Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meatsplosion
Oct 25, 2006

+3 Meat Elemental

h_double posted:

This is something to check I guess, but it shouldn't make a very noticeable difference, and there are plenty of reasons to mix at a higher rate/depth than the final target (greater headroom, less distortion in effects processing, etc.)

Also it's bit depth and sample rate, not the other way around. :science:
Well the issue isn't mixing at a different bit depth than the final target, but how he gets there. If he renders at the same bit depth and sample rate that he's monitoring at and then converts the sample type, the results would be more consistent. Rendering at a different resolution ends up throwing the dynamic range out of whack and definitely has a large (although somewhat subtle) effect on the sound of software synths.

I'd also make sure your samplers, drum machines and audio tracks are set to play back at the highest quality available when you are mixing down, rather than playing everything back in 'Draft' quality or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Meatsplosion posted:

Well the issue isn't mixing at a different bit depth than the final target, but how he gets there. If he renders at the same bit depth and sample rate that he's monitoring at and then converts the sample type, the results would be more consistent. Rendering at a different resolution ends up throwing the dynamic range out of whack and definitely has a large (although somewhat subtle) effect on the sound of software synths.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. If you record your track at, say, 24 bit/88kHz and then convert down to 16 bit/44kHz, it shouldn't make any difference whether you do the conversion with Live's export, or with some other software that uses POW-r dithering.

I have seen some softsynths which don't always react well with different sample rates, but I'm not quite sure what you mean about "throwing the dynamic range out whack".

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop
new jammin

http://soundcloud.com/tommiesunshine/tits-clits-pillpoppa-tommie-sunshine-turbo-p-brooklyn-fire-remix

;)

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Madness. Absolutely loving that dirty gated synth with the rising Fc around 3-4 minutes.

ZeldaLeft
Oct 15, 2004
Waiting in the mirrors of the Hotel Lobby
Im having an insane amount of difficulty mapping my midi controllers (two xone 1ds and a korg nanopad) to FL studio and its varying VSTs (namely omnisphere) so that the VSTs can be played live and I can use the playlist sequencer to build tracks. I can get FL studio to recognize the controllers, but it assigns notes to all the buttons (i guess FLS thinks its a keyboard?) and I cant figure out how to get the knobs and faders working at all.

My limited knowledge of midi comes from using Traktor Scratch pro, and programming my controllers with that. do I need to get an 3rd party midi mapper or something?

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Right click the knob/fader you want to set, select link to controller, and then use/move/twist the midi controller's knob you want assigned.

You can also press the plugin button on your vst, click browse parameters. It will pull up a list of parameters from the vst that can be assigned to your controller. Then right click parameter, link, move knob.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

A challenger appears!

xpander
Sep 2, 2004

mezzir posted:

A challenger appears!

Holy poo poo is this ever fun. Nothing but praise. I like that plucked bass, gives it just the right amount of funk.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:

I would like to point out that all of you fuckers posting awesome electro in this thread have caused me to spend a lot of money with iTunes in the last little while. Bastards.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...
I just whipped this up over the past couple days in Reason, can I get some feedback? sort of a laid back piece.

It's only mastered for headphones right now, not on a monitor or anything, so it might sound out of whack on speakers.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Oiled and Ready posted:

I just whipped this up over the past couple days in Reason, can I get some feedback? sort of a laid back piece.

It's only mastered for headphones right now, not on a monitor or anything, so it might sound out of whack on speakers.

I like almost everything about this. The GM clarinet / single-triangle / whatever uninspired placeholder-sounding synth is used for the periodic lead interjections is really boring though - replace it with something cooler and this will be, as a whole, much cooler. IMHO.

edit: made less negative (it was unintentional I swear)

HandlingByJebus fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 21, 2009

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

New project....possibly going to try to learn to sing and more importantly get better at recording vocals

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

mezzir posted:

New project....possibly going to try to learn to sing and more importantly get better at recording vocals

Haha, this is fun. It's like 80's pop mixed with modern autotuned to gently caress music. It's catchy as hell.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Does anyone know of any good house/electro production forums?

This thread is a great resource, but I'd love to find some other forums to browse.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

moron posted:

Does anyone know of any good house/electro production forums?

If you want to get any music done, don't do this.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Yoozer posted:

True, but that said KVR's worth bookmarking in case you need something figured out, gone there to lurk a good number of times.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
http://www.warehousedisco.com/Warehouse%20-%20No%20Funk.mp3

This is a rough draft but it's pretty much laid out - ear fatigue was setting in but most of the sequencing is done and we need to make some small tweaks before it goes final

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Yoozer posted:

hahahaha truer words have never been spoken

a small network of likeminded friends, communicating via IM would probably help you alot more. For feedback and random gear discussion I mean.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Seriously, we should just get an IM list somewhere for all us regulars, and say that by signing up you still retain full rights to completely ignore people and pretend you're not there
oh or also is there still #ml somewhere?

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
every time irc is invoked it devolves into an idling convention. and irc is probably worse than forums anyway, when it comes to destroying time that can be spent actually doing poo poo.

down for an IM list tho, my aim is in my profile. got a few ML regulars to taunt and harass.

I will ignore your lovely electro house and dubstep projects with ease.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

I will ignore your lovely electro house and dubstep projects with ease.

Ahem. :nyd:

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Yoozer posted:

hahahaha

Yeah you're absolutely right actually. I spend far too much time reading terrible forums like tranceaddict as it is....i really don't need another to distract me.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

moron posted:

hahahaha

Yeah you're absolutely right actually. I spend far too much time reading terrible forums like tranceaddict as it is....i really don't need another to distract me.

Hey man, easy on tranceaddict :mad: (tranceaddict pretty much exclusively sucks except for the chill out room which has nothing to do with trance)

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
the tracklist section is pretty usefull at times.

9b817f5
Nov 1, 2007

weeps quietly in binary
Corpus in live 8 is my new favorite thing in the world. It's so hilariously easy to make basses just sound bumpin' with it.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I finished another track tonight :)
2/3 done. I'm making an deep house/minimal cross e.p called glory, shame & regrets.

http://soundcloud.com/downpour/shame
Feedback is most welcome!

xpander
Sep 2, 2004
My first solo production, done entirely in Ableton with no plugins except for a maximizer for mastering:

http://booster.angryhosting.com/demo/vincible.mp3

I'd like commentary on the mix and the overall feel of the track. I have a couple more parts I've been playing with that I'm going to add, to remove a bit of the monotony. I blew through this in 8 hours before going to a party, so I just tried to cram it into a listenable package before leaving. This is dark-ish prog house.

xpander fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Nov 25, 2009

goatmouth
Oct 24, 2005

:respek::respek::respek::respek::respek::respek::respek:
Soon Mr. Moon will be shining bright so the best day ever will last all night.

cubicle gangster posted:

2/3 done. I'm making an deep house/minimal cross e.p called glory, shame & regrets.

I realllly like this song. It definitely has a nice minimal feel to it. You know how to put a song together. The only issue I have with it is that you might be overusing the sound that comes in around 3:00. It's very distracting and detracts from my enjoyment of the song. Get other opinions, but that's mine. If used in small doses after the breakdown after 4:00 I would dig it, but before that it seems out of place.

if anyone knows about synthesizers, heres my repost of a frustrating problem i need help w:

hey yall, i could use some help.

Is there any reason, with this thor setup, that only oscillator 1 should be making noise? If I turn osc 1 off and press a key no sound comes out of oscillator 2. i've tried anything i can think of, but i'm sure it's something stupidly simple. help!
(I know that with this setup osc1 won't make noise either, but I'm concerned with osc2)

goatmouth fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Nov 25, 2009

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
first guess, look at the buttons from the OSC mixer to the filter. 2 seems to be disabled for filter routing? I dunno try and click it see what happens!

goatmouth
Oct 24, 2005

:respek::respek::respek::respek::respek::respek::respek:
Soon Mr. Moon will be shining bright so the best day ever will last all night.

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

first guess, look at the buttons from the OSC mixer to the filter. 2 seems to be disabled for filter routing? I dunno try and click it see what happens!

you are so right! thank you for your help : )

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

goatmouth posted:

The only issue I have with it is that you might be overusing the sound that comes in around 3:00. It's very distracting and detracts from my enjoyment of the song.

Thanks man :)

I do agree with you and know exactly what you mean - the noise is the dry version of the huge swirly noise at the end of bars/the break and I just left the dry version running through thinking it might add something. Seems not! I'll chop the poo poo out of it later tonight.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

cubicle gangster posted:

the reverb sounds cheap, which i think is important cause your song is all reverb'y. if your using lives reverb get rid of that poo poo asap.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Good point, and you're right. I do actually have that free vst that was given out last week, didnt think to use it. Reckon it wont take long to swap it all over.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
epicverb is free and decent enough.. fyi

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Which is better, epicverb or the tc electronic one? Or are they different enough for me to play with and use both?

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
best guess is to listen for yourself I think.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 8, 2014

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

cubicle gangster posted:

Which is better, epicverb or the tc electronic one? Or are they different enough for me to play with and use both?

Dunno epicverb but i've been using the free one from last week and holy balls I absolutely love it.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

mezzir posted:

Dunno epicverb but i've been using the free one from last week and holy balls I absolutely love it.

It's totally broken on Macs. Like, totally broken.

I'm a big fan of Uhbik-A as a general purpose reverb to glue tracks together. The Ableton reverb is great as an effect reverb, but for ambience or realism it kind of blows.

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Nov 26, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trans fat
Jul 29, 2007

I really suck at making electronic music. I made what I think is a sufficient beat and a sufficient bassline. What can I do to this track to make it bumpin like the ones you guys make?

e: I intend to expand the very last part, I just left it as is to get some feedback and help.

trans fat fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 26, 2009

• Locked thread