Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

PurpleFender posted:

Type 4 VW? If you ever own an ACVW, you get to look at the motor. A lot :v:

Spot on.

If you look closer one is an 1800 and the other is a 2L. The 2L has smaller valves. No I didn't get that backwards, to those who are unfamiliar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

Hi, boys and girls, I'm Jimmy Carl Black, and I'm the Indian of the group!

InterceptorV8 posted:

Don't.

I think if that didn't happen, he would have rigged it to happen.

Rigged it to happen??? 'splain!

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

DiscoDickTease posted:

Rigged it to happen??? 'splain!

He worked with the guys widow - he would have rigged it to happen = she was a beast.

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

Hi, boys and girls, I'm Jimmy Carl Black, and I'm the Indian of the group!
Gotcha.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1281659 :gonk:

Guy with a BMW doesn't change his oil for 60,000 miles. Pictures include aftermath.

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

Money, Clothes, and Hoes;
All a Nigga Knows

ijustam posted:

Guy with a BMW doesn't change his oil for 60,000 miles. Pictures include aftermath.

Holy poo poo, I literally gasped at the amount of sludge.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

ijustam posted:

:barf:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I bet the engine in my work truck looks very similar to that BMW. The oil filter is rusty if that is any indication of when the oil was last changed.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!
I wonder what blackstone would have to say on that...

Supposedly one of my uncles bought a used accord in the 80s with 150k on it, changed the oil once when he got it, and sold it 2 years later with 275k, and the same oil... (He was a sales rep for an eyeglass frame maker, so he had to travel his rear end off...)

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

Sponge! posted:

I wonder what blackstone would have to say on that...

Supposedly one of my uncles bought a used accord in the 80s with 150k on it, changed the oil once when he got it, and sold it 2 years later with 275k, and the same oil... (He was a sales rep for an eyeglass frame maker, so he had to travel his rear end off...)

well, 125,000 miles is about 117,500 more than you would want to go on one oil change, but if he was only driving for 10 hr stretches non-stop, the engine might not be ruined. Engines love to run forever, it's the starting and stopping they hate.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

The Third Man posted:

That's amazing.

Left side: delicious chocolate pudding
Right side: huge pile of poo poo
Camshafts in the background: tar

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

orange lime posted:

That's amazing.

Left side: delicious chocolate pudding
Right side: huge pile of poo poo
Camshafts in the background: tar

I'm going to go outside and hug my BMW

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

Money, Clothes, and Hoes;
All a Nigga Knows

chem42 posted:

I'm going to go outside and change my oil

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I just did the valve cover gasket, and it was spotless in there with about 200k miles on the clock. Regular oil changes with synthetic make a difference.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.

The Third Man posted:

How is it even possible that this car still works.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

primitive posted:

Superior german adhesives valvetrains

blankooie
Jul 21, 2009

primitive posted:

My bet is that he kept topping it up with enough "liquid" oil so that it could at least stay a bit lubricated

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Aw poo poo, a nail in a nearly new tire..

Wait.. :what:

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
Ok, what?

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn
Assuming that was left inside when the tire was mounted to the wheel. Also wow.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

Ericadia posted:

Assuming that was left inside when the tire was mounted to the wheel. Also wow.

Yeah, I mean I use small combo wrenches all the time to mount tires.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

ab0z posted:

Yeah, I mean I use small combo wrenches all the time to mount tires.

Well, I doubt a small combo wrench could puncture a tire, especially not the box end.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

Ericadia posted:

Well, I doubt a small combo wrench could puncture a tire, especially not the box end.

What I'm saying is, yeah it appears the wrench was left in there, but loving WHY

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

ab0z posted:

What I'm saying is, yeah it appears the wrench was left in there, but loving WHY

Maybe an impromptu (and highly ineffective) tire iron? I don't know! :psyduck:

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Owner didn't report any noise prior to the puncture.

It's a 12mm which is like.. 7/16ths?

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Whitey Ford posted:

Aw poo poo, a nail in a nearly new tire..

Wait.. :what:

Hmm, you're supposed to use BBs to balance tires internally. Right?

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
What brand is the wrench?

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Whitey Ford posted:

Owner didn't report any noise prior to the puncture.

It's a 12mm which is like.. 7/16ths?

Does the car have TPMS? Could have been forgotten after a sensor was installed/removed. (Although I'm not sure if that is a common size for the retention nuts on those)

ChauchetRedemption
Sep 11, 2001

Were not accustomed to occupying defensive positions. Its destructive to morale.

ab0z posted:

Superior german adhesives valvetrains
_______________________/

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

Magnum1371 posted:

_______________________/

If I can do it with one finger, you can do it with your whole hand!

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I have a half inch combo wrench I pulled out of my tire that did exactly that.

blankooie
Jul 21, 2009
I once had a 1/2" drill bit go into a tire. The rapid deflation still haunts me...

But hey, free box wrench!

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
I'd bet the wrench was put on or in the tire "just for a minute" while working on something else, then got forgotten and the tire monkey wasn't paying any attention while mounting it.

One time the body shop where I work broke the band that holds the TPMS sensor to the wheel and decided that instead of walking over to parts and eating the $4 for another band they could substitute masking tape.

Yeah. Customer came into service within a few days complaining that the TPMS light was on and there was a noise in the wheel. The tech that found the pressure sensor bouncing around loose in a snarl of blue painter's tape inside was very :wtc:.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

ab0z posted:

What brand is the wrench?

I think it's a Craftsman.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

pienipple posted:

I'd bet the wrench was put on or in the tire "just for a minute" while working on something else, then got forgotten and the tire monkey wasn't paying any attention while mounting it.

One time the body shop where I work broke the band that holds the TPMS sensor to the wheel and decided that instead of walking over to parts and eating the $4 for another band they could substitute masking tape.

Yeah. Customer came into service within a few days complaining that the TPMS light was on and there was a noise in the wheel. The tech that found the pressure sensor bouncing around loose in a snarl of blue painter's tape inside was very :wtc:.

Haha, not even a tape with decent adhesive, but a kind designed to come off. Nice.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I could take a picture, but words should suffice for this. I am 500 miles from home with a 99 Camry. On our way to meet my girlfriend's parents for dinner, I go to leave a stop light and hear a BANG and the car starts running really rough. I pull into the gas station at the corner and pop the hood. No belts off, fan shroud looks good, nothing really obvious. I have the girlfriend start the car and I realize what's wrong: the spark plug wire is hanging off the motor. I have her shut it down and peer with a flashlight into the cylinder and realize that the spark plug is missing!

The damned thing backed out over the past few years and finally let go, leaving a sizable dent in the hood. We get her parents to pick us up and the restaurant was right next to Autozone so I picked up a set of plugs, not knowing if the threads were stripped or not. I couldn't get the plug to tighten down, and I couldn't get it out so I feared the worst. For shits and giggles I tried to start it again, and BANG the new plug shot out also! We found the plug and then realized it had the rubber boot from the spark plug lead on it. After removing the rubber it snugged down just fine. Another trip to the auto parts store for a new set of wires and the car is running like new again.

Craziest thing I've ever seen. I can't believe that it didn't strip the threads, and I also can't believe the size of dent in my hood. The second hit wasn't nearly as violent as it was just compression shooting it out and not combustion, but now my Camry has nipples.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

One of my friends just shot a plug out of his 99 Crown Vic. Threads are gone though, you got lucky.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
My dad's F150 did that too. It was a lovely spark plug so it just separated from the ground/threaded portion. Easy fix, but damned if it didn't shake us up a bit when it blew. :v:

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh
I've only heard of sparkplug explosions when someone changed the plugs a few days before, but didn't tighten them enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

The Ford 4.6 hates spark plugs for no apparent reason.