Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Iraff posted:

What's a good launching point for Sigur Ros? I know that they only have five LPs, but is there a clear winner or any to stay clear from?

I find Takk... to be the more accessible Sigur Ros album, and ( ) to be the definitive album by the band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Iraff posted:

What's a good launching point for Sigur Ros? I know that they only have five LPs, but is there a clear winner or any to stay clear from?

Either Ágætis Byrjun or () are generally considered the best although Takk... and the most recent album are probably a bit more accessable. Von is interesting but certainly not a starting point.

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control

Amazon Review posted:

After loving music produced by Brian Eno, I got curious about his own music, and, was immediately overwhelmed upon looking at his catalogue. Any tips?
His work is usually divided into two groups: ambient and vocal.

For the vocal stuff, you could start with his latest one, Another Day On Earth (2005), but you can't go wrong with Before and After Science (1977). You'll still find some textural ambientness in his vocal work, but that's just how Brian Eno does things.. (When you are considering his vocal work from the 1970s, remember that he used to be a member of Roxy Music in the early 70s.) That said, Another Green World (1975) is a bit more accessible than his first solo works of Here Come The Warm Jets (1974) and Taking Tiger Mountain (1974), but if you're already familiar with mid/late 70s punk, then by all means get those two as well.

For the ambient stuff, start with Apollo - Atmospheres & Soundtracks (1983) before going head-first into the more seriously-ambient stuff. You may recognize a couple tracks -- "An Ending" comes up on Top Gear a lot, and "Deep Blue Day" you can find at the bottom of the worst toilet in Scotland.

If that doesn't scare you off, jump into the classic Ambient 1. Each of the four tracks have a different character and are just long enough to keep you listening without swallowing you whole. (Do not be alarmed, but you may find yourself gravitating toward Robert Fripp at this point. Just roll with it.) Ambient 2 with Harold Budd (1980) has considerably shorter tracks, but it's a magnificent follow-up (and might be more listenable). Ambient 4 - On Land (1982) is wickedly austere, but it won't sound shocking if you've made it this far.

Once you're completely hooked, then you can do the epic tracks of Neroli and Thursday Afternoon -- they are both 'tracks' and 'albums' because each one contains a single one-hour track. If you make the mistake of starting with these, you will be scared shitless of his entire discography.

This is what happened to the last people who started with Thursday Afternoon: "Unhappy Hour".

quazi fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 31, 2009

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

Thanks for the Sigur Ros help. Both were quite good, but () was right up my ally.

I thought I could get into Earth, Wind & Fire just by exploring a little bit, but Jesus Jones, they have 19 studio albums. I'm sort of averse to compilation albums, but if the Greatest Hits album is really the way to go, say so. I jut much prefer to get the whole sound of an album together, but sometimes you have a Queen situation, where each album is mostly padding for a couple of singles.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Iraff posted:

I'd start with Agaetis Byrjun, and stay far away from Von.

My first experience with them was Takk..., and while it's a great album, I don't think it got me as interested in the band as Agaetis Byrjun or ( ) would have if I'd started with those.

I love Sigur Ros now, but it's because I listened to the rest of what they have to offer.

And as for Von, well it really doesn't sound like the majority of their stuff that came after it. It's really out there, but not in a good way. I can't recommend that album to anyone, not even fans.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 31, 2009

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

Mortigi Tempo posted:

How could I get into some good Shoegaze and Slowcore?

Shoegaze:
Chapterhouse - Whirlpool
Swirlies - Blonder Tongue Audio Baton (Pancake is an outstanding track)
Ride - Nowhere

newer bands:
A Place To Bury Strangers - (either of their albums are good)
School of Seven Bells - Alpinisms
Nadja - When I See the Sun Always Shines on TV (super doom-y/post-rock-y but their MBV cover is really good)

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
John Frusciante has put out a shitload of albums in the past decade. I've only heard The Empyrean in its entirety. What should I check out? I don't mind the crazy drug addict Frusciante, but I sorta prefer his more conventional stuff, as heard on The Empyrean.

Gaylor Moon
Apr 6, 2005

Gender? I hardly know'er
This is a pretty long shot, but I was at a Japanese party last night, and this dude put on a band called Rip Slyme, does any one here know of them? Where would I go about starting?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Goons, where might I start with The Psychedelic Furs?

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
I want to like Muse.

Help me fulfill this wish of mine.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

-Atom- posted:

I want to like Muse.

Help me fulfill this wish of mine.

If you're looking for albums, I would recommend first Absolution, then Origin of Symmetry. Those are the "classic/essential" ones to me. The two newer ones are a little weaker but both have some great tracks on them. Their first CD Showbiz is mostly lovely except the title track, Sunburn and Muscle Museum.

Also, watch some live performances on Youtube.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Where should I start with Wilco?

SaintJacques
Jan 18, 2009

it's a fucking bear

Eight Is Legend posted:

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, then try out Summerteeth and Being There.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
I heard a few Mountain Goats songs here and there in the past but I'd like to go and get one of their albums to start getting into them. I'm kinda unsure about lo-fi stuff, but I guess I might be able to think past it if I have to. What's the best album to start off with?

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

Atomic Hotdog posted:

Can someone tell me which album is best to start with for Sufjan Stevens? I've heard a lot from the Illinois album, wondering where to go from there.

I am a huge Sufjan Stevens fan, and Illinois was the album that got me into him. I would say move on to either The Avalanche or Michigan next as they are probably closest to Illinois. Seven Swans is also great, but it's more folky than his other stuff. Enjoy Your Rabbit is very different, and I'm not a huge fan of it, but some people really enjoy it. The style of his Christmas music varies a lot over time, but it's all pretty good, in my opinion, and what better time to check it out?

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."

shpladoinkle posted:

I heard a few Mountain Goats songs here and there in the past but I'd like to go and get one of their albums to start getting into them. I'm kinda unsure about lo-fi stuff, but I guess I might be able to think past it if I have to. What's the best album to start off with?

Hands down it's The Sunset Tree. It's arguably their best album and contains their strongest set of songs. From there I would head down the timeline to Tallahassee. And by the time you are done with those two, you should be able to enjoy his lo-fi works, but specifically All Hail West Texas, which sometimes trades spots with The Sunset Tree as my favorite album by them.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

OrganicRobot posted:

Hands down it's The Sunset Tree. It's arguably their best album and contains their strongest set of songs. From there I would head down the timeline to Tallahassee. And by the time you are done with those two, you should be able to enjoy his lo-fi works, but specifically All Hail West Texas, which sometimes trades spots with The Sunset Tree as my favorite album by them.

Neat. Now one more: Wikipedia lists The Sunset Tree and Come, Come to the Sunset Tree as two albums in the catalog, but they both seem to redirect to the same page... why?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

shpladoinkle posted:

Neat. Now one more: Wikipedia lists The Sunset Tree and Come, Come to the Sunset Tree as two albums in the catalog, but they both seem to redirect to the same page... why?

It helps if you read the page.

Wikipedia posted:

An alternate, limited-edition vinyl featuring demo recordings and B-sides, entitled Come, Come to the Sunset Tree, was sold as a mail-order and tour-only LP of 1,000 copies, along with hand customized album covers by Darnielle.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

FitFortDanga posted:

It helps if you read the page.

Oh, right, that sentence with the bolded text right in the middle. Gotcha.

nadabolt
May 17, 2009
Anal oval office
Merle Haggard

Also, if anyone knows where you can get Sun City Girls' albums relatively cheap, I would appreciate that.

MC Scaredabeez
Feb 10, 2008

Rhg0061r posted:

Good to place to start with Dinosaur Jnr anyone?

Dinosaur Jr are really great, and their second two albums are probably their best as far as songwriting goes, those being You're Living All Over Me and Bug. Every album beyond these two has at least one or two mindflaying tracks, though they tend to come with a little bit of filler. Earbleeding Country, their greatest hits album does a pretty good job of collecting the good jams up to the time when J went solo (before Lou and Murph rejoined).

All the reccomendations aside, if you happen to see a Dinosaur Jr CD for really cheap, go ahead and buy it because chances are if you like them already you will like a few of the songs on the album enough to listen to them over and over. Even though the later albums aren't as consistent, they never stopped doing what they were good at or took any weird, incomprehensible left turns.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

nadabolt posted:

Anal oval office

All of their albums sound pretty near the same and are unlistenable. Choose whichever one you think has the funniest song titles.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Eight Is Legend posted:

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is pretty clearly their best album, but I think the most easily accessible is Summerteeth. It definitely planted the seeds for what they did on YHF, but it's a little poppier for the most part.

Drama Llama
Mar 27, 2009

"I hope you can take one alive sheriff, it would be a boom to science..."

the Bunt posted:

John Frusciante has put out a shitload of albums in the past decade. I've only heard The Empyrean in its entirety. What should I check out? I don't mind the crazy drug addict Frusciante, but I sorta prefer his more conventional stuff, as heard on The Empyrean.

I think 'To Record Only Water For 10 Days' and 'Shadows Collide with People' are two of his better ones. A good place to start at least.

Amazon Review
Mar 3, 2009

1F YOU B3LI3V3 H4RD 3NOUGH 1N 1M4G1N4RY TH1NGS, TH4T M4K3S TH3M SL1GHTLY L3SS F4K3!
At the behest of my roommate, I've really been enjoying Can and Kraftwerk, particularly Can. Any recommendations for lesser known krautrock artists would be greatly appreciated.

Uncle Meat
Feb 8, 2008

I will eat your children.

Amazon Review posted:

At the behest of my roommate, I've really been enjoying Can and Kraftwerk, particularly Can. Any recommendations for lesser known krautrock artists would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe not less known, but still:
Tangerine Dream - Stratosfear
Faust - Faust IV
Amon Düül II - Tanz Der Lemmings
Popul Vuh - Hosianna Mantra

Also, I'd recommend this one hour long documentary, if you find the music interesting. You might even pick up a few new bands:
Krautrock: The Rebirth of Germany (I found it in its entirety on Vimeo, but they seem to have removed it, so an Youtube link will have to suffice.)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'm trying to get into KRS-One, but I basically only know him from his guest spots, and his discography is massive. What's the best starting point?

funkcroquet
Nov 29, 2004

Amazon Review posted:

dig through this if you have time. http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/ultimathule/krautrockers.html most of what sounds good described here actually is good if you stick to 1968-1977ish.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I'm trying to get into KRS-One, but I basically only know him from his guest spots, and his discography is massive. What's the best starting point?

Return of The Boom Bap, and possibly some of his stiff with BDP like Criminally Minded.

He also put out a really good album about 2 years ago with Marley Marl called Hip-Hop Lives if you want something more "modern" sounding, but honestly, Return of The Boom Bap is where you need to start.

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Rotten rear end Joe posted:

This is a pretty long shot, but I was at a Japanese party last night, and this dude put on a band called Rip Slyme, does any one here know of them? Where would I go about starting?

I've heard a few of their songs but they don't seem to be particularly consistent or have tons of good B-sides or anything, apparently they have a compilation album called 'Good Job!' which would probably be a good place to start

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Which album from The Jesus and Mary Chain is easiest accessible? I heard some tracks and didn't really like them, but I don't want to dismiss the band so quick.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Skilleddk posted:

Which album from The Jesus and Mary Chain is easiest accessible? I heard some tracks and didn't really like them, but I don't want to dismiss the band so quick.
From the ones I've heard, I'd go with Automatic

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Skilleddk posted:

Matters gently caress all which one is the most accessible (that would be Stoned & Dethroned, which is a boring folk-pop LP), Psychocandy is their best and no one in their right mind would ever disagree.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

HAI posted:

Matters gently caress all which one is the most accessible (that would be Stoned & Dethroned, which is a boring folk-pop LP), Psychocandy is their best and no one in their right mind would ever disagree.

Pretty much. Just start with Psychocandy, listen their albums in chronological order and quit whenever you feel it gets boring.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008
if you've only heard Just Like Honey, listen to Psychocandy, and become frustrated when The Living End comes on, TJMC might not be for you... seriously, start with Psychocandy.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Where should I start with Atmosphere? Someone just linked me to this live version of The River and I'm pretty impressed, it gets really intense at the end and the guy sounds like he's almost breaking into tears. I'd like to hear more.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Uncle Meat posted:

Maybe not less known, but still:
Tangerine Dream - Stratosfear
Faust - Faust IV
Amon Düül II - Tanz Der Lemmings
Popul Vuh - Hosianna Mantra

Also, I'd recommend this one hour long documentary, if you find the music interesting. You might even pick up a few new bands:
Krautrock: The Rebirth of Germany (I found it in its entirety on Vimeo, but they seem to have removed it, so an Youtube link will have to suffice.)

You seem to have forgotten to mention Ash Ra Tempel's self titled album.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Paperhouse posted:

Where should I start with Atmosphere? Someone just linked me to this live version of The River and I'm pretty impressed, it gets really intense at the end and the guy sounds like he's almost breaking into tears. I'd like to hear more.

I'm not in any way the best person to recommend him, but the Lucy Ford album is pretty great, and it has one of the eeriest hip hop songs I've heard.

Doctor Skeleton
Nov 15, 2003

Paperhouse posted:

The best three are Lucy Ford, God Loves Ugly, and Seven's Travels. It's an ongoing debate with my friends on which is best, but it's probably Seven's Travels.

Also if you like Slug, you'd probably like Felt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

®
Nov 20, 2002

Where do I start with Pavement?