Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

This'll be my first winter rockin the soft top.

- Any winterizing-type things I could/should do? Like any treatments, prep, etc?

- I know that the rear soft windows scuff up if you so much as look at them funny, but is it cool to use a nylon-bristle snowbrush on them? If not, any tips for cleaning the windows after a snowfall?

- Kind of tying into the above, someone suggested using something like Rain-X on the soft windows might help keep snow from sticking on them in the first place. Any thoughts on that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

(crossposted form What did you do to your ride today)
Well, yesterday I dropped the gas tank on my 99 Jeep WJ and finally fixed the fuel pump gasket. The PO had apparently tried to do the same thing at one point, but (like the transmission pan) he folded the gasket when he put it back in. On top of that, the retaining ring was just bouncing around - it wasn't even screwed on! :argh: No wonder it leaked.

Of course, I make it sound easy. It took me 3 hours JUST to get the drat trailer hitch off because I was trying to do it the right way and remove the rear fascia. Well, I had to take most of the rear end apart. Every piece I had to remove was covered by another piece. I ended up in the rear seat at one point. There I was, in the rear seat, removing poo poo so I could take off the trailer hitch. :wtc: In the end I admitted defeat because I couldn't find the retaining clips that there are no pictures of anywhere. All the instructions say is to "take off the D pillar molding and peel back the rubber seal" to get at them. Well, I couldn't find a loving rubber seal anywhere, I have no idea what the gently caress. I finally just gave up and pulled the hitch out by pulling back the lower end of the fascia. Getting it back in will be fun. :(

So, does anybody know how to get at those rear fascia clips? I couldn't find an illustration or picture of them anywhere. Every resource I looked at (the service manual, my Haynes manual, the internet) treated it like it was completely obvious (and also neglected to mention that you have to take off ALL THE loving MOLDING IN THE CARGO AREA to get the loving D pillar molding off) and so either I'm really blind, or there's some important information they left off..

Khong Phai
Apr 19, 2006
Thanks Jeep thread for convincing me to get one. Got myself a 95 XJ classic with 150,000kms on it for AU$4100, pretty good deal I reckon, and couldn't be happier with it. I can see this is the beginning of a long and expensive relationship though, already dropped a fair chunk on new tires and hungry to make it even better.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

Sasquatch! posted:

This'll be my first winter rockin the soft top.

- Any winterizing-type things I could/should do? Like any treatments, prep, etc?

- I know that the rear soft windows scuff up if you so much as look at them funny, but is it cool to use a nylon-bristle snowbrush on them? If not, any tips for cleaning the windows after a snowfall?

- Kind of tying into the above, someone suggested using something like Rain-X on the soft windows might help keep snow from sticking on them in the first place. Any thoughts on that?

Silicon grease on the zippers keeps them from seizing up, freezing, or leaking water. Best way to clean the windows in the winter is really just a rag with warm water.

Armorall once every other week keeps the water damage down. Otherwise, the top starts to look pretty filthy and faded.

The soft top was a bit too much hassle for me in the wintertime. I do miss being able to drop the top on a cold sunny day though, rollin' around with a thick rear end jacket, hat and gloves. Especially at night, people look at you like you're nuts.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Bought my first Jeep this Sunday! It's a 98 Cherokee Sport, auto, with 145k miles. It's surprisingly un-rusty considering they salt the roads in my state. I haven't driven it much yet, but I'm already loving it.

It's also going to be the first vehicle where I doing my own maintenance. I plan on reading through the service manual, but is there anything specific I should be looking out for right away? Already replaced a bad headlight and put new tires on. Not mechanical, but the speakers seem shot so I'll probably be looking into cheap systems.

Hopefully I can get it offroad sometime soon.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Crossposted from stupid questions thread -- 1993 Wrangler -- is there anything in particular I need to know about doing front pads/rotors on this vehicle, or is it standard remove/replace?

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon

powderific posted:

It's also going to be the first vehicle where I doing my own maintenance. I plan on reading through the service manual, but is there anything specific I should be looking out for right away? Already replaced a bad headlight and put new tires on. Not mechanical, but the speakers seem shot so I'll probably be looking into cheap systems.

Change the transmission fluid unless you have a record of it being changed very recently. Just drain the pan and refill. If it comes out bright red (just like the stuff you put back in) you're good until next scheduled change, otherwise you'll need to do a full flush. That's the primary thing I'm paranoid about. Also, ONLY USE MOPAR FLUID! Take care of that tranny and it'll last you forever.

Keep an eye for oil leaks from the rear of the engine. All 4.0 I-6's eventually lose their rear main seal.

Looks like a well kept XJ, enjoy it!

P.S. Someone scrubbed the poo poo out of that engine compartment, it looks pristine.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

fordham posted:

Keep an eye for oil leaks from the rear of the engine. All 4.0 I-6's eventually lose their rear main seal.

I would be suspicious of an inline 6 that didn't have at least a little oil leak somewhere. :haw:

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

fordham posted:

P.S. Someone scrubbed the poo poo out of that engine compartment, it looks pristine.

He's also missing his fan shroud.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the advice, I'll do that first thing. The guy I bought if from buys and parts out XJs for a living, so getting a replacement fan should should be easy enough. And yeah, he had the engine bay steam cleaned. There's more grime on the seats than there is on the engine.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

incredibull posted:

soft top stuff
Thanks. I'll get some silicon grease and armorall and dress her up before snowfall. (Oh, and I too will open-air it as long as there's sunshine out, temperature be damned!)

HolaMundo
Apr 22, 2004
uragay

sponge would own me in soccer :(
Last week I got gifted a '68 CJ5. Used to be the "family jeep" and was at the beach house, but since my dad isn't really into cars or anything and was getting tired of it decided to gift it to me for my 24th birthday :)

Currently it's at the mechanic to fix some brake and overheating issues, I'll post some pics in some days and probably some questions sooner or later.

nullfox
Aug 19, 2008
If this already came up, and was beat to death, feel free to beat me to death.

I've changed my mind a number of times between a car, truck, suv etc and particular cars in each category. I've decided that I want to get a Grand Cherokee - I used to drive my parents 97 GC and while it had a few issues, it was all around, not a bad car.

This is going to my daily driver and as I save up extra cash, I plan to use it for wheeling/trails and weekend camping trips.

My issue now is deciding between a WJ and WK - Personally, I like the looks of the WJ more, but my girlfriend, likes the "newness" of WK's. Ive been reading around and it seems like the consensus is:

Doing any kind of off-roading/trails? Go with a WJ.
Doing all highway/city? Go with a WK.

Is that a fair way of thinking about it? Does anyone have any insight on what would be the better option considering my few requirements above?

Edit: It also seems like there are far more resources for DIY work/maintenence for WJs

Thanks

nullfox fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Nov 27, 2009

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

WildFoxMedia posted:

Is that a fair way of thinking about it? Does anyone have any insight on what would be the better option considering my few requirements above?

To be completely honest I really haven't seen very much in terms of upgrades for the WK so if you are planning on building up a jeep to wheel and you were picking between the two I would go with a WJ. Sure it has some problems, but I agree it looks a bit nicer then the WK and is completely capable off-road. Especially with a lift and some bigger tires.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

WildFoxMedia posted:

Depends. What's your definition of off-roading and trails?

There's a hell of a lot more aftermarket for the WJ at this point, and you'll also probably feel a lot less bad about beating it around if you're really getting into the rough stuff. You can get it with the I6 if that's what gets you off, and it uses relatively simple "dumb" transfer cases. Which isn't to say the t-cases won't fail, they're just conceptually/functionally more simple and potentially easier to repair. Cargo space is more usable on the WJ despite being roughly the same overall size between the two models. Plus you can stuff things under the rear seat bottoms.

On the flip side, the WK's got a smaller but high-quality selection of aftermarket parts, and still upgrades nicely for most purposes. Per Jeep engineering, it has more front articulation (!) and holds traction better than the WJ. The unibody is also stiffened a considerable amount. Transfer cases are full-time (vs. most of the WJs having progressive AWD), but they're also no longer dumb—there's electronic black magic running a torque biasing clutch. And if you're throwing it into the thick of things, it's currently a much more expensive vehicle. Not that that stops Land Rover or Touareg owners. Hell, or Wrangler owners anymore.

nullfox
Aug 19, 2008
I would say my definition of wheeling includes mudding & forest trails with small river/creek crossings, rock gardens and going over large sections of granite of varying grades. Something like the following images:

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Click here for the full 700x466 image.

Your correct in regards to feeling less bad about dinging up a WJ when poo poo happens.

I think im gonna go take a peak at the 04 Overland I found.

Thanks fellas

Jaheebo
May 6, 2004
Quest for sterility
I miss my Comanche, Best truck ever...I did snap this picture of a jeep at Best buy that brought a tear to my eye.

nullfox
Aug 19, 2008
Just realized that its probably worth giving you guys the URL to the Grand Cherokee im looking at.

http://www.normandinchryslerjeep.net/used-inventory/2004-Jeep-Grand+Cherokee/caa24a3e4046381e00ffce212f9567a1.htm

According to KBB, in "Excellent" condition, its valued around 17,700 which is on par with their price.

Does this seem like a good deal to you guys? Im not much of a ball buster with dealers, so I dont expect to talk the price down much beyond "Yea, I want to spend like XXX a month max"

Edit: Also found a couple on CarMax, but I dont really know anything about them good or bad (CarMax that is)

nullfox fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Nov 27, 2009

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
There are 8 04's around here on craigslist for under 10k, I'd say 17 is a bit steep. I don't think any of them are Overlands with 55k either, but when you could save 7-10k by going with a 6cyl with cloth seats...

sanchez fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 27, 2009

Goob
Jul 10, 2001

The M-1 does my talking.

WildFoxMedia posted:

Just realized that its probably worth giving you guys the URL to the Grand Cherokee im looking at.

http://www.normandinchryslerjeep.net/used-inventory/2004-Jeep-Grand+Cherokee/caa24a3e4046381e00ffce212f9567a1.htm

According to KBB, in "Excellent" condition, its valued around 17,700 which is on par with their price.

Does this seem like a good deal to you guys? Im not much of a ball buster with dealers, so I dont expect to talk the price down much beyond "Yea, I want to spend like XXX a month max"

Edit: Also found a couple on CarMax, but I dont really know anything about them good or bad (CarMax that is)
That WJ doesn't appear to be 4WD. I don't see a shifter and the listing mentions it's just RWD, which makes 17k a ridiculous price.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

Goob posted:

That WJ doesn't appear to be 4WD. I don't see a shifter and the listing mentions it's just RWD, which makes 17k a ridiculous price.

This man is correct in every way. Do not even bother looking at this thing.

And to avoid a double post. I need to replace the dash lights in my WJ. One of the backlights went out and I figured I might as well just change them all out in one go. The bulb number i need is a #103 (part number L00PC121) and I was debating on swapping them out for LEDs instead, however I cannot find a replacement for that bulb number. Does anyone have any websites they could suggest for buying led replacements for my dash? The only place I know of is https://www.superlumination.com

Henchman 21 fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 27, 2009

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
I use http://www.autolumination.com/

edit: n/m, same site different domain :downs:

There's also http://v-leds.com

You probably need the #74 type. My Cherokee's dash had the same 103 markings on the bulb, I replaced them with #74 LED's. If you get the neo-wedges (type C, T5), get the superstars as the regular ones aren't very radiant.

Philip J Fry fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 28, 2009

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

WildFoxMedia posted:

If this already came up, and was beat to death, feel free to beat me to death.

I've changed my mind a number of times between a car, truck, suv etc and particular cars in each category. I've decided that I want to get a Grand Cherokee - I used to drive my parents 97 GC and while it had a few issues, it was all around, not a bad car.

This is going to my daily driver and as I save up extra cash, I plan to use it for wheeling/trails and weekend camping trips.

My issue now is deciding between a WJ and WK - Personally, I like the looks of the WJ more, but my girlfriend, likes the "newness" of WK's. Ive been reading around and it seems like the consensus is:

Edit: It also seems like there are far more resources for DIY work/maintenence for WJs

Thanks

I've had two WJs and a WK, and I have to say that I prefer the WJs more. Especially if you get one later in the run 2001-2004. The WKs are nice, don't get me wrong, and feel a bit more "luxury" than the WJs, but the WJs are fairly bullet proof and a lot easier to work on. Plus they'll be cheaper for you. My WK (2005) had a little bit more room though, so it you're tall, you might fit better in a WK.

I see you posted an Overland later on. Personally, I'm not sure the Overland is worth the extra scratch. Get a Limited instead if you like leather and toys.

Also, dealers tend to charge a premium for Grand Cherokees because they sell very well. If you feel like taking the effort, buying from a private seller will (almost) always net you a better price.

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 27, 2009

nullfox
Aug 19, 2008
Thanks all for the responses - I admit, I must be a true idiot, or maybe I can just blame it on too much Thanksgiving goodness, but I didnt even realize that the Overland I posted wasn't 4wd.

I've been mucking around a few different sites and im noticing in some cases, finding an 02-04 with under 70k miles can be kind of a pain in the rear end.

As for finding a private seller - my only concern was dealing with selling/trading-in my 03 F150 and getting financing going through a private seller.

In any case, im going to keep looking around.

Edit: Oh goons, I come with another potential car, this one seems like a much better deal, and it is 4x4 this time! http://bit.ly/752oPv

nullfox fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 28, 2009

LargeHardonCollider
Feb 14, 2005

BRRRRIIING!...Hellllo?
Proud owner of a '88 Jeep Cherokee. Got it for $1250 with a 3" lift 33's and a locker.

Best part though? I can be as hard as I want to be on it because I can run down to the junkyard and pick up 5 of the same parts I broke. Your not wheeling until you break something right?

Best toy ever

Slack3r
Feb 20, 2004

LargeHardonCollider posted:

Proud owner of a '88 Jeep Cherokee. Got it for $1250 with a 3" lift 33's and a locker.

Best toy ever

That is pure awesome there... Hahahhahahha.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Best part though? I can be as hard as I want to be on it because I can run down to the junkyard and pick up 5 of the same parts I broke. Your not wheeling until you break something right?

Best toy ever

Awesome Cherokee. I can't believe the price to performance ratio for Cherokees--it seems like 2-3k will get one in great shape for offroading.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Until you put it on youtube and everyone rants how [X] is poo poo off road.

But yes, you quickly learn to start carrying all sorts of spare poo poo. When you start fixing other peoples rigs on the trails more than your own, you know you've got too much stuff.

:3:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

WildFoxMedia posted:

I would say my definition of wheeling includes mudding & forest trails with small river/creek crossings, rock gardens and going over large sections of granite of varying grades. Something like the following images:

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Click here for the full 700x466 image.

Your correct in regards to feeling less bad about dinging up a WJ when poo poo happens.

I think im gonna go take a peak at the 04 Overland I found.

Thanks fellas

A friend has an 08 turbo diesel cherokee... Upland or overland edition or whatever. The traction control setup they have is good. It's similar to the Toyota FJ cruiser setup. Ground clearance and girth aside, I would put the traction comparible to a rubicon locked front and rear. Now obviously the rubicon is much more capable, but if you're in a situation where you're going to hang a tire up in the air, the new cherokees with that traction control setup is going to pull passed where an open diff vehicle would spin the tires.

on the flipside, the jeep commander has a lot of parts for it now. A friend has one with a 3" lift and 33" tires. They seem to worth rather well.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Best toy ever

After you upgrade to the newer style axles with the bigger u-joints, consider adding these. http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=IROR&Product_Code=IR-S_AAK

They would have prevented that failure. FYI the u-joint collars on the axles normally go, not the shaft part, just like yours did.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

meatpimp posted:

Crossposted from stupid questions thread -- 1993 Wrangler -- is there anything in particular I need to know about doing front pads/rotors on this vehicle, or is it standard remove/replace?

Nope, just straight remove/replace. Don't even have to remove the caliper mounting bracket, take off the caliper and the disc comes right off.

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon

jonathan posted:

A friend has an 08 turbo diesel cherokee... Upland or overland edition or whatever.

Where can I get this mystical 08 TD Cherokee??? Do you mean Grand Cherokee? I never heard of an Overland Cherokee either.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

fordham posted:

Where can I get this mystical 08 TD Cherokee??? Do you mean Grand Cherokee? I never heard of an Overland Cherokee either.

In 2008 an export model WK Grand Cherokee had a 3.0l common rail V6. It was available in the Grand Cherokee Limited and Overland models. But they weren't turbocharged as far as I know.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fordham posted:

The Liberty is still called the Cherokee overseas as far as I know.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

fordham posted:

I dunno I figured they were common ? I'm in Canada. My friend Payam bought one a few months back, Diesel 3.0L Grand Cherokee Overlander or something. I figured it was Turbo diesel, like the TD JK Wranglers in europe. Perhaps its just Diesel ? That wouldn't make sense.

I guess these photos don't prove much. He said he got the 08 because the diesel wasn't offered in 09/10 He has a 3 or 4" lift on it with 31" tires, and he usually removed the front bumper and straps it to the roof for better approach angles.

Yup, just doublechecked with him

'08 Grand Cherokee overland CRD
TDC power chip, MSD dashhawk
3.5" lift, 32" goodyear wrangler silent armors

jonathan fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Nov 29, 2009

Clamwacker
Feb 12, 2007

It is now time to rock out with your cock out. BEGIN!
You gotta love it when a guy is willing to wheel an 08, even if it isn't anything tough.

And on the topic of older Cherokees being great toys, it's so true! My buddy got a '95 with the 4 liter for $1500 (it had 285,000 miles), replaced the clutch and put on some 30" tires and a 2" lift, and now he's tearing poo poo up. He just took the door off with absolutely no concern as to whether he could get it back on again -- and he can't without custom brackets.

It was him that inspired me to buy my '91 Wrangler, and while my rig isn't exactly expensive, I find myself being a lot more careful on the trail than he is. (Mine's worth 3 or 4 times more heh)

We were at the Halloween Poker Run in Tillamook State Forest a month or two ago, and at one point they have a game where you have to try and throw a stuffed animal out your window, with the goal being to get it to land where your rear axle was. So you have to toss it and then drive forward. He revved the engine and dumped the clutch while he threw it, and there was a very loud BANG!, but the animal landed exactly where the axle was.

Everybody else was shocked, and 3 or 4 people said "that dude just busted something", so we pulled over and inspected it, and despite the fact that it sounded like he busted his axle, it is perfectly fine.

Plus the radiator was blown, so he only started it when power was necessary to complete a task such as the one above -- for everything else we were towed behind his brother's LJ. A bit of stop leak and it works fine again, although he says he will replace the radiator (which means it'll happen in 2011).

As far as give-no-gently caress offroad fun is concerned, I don't believe you can beat a 90's Cherokee.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
Thank California, as far as I'm concerned we'll never see a small diesel in a truck or SUV in the US ever again.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

jonathan posted:

Yup, just doublechecked with him

'08 Grand Cherokee overland CRD
TDC power chip, MSD dashhawk
3.5" lift, 32" goodyear wrangler silent armors

I stand corrected. Thats a nice Jeep

MedicTwentyTwo
Apr 7, 2009
Okay I guess it's time for me to check in:

98' XJ, 5" lift, 31" tires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?
Yesterday something real nice appeared in my garage. Just in time too, as I was feeling very angry about my bank balance been empty!

It's a '90 YJ 4.2L. 31" Yokohamas, 1" lift, Weber carburetor. 138,000 miles. It's nice as holy crap.

That thing you see there? Yup, that's a rock

So yeah, that's my new baby. Bitch runs wonderfully and could possibly be the best purchase ever, as other than missing the passenger mirror, broken driver's seat, and a little problem with the rear door, mechanic says it's perfect (and I feel it that way too). It's going to the mechanic tomorrow but I'll soon put her to the test :D

In the meanwhile, I really want to get a book to service it myself. My dad tells me Chilton's is the best, while some googling tells me Hayne's is a nice complement. I've been thinking of both, but Amazon reviewers mark them as bad. What should I get?