Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Korvax
May 12, 2008

troll for dollars posted:

This is kind of an odd question, but I wanted to pick up a few Criterions just to broaden my horizons cinematically. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for things they've put out that are horror or thriller/suspense in nature. I picked up Repulsion because bizarrely my local Hastings had it for sale. I'm thinking Vampyre, but I was wondering if there was anything else you guys might recommend.

Might I also suggest Diabolique, it's one of my favorites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Haxan is awesome. Not exactly a horror movie, but it's drat scary for the most part... and hilarious at others.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Macrame_God posted:

There's also a Monsters and Madmen boxed set out there, but I haven't seen any of the films on it yet.

I would not recommend it. First Man Into Space and Corridors of Blood are decent, but not great, and the other two are just weak. Not even fun in a campy way.

Some horror/thriller/suspense not yet mentioned that I like:

Onibaba
Carnival of Souls
Eyes Without a Face
The 39 Steps
The Lady Vanishes
Vengeance Is Mine
Clean, Shaven
M
The Testament of Dr. Mabuse
Knife in the Water
The Last Wave

No. 1 Space Babe
Jun 16, 2006

i feel good about liverpool fc

Macrame_God posted:

Harrumph. Well I liked it. :colbert:

The beautiful thing about this world is that everyone likes different things. Spread your wings and enjoy life, you beautiful butterfly.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I'll second Peeping Tom, it's totally brilliant and amazing and wonderful in every possible way.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I'll second Peeping Tom, it's totally brilliant and amazing and wonderful in every possible way.

I saw it for the first time a few nights ago and I saw surprised at how engrossing it was. Sad that it was panned by the critics. I guess audiences weren't ready for it in 1960. :(

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

I emailed Criterion about my missing essay from my Brazil 3 Disc (which I didn't even buy off their site) and they are sending me a free one :) thanks criterion :):):):)

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

The Lucas posted:

I emailed Criterion about my missing essay from my Brazil 3 Disc (which I didn't even buy off their site) and they are sending me a free one :) thanks criterion :):):):)

Holy crap... are you me?!

quote:

Hi [zenintrude],

Thank you for writing in!

I'm sorry to hear that your copy BRAZIL was missing the insert featuring the essay written by Jack Matthews and I'd be happy to send you a replacement insert. Could you please reply with your mailing address?

I hope this is helpful and thank you for supporting Criterion!

Best,

Jon Mulvaney

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

zenintrude posted:

Holy crap... are you me?!

I got pretty much the exact same email. This must have been a small problem or something.

azechiel
Mar 16, 2009
I just picked up the one disc of Brazil to replace my old old first disc of my three disc set (it had begun to oxidize and wouldn't play part of the movie anyway). I also got The Passion of Joan of Arc, The Complete Monterey Pop Festival, and Wings of Desire. With membership discount and the coupon from this thread, at Barnes and Noble, these all cost me less than 90, when they retail (with tax) for somewhere over 200. :)

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!

"Criterion's Facebook posted:

Robert Pattinson Interview for New Moon (Glamour.com UK)
Source: https://www.glamourmagazine.co.uk

"What do you want for Christmas?" "What do I want? I want the entire Criterion collection if anyone feels like sending me one."

Queue 'sperg rage on the Criterion Facebook.

Part of me hopes some crazy rich teen girl actually buys the whole collection, not knowing what it is, and sends it to him.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Friedpundit posted:

Part of me hopes some crazy rich teen girl actually buys the whole collection, not knowing what it is, and sends it to him.

I like Robert Pattinson, if only because he hates Twilight and all its fans.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Friedpundit posted:

I knew that kid had good taste. :)

No. 1 Space Babe
Jun 16, 2006

I hope this means that Twilight will be getting a Criterion release. Oh Edward... :allears:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Masters of Cinema is releasing House "early 2010" on DVD and BluRay. So, I guess the Criterion will be around the same time. MoC also has M coming in February (DVD/Blu).

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Well, my copy of Nights of Cabiria has yet to ship yet and I bought it at the beginning of the sale. I'm starting to think I've been had. :(

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello

Egbert Souse posted:

Masters of Cinema is releasing House "early 2010" on DVD and BluRay. So, I guess the Criterion will be around the same time. MoC also has M coming in February (DVD/Blu).

There's something odd about that film becoming part of the "institutionalized" realm of film appreciation that Criterion and MoC (and the accompanying internet discourse) have been cultivating.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Macrame_God posted:

Well, my copy of Nights of Cabiria has yet to ship yet and I bought it at the beginning of the sale. I'm starting to think I've been had. :(

Well, they haven't charged me yet and they can't until it ships. We'll just have to see what happens by Nov. 30th.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

vertov posted:

There's something odd about that film becoming part of the "institutionalized" realm of film appreciation that Criterion and MoC (and the accompanying internet discourse) have been cultivating.

What's odd most of all is that it's not a very good movie. I know a lot of people seem pretty hyped about it (or are hyping it) in the thread, but while it's goofy, and has some very interesting parts, for the whole I thought the movie was a mess... in a bad way. Criterion is releasing "Hausu" and yet the work of Naruse hasn't made any appearance whatsoever. In my eyes there's something wrong with that.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

zandert33 posted:

Criterion is releasing "Hausu" and yet the work of Naruse hasn't made any appearance whatsoever.

They did release When a Woman Ascends the Stairs. I agree they ought to be releasing more Naruse, though. I'm sure it will come, it's one of their most frequent requests.

I was entirely ready to rip Hausu to shreds before I saw it, my kneejerk reaction to any film with so much hyperbolic praise is skepticism. But it completely won me over.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

They did release When a Woman Ascends the Stairs. I agree they ought to be releasing more Naruse, though. I'm sure it will come, it's one of their most frequent requests.

I was entirely ready to rip Hausu to shreds before I saw it, my kneejerk reaction to any film with so much hyperbolic praise is skepticism. But it completely won me over.

You know what, I have "When a Woman..." and totally forgot it was Naruse, for some reason I had in my mind that Mizoguchi made it.

Anyways... "Hausu"... grr...

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

vertov posted:

I think as much as we want to hoist up Criterion as paragons of cinematic taste (whatever that means), at the end of the day, they are still a commercial entity and it appears that the mythologizing the film has received is going to lead to a lot of sales.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Mr. Hulot's Holiday is about to go on tour with new 35mm prints... from a brand new digital restoration!
http://www.janusfilms.com/hulot/

It's coming to Atlanta in February. :woop:

Also:

The Criterion Collection Today will be a day of one word answers until we catch up on all the questions on our wall.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

Mr. Hulot's Holiday is about to go on tour with new 35mm prints... from a brand new digital restoration!

Sweet. I saw Trafic for the first time the other week and it was a very charming picture.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Macrame_God posted:

Sweet. I saw Trafic for the first time the other week and it was a very charming picture.

Really? I ought to bump it on my queue. There's a few excerpts on the Playtime BD in one of the documentaries. No idea of the context, but the nose picking sequence is hilarious.

No. 1 Space Babe
Jun 16, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

This is awesome! I live in Charleston but I think I may have to take a road trip.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

Really? I ought to bump it on my queue. There's a few excerpts on the Playtime BD in one of the documentaries. No idea of the context, but the nose picking sequence is hilarious.

It's a very casual comedy about Mr. Hulot and his colleagues trying to get an outlandishly decked out camping vehicle to a car convention and all the ridiculously bad things that happen to them on the way there. It's a very visual comedy. In America, we're big on comedy where people say things that are funny but in France, from what I can tell, they prefer comedy more oriented on visual gags.

Cute film.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Trafic has some good gags, but it's easily the worst of the Hulot films.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

FitFortDanga posted:

Trafic has some good gags, but it's easily the worst of the Hulot films.

I thought it was incredibly depressing, not only because Hulot fails completely at everything he does but you get the feeling that Tati is struggling to make the film work, and he fails.

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello

Mike_V posted:

I think as much as we want to hoist up Criterion as paragons of cinematic taste (whatever that means), at the end of the day, they are still a commercial entity and it appears that the mythologizing the film has received is going to lead to a lot of sales.

I actually think they have rather dull, predictable taste (particularly in regard to Japan), which is one of the reasons why I'm surprised they're planning on releasing something like House. That kind of film would have made more sense for them four or more years ago (if there is a "logic" to the kinds of films they select), but lately they seem more interested in refining the "canon" than expanding it. One of the results of that practice is that what is financially viable becomes incredibly limited (i.e. no audience for non-humanist, non-auteur films), so they've basically painted themselves into a corner. The ever-shrinking list of films that they have access to on DVD only compounds that issue, and is one of the reasons why there are so many re-releases and re-packagings. I do feel that Criterion is treated as "taste makers" though, and I think they contribute to the continued emphasis on prestigious, auteur-driven cinema that haunts internet film culture.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

vertov posted:

I actually think they have rather dull, predictable taste (particularly in regard to Japan), which is one of the reasons why I'm surprised they're planning on releasing something like House. That kind of film would have made more sense for them four or more years ago (if there is a "logic" to the kinds of films they select), but lately they seem more interested in refining the "canon" than expanding it. One of the results of that practice is that what is financially viable becomes incredibly limited (i.e. no audience for non-humanist, non-auteur films), so they've basically painted themselves into a corner. The ever-shrinking list of films that they have access to on DVD only compounds that issue, and is one of the reasons why there are so many re-releases and re-packagings. I do feel that Criterion is treated as "taste makers" though, and I think they contribute to the continued emphasis on prestigious, auteur-driven cinema that haunts internet film culture.

I agree, but I also think there's an element of retrospective backlash here. Something I see a lot of (especially at cf.org) is that a movie's only hip until Criterion releases it, then it's "ho hum, another predictable canonical release". Ozu is considered old hat now, but how many people were really familiar with him 10 years ago? And to a degree, stuff like Exterminating Angel and Jeanne Dielman and The Human Condition is indicative of "dull, predictable taste", but the fact that they weren't available in region 1 was a tragedy. And who better to release them than a company that 1) puts the utmost care into their product and 2) has a lot of brand recognition with people who are just discovering this stuff?

I think in general they do a pretty good job of balancing between "refining" the canon and "expanding" the canon. Yes, the past year has involved a lot of playing it safe, but there is an economic crisis going on, but they do take some chances with the Eclipse line, and the occasional oddball like Fanfan la Tulipe (admittedly a lousy film, but who would have seen it coming?) and the Painleve set.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Have they said anything about actually releasing 3rd World Cinema and not just platitudes? I'd really like to see some African offerings.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

vertov posted:

I do feel that Criterion is treated as "taste makers" though, and I think they contribute to the continued emphasis on prestigious, auteur-driven cinema that haunts internet film culture.
I strongly agree. It's interesting how much the tone and content of the conversation among film snobblers now tracks the publishing practises of houses like Criterion and Masters of Cinema in the same way it used to track critics like Kael or the opinions of individual directors like Godard or Scorsese.

It also seems like this distortion is broader than it used to be. Perhaps this is just biased personal perception or perhaps it's due to changes in the industry at large, but it also feels like the trends in what Criterion is doing influences what's likely to be playing on your average arthouse screen as well. Once upon a time it felt like you could drive in a hundred mile radius and hit a dozen arthouses with a dozen different biases/editorial positions/whatever you want to call it. Nowadays it feels like arthouses are nearly as homogenous amongst themselves as your average shoebox gigaplexes are.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Macrame_God posted:

B&N had told me my copy would be shipping December 1st so maybe it's around that time for everyone else. They probably needed to getting to get all their copies together anyway due to it being OOP.

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello

FitFortDanga posted:

Ozu is considered old hat now, but how many people were really familiar with him 10 years ago?

I haven't visited the site in years, but I can't believe for a second that the cf.org people aren't still fanatically obsessed with Ozu. They practically have Ozu-appreciation police on that site. One of the reasons why I stopped visiting that site was because of the lack of tolerance for anything but the "party line" and the constant bickering over petty poo poo.

Although I do generally agree with what you're saying. Criterion does still releases some interesting stuff, and they generally make the best English-friendly editions available. However, at the same time I have to say I haven't bought one of their DVDs since If...., which I think was two, maybe even three years ago.

SubG posted:

Once upon a time it felt like you could drive in a hundred mile radius and hit a dozen arthouses with a dozen different biases/editorial positions/whatever you want to call it. Nowadays it feels like arthouses are nearly as homogenous amongst themselves as your average shoebox gigaplexes are.

I feel the same way. I wonder if it's because the art-film circuit has adopted the same model as Hollywood (that of everything being owned by the same group of people), but on a smaller scale. For example, Criterion and Janus, while always having a strong relationship, have become practically indistinct now. Is Janus just there to promote the eventual DVD of film X? They also seem to have relationships with particular venues in each major metro-area, so these films always play at the same place. It seems like it's become more deliberate and targeted than it was in the past.

GonzoIsKing
Sep 26, 2004
So I ordered:

Wages of Fear
Le Cercle Rouge
Rififi

Then I thought I was done but I ended up getting:

The Passion of Joan of Arc
La Haine

I want to get one more.I want something unlike anything else I have...any suggestions(not Godard)?

this is my criterion collection:
http://gonzoisking.dvdaf.com/owned/criterion

Thanks in advance.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

SubG posted:

I strongly agree. It's interesting how much the tone and content of the conversation among film snobblers now tracks the publishing practises of houses like Criterion and Masters of Cinema in the same way it used to track critics like Kael or the opinions of individual directors like Godard or Scorsese.

It also seems like this distortion is broader than it used to be. Perhaps this is just biased personal perception or perhaps it's due to changes in the industry at large, but it also feels like the trends in what Criterion is doing influences what's likely to be playing on your average arthouse screen as well. Once upon a time it felt like you could drive in a hundred mile radius and hit a dozen arthouses with a dozen different biases/editorial positions/whatever you want to call it. Nowadays it feels like arthouses are nearly as homogenous amongst themselves as your average shoebox gigaplexes are.

I think it's self reflexive, as Criterion has become the Janus Films (and sort of 1970s New Line Cinema) of home video. Theatrical re-release and revival runs aren't common anymore, so home presentation is the next best thing. While taking film classes, a big percentage of screenings were via Criterion discs. They're not influencing outside of presentation quality, but rather acting as a quality distributor of important films.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

I think it's self reflexive, as Criterion has become the Janus Films (and sort of 1970s New Line Cinema) of home video. Theatrical re-release and revival runs aren't common anymore, so home presentation is the next best thing. While taking film classes, a big percentage of screenings were via Criterion discs. They're not influencing outside of presentation quality, but rather acting as a quality distributor of important films.

You talk about institutionalized film classes and using these DVDs, but aren't we seeing an expansion of film education and film culture into the home with the extra material included on the DVDs (especially things like Criterion?). I think that is one benefit of Criterion (regardless of what you think about their influence on the canon) and there's a pretty good essay by Alison Trope in "Inventing Film Studies" about the role DVDs and home entertainment have played in re-situating film culture back into non-academic society, where it was before the shuffling of film studies into the cloistered realm of academia by the increasing focus on huge and comprehensive books in the early 1980s. And I don't mean to imply that the content included on these DVDs is sufficient to replace institutionalized study, just that it is a democratizing agent.

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello

zandert33 posted:

What's odd most of all is that it's not a very good movie. I know a lot of people seem pretty hyped about it (or are hyping it) in the thread, but while it's goofy, and has some very interesting parts, for the whole I thought the movie was a mess... in a bad way. Criterion is releasing "Hausu" and yet the work of Naruse hasn't made any appearance whatsoever. In my eyes there's something wrong with that.

I actually don't expect to see any more Naruse films on DVD. The critical chatter surrounding his films during the retrospective and the way his films were introduced on DVD seemed to kill interest off very quickly. Almost every review or summary of his films tried to promote his work as "equal to Ozu or Mizoguchi" or that of "another grand master of Japanese cinema." The problem with that rhetoric was that it relied too heavily on comparisons to more formally rigorous directors, and Naruse's films don't really deliver that kind of experience; there was an implicit acknowledgment that Naruse was (by that standard) an inferior director. The critics failed to discern what was interesting about those films, so they never found the right audience.

Similarly, the overlap between the films being released by different companies (Criterion, MoC, BFI) was too similar, and given how region-free the market for non-American films has become, that kind of redundancy stifled interest before it could really develop. Criterion really should have picked a film other than Woman for their first release, or at least done two films simultaneously as they have in the past when introducing a filmmaker in order to introduce some incentive or variety. The way it was handled just felt too obligatory. Katie Russell's book was also delayed way too long.

Mike_V posted:

You talk about institutionalized film classes and using these DVDs, but aren't we seeing an expansion of film education and film culture into the home with the extra material included on the DVDs (especially things like Criterion?). I think that is one benefit of Criterion (regardless of what you think about their influence on the canon) and there's a pretty good essay by Alison Trope in "Inventing Film Studies" about the role DVDs and home entertainment have played in re-situating film culture back into non-academic society, where it was before the shuffling of film studies into the cloistered realm of academia by the increasing focus on huge and comprehensive books in the early 1980s. And I don't mean to imply that the content included on these DVDs is sufficient to replace institutionalized study, just that it is a democratizing agent.

This is an interesting point, although I wonder if DVD has produced a more serious engagement with films and their history or if it has just provided another outlet for collecting things. Do people really watch the special features on DVDs? I don't know if there's anyway to research this in a productive way, but I have always heard that the interest in special editions was motivated more by a compulsion for completeness than an interest in knowing more about the film (hence the "double dipping" for new editions that really don't offer anything new). However, non-academic film culture does seem to have found a sense of uniformity within the past few years, which is probably due to a combination of DVD availability and the internet as an outlet for discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

Question: Is The Complete Monterey Pop Festival basically just Monterey Pop and Jimi Plays... packaged together? If you were to buy the sets separately you wouldn't be missing out on anything, right?