Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

City17
Dec 3, 2006

Pipkin posted:

The Ford 4.6 hates spark plugs for no apparent reason.

Its because the older brother 5.4 hates them also, so why break family tradition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

Landshark posted:

Its because the older brother 5.4 hates them also, so why break family tradition.

Four aluminum threads, that's it. There is plenty of room to have more threads on the head and the plug but nooooo.

I've had to do a couple cyl head jobs because of these. And no, you can't leave the plugs in for 100,000 miles just because the morons at Ford say you can.

thArf
Oct 9, 2009
Found the 2wd hub pics.

Again, the 2wd front hubs are not meant for big tires or abuse and they have no axles to keep them from falling out.

The fix? Full floating hub kits. For only $2300 a pair!
http://www.blitzkriegoffroad.com/products.asp?section=hubs_front_2_5_tt_race

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

Pipkin posted:

The Ford 4.6 hates spark plugs for no apparent reason.

No, it's every Mod Motor in one way or another.

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh

thArf posted:

Found the 2wd hub pics.

Again, the 2wd front hubs are not meant for big tires or abuse and they have no axles to keep them from falling out.

Who the gently caress would do that to a 2wd pick up anyways?
Really, whats the point?
Bling rings? Maybe, but what appear to be "mud tires" and the driving lights?
Is this some how the american equivalent of a Type R sticker and big exhaust/spoilers on a base model civic?

scapulataf fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 29, 2009

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

scapulataf posted:

Really, whats the point?
Is this some how the american equivalent of a Type R sticker and big exhaust/spoilers on a base model civic?

I guess it's some kind of hillbilly style prerunner? AFAIK a 'prerunner' is a 2wd truck that goes off roading. Probably wrong, but there it is.

Disciple of Pain
Dec 4, 2005

PurpleFender posted:

I guess it's some kind of hillbilly style prerunner? AFAIK a 'prerunner' is a 2wd truck that goes off roading. Probably wrong, but there it is.

Prerunners are traditionally the slightly-less modified trucks that would run courses to scout before the race trucks (most of which are 4x2 themselves).

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQTd_xXpDQ0
You can hear that front end snap like toothpicks.

There is a video of a f150 tow truck trying to pull some jeep out of the mud and it ends up bending in half from the strain. I can't seem to find that one.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

I hope the guy pulling paid for that Jeep's repairs, goddamn.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.

ijustam posted:

I hope the guy pulling paid for that Jeep's repairs, goddamn.

Normally I would say "poo poo happens", but whoever was pulling him out didn't know what the gently caress they were doing and should have never agreed/volunteered to do it.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

scapulataf posted:

Really, whats the point?

Pre-runners. A few of our desert race trucks are 2wd, saves on weight.

We converted our 4 wheel drive H1 race truck to 2wd and it took 700 lbs out of the front end [removed differential, transfer case, a few other odds and ends] and put in front steering knuckles from a Trophy truck.

The only thing 4wd buys you in desert racing is being able to breeze through silt.

But back to the picture, it's expensive stuff to do right as someone else pointed out. You can't heavily modify the suspension of the truck and still eave a bunch of OEM parts in place and hope it stays together :)

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

The King of Swag posted:

Normally I would say "poo poo happens", but whoever was pulling him out didn't know what the gently caress they were doing and should have never agreed/volunteered to do it.

Everyone was an idiot in that scenario. That's more of an user issue than a mechanical failure.

It's also the reason if I pull someone out of some poo poo, *THEY* hook it up and take full responsibility for the results. Especially if it's mud or water, let them get wet, I'll sit in the cab (Unless it's a really good friend)

I do however have enough common sense to not recover people from downhill or pull perpendicular to the vehicle :haw:

Here's another user failure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcHrkhHXoHo

This was last year in Azusa Canyon I think.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

The King of Swag posted:

I know, the guy towing just floors it without taking any slack off or anything.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

BigKOfJustice posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcHrkhHXoHo

Nothing about this makes ANY sense. Somebody with an obviously modified YJ let them try to tow him by the BODY? gently caress. Much less perpendicular to the jeep. Got exactly what he deserved.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

BigKOfJustice posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcHrkhHXoHo

Hmm, yes, let's not dig around the Jeep so it isn't so bogged in, let's just get our big pickup to rip the body off it. Ah well, I guess if the dude wanted to do some work on the chassis, he now has a chance...

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

Kotaru posted:

There is a video of a f150 tow truck trying to pull some jeep out of the mud and it ends up bending in half from the strain. I can't seem to find that one.

You're looking for the truck trying to unstick a Disco. The guy that owns the Disco posts on a popular Rover site. That poor Ford went home with its tail tucked. Literally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqCy7ZxVdgI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqCy7ZxVdgI

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

It would have been okay if he hadn't been pulling high and being pulled low. The truck in front kept the nose down and all the force just found the middle of the frame.

Disciple of Pain
Dec 4, 2005

Hypnolobster posted:

It would have been okay if he hadn't been pulling high and being pulled low. The truck in front kept the nose down and all the force just found the middle of the frame.

Yeah, he shouldn't have done a couple of things:

1. Pulled down the front of the truck
2. Used the boom
3. Bought a (most likely) 1/2 or (at best) 3/4 ton truck to make a tow truck

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

The Third Man posted:

:barf:

Mostly I look at everything in AI related to engineering and kind of get what's going on, but don't understand much. This is the first picture I've seen mechanical related and understood completely. (just learned about oil in my automotive class)

Team140
Dec 13, 2005

Kill-9 posted:

You're looking for the truck trying to unstick a Disco. The guy that owns the Disco posts on a popular Rover site. That poor Ford went home with its tail tucked. Literally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqCy7ZxVdgI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqCy7ZxVdgI

I've done that to a 3/4 ton GMC repo truck while trying to pull up Azalea bushes. Quite easy to do if you're not paying attention.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Jack the Smack posted:

Mostly I look at everything in AI related to engineering and kind of get what's going on, but don't understand much. This is the first picture I've seen mechanical related and understood completely. (just learned about oil in my automotive class)

That's my situation. I only know "I like pretty cars!" but for some reason AI is fascinating. But sometimes something like that shows up and even I get a nauseous tinge, and that's how I know it's really bad.

Jork Juggler
May 22, 2007
Here is another tow job gone horribly wrong. Might make one thing twice about riding in a Geo Storm if you didn't already.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrjWEv8pGWY

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

Jork Juggler posted:

Here is another tow job gone horribly wrong. Might make one thing twice about riding in a Geo Storm if you didn't already.

Seen it 100 times, but it's still funny.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Jork Juggler posted:

Storms are loving awesome. :colbert: Some idiot hooking the tow strap to the wrong place doesn't change that.

Tom Collins
Aug 25, 2000

Doctor Zero posted:

Storms are loving awesome. :colbert: Some idiot hooking the tow strap to the wrong place doesn't change that.

Every time I watch that, I end up shouting "JUST DIG IT OUT YOU loving MORON!!"

It's not even like there's that much snow!

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

Tom Collins posted:

Every time I watch that, I end up shouting "JUST DIG IT OUT YOU loving MORON!!"

It's not even like there's that much snow!

heheh heheh. are you taping this? Heheh heheh. OMAH GAWD DID YOU SEE THAT HAHAHA I'M GONNA PUT THIS ON YOUTUBE HAHAAHA

The power of rational thought was not bestowed on these gentlemen.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...

Jack the Smack posted:

I frequent the bimmerforum and the guy who worked on this did it for a friend. All he says is "The person had a reason for this, and thats all I'll say"... That's an E46 3 series engine, which due to some reason with the way it's valvetrain is built is prone to sludging problems.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Fermunky posted:

I frequent the bimmerforum and the guy who worked on this did it for a friend. All he says is "The person had a reason for this, and thats all I'll say"... That's an E46 3 series engine, which due to some reason with the way it's valvetrain is built is prone to sludging problems.

It was more likely due to the 60k mile oil change interval than any design problem.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Joe Mama posted:

Four aluminum threads, that's it. There is plenty of room to have more threads on the head and the plug but nooooo.

I've had to do a couple cyl head jobs because of these. And no, you can't leave the plugs in for 100,000 miles just because the morons at Ford say you can.

I got 100k miles out of the spark plugs in my '03 Mustang GT and so have millions of other people. The spark plug problem isn't an issue for all mod motors, just the occasional 4.6 DOHC engine (and rarely the SOHC) and some 5.4 SOHC truck engines.

Skyssx posted:

No, it's every Mod Motor in one way or another.

Just because a few dozen people on some truck forum had it happen to them doesn't make it a common occurrence on an engine platform with installed numbers in the multiple millions. Yes, it's a known issue with some Mod engine platforms, but it's far from endemic to the family.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...

chem42 posted:

It was more likely due to the 60k mile oil change interval than any design problem.

But it was only a 40k interval :downs:

Edit: Never mind, re-read, it was 60k, still a bunch of :downs: going on though.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

frozenphil posted:

Just because a few dozen people on some truck forum had it happen to them doesn't make it a common occurrence on an engine platform with installed numbers in the multiple millions. Yes, it's a known issue with some Mod engine platforms, but it's far from endemic to the family.

I know it doesn't happen to everyone, but Ford has TSBs out for every mod motor ever for one or the other spark plug issue. Just yesterday I was at the local parts counter getting Zetec bits and some guy came in looking to buy the removal tool because his plug threads had stayed behind in the engine head of his work truck.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Skyssx posted:

I know it doesn't happen to everyone, but Ford has TSBs out for every mod motor ever for one or the other spark plug issue. Just yesterday I was at the local parts counter getting Zetec bits and some guy came in looking to buy the removal tool because his plug threads had stayed behind in the engine head of his work truck.

Right, some people are shade tree hacks that have no concept of what happens when you screw a steel spark plug into an aluminum head without using anti-seize. That shouldn't be used as a mark against the Mod family in my opinion.

ChauchetRedemption
Sep 11, 2001

Were not accustomed to occupying defensive positions. Its destructive to morale.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

frozenphil posted:

Right, some people are shade tree hacks that have no concept of what happens when you screw a steel spark plug into an aluminum head without using anti-seize. That shouldn't be used as a mark against the Mod family in my opinion.

It still amazes me how many people think that putting all their might slowly into a tool is a good way to remove anything threaded. Smack it with a hammer on the end of the ratchet handle to break it loose, THEN start moving it.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

frozenphil posted:

On the other hand there are millions of cars/trucks with aluminum heads that dont have a known problem with stripping the threads. Dont get me wrong, I love Fords but it is a mod motor problem.

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

I was sold the wrong spark plugs for my motor plus the spark plugs that was there from the PO were wrong as well (the same ones). Went 2 months on them not knowing any better until I went up a steep hill....

The black on the thread was the part in the cylinder. The cylinder all had good compression afterward, thank gently caress.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Fermunky posted:

I'm guessing something to do with trying to kill the engine while the car was still under warranty (and then lying and saying he did oil changes at the appropriate intervals).

thArf
Oct 9, 2009
Does this count?

http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/get-attachment.asp?action=view&attachmentid=62677

http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=130929&mid=924765

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

THIS DOESN'T TASTE LIKE CORN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Hey, it's Frank!