Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Here we go.
http://www.onemanga.com/Hajime_no_Ippo/573/15/

Seriously as soon as Ippo hits Jungle Boy he's just going to destroy him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
So I basically read like 500 chapters of the manga in 2 weeks and caught up, and I'm finding this Ippo vs. Monkey fight irritating as hell. Ippo's fighting style is starting to frustrate me, because he's basically a meatshield at this point and only wins because of his freakish stamina and fantastic coaching. For awhile that was okay, but it's getting tiresome. :(

and the bullshit that occurs every time Kumi makes an appearance is just getting frustrating, and I hope Itagaki leaves the gym and steals Kumi and beats Ricardo Martinez and Ippo has to fight Itagaki to discover WHAT IT MEANS TO BE STRONG and get Kumi back oh and Ippo marries Miyata the end

I Know the Answer to That
Jan 26, 2005
I'm a caring potato.

Serious Frolicking posted:

So it has really been more than 300 chapters since they hinted at a new dempsey roll with no payoff?

I thought the "new" dempsey roll was meant to be some sort of combination between the normal one and that crazy dempsey upper he did on scratch J.

at least i think it was a dempsey roll with an upper, its been a while since i read that chapter i'll have to go back and find it..

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
It's a dempsey roll that can't be predicted. If you do a right hook then the next punch is a left one. But if it can be either a left or an upper, counter users won't know what the gently caress.

Think about the power progressions in this manga though. How on earth is Miyata supposed to SURVIVE a move like that, let alone stand up to it.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
A counter clockwise Dempsey Roll.:colbert:

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
How about a dempsey roll that users Downers (the opposite of uppercuts DUH). Ippo could have a reputation of dealing brain damage to every opponent.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Geop posted:

Man. Re-reading the Kamogawa flashback fight was amazing :pcgaming: What happened, Mori :(

At least we'll get to see it animated soon... hopefully.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

tazman posted:

How about a dempsey roll that users Downers (the opposite of uppercuts DUH). Ippo could have a reputation of dealing brain damage to every opponent.

I want there to be some arc where Ippo kills his opponent and spends months trying to deal with his guilt over the incident.

What really confuses me about this fight is that neither Mori nor any of his editor(s) said "you know, this fight is kinda gay." I mean, I can't imagine anyone giving the thumbs up on how this is progressing.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I want there to be some arc where Ippo kills his opponent and spends months trying to deal with his guilt over the incident.

Is that meant to be a reference to Jojo's Bizarre Adventure? :v:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I figure it has been going so long and successfully that they just let him do what he wants.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Serious Frolicking posted:

I figure it has been going so long and successfully that they just let him do what he wants.

I think it's more that they've been making him keep at it so long he literally doesn't give a gently caress.

I Know the Answer to That
Jan 26, 2005
I'm a caring potato.

tazman posted:

Think about the power progressions in this manga though. How on earth is Miyata supposed to SURVIVE a move like that, let alone stand up to it.

probably punch him faster than the speed of sound or something..

Niklas Kronwall 2.0
May 15, 2009
876 spoilers

Woli continues to abuse Ippo

Big L
Oct 30, 2005

Fedora Emelianenko
This hardly needs a spoiler at this point. :(

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Niklas Kronwall 2.0 posted:

876 spoilers

Woli continues to abuse Ippo

I'm honestly trying to think of a more boring & disappointing fight. I really am. poo poo I'd rather read an Aoki fight right about now.

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
Now come on, that fight he had against that dude with the ugly girlfriend was pretty cool. Now, Kimura fights are boring. He's like a shitter version of Miyata.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

tazman posted:

Now come on, that fight he had against that dude with the ugly girlfriend was pretty cool. Now, Kimura fights are boring. He's like a shitter version of Miyata.

Pretty much :( Poor dude. Haven't read his Mashiba fight in forever, but I remember those two title bouts being pretty awesome.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Remember when one of the foreign trainers was telling the Kamogawa guys that the "Japanese Samurai Spirit" didn't matter when your opponent was way better (or something like that) only to get beaten by the samurai spirit?

Well, the current bullshit right now is 1000 times worse than that. Ippo is completely outclassed but, even if he falls 10 times, he will continue to stand up and fight, with broken hands and fractured ribs, always forward, cause nothing beats the Japanese spirit! :jerkbag:

After he finally beats woli, I bet the next foreigner boxer will hide a Taser in his gloves. Actually, I have trouble thinking on something that could be worse than this fight. A double-joined boxer that hits from weird angles? Dhalsim-with-gloves?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Honestly whether it's Aoki's looking-away trick or Kimura's Dragonfish-uppercut-thingy, both of them are more interesting fights than this poo poo.

Yo Ippo I think you're ready to take on the World!

(Kinnikuman No Ippo would be loving awesome)

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

trucutru posted:

Dhalsim-with-gloves?

If that means extendo gloves they already did it. It was awful. I hope you've blocked it out of your memory cuz that's more than I can say about myself :(

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I'm guessing that Ippo's next opponent will be some sort of 12 year old ~genius~. Yes, that is below the minimum age for a pro license. It won't matter because he is just such an elite genius. He may also have psychic powers. We are already trapped in physically impossible bullshit, so why not psychic boxing out of nowhere?

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
You know who I hope his next opponent is? MIYATA. GOD drat IT I'M SICK OF THIS.

(will be reading it anyway for the next 20 years)

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
I think I'm just going to sit on my hands and wait until the news breaks here that the jungle fight is over because poo poo is terminally dumb.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Ok, I got it! Who can take as much punishment as Ippo? Who can stand up to Ippos super-blows? That's right, his next opponent should be a Zombie Boxer. They could even have this cool backstory of how Kamogawa killed him (in 1 hit, with his eyes closed) and now he is back for revenge.

If not that then Cyborg Arms, the next guy should be Jax with cyborg arms.

DamnGlitch posted:

If that means extendo gloves they already did it. It was awful. I hope you've blocked it out of your memory cuz that's more than I can say about myself :(

Nah, that's weak. We need an honest-to-god boxer with a 12 feet reach who wears a children skull necklace. (Man, that magician fight sucked, but not as much as this "the jungle book" bullshit.)

trucutru fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 30, 2009

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

trucutru posted:

Ok, I got it! Who can take as much punishment as Ippo? Who can stand up to Ippos super-blows? That's right, his next opponent should be a Zombie Boxer. They could even have this cool backstory of how Kamogawa killed him (in 1 hit, with his eyes closed) and now he is back for revenge.

If not that then Cyborg Arms, the next guy should be Jax with cyborg arms.

It definitely needs some Ippo VS Evil Ippo with a goatee action, or maybe just take a break and cover Takamura's efforts to become the world champion of everything.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Tricky posted:

It definitely needs some Ippo VS Evil Ippo with a goatee action, or maybe just take a break and cover Takamura's efforts to become the world champion of everything.

Maybe we cna tack on Takamura going back in time and beating the tar out of Ali and Foreman SIMULTANEOUSLY :black101:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
So where does this go from being about boxing to being about watching boxing while you're really high?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Geop posted:

Maybe we cna tack on Takamura going back in time and beating the tar out of Ali and Foreman SIMULTANEOUSLY :black101:

Ali already beat the poo poo out of his own son in Grappler Baki. :iia:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Question about the current fight: is grabbing the rope like that even allowed in boxing? :confused:

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot

Sindai posted:

Question about the current fight: is grabbing the rope like that even allowed in boxing? :confused:

From HowStuffWorks posted:

There are a number of things a boxer is not allowed to do inside the ring – this helps prevent injury and keeps matches from degenerating into an uncontrolled brawl. Boxers may not do any of the following:

* Strike below the belt
* Strike when an opponent is down on the canvas
* Kick
* Strike with elbows, forearms or the inside of the hand (slap)
* Head butt
* Bite ears (you wouldn’t think this rule needed to be spelled out, but Mike Tyson proved that wrong)
* Grab onto the ropes
* Poke the eye with a thumb (in the post-fight interview after defeating George Foreman in 1974’s “Rumble in the Jungle,” Muhammad Ali’s right eye was red and swollen from a Foreman eye poke)
* Wrestle, grapple or hold him excessively

Committing any of these acts may result in a foul, which can cause the deduction of points by the judges. Committing a foul repeatedly or very flagrantly will result in a disqualification by the referee.

So I dunno what the gently caress.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

apekillape posted:

So I dunno what the gently caress.

Wikipedia says "They are prohibited from holding the ropes for support when punching". So maybe they are allowed to hold the ropes to do monkey jumps. In any case, a) the rules may have changed from the late 80s - early 90s (when Ippo is fighting) or b) The author doesn't give a poo poo.

I find b) highly likely.

Niklas Kronwall 2.0
May 15, 2009
I think the primary purpose of this fight is to show what will happen when Ippo fights Itagaki, since Woli really seems like a clone of him.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
How about we all get even more depressed and think about the gimmick of the next opponent he'll fight? Can it be even more terrible than the current one? If Ippo hadn't already faced a black boxer that made everyone poo poo themselves then I'd suggest that but who knows.

Some solace to be taken from this fight is that it will likely end Woli's career.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Niklas Kronwall 2.0 posted:

I think the primary purpose of this fight is to show what will happen when Ippo fights Itagaki, since Woli really seems like a clone of him.

I was thinking the same thing at first (hell, they LOOK the same), but their boxing styles are completely different. Itagaki had lots of amateur exposure in addition to being simply an awesome outboxer. Woli is just, well, weird. If anything, their speed and :smuggo:-faces are similar.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Jose posted:

Some solace to be taken from this fight is that it will likely end Woli's career.

I wish you were right about that, but I doubt it. Sounds too dark for this particular fight. Shigeta, Hawk, and Anderson were all broken by fights, but they were also total jerkoffs.

Woli is just a "genius" having fun and being carefree, and causing us all great aggravation in the process.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Jedah posted:

I wish you were right about that, but I doubt it. Sounds too dark for this particular fight. Shigeta, Hawk, and Anderson were all broken by fights, but they were also total jerkoffs.

Woli is just a "genius" having fun and being carefree, and causing us all great aggravation in the process.

Ippo broke Ozma :smithfrog: So sad... His trainer mentioned vertebrae issues at one point due to the hook he took from Ippo at one point (nearing the finisher). It's mentioned around the Hammer Nao bout, I think.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Don't forget Jason Osma (the black guy Ippo fought) got spinal damage in the match he had with Ippo and had to retire.

edit: Little late with this I guess.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm not sure how they can make Ippo win this fight without him just getting in a fluke hit ending the match. They've been basically hammering home the idea that Woli is just flat out faster and he can't hit him.

I would love it if they just disqualified Woli for grabbing the ropes, haha.

Niklas Kronwall 2.0
May 15, 2009
Is it really necessary for Ippo to be the worst champion ever? His career wouldn't last very long with how screwed up he is after every fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remo
Oct 10, 2007

I wish this would go on forever
This fight is a bit lame but I personally don't think its thaaaat bad. Woli is getting a lot of hits in but he probably doesn't actually hit that hard (i hope) I am also, perhaps over optimistically, hoping that the author will take this chance to show Ippo come up with some tactic to deal with Woli's bullshit.