2007 license, or should I hold off and wait for 2010?

Office 2010 should be out a few months before the 2010 beta expires. I'd run 2010 beta until retail is out.