Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Paragon8 posted:

I have some spare google wave invites if any one would like them ... I feel more like giving to a dorkroom goon than one of the beggers in GBS.

I've got some invites to give away as well, good idea Paragon8. just list your email addy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Paragon8 posted:

I have some spare google wave invites if any one would like them ... I feel more like giving to a dorkroom goon than one of the beggers in GBS.
I just missed one from a friend because I'm hardly online anymore, so if you'd be so kind :shobon: gecafe@gmail.com

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

pwn posted:

I just missed one from a friend because I'm hardly online anymore, so if you'd be so kind :shobon:

Sent!

There is a terrible photography wave, and all in all I don't think wave is that good but it's fun to mess around in.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Paragon8 posted:

I've got some invites to give away as well, good idea Paragon8. just list your email addy.
Ditto, I have some for anyone who wants too.

noss
Jun 10, 2003
I was a teenage abortion

Paragon8 posted:

Sent!

There is a terrible photography wave, and all in all I don't think wave is that good but it's fun to mess around in.

Wave will become better with more people using it, but we need to also have contacts to wave WITH. I have wave, sadly I used up all my invites before this thread, but create a group called photogoons and add me to it, and we can make a DECENT wave.

zonesix at googlewave.com

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
haryo.sukmawanto AT googlewave.com

Just got it 10 minutes ago

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Dorkroom discussion wave is live.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
How do you find it?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Stregone posted:

How do you find it?

search this term "with:public dorkroom" and you should find it.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006

Paragon8 posted:

search this term "with:public dorkroom" and you should find it.

oops, I accidently did in:public. Found it.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_H8TOKcfjg

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Nondo posted:

Allow me to apologize in advance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_H8TOKcfjg

Someone beated you

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
Wow, I can't believe I missed that.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I laughed when she wanted him to use a UV filter.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
see guys, you don't need video to make kick rear end films, you can do it with 18.5TB worth of stills. http://www.pdnpulse.com/2009/11/fantastic-mr-fox-movie-shot-with-nikon-d3s.html

Fantastic Mr. Fox was a really good movie and was shot using a variety of DSLRs. The coolest bit though is their crazy custom software to live stream the shots all on a network for Wes Anderson, the director, to view from anywhere.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!
Looking for the link to a blog someone posted awhile back; it was a Japanese Photographer who would go around Sartorialist style and take pictures of other street photographer's cameras. It was pretty fun to see the variety of stuff people in a camera-centric culture were shooting with.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

http://tokyocamerastyle.com/

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

see guys, you don't need video to make kick rear end films, you can do it with 18.5TB worth of stills. http://www.pdnpulse.com/2009/11/fantastic-mr-fox-movie-shot-with-nikon-d3s.html

Fantastic Mr. Fox was a really good movie and was shot using a variety of DSLRs. The coolest bit though is their crazy custom software to live stream the shots all on a network for Wes Anderson, the director, to view from anywhere.

Corpse Bride was shot on Canon DSLRs, but since they decided the Canon lenses weren't good enough they had custom adapters so they could use the newer Nikon lenses on them.

That software is nuts, and crazy useful. I think it would change/improve the workflow of stop-motion films immensely.

evil_bunnY posted:

http://tokyocamerastyle.com/

The Pen F is one of the most beautiful cameras ever made, IMO. I wish collectors would leave the Olympus half-frame SLR system alone :colbert:

I just picked up a FED Micron (not my thread) this weekend on eBay for :10bux: , that'll have to do for my half-frame fix.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 30, 2009

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
Alright! A Nikonos V! Those are pretty excellent cameras for above water shooting if you mount the 35mm amphibious lens. You don't have to freak out if it rains, the camera gets stuff splashed on it, or you drop it in water.

The only issue is that focusing is a little difficult.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

squidflakes posted:

Alright! A Nikonos V! Those are pretty excellent cameras for above water shooting if you mount the 35mm amphibious lens. You don't have to freak out if it rains, the camera gets stuff splashed on it, or you drop it in water.

Haha. I should buy one for punk shows.

noss
Jun 10, 2003
I was a teenage abortion

Pompous Rhombus posted:

The Pen F is one of the most beautiful cameras ever made, IMO. I wish collectors would leave the Olympus half-frame SLR system alone :colbert:

I just picked up a FED Micron (not my thread) this weekend on eBay for :10bux: , that'll have to do for my half-frame fix.

Hey Rhombus, too bad you're done shopping for the time being. I could have given you the most insane deal on a Pen F and a 38/1.8 MINTY fresh, with original stylish lenscap. I also have an XA and 35RC.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
XA's are the poo poo, best pocket camera ever.

noss
Jun 10, 2003
I was a teenage abortion

brad industry posted:

Want to buy mine? I need money. Is this allowed?

EDIT: Brad, please email me. Zonesix, gmail, etc. I have a question.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

noss posted:

Hey Rhombus, too bad you're done shopping for the time being. I could have given you the most insane deal on a Pen F and a 38/1.8 MINTY fresh, with original stylish lenscap. I also have an XA and 35RC.

:monocle:

What are you asking for the F/lens? I'm not so sure on funds right this moment, I'm in the middle of changing up my film gear lineup and need to wait for the dust to settle. Should know in another week or two, Christmas time at the latest.

brad industry posted:

I've got an XA gathering dust on my shelf, I picked it up for cheap but it needs repair. It's actually my third one, I've owned two before but both broke (one had the electromagnet that controls the shutter go out, the other had some plastic crud fall in the advance mechanism and jam it). I sent them both off for servicing last year but the tech only got the second one working, also had him modify the light meter to read a stop fast, opening up ISO 1600 shooting. Big fan of the camera, especially after the conversion, but eventually sold it to fund my Bessa.

Decent shallow DoF, with accurate rangefinder focusing:

Self-timer for long, vibration-free exposures:

I've heard some people complain about vignetting but it's generally well-controlled, here's a Kodachrome 25 scan:

35mm is a nice focal length, decent wide but not crazy:

Small and unobtrusive, good for street shots:

tl;dr - Olympus XA: a cool little camera.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 1, 2009

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

noss posted:

Want. PM.

noss
Jun 10, 2003
I was a teenage abortion

Pompous Rhombus posted:

:monocle:

What are you asking for the F/lens? I'm not so sure on funds right this moment, I'm in the middle of changing up my film gear lineup and need to wait for the dust to settle. Should know in another week or two, Christmas time at the latest.

I've got an XA gathering dust on my shelf, I picked it up for cheap but it needs repair. It's actually my third one, I've owned two before but both broke (one had the electromagnet that controls the shutter go out, the other had some plastic crud fall in the advance mechanism and jam it). I sent them both off for servicing last year but the tech only got the second one working, also had him modify the light meter to read a stop fast, opening up ISO 1600 shooting. Big fan of the camera, especially after the conversion, but eventually sold it to fund my Bessa.

Decent shallow DoF, with accurate rangefinder focusing:

Self-timer for long, vibration-free exposures:

I've heard some people complain about vignetting but it's generally well-controlled, here's a Kodachrome 25 scan:

35mm is a nice focal length, decent wide but not crazy:

Small and unobtrusive, good for street shots:

tl;dr - Olympus XA: a cool little camera.

If you EVER need an Olympus camera modified or repaired to a level above what you're expecting, please find a way to contact me. zonesix, gmail et cetera. I know someone who will blow your mind for less money than you think.

PS: If those shots came from an XA, I'll send you a propak of 35mm film and pay for processing, as long as you don't mind me jerking it to your photos. Awesome stuff.

PPS: I don't exactly own the camera/lens yet, but it's on reserve for me at the company I start employment with tomorrow morning. I have been offered the low low price of $80 for the camera and lens. I no longer have an adapter to put the lens on the E-P1, nor the E-P1. I'll sell the whole shebang to you at my cost, or you can wait a couple days and I'll tell my boss to sell it to you at the price he offered me. $80 for the camera and lens by today's market prices, according to the internet seems to be a good deal, and I have personally verified that it's in loving AWESOME condition. No dust inside it, lens or body.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

noss posted:

If you EVER need an Olympus camera modified or repaired to a level above what you're expecting, please find a way to contact me. zonesix, gmail et cetera. I know someone who will blow your mind for less money than you think.

PS: If those shots came from an XA, I'll send you a propak of 35mm film and pay for processing, as long as you don't mind me jerking it to your photos. Awesome stuff.

PPS: I don't exactly own the camera/lens yet, but it's on reserve for me at the company I start employment with tomorrow morning. I have been offered the low low price of $80 for the camera and lens. I no longer have an adapter to put the lens on the E-P1, nor the E-P1. I'll sell the whole shebang to you at my cost, or you can wait a couple days and I'll tell my boss to sell it to you at the price he offered me. $80 for the camera and lens by today's market prices, according to the internet seems to be a good deal, and I have personally verified that it's in loving AWESOME condition. No dust inside it, lens or body.

Dude, sold. I may take you up on that repair guy too, previous one was $60 which seemed reasonable enough, but I was a little bummed he couldn't save both cameras. No longer have the unfixable one, but would be nice knowing #3 is in good hands. Issues aren't major, misaligned RF and aperture lever gets practically frozen between f/4 and f/8. Meter and shutter are working fine though.

Yep, those are all out of those two XA's I mentioned. I don't have a working Oly camera at the moment though :-\

noss
Jun 10, 2003
I was a teenage abortion

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I don't have a working Oly camera at the moment though :-\

Yeah, I do, but they're all film. The ones I mentioned. I no longer own a digital camera, and I will be fixing that starting tomorrow.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

noss posted:

insane deal on a Pen F and a 38/1.8 MINTY fresh

Also want!

noss
Jun 10, 2003
I was a teenage abortion

pseudonordic posted:

Also want!

If Rhombus says he doesn't want it, it's yours.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Noss, I'm very interested in the XA get at me aiiaznsk8er@gmail.com

and I wanted to give you a big welcome to the Dorkroom! Sucks you couldn't post before to legal ramifications but glad to have your input now.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

noss posted:

I'll definitely take it as long as it doesn't have any major issues. You don't need to run a roll of film through it, but do you mind just eyeballing the shutter speeds and other obvious stuff, and sending me a few pics when you get it?

If for whatever reason I'm not using it as much as I thought (I want a nice little half-frame as my "take anywhere, shoot lots" camera), I'll re-sell it at cost to another goon. I think evil_bunnY had secondsies though.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
The XA's are full 35mm, not half-frame. They are still loving tiny though.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I think evil_bunnY had secondsies though.

He does and I'll wait in line. :shobon:

Sidenote: I'm looking for an affordable working Pen F or FT because I have a Canon Demi S that has stopped working. Would anyone happen to know of someone who could perhaps repair it? :3:

noss
Jun 10, 2003
I was a teenage abortion

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I'll definitely take it as long as it doesn't have any major issues. You don't need to run a roll of film through it, but do you mind just eyeballing the shutter speeds and other obvious stuff, and sending me a few pics when you get it?

If for whatever reason I'm not using it as much as I thought (I want a nice little half-frame as my "take anywhere, shoot lots" camera), I'll re-sell it at cost to another goon. I think evil_bunnY had secondsies though.

Then email me. I can get the ball rolling tomorrow. zonesix, gmail, etc. I'm telling you, I could email photos to you of the exact camera, or I could find good shots of one online. Same thing. I did test the shutter, and it SOUNDED dead on to me. I know it's minty fresh. They wouldn't have taken it in otherwise. I trust these guys implicitly. Email me.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
Those half frame cameras sound really cool. Is there a website out there with more info about them?

noss
Jun 10, 2003
I was a teenage abortion

Stregone posted:

Those half frame cameras sound really cool. Is there a website out there with more info about them?

EDIT: http://www.subclub.org/shop/halframe.htm
As an aside, I learned at Olympus that the Pen series came about because in post-war Japan, they were trying to find a way to make photography cheaper, you know, for lack of money, and they came up with the half-frame PEN.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Stregone posted:

As noss said, film was apparently pretty pricey back in the 60's, and doubling the number of shots per roll (and coming up with much smaller bodies/lenses) was a clever move. A bit analogous to the DSLR/cropping thing today when you think about it, although the limited high ISO performance/size of enlargements limitations might not be such a close fit.

A lot of people like them for the size/uniqueness/diptychs, but I'm actually a bit motivated by cost too. Not that film's breaking the bank when I mostly shoot Arista, but it'd be nice to regain some of the "shoot whatever" attitude from digital.

Olympus has done some pretty cool things, I've always liked them as the scrappy underdog Japanese camera manufacturer, although right now all I own of theirs is a 50mm f/1.8 and that busted XA. Their OM SLR's are really nice though, I think probably the most compact of any of the major manufacturers.

I also used to have their 21mm f/2.0 lens, which was a real gem (although a bit pricey, eventually sold it because it was essentially a $600+ novelty item). I didn't have an adapter for it at first and really wanted to try it out, so I took it along and handheld it in front of my camera to get some cool tilt-shift type shots. Despite the limited image circle it works really well: wide and fast so you can take a lot in and blur a lot out. I have a Bronica 50mm f/2.8 on a more proper home-made tilt/shift adapter now that costs a fraction of what the Zuiko did, but it's just not the same :sigh:

noss: E-mail sent. Where are you starting work at, btw?

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 1, 2009

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

As noss said, film was apparently pretty pricey back in the 60's, and doubling the number of shots per roll (and coming up with much smaller bodies/lenses) was a clever move. A bit analogous to the DSLR/cropping thing today when you think about it, although the limited high ISO performance/size of enlargements limitations might not be such a close fit.

I recall that when the Konica half-frame came out, it got pretty slammed for the quality of images due to the half-frame format.

That said, it was reviewed by the same type of people who pixel peep nowaday, so who knows...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

noss posted:

I thought I had second dibs :cry:

pseudonordic posted:

Sidenote: I'm looking for an affordable working Pen F or FT because I have a Canon Demi S that has stopped working. Would anyone happen to know of someone who could perhaps repair it? :3:
If you can find an Olympus 35 RD they're pretty nice too.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Dec 1, 2009