Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Just came back from the Black Friday fun at Harbor Freight. I arrived at 5:45 and only 3 other cars were present. We left our cars at 6:25 and stood by the doors as other cars began to arrive. The staff was nice enough to check on what was in stock for us before they officially opened so we wouldn't be fighting over scarce items. And since it was getting very windy they opened 15 minutes early to allow usout of the cold.

I was after the 1 ton shop crane which I scored with no trouble AND they allowed me to use a 20% off coupon I snipped from Maxim.

List price was $179.99, It followed me out of the store for $86 and my BF shopping was finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Is it ok to use an air ratchet by hand like a regular ratchet for tough stuff?

I just bought an air ratchet, I've never even used one before. I was playing around with it undoing the bolts that hold on these diagonal crash brace things under the hood. I came across a bolt that was too tight, it wouldn't take it out so I pulled some by hand on the air ratchet as if it were a regular ratchet to loosen it up some. and it felt "weird" the half or so turn I made with it. I don't know if it was slipping but it just didn't feel right. Is doing this a no-no? did I gently caress it up? It's just a cheap campbell horsefield one from walmart.

edit: Also, I'm not too impressed with the powah of this thing. It claims 50 foot pounds, I would think 50 should uscrew some of the things it had trouble with. But it also says on the box a 3/8" air line is required. Mine is only 1/4" (not one of those weak coily ones) but it runs my impact and air hammer just fine. Will I notice a big difference on a 3/8? or does the cheapness of the tool factor more than 1/4 vs. 3/8?

and how would a 3/8s make all that much difference if everything is flowing through 2 sets of bitty little quick-connects anyway?

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 27, 2009

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
You can't hurt an air motor by overloading it, so turn all you want.

3/8" line is required for the airflow for max torque. It will run fine on 1/4", but you're giving up 10-25% of your power.

edit: 1/4" npt fittings can have an inner diameter of 3/8". NPT is a stupid standard.

oxbrain fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 27, 2009

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

oxbrain posted:

You can't hurt an air motor by overloading it, so turn all you want.

I'm more worried about the actual ratcheting head, I wasn't even on the air at the time. I'd guess it was probably right around 50 foot pounds that I had to pull to get it loose but not exactly breaker-bar type stuff and stuff I do all the time with a little craftsman 3/8s hand ratchet but something just felt real strange and mushy about it.

Oh well it stil works, maybe all the difference mushyness was was just that I'm used to a little craftsman ratchet square handle biting into the meat of my hand where this is pretty fat and round and twice as long in comparison.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 27, 2009

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Oh, I thought you meant you had the air ratchet going and it wasn't quite enough to break the bolt free.

I've never noticed that before, but then I also rarely use air ratchets.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
I think it's just the way they feel because it's a different kind of mechanism than a standard ratchet. I've been doing that for years on my lovely 3/8" craftsman air ratchet so I could hopefully gently caress it up and have an excuse to buy a nice one, but it doesn't seem to affect it. Just keep your poo poo oiled and it probably doesn't matter what you do to it.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
Just picked up a "black-friday special" 14-gallon 4.5HP Shop Vac for 30 bucks at Lowe's.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
I got a 400watt DC-AC inverter from pep boys for $16.99. Anyone know a good place to find a single receptacle that's small and not ugly as poo poo?

ssh
Dec 9, 2001

by elpintogrande

Lowclock posted:

I got a 400watt DC-AC inverter from pep boys for $16.99. Anyone know a good place to find a single receptacle that's small and not ugly as poo poo?

Uh.. generic 15a black extension cord?

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Is there such a thing as a tap to clean up the threads on a flare nut?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

oxbrain posted:

Is there such a thing as a tap to clean up the threads on a flare nut?
A plug (bottoming) tap in whatever thread size the thing is?

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

:doh:

But that would make perfect sense. :(

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
Isn't that called a die?

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

ab0z posted:

Isn't that called a die?

A die is for external threads. Tap for internal.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
Oh sorry, I misunderstood. I thought he was talking about the actual fitting on the line rather than where that fitting plugs into.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

I was, but whatever. :)

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

oxbrain posted:

I was, but whatever. :)

Pardon my ignorance, I was not aware that a flare nut was actually a bolt type fitting.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yay for new toys

giundy
Dec 10, 2005
Are there are any good tips for angle grinders? I picked up a HF orange one and it seems the cutting wheels wear out in the center first and fall off. I picked up some from Home Depot and they seemed to last just as long.

On another note, I'm about to start replacing panels on my CJ, whats the best thing for cutting them out? I have a reciprocating saw, a jig saw and the angle grinder to use. I'm trying to get a band saw for the cutting patches.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

You're clamping the discs on wrong. Either not tight enough, or the collar nut is backwards.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

ssh posted:

Uh.. generic 15a black extension cord?

Well yea I know I can hack something together but I wanted it to look nice and be safe. E34s have this little plastic bulkhead spot near the battery that would be perfect if I can find some way to mount a receptacle to it.

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

Does anyone have a recommended cordless impact wrench with a 3/8" drive?

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

FormulaXFD posted:

Does anyone have a recommended cordless impact wrench with a 3/8" drive?

We have a makita li ion one with drill set at work and it is pretty good. The batteries charge in 15 minutes and we got it open box at lowes for $130. I'd buy it for myself if I needed one. I basically use it to take the back seats of police cars out and install a tray in the track and between the drivers seats on 30 cars a year.

Ex: this without light poo poo

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000V2BRM2...ASIN=B000V2BRM2

FormulaXFD
Sep 11, 2001

Thanks! I'll be paying Lowe's a visit tomorrow so I'll give it a look then.

City17
Dec 3, 2006

giundy posted:

On another note, I'm about to start replacing panels on my CJ, whats the best thing for cutting them out? I have a reciprocating saw, a jig saw and the angle grinder to use. I'm trying to get a band saw for the cutting patches.

On my Bronco I used the thin cut-off wheels in my angle grinder. The Dewalt XP 4" .045 wheels seemed to last the longest for me, they are expensive at almost $3.00 each, but seemed to last much longer than the cheap brands. Lowes carries them.

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/accessory_category_detail.asp?categoryID=4475

In my thread I talked a bit about cutting the biggest part of the panel out, then hitting the strip with the spotwelds.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I think I've only gone through three cutoff disks in my angle grinder. And I've used it to cut a lot of material. I am using the harbror freight brand cutoff wheels in their blue 4.5 amp grinder.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
An angle grinder with a cut-off wheel will be the fastest and most accurate. And what's going on with the band saw? Tin snips will do for sheet metal, anything thicker can be cut with the cut-off wheel.

giundy
Dec 10, 2005
Tin snips tend to bend the metal and i don't have a good place to clamp the metal for the cut off wheel. The alternative is the band saw which in this case is free.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Nerobro posted:

Speaking of tools. Have any of you built your own? Say your own grinder, or buffind wheel? Perhaps a special breaker bar? Or the right spanner to undo a custom nut that honda decided had to be on a clutch. (I had to do that...) I'm building a mill right now. Which will eventually be CNC.
I have not made any custom tools, but my friend made an attachment for his slide hammer that has a two-pronged fork on it for pulling CV axles out of transmissions and differentials. It is loving awesome. Ten times better than trying to use a wedge to disengage the little snap ring that holds the axle stub into the transmission.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

From what I gathered reading the tools thread, if I wanted to spend up to $200 on a compressor I'm better off buying a good brand used one rather than something from HF. What are the good brands / features to look for? The only thing I remember is thinking that I want ones that require oil (quieter / indicative of higher quality? I don't remember why...).

I'm just checking the los angeles craigslist tool section:
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/search/tls?query=compressor&catAbbreviation=tls&minAsk=min&maxAsk=200

*edit*
I heard Chicago Pneumatic or Ingersoll Rand, but all the Ingersoll compressors on CL are > $600.

I probably should have said I'm hoping to run just your standard air tools (impact wrench and ratchet), but ideally it'd be possible to use a die grinder with it (without having to wait too long for it to catch up).

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 2, 2009

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Two I would look at,

Home depot brand. Make sure the pump is oiled and it'll be good.
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/tls/1481429964.html

This would be really nice, but might be more of a project than you'd want.
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/tls/1481368816.html

Other brands to look for, Eaton, Quincy, Porter Cable, Campbell Hausfeld, Westward, Champion, and Industrial. In that price range I'd just look for oiled and not harbor freight.

edit: Might be a little underpowered, but that is the exact pump I have that is quieter than my fridge. It's only a couple CFM though, mine runs off a 1/2hp motor.
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/tls/1490342630.html

oxbrain fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 2, 2009

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Thanks for the recommendations! Another dumb question - is there a good way to make sure it works? My plan was just to have them turn it on, and I figured the seller would likely have an air tool that I could hook up just to make sure it works. Anything else?

(I've never used a (large) air compressor or air tools before)

Blocko
Jul 12, 2008

Spoiler alert: Blood Ravens are actually Hiigarans who got sucked into the warp, were sent back in time to fight in WWII against the Panzer Elite, then stole a nazi time machine to go into the future and save mankind from an army of Lobster-Elephants and other impossible creatures.

Rated R.

devnull420 posted:

Thanks for the recommendations! Another dumb question - is there a good way to make sure it works? My plan was just to have them turn it on, and I figured the seller would likely have an air tool that I could hook up just to make sure it works. Anything else?

(I've never used a (large) air compressor or air tools before)

There is usually a tap on the bottom of the tank, unscrew it (make sure all the air is out first) and see if any water comes out. You don't want water to come out (especially if it's rust coloured.)

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Blocko posted:

There is usually a tap on the bottom of the tank, unscrew it (make sure all the air is out first) and see if any water comes out. You don't want water to come out (especially if it's rust coloured.)

You don't want a lot of water to come out or rust colored water to come out of it. There's no way you're going to find one with no water in it as water in the tank is the nature of the beast when compressing air.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
We were thinking about getting my dad a wet/dry vac for Christmas (we never know what to get him). K-Mart has this one on sale for $45 (Craftsman 12-gal 5.0 peak hp), which I think would be good enough for what he'd use it for (vacuuming around the garage, sucking water out of the fish tank, helping keep the water at bay next time it rains hard and the basement begins to flood). Thoughts?

Home Depot has a Rigid and Lowes has a Shop-Vac with the same specs for $80.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Uthor posted:

(Craftsman 12-gal 5.0 peak hp)

Knowing craftsman, it's probably 3728 watts at 0t , and 12 gallons of air at 200psi :downsrim:

EDIT: Also, I pulled the drain plug on one of my compressors after not draining it for like 6 years and nothing came out. No water, oil, rust, anything. It wasn't plugged or anything either. I stuck a piece of wire in there and it went right in and then I turned the compressor on and just air came out. This is on a lovely little 20gal Harbor-Freightish brand, oiled.

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 3, 2009

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Lowclock posted:

I pulled the drain plug on one of my compressors after not draining it for like 6 years and nothing came out. No water, oil, rust, anything. It wasn't plugged or anything either. I stuck a piece of wire in there and it went right in and then I turned the compressor on and just air came out. This is on a lovely little 20gal Harbor-Freightish brand, oiled.

Do you live in the desert? Have you ever used your compressor? Do you have a dryer hooked up in line?

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Did you turn it upside down to access the drain?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
It was in northeastern Ohio for about 4 years and Arizona for 2. It doesn't get really heavy use. I probably cycle it like once a day average I'd say. It's a standing model and the drain plug is on the bottom of the tank. I just had to replace the case seal on the motor because it was leaking, but it was always full of oil. No dryer or filter. I was expecting some nasty poo poo but this is ok too!

EDIT: The end of the drain plug was even like perfectly clean when I took it out too. Mystery

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 3, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Tell me if this is normal for an impact wrench, I've only had my own compressor and impact for a couple months, in that time I've never tried to take lugnuts off, just front end suspension stuff and it worked fine for that. only times I've ever used an impact for lugnuts were friends impacts that were very expensive 600 foot pound ones that had composite bodies, weighed like 8 ounces and broke anything loose before you could even think about it.

Anyway, mine wouldn't do anything with 22mm 140foot pound torque spec lugnuts at 90 psi. It was a "puma" brand 250lb 1/2" that looks exactly like the CH ones at walmart except mine was yellow powdercoat instead of unfinished. I had to crank up the PSI to 120 and then run the gun on the nut for 10-15 secs before it broke free.

I bought it at a used tool place for $20, I took it back yesterday and they traded me a 275 foot pound CH brand one for it, this CH one looks like its maybe one model higher than the CH one walmart has. On this one it didn't do anything at 90 or 100 but at 110 it did break it loose after about 5 seconds of running on it. Better than the last one but is that normal in any way for a consumer type impact gun? I do have a 3/8" air line and I've oiled the hammer assy and put oil in through the air inlet.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 3, 2009