Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

trans fat posted:

Hey Joshwow I got your album at the Best Friends Fest and I just made a connection can you please confirm this;

Do you suck kites?

That song (title) isn't about me. This weekend we played Ska Is Dead which was pretty sweet besides the fact of everything going wrong before/during/after our set. At the end of the show the drummer from the Toasters and the trombonists for the Voodoo Glow Skulls had a race to see who could chug a gallon of milk the fastest. If I get around to it I'll upload what lovely video I have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Josh Wow posted:

That song (title) isn't about me. This weekend we played Ska Is Dead which was pretty sweet besides the fact of everything going wrong before/during/after our set. At the end of the show the drummer from the Toasters and the trombonists for the Voodoo Glow Skulls had a race to see who could chug a gallon of milk the fastest. If I get around to it I'll upload what lovely video I have.

What band are you in again? I always see people talking about how great your band is and I want to get in on the goon ska!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

drunk asian neighbor posted:

What band are you in again? I always see people talking about how great your band is and I want to get in on the goon ska!

Taj Motel Trio

trans fat
Jul 29, 2007

Josh Wow posted:

Wow you can't say what it isn't about and not tell me what it is about.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Sorry, it's pretty boring so I didn't really think to mention it. This was before I was in the band but apparently at some show a kid was wearing a shirt that said 'Josh Sucks Kites'. Something about it being Josh's birthday was in there too, I dunno. There may be more to the story or my band may be full of really boring dudes. Who knows.

trans fat
Jul 29, 2007

I guess you can name a song anything you want if there are no words.

This is Unsavory
Feb 14, 2009

WaffleZombie posted:

If you had to pick 5 ska/ska-related songs from the past decade, what would you pick?

Suburban Legends - Do It for the Kids
Big D and the Kids Table - Shining On
Streetlight Manifesto - Point/Counterpoint
Less Than Jake - Motown Never Sounded So Good
The Slackers - Peculiar

I'd take pretty much any SL song from Rump Shaker or earlier, though, to be honest, with the exception of maybe Zanzibar.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Reminder that the new Bosstones album, Pin Points and Gin Joints, drops in 13 days

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Already got the vinyl and cd preorderd :dance:

RottenVelvetaDoc.
Feb 14, 2004

HeySka posted:

My old bass player plays for them now. Donelle is one hell of a bass player and she got in with a great group of people. Certainly is a long way from the days in Missoula, MT. Now I just need to get them up here to play. We haven't had any good ska since the Skoidats used to play here on a regular basis.

Donelle is good. I'm glad she and Adam moved to California. Monkey will be playing with the Aquabats on Saturday, December 12th at Slims in San Francisco if anybody is interested.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

This is Unsavory posted:

I'd take pretty much any SL song from Rump Shaker or earlier, though, to be honest, with the exception of maybe Zanzibar.

a thousand times yes. rump shaker is such an under-ratedly good album because all of their stuff since then has been crap.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Already got the vinyl and cd preorderd :dance:

This is going to be the highlight of a week full of tests, right before finals.

loldance
Nov 30, 2005

It's laundry day; I'm down to my priest outfit.
I was at the Atlanta Ska is Dead where Jesse and Ruben had their milk chug-off. I didn't take any video (love you josh - michelle) but just some pictures. I'm too lazy to upload them anywhere else: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2926261&id=2042966&l=b9828bd472

loldance fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 27, 2009

HeySka
Jan 3, 2006

...or is it?

loldance posted:

I was at the Atlanta Ska is Dead where Jesse and Ruben had their milk chug-off. I didn't take any video (love you josh - michelle) but just some pictures. I'm too lazy to upload them anywhere else: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2926261&id=2042966&l=b9828bd472

I am moving to Augusta later this year and I have heard there is still a bit of a Ska movement in the South. Is that true? How about Atlanta in general?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Can anybody from NC confirm the existence of a scene ins Winston-Salem?

Ska Danny and the guys from RazSum told me there was an awesome scene right before I moved and I haven't been able to find anything since then.

I have not seen a show since July. But that was the Community Records tour with RazSum and 4point0 so at least it was a good show.

This is Unsavory
Feb 14, 2009

Obama Yo Mama posted:

a thousand times yes. rump shaker is such an under-ratedly good album because all of their stuff since then has been crap.

To be honest, I did like Dance Like Nobody's Watching, even though it largely abandoned their trademark ska sound. Infectious was abysmal, though, and definitely their low point. Let's Be Friends was better, and the new stuff that I've heard is pretty good, and it actually qualifies as ska. Plus, they've brought back a ton of old material back to their live shows. It's great to have their old trumpet player, Aaron, back, even if it is supposed to be temporary. SL's gone through a rough few years, but they're definitely heading back on the right track.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I like Dance Like Nobody's Watching (except for the slow version of Bright Spring Morning) but since it's only a few song EP I don't really count it when I'm talking about them. It was more of the transition album but I liked it.

loldance
Nov 30, 2005

HeySka posted:

I am moving to Augusta later this year and I have heard there is still a bit of a Ska movement in the South. Is that true? How about Atlanta in general?

I live in Gainesville, FL, but have been going (and still go) to shows in FL, GA, SC and NC for years now, and the best "ska scene" in the southeast is in the Tampa/St. Pete area of Florida. No one can skank in Atlanta. But there are a lot of active ska bands and people trying to put on shows in the area.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Georgia gets some pretty good shows, usually all the big tours go through Atlanta. Unfortunately they're usually at the Masquerade which is a nice venue but they're kinda dicks and charge out the rear end for everything ($3.50 for a bottle of water or a 12 oz PBR). More regional bands and local bands often play at better venues, so that's a plus. There's a couple local ska bands and none of them are terrible, although they may not be to your taste. Here's the most active bands:

https://www.myspace.com/thedisregardables

https://www.myspace.com/5050shot

https://www.myspace.com/deadlikelincoln

loldance posted:

No one can skank in Atlanta.

The only skankin I saw going on last weekend was you after the show :smug:

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Josh Wow posted:

Masquerade which is a nice venue but they're kinda dicks and charge out the rear end for everything ($3.50 for a bottle of water or a 12 oz PBR).

I wish those were the prices in Boston :(

loldance
Nov 30, 2005

Josh Wow posted:

The only skankin I saw going on last weekend was you after the show :smug:

lol :circlefap:

and yeah alcohol is way expensive there but i'm apparently glad i don't live in Boston...

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

If you're lucky you can get a PBR at the House of Blues in Boston for $6!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

If you're lucky you can get a PBR at the House of Blues in Boston for $6!

I'll stick to my $10 single-shot vodka tonic, thank you very much :colbert:

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Sorry bros but I've played the illustrious Midway Cafe in Boston where they gave us drink tickets which got us gin and tonics for $1 that were 3/4 gin. Good poo poo too. Anyway the Masquerade are dicks for way more reasons than drink prices, like the sound guy cutting us off early last show and basically everybody kinda treating you like poo poo even though you're one of the reasons those people are there. Any venue that treats bands like the band really owes them something to be playing there has gotten poo poo mixed up somewhere along the line.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Clips from six of the songs on 99SOR Vol 1 are on Streetlight's site, two of them are clips without lyrics and I have no idea what they are

The others are Such Great Heights, Red Rubber Ball, Linoleum, and Punk Rock Girl

The last one just sounds so goddamn good that I'm actually excited for this album again

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

They sound great and all but I just can't bring myself to care until it actually comes out

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

So is Streetlight locked into a deal regarding number of records with their label? They hate eachother so much :(

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Red Red Blue posted:

They sound great and all but I just can't bring myself to care until it actually comes out

I'd put money on Streetlight leaking it, to be honest

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Dickeye posted:

I'd put money on Streetlight leaking it, to be honest

Hopefully soon. I'm gonna buy it (hopefully on vinyl if they release on it), but I wanna hear it baaad.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

I don't know what they are but I like 5 and 6 the best.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Hopefully soon. I'm gonna buy it (hopefully on vinyl if they release on it), but I wanna hear it baaad.

They've already said the vinyl will probably be released by Pentimento well before the CD/download is released by Victory.

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang
I had no idea they were covering Punk Rock Girl, but I've upgraded this from "album I will steal when leaked" to "album I will literally steal the masters of tonight."

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Got my Throwdown tickets for Sunday in the mail today. Really can't wait for the Monday ones, cause those will have the new album with it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Got my Throwdown tickets for Sunday in the mail today. Really can't wait for the Monday ones, cause those will have the new album with it.

Got mine for Saturday and Monday!

I was really worried I wouldn't get them, since the charge the ticket company made on my card sat there untouched for so long the bank actually gave me the money back in my account, and it didn't get charged again until like last week.

EDIT: ^^^^^ I liked your old avatar better.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Gonna have to talk to you Tuesday then.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Got mine for Saturday and Monday!

I was really worried I wouldn't get them, since the charge the ticket company made on my card sat there untouched for so long the bank actually gave me the money back in my account, and it didn't get charged again until like last week.

EDIT: ^^^^^ I liked your old avatar better.

My old avatar was crap compared to the awesomeness that is Opie.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

I'm bummed that they're not doing a New Years Eve show. Now I have nothing to do for my birthday :/

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

I love the violin in Linoleum :3:

And Such Great Heights is an amazing cover.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Just got the Bosstones new album in the mail. Kicks all kinds of rear end.

I'm going to the last 2 shows and I just learned Darkbuster will be playing their first show in almost 2 years on Sunday (gently caress yes) and Bim Skala Bim is reuniting for the show on Monday. :dance:

Oh and I also ordered 3 tickets to the Monday show (and they charged me for 3), but they sent me 4. My cousin's gonna be a happy gently caress that he gets to go to the show for free.

edit: finished my first listen of the album, and it's great. everyone should get it.

Fateo McMurray fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 8, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
This album is awesome as hell