Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.

destructo posted:

Stebel Nautilus

It's perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

orange lime posted:

Train horn?
Foghorn?
Police siren?

Ship horn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjyUfV3W5zk
Or somewhat more dramatic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiWNw0A1Ijg

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Go big or go home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfmTDGDNMgc&feature=related

I think these things had something like a 5 mile range.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
If anything's going to be powered by a v8 on my miata, it wouldn't be the horn.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Tactical Bonnet posted:

It's perfect.

It's easy to install too..shouldn't take more than 15 minutes. It's the first mod I made to each of my miatas. Unfortunately it didn't keep any of them from being totaled out.

iscariot
Oct 7, 2001
I finally started my project thread in http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3230173

If anyone can offer some advice with what to do with a broken diff stud, I'd appreciate it.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
So its proving pretty much impossible to locate an OEM top anywhere within reasonable distance. The only ones that come up are really poorly done aftermarket tops that mount with screws and poo poo like that.

So, like someone mentioned earlier, I started looking at what appear to be decent quality aftermarket tops. It appears some people have dropped out of the group buy for: http://www.aerokits.net/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=75_194&products_id=1896

I'm not really a fan of the CF look at all and would just have it painted to body color. The GB price is $1300 shipped which is a pretty good deal if I can get in on it.

The other option, that seems to make more sense, is to buy http://www.aerokits.net/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=75_194&products_id=4037 which is just a basic fiberglass top that will probably end up being around $1000 shipped. I cant find any reviews on this one at all and am a little wary of it.

Are there any real downsides to the first top? Reviews seem to be positive, and regardless of what I think of the carbon fiber overlay, its a pretty good deal. Just to be sure, there is no problem painting on clear coated carbon fiber, yeah?

At this point I'll take all the help I can get because I need a top soon. Its been pouring here the past few weeks and I really dont want small leaks to start creating rust under my carpet.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
The CF tops are the exact same as the plain fiberglass top you linked to, just with a CF overlay. No difference as far as I know. Might want to PM Chaseraero over on CR.net to make sure, but they look identical inside and out.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
Has anyone done this "foamectomy" business to their seat cushion? I've removed the padding from the back of the seat and it helped a little bit, but I'm wondering how substantial and effect cutting some foam from the cushion will have. My hands hit the top of my thighs if I crank the wheel around enough, and it's really annoying.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

The Third Man posted:

Has anyone done this "foamectomy" business to their seat cushion? I've removed the padding from the back of the seat and it helped a little bit, but I'm wondering how substantial and effect cutting some foam from the cushion will have. My hands hit the top of my thighs if I crank the wheel around enough, and it's really annoying.

I did it to only the bottom of the seat, and now it's really uncomfortable to sit in for over half an hour. It didn't really lower me that much, either. Taking some foam out of the back would maybe help with the comfort, but otherwise it didn't really work well for me.

Speaking of seats, I'll be replacing mine over the winter for some Corbeau Forza's and harnesses. I'm looking to make this car into a track/weekend car for HPDE's and wanted some opinions on what I'll be doing over the winter.

-2 Corbeau Forza seats
-2 Corbeau Harnesses, 5 point w/camlocks
-Hawk HP+ pads, front and rear
-Stainless brake lines...?
-Motul RBF 600 brake fluid
-Possibly a new radiator (mine is browning on top) & coolant hoses

The car is in good shape otherwise and I've done all the other fluid changes to it (trans, diff, oil) and will probably do the timing belt over the winter as well to finish up most of the maintenance. Maybe a new fuel filter and cleaning of the air filter (K&N) and that would be the extent of things. Any other suggestions? The car already has a Hard Dog roll bar that should be legal for track days. I'm not looking for any real power adders since I want to learn to drive properly first and not kill myself. :) The car is a 94 R package with a RB front sway and Koni yellows on it which will likely be swapped back for the stock bilsteins since they've been bottomed out and the adjustment rods are bent (won't adjust anymore and set on very firm...).

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Apr 23, 2005
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

The Third Man posted:

It works great! I did it to my drivers seat about 5 years ago and I can't imagine going back to the way it was before. The seat feels much better. I'd say I gained about 1.5-2". To put it in perspective, I am 6'1" and can wear an XL size helmet without touching the hardtop. I didn't remove any from the back of the seat, just the bottom.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

DreamOn13 posted:

-Hawk HP+ pads, front and rear
-Stainless brake lines...?
-Motul RBF 600 brake fluid
-Possibly a new radiator (mine is browning on top) & coolant hoses
You might want to consider Carbotech pads for serious stuff. XP 10/8 (front/rear) or 12/10 would probably suit you better. I'd call Emilio over at 949. There's also a SS GB going on for brake/clutch lines over at miataturbo, anecdotes seem to indicates that they're good stuff for a solid price.

threepac
Sep 26, 2008

OHMED!
So today I got rear-ended in my Miata :gay:. I thought it was pretty appropriate.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
destructo: the Hawk HP+s are alright for starting out HPDEs.

threepac: Who was the top?

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX posted:

It works great! I did it to my drivers seat about 5 years ago and I can't imagine going back to the way it was before. The seat feels much better. I'd say I gained about 1.5-2". To put it in perspective, I am 6'1" and can wear an XL size helmet without touching the hardtop. I didn't remove any from the back of the seat, just the bottom.

How much foam did you remove? Did you just simply lop off an even hunk from the foam cushion, or is it more complicated than that?

threepac
Sep 26, 2008

OHMED!

Phone posted:

destructo: the Hawk HP+s are alright for starting out HPDEs.

threepac: Who was the top?

A Mazda 3

Kept our little affair all in the family

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

The Third Man posted:

How much foam did you remove? Did you just simply lop off an even hunk from the foam cushion, or is it more complicated than that?

If you cut from the underside of the foam, you'll see an appropriate sized hunk to cut where it bulges to fit the seatpan. It's a good starting point.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

threepac posted:

A Mazda 3

Kept our little affair all in the family

How old was the driver? I was rear-ended in all 3 of my Miatas by teenage girls. The '99 wasn't totaled out by it -- a teenage mother on her cell phone t-boned me trying to turn left at the bottom of a right merging off-ramp took that distinction.

threepac
Sep 26, 2008

OHMED!

Goober Peas posted:

How old was the driver? I was rear-ended in all 3 of my Miatas by teenage girls. The '99 wasn't totaled out by it -- a teenage mother on her cell phone t-boned me trying to turn left at the bottom of a right merging off-ramp took that distinction.

It was a 30-something old woman. What made it particularly fun (not really) was that she was on a suspended license, with no registration, in a car that wasn't hers.

Fortunately the owner showed up, and his insurance will cover it
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

threepac fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 28, 2009

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You better have uninsured.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Apr 23, 2005
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

The Third Man posted:

A couple inches or so. Take your seat out, flip it upside down, and take a look. There will be part of the bottom that kinda sticks out more than the rest. I cut out all the foam that would go inside there when you sit on the seat. I figured that if I wanted more out I could just cut out more, but it didnt need it.

Actually, I followed this (only the top section of this link) -> http://www.miata.net/garage/headroom.html

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

Am I the only one who is very, very sad when it's cold enough that I have to drive around with the top up? I hate winter time. :smith:

Tactical Bonnet fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Nov 28, 2009

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Am I the only one who is very, very sad when it's cold enough that I have to drive around with the top up? I hate winter time. :smith:

Grow a pair. I've driven my car top-down in sub-freezing temperatures. Get some gloves, an extra jacket and a scarf that covers your mouth and cheeks and enjoy the hypothermic air :v:

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004
Shit happens when you party naked.
The coldest I have driven with the top down is 35. Coincidentally, that's about the coldest it ever gets here :c00l:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Look on the bright side, when it does start snowing you get to powerslide at 15mph. :cool:

threepac
Sep 26, 2008

OHMED!

Tactical Bonnet posted:

That's why you have a jacket and a heater

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

threepac posted:

That's why you have a jacket and a heater

Or a toque and a scarf :gay:

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

Savington posted:

Grow a pair. I've driven my car top-down in sub-freezing temperatures. Get some gloves, an extra jacket and a scarf that covers your mouth and cheeks and enjoy the hypothermic air :v:

I rode a motorcycle all winter last year. The coldest I've ever ridden in was about 17F. I didn't buy a car so I could still be cold on the way to work during winter.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Back to this whole mileage thing. I just did 249.3 miles from the border of MN to Madison WI at an average speed of 77.9mph and filled up with 6.728 gallons when I got back into town. I did a bit of hooning about on the highway and still ended up getting 37mpg flat. I just switched over to my "winter" tires (195/14/65 Bridgestone no seasons) and had them at about 34psi. Slight tailwind but not entirely in the correct direction of ~4-6mph.

Maybe my car is just running stupid lean at cruise due to poo poo being gunked up :v:

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

It seems my mileage is a tad low, then. Maybe it's because after the first mile toward where-ever I'm going I spend the whole drive there a gear too low and running too fast, looking like a cross between :buddy: and :gay: .

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Replaced the water thermistor on my '92 today (CEL #9). drat removing the coilpack is a bitch.. the bottom bolt in the back, yeah, not putting that back in.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Blaise posted:

Replaced the water thermistor on my '92 today (CEL #9). drat removing the coilpack is a bitch.. the bottom bolt in the back, yeah, not putting that back in.

When I did my timing belt I found out that my bottom bolt was loose. While I did other stuff my OCD friend fiddled around with that stupid thing until he got it tight. Took him a good 20 minutes, and he has small hands. I would have never gotten near it with my giant rear end hands. We both just assumed it came from the engine being mounted transversely in other applications where it would have been quite easy to get at. Still, stupid design.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Well I bought a black 1998 NB a few days ago. My first car purchase (after two crappy hand-me-downs)

It's lots of fun to drive. Still learning manual though :P

Pictures will come soon. Here is a list of crap to fix (for my own records mainly)

• Found lots and lots of water sitting in boot. I think the drivers side drain was blocked. Will have to wait till it gets wet again
  • Aerial sort of fixed. goes down completely now but will only go up a 3 segments :(
  • Found terrible MDF speaker spacers in the doors which weren't painted or protected in any way from the wet. Result? rusted through screws straight into into the bodywork, and exploding mdf :psyduck:
  • Top has a few minor holes in the side. Probably won't worry about it
  • Rattling heat shield :argh:
  • Need to replace crappy head unit and speakers
  • Need to strip and re-paint top latches. Also need to file down stops so they actually lock :downs:

I'm sure there's more. I'll post pictures as I progress. I think it'll be slow going though; having too much fun driving it around :haw:

Granite Octopus fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Dec 2, 2009

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

the water in the trunk(my water in my trunk) is from a leaky rain rail that flows down the rear deck and through a hole into the top of my spare tire.

Check the drains first though.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I haven't done anything about it yet, but I have water in my trunk. I have great suspicion that it's the gaskets around the tail lamps. It's hard to have bad rain rail drainage when you have a hardtop. :v:

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Phone posted:

I haven't done anything about it yet, but I have water in my trunk. I have great suspicion that it's the gaskets around the tail lamps. It's hard to have bad rain rail drainage when you have a hardtop. :v:

Definitely check your rear lights - it's only a few bolts from the inside. One of my seals was completely missing! :(

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Checking my brakes last night I found that my car has/had been rubbing pretty bad at some point. The inner fender liners are toast and even parts of the actual chassis are down to bare metal. I know the guy who had the car before me raced it in stock class in autox and had slicks on it at some point, and the car has konis. He also said he used to have them set on the lowest perch setting, so that may have been when this happened. They look so fresh (the fresh metal isn't rusted) that I wonder if it's my current wheels and tires. They're just a set of 15" steel wheels from a 2001ish civic with 205/50's on them. I guess I'll have to put a jack under the wheel and pump it up to max compression and try and turn the wheel? Is that really the best way to go about it? I plan on painting the area and putting some undercoating back on, but want to make sure it isn't my tire that's the problem so I'm not doing this twice.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
For a quick and dirty test couldn't you just hit the spot that is being rubbed (or was being rubbed) with a little paint, drive and inspect? Sounds easier than your test if you can get to the spots in question.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Tactical Bonnet posted:

the water in the trunk(my water in my trunk) is from a leaky rain rail that flows down the rear deck and through a hole into the top of my spare tire.

Check the drains first though.

NAs and NBs get dryrot around the third tail light lens. The trunk lid then rusts from the inside out. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

drip drip.

flow flow.

(this photo was taken upside-down)

Down into the trunk it goes.

It's not from around the third brake light.