Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

blugu64 posted:

What will the people who sell audiophile grade cables say to wireless streaming! (audiophile grade wireless cards and antennas)

Wireless "guidance" cables. Hang them on $1,200 stands and run them between your wireless transmitter and the receiver to ensure outside bits don't get into your stream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Wireless "guidance" cables. Hang them on $1,200 stands and run them between your wireless transmitter and the receiver to ensure outside bits don't get into your stream.

room sized faraday cages.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

blugu64 posted:

room sized faraday cages.

Made of silver coated gold mesh?

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

blugu64 posted:

What will the people who sell audiophile grade cables say to wireless streaming! (audiophile grade wireless cards and antennas)

They're already selling something like this to gamers.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Nah, that's a wired device. Show me a killer Nic wireless model.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Hypnolobster posted:

Made of silver coated gold mesh?

Once you have sold this to them then a year later make a version with a textured gold mesh that does the job better.

Sunesis
Apr 17, 2003

RANPHA IS MAD LOL
I regards to the whole DAC thing, the DAC isn't using a resistor bridge to convert from Digital world to analog. It uses a bunch of comparators hooked upto precision voltage sources. Or they convert the stream to PWM first, then just filter out the crap above the audio range. Both ways are a little more advanced than a few resistors (although a few resistors is basicly the same thing).

Jitter is when a one or a zero should arrive NOW, but arrives NOW plus or minus a few microseconds or nano seconds. That means that the clock of the signal and the actually signal are shifted. This is only an issue in large systems with many components that add their own little bit of delay to each bit. The bitstream coming off a CD drive would be reclocked anyway, and would be fairly jitter free. Any jitter that would be there would be BELOW the noise floor of the system anyway. Its a total non issue. That said, a proper CD Player or a CD that was ripped as lossless would probably play better than a computer CD drive.

Once those bits are off the drive and have been reclocked into a normal digital bitstream, then jitter is a non issue! There is nothing else in the chain that will introduce jitter, certainty not the cable. Whats more, the bits are process a sample at a time, so all 16 bits would be taken together. If one of them arrived late, it would have to be 22 MICROseconds late for it to matter to the converter.

Sorry, /rant off. There we go.

Do a google search on Balanced Power.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Sunesis posted:

Sorry, /rant off. There we go.

Do a google search on Balanced Power.

You should rant at the audiophiles on their own forums. Post links to angry responses.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
http://www.lessloss.com/blackbody-p-200.html

loving brilliant

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Holy poo poo I need to stop reading this thread

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Omegaslast posted:

http://www.lessloss.com/blackbody-p-200.html

loving brilliant

The more the merrier!

Obviously.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Amphigory posted:

Holy poo poo I need to stop reading this thread

I saw this earlier and looked up a few of those reviews. They're pretty much they were talking about a show room that LessLoss was part of. Now, how much of those positive reviews was the result of the $50,000 speakers that were being used, and how much was the result of their magic cables and electron organizers?

Gotta love marketing.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
I love how the site ENCOURAGES blind testing

"Can you give an example of how to test the effectiveness of this device?

Of course. Here is but one test: the assistant holds a Blackbody up behind the tweeter of the audiophile’s left speaker. The audiophile then chooses which speaker draws his interest more. (He will report that the left speaker has cleaner highs and draws his attention more than the right speaker, which sounds uninteresting in comparison.) Then, the assistant moves to the right speaker, pretending that he is still holding the Blackbody, but in reality he has left it behind the tweeter of the other speaker, where it was before. The audiophile is asked once again to choose which speaker sounds more interesting, more believable. (He is still drawn to the sound of the left speaker, even though he believes that the Blackbody is now behind the right speaker.)"

Of course this IS what will happen right up until they got to "he is still drawn to the sound of the left speaker". I love how they said HE IS STILL as if its a certainty in the same vein as releasing an apple from your hand means gravity will pull it to the ground.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Thats only because he's got a bum right ear.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

blugu64 posted:

Thats only because he's got a bum right ear.

(The man is still drawn to the left speaker because the right speaker is not hooked up. proof of $1000 product working)

205b
Mar 25, 2007

205b fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 21, 2009

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
http://www.lessloss.com/page.html?id=64

So it's like particle physics kung fu?

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
I want to see two identical rooms, with two completely identical sets of components. One room, however will use EVERY SINGLE product that lessloss.com sells.

Then we blow up the lessloss.com room along with everyone in it. I mean for gently caress's sake, on that kung fu page is says that once you buy the product "much like a magic mirror that only shows you what you want to see—your audio gear will only play what you wish to hear."

He also goes on to claim that leaving burned out light bulbs plugged into the circuit of his audio equipment made it sound better.

And then claims that while listening to the sound system in his BMW 525, that passing a crystal glass region in germany made his CD sound better.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Neurophonic posted:

those pictures aren't even of kung fu, it's akido

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Neurophonic posted:

I like how SCIENCE is prominently bolded.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

quote:

Tubes sound less tubey

SCIENCE

Isn't the idea of spending a hojillion dollars on tubes so that you get that "tubular" sound.

After spending your fortune on tubes you then spend another fortune on voodoo magic blocks to get rid of the sound you spent lots of money going for.

Synergy of the dumb.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
From now on, whenever I'm saying something dumb, I will slip a "Science." in there. It makes it so much more believable.

MrData
Jun 28, 2008

quote:

The Blackbody is a high-tech audio accessory which greatly enhances your audio playback experience by addressing the interaction of your audio gear's circuitry with ambient electromagnetic phenomena and modifying this interplay. The Blackbody takes advantage of the quantum nature of particle interaction, and is therefore able to permeate metal, plastic, wood, and other barriers to affect the circuitry inside your components. This altered electromagnetic influence results in profoundly improved sound quality.

So..what does it do exactly?

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

MrData posted:

It quantums your particles, duh.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Neurophonic posted:

It quantums your particles, duh.

It's all relative. :rimshot:

insta
Jan 28, 2009

MrData posted:

It's a fancy brick of lead designed to stop cosmic particles. Interestingly enough, there is a microscopic iota of truth to this -- cosmic particles do frequently cause tiny blips in digital circuitry (source: http://www.ida.liu.se/~abdmo/SNDFT/docs/ram-soft.html).

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

quote:

High energy rays from space which, in space, are primarily protons (92%) and alpha particles (6%). In space, cosmic rays come from all directions.

So putting one of these $1000 dollar things randomly around your equipment, even if it did exactly what it claims, wouldn't do anything in reality unless you completely surrounded your equipment in all directions.

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.
A shield of lead one lightyear thick to stop all those pesky neutrinos.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

mr. nazi posted:

So putting one of these $1000 dollar things randomly around your equipment, even if it did exactly what it claims, wouldn't do anything in reality unless you completely surrounded your equipment in all directions.

You're missing the point. This device is so effective you don't even have to plug it in.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Neurophonic posted:

It's like having people practice Aikido in the black box. No actually page two of the explanation gets better. Building a blue glass box around his stereo improved the sound. SCIENCE at work. I then read further and found the real science behind this impressive technology.

http://www.lessloss.com/images/blackbody/feng_shui.jpg

wasp_f15ing
Feb 27, 2004

For once you must try not to shirk the facts: mankind is kept alive by bestial acts
So.. one thing that makes me question all of the new speakers now, is their size. Whenever I read an article in a given magazine I hear how bass extension is this that and the other..

Now, I have experimented with a fair few audio products, and in my experience unless you have a woofer on the speaker greater than 10" your bass extension is reliant on your room and is weedy at best. Unless its a farting transmission line. Is it a recent trend with manufacturers that they don't want bigger drivers, or are they considered not pretty?

I know we have subs to compliment the speakers these days, but I would like to buy a floorstanding speaker which is 4 way. And the ones that have this function are seriously expensive.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

oh yes. two kinds... of dances

wasp_f15ing posted:

I know we have subs to compliment the speakers these days, but I would like to buy a floorstanding speaker which is 4 way. And the ones that have this function are seriously expensive.

<derail>

Why 4-way? There are plenty of 3-ways and even 2-ways with deep bass extension. You're really limiting yourself there. Also, what kind of extension are you looking for and what is your budget? Anyway, here are a few of my picks.

</derail>

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

wasp_f15ing posted:

So.. one thing that makes me question all of the new speakers now, is their size. Whenever I read an article in a given magazine I hear how bass extension is this that and the other..

Now, I have experimented with a fair few audio products, and in my experience unless you have a woofer on the speaker greater than 10" your bass extension is reliant on your room and is weedy at best. Unless its a farting transmission line. Is it a recent trend with manufacturers that they don't want bigger drivers, or are they considered not pretty?

If you have a driver with a high enough Xmech and a low enough Fs the size of the cone is largely irrelevant - you can build a bigger bass-reflex cabinet or design a high-order bandpass to achieve significantly more air displacement than the surface area of the driver would otherwise allow.

Likewise if you're going for a front-loaded horn enclosure. If you put enough compression and horn length in front of the driver then you can get some serious low frequencies out of small drivers. Particularly if you use multiples, perhaps in a push-pull configuration to reduce distortion.

There's no escaping physics' iron laws however and if you go for a smaller driver and want an accurate sound you're going to have to build a pretty big box to compensate.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

wasp_f15ing posted:

I don't think that those that are looking for their equipment to be as small and unintrusive as possible are the "audiophiles" we're ridiculing here. They're normal people who don't want stereo equipment to be the primary focus in a room.

Stares At Floor
Mar 4, 2007

Pibborando San posted:

<derail>

Why 4-way? There are plenty of 3-ways and even 2-ways with deep bass extension. You're really limiting yourself there. Also, what kind of extension are you looking for and what is your budget? Anyway, here are a few of my picks.

</derail>

Those aren't picks those are pics.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Stares At Floor posted:

Definition of pick -
pick
1  /pɪk/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [pik] Show IPA

–verb (used with object)
1. to choose or select from among a group: to pick a contestant from the audience.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

wasp_f15ing posted:

I would like to buy a floorstanding speaker which is 4 way.

Budget/Willingness to buy used/qualities you're looking for/other gear?

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Stares At Floor posted:

Congratulations!

I have good news for you, user Stares At Floor! You decided to make a stupid, nit-picky, worthless, and ultimately incorrect post in a thread that plenty of people enjoy, which has brought the wrath of the forum moderation team! But fear not--I'm going to give you an opportunity to redeem yourself. Yes, folks, it's time for a

:siren: MOD CHALLENGE! :siren:

Here is your chance to save yourself from banning! Pick one of the following options:

1. Write 1,000 words on the etymology of the noun pick, especially its relation to the transitive verb form meaning "to choose from a group."

2. Take a picture of yourself doing or holding at least five pick-related things. No two can be the same.

3. Write 1,000 words on pedantry. It must be completely correct in both spelling and grammar.

4. Get video of yourself staring at the floor while someone throws guitar picks at you. It must last at least two minutes and you cannot move or speak.

You have until Tuesday at 12:00 PM Pacific Standard Time to complete one of these challenges. Good luck! Oh, and if someone else completes one of these challenges before you do, you get banned. Hooray!

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

King Hotpants posted:

:siren: MOD CHALLENGE! :siren:

2. Take a picture of yourself doing or holding at least five pick-related things. No two can be the same.

Oh, and if someone else completes one of these challenges before you do, you get banned. Hooray!

Here I am picking which shirt to wear.

Here I am picking my nose!

Here I am picking a lovely flower. :3:

Here I am picking some rocks, like some sort of convict on a chain gang!

Here I am air picking my mother loving air guitar like some sort of air rockstar! :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andy17null
Nov 29, 2007

I'M SO GODDAMN RETARDED, I THINK THIS IS LITERALLY REAL MONEY
Looks good to me! :byewhore:
e:bonus props for use of the pickaxe