Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

jmu posted:

Nah, I'll try reindexing though. If MS is going to stick with a file system that requites a separate indexing process you'd think they could get it right after several years.

Errr, which file system do you know of which doesn't require a separate indexing process? HFS+ does, and I see nothing about indexing being built into Ext4 or ReisferFS, where are we seeing file systems that need it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Casao posted:

Errr, which file system do you know of which doesn't require a separate indexing process? HFS+ does, and I see nothing about indexing being built into Ext4 or ReisferFS, where are we seeing file systems that need it?

He's bitching about WinFS's nonexistence, even though it seems like overkill to have every file on the OS pre-indexed, including cache and all the poo poo inside C:\Windows

YouTuber posted:

:( Now I need to install a service. The one that I deleted does not reinstall with Steam downloads. I've been told "installutil.exe" in command prompt is the method to do it but it doesn't do anything but pop up

'installutil.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Was this removed in Windows 7?

Stupid question, but did you make sure to run that from within the folder that installutil.exe resides? And are you doing it from an admin elevated command prompt?

jmu
Feb 12, 2004

weoo.org

Casao posted:

Nah actually I'm stupid and thought other file systems somehow did away with indexing but I'm wrong.

In anycase I was hoping issues with the indexer were fixed with 7 because I had to reindex in Vista a dozen times or so because of weird search problems.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

jmu posted:

Nah actually I'm stupid and thought other file systems somehow did away with indexing but I'm wrong.

In anycase I was hoping issues with the indexer were fixed with 7 because I had to reindex in Vista a dozen times or so because of weird search problems.

What personal computing product doesn't have oddball problems on some people's computer in some circumstances?

jmu
Feb 12, 2004

weoo.org

Thermopyle posted:

What personal computing product doesn't have oddball problems on some people's computer in some circumstances?

In my experience "some people" = one third of the Vista/7 users we support and the oddball problem is that it doesn't work, at all.

mathaeis
Dec 16, 2007
severely pro

Grawl posted:

Useful things.

This is what ended up working, but before the system restore it just kept saying "This folder can't be shared" and I was not able to see anything on the network that was shared on other computers. Ever the list of available computers on the network (where you can see other network devices, like the router for instance) wasn't even showing the computer I was on, let alone the ones it was connected to.

e: and now it's all gone again, as soon as I restarted. I can't even see the drives from the whole of the 7 computer in XP mode, which never faltered before now. I guess this is par for the course for Windows, though. A boy can dream.

One more question - is it possible to edit autoexec.bat still? For my job, I need to add a system path in that file, but to the best of my searching, I cannot find it anywhere. My boss suggested to try Start - Run - sysedit, but that doesn't turn up anything for me either. Finally, I tried to simply create a .bat file with the appropriate path, but once restarting, and checking if the path existed by typing "SET" into a cmd prompt, nothing changed. Any ideas?

mathaeis fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 30, 2009

the night dad
Oct 23, 2006

by XyloJW
Alright so I read the Op and such, but there's still one thing that's a little murky for me: Does the full version of win7 include both options to do an upgrade or do a full reinstall?

Generally, my plan to is upgrade from vista home for now, then hold onto the win7 disc for any future hard drive problems.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

No homo posted:

Alright so I read the Op and such, but there's still one thing that's a little murky for me: Does the full version of win7 include both options to do an upgrade or do a full reinstall?

Generally, my plan to is upgrade from vista home for now, then hold onto the win7 disc for any future hard drive problems.

The full install disc does everything the Upgrade disc will do, and more.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

kapinga posted:

He's bitching about WinFS's nonexistence, even though it seems like overkill to have every file on the OS pre-indexed, including cache and all the poo poo inside C:\Windows
WinFS was still an indexer for regular files inside the store, which just were handily hidden inside C:\System Volume Information.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

fishmech posted:

Sounds like you have a driver with a memory or resource leak. Look for either driver updates or Vista drivers.

Updated the 64bit ATI driver from 9-10 to 9-11 and now the problem doesn't occur. Odd that no one else was having issues, considering how many people are running ati cards these days.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

I'm not sure if I should post this here, but I've never had this problem before and thought it might be Windows 7 related.

I just bought a new hard drive and was planning on backing some things up and going from RC 64 to Professional 64. I put the new hard drive in the second slot of my laptop and Win 7 is failing to find drivers for it to work. I am able to see the drive fine in my bios. I tried updating the drivers from device manager which wasn't able to find any drivers either.

Am I just retarded or does this have something to do with Win 7? I've never had a hard drive that wasn't instantly recognized by windows. The old and new drives are Sata 3Gb/s drives. I checked both gateway and western digitals website and neither have drivers.

the night dad
Oct 23, 2006

by XyloJW

fishmech posted:

The full install disc does everything the Upgrade disc will do, and more.
Perfect then, thanks!

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

We live thinking we will never die.
We die thinking we had never lived.
Cut it out.
Is there a way to lock the volume settings? I have my TF2 volume set to about 15% in the ingame options because I always have music on, but when I launch the game, Windows sets my Winamp volume to the same (although the actual volume bar in Winamp doesn't move, just in the Windows mixer). I don't know why it correlates the two and doesn't turn down my other volumes, but it's really annoying to have to keep opening up the mixer every time I launch the game.

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

mathaeis posted:

One more question - is it possible to edit autoexec.bat still? For my job, I need to add a system path in that file, but to the best of my searching, I cannot find it anywhere. My boss suggested to try Start - Run - sysedit, but that doesn't turn up anything for me either. Finally, I tried to simply create a .bat file with the appropriate path, but once restarting, and checking if the path existed by typing "SET" into a cmd prompt, nothing changed. Any ideas?

Go to the Control Panel -> System -> Advanced System Settings. From there click on the Advanced tab and then the Environmental Variables button. You can add to your path there.

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

ZeroAX posted:

I'm not sure if I should post this here, but I've never had this problem before and thought it might be Windows 7 related.

I just bought a new hard drive and was planning on backing some things up and going from RC 64 to Professional 64. I put the new hard drive in the second slot of my laptop and Win 7 is failing to find drivers for it to work. I am able to see the drive fine in my bios. I tried updating the drivers from device manager which wasn't able to find any drivers either.

Am I just retarded or does this have something to do with Win 7? I've never had a hard drive that wasn't instantly recognized by windows. The old and new drives are Sata 3Gb/s drives. I checked both gateway and western digitals website and neither have drivers.

If you're getting an actual error about drivers then it sounds like the drive is just DOA unfortunately. Easiest way I know of to check is go into Disk Management and see what you can do there. It may just need a quick format/setup a new partition on it. Chances are you've just got a disk that isn't formatted or partitioned so the computer doesn't have anything to show you about it. It'll take about 30 seconds or so, go into the Disk Management and quick format it and then create a new partition on it (Default size on the partition wizard will be full capacity of the drive). (Control Panel -> Admin Tools -> Disk Management)

cadex
Jun 6, 2003

Operationally, God is beginning to resemble not a ruler but the last fading smile of a cosmic Cheshire Cat.
This article just popped up on the front page of the BBC News website. Is it really such a common problem?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8388253.stm

quote:

Microsoft investigates Windows 7 'screen of death'

Microsoft has confirmed that it is investigating a problem described as the "black screen of death", which affects its latest operating system.

The error means that users of Windows 7 see a totally black screen after logging on to the system.

The firm said it was looking into reports that suggest its latest security update was the cause the problem.

Reports suggest the flaw also affects Vista, XP and other systems.

Software firm Prevx, which has issued a fix for the problem, says "millions" of people may be affected.

"Users have resorted to reloading Windows as a last ditch effort to fix the problem," the firm's David Kennerley wrote in a blog post.

"We hope we can help a good many of you avoid the need to reload."

Unknown problem

The firm said its fix did not work in all cases.

"There can be many causes," said Mr Kennerley.

"But if your black screen woes began in the last two weeks after a Windows update or after running any security program (including Prevx) to remove malware during this time then this fix will have a high probability of working."

Mr Kennerly said the firm had identified "at least 10 different scenarios which will trigger the same black screen conditions".

"These appear to have been around for years now," he said.

The firm reports that the problem affects editions of Windows 7, Vista, XP, NT, and Windows 2000.

Microsoft said that people who are affected by the problem should contact its customer service line.

A spokesperson said that the reports did "not match any known issues" documented by the firm.

It has not issued a fix for the problem, which causes the desktop, task bar, system tray and side bar to disappear, according to reports.

The "black screen of death" moniker is a play on the "blue screen of death", which appears when Microsoft operating systems crash.

I was surprised to see it on the front page of the website which is usually where you find the most important, serious global stories, not news about Windows crashing.

cadex fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 1, 2009

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I've seen two Vista installs trashed from the "black screen".

After logging in, nothing happens. No Desktop loaded, Ctrl-Alt-Del does nothing, etc. Just a mouse cursor on a black screen.

Never experienced it in Windows 7 or XP, though.

hobb
Sep 20, 2001
I get the black screen o death every fresh install. I just figured it was something to do with my graphics card drivers that come WITH windows being not good.

I just fire up safemode, which seems to be fine, and then install downloaded drivers and its all good after that. I think some of the early beta versions of win 7 drivers used to do it too. Nvidia geforce 7950 gx2 is the card.

edit: I'm still using the RC, AND I recall reporting this more than once, AND its hilarious that its still in the finished version.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Sprat Sandwich posted:

http://ninite.com/

Okay, what's the catch with this? It just seems too useful. Does it install some other stuff in addition to what you pick?

edit: VVV Wow, cool. This will make my life considerably easier when I build my new computer in a few weeks!

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 1, 2009

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

GreatGreen posted:

Okay, what's the catch with this? It just seems too useful. Does it install some other stuff in addition to what you pick?

If this is the same as Volery, I used to talk to the guys who made it over ICQ in a dev group I was a part of, and they built this originally for themselves and their friends. Everything should be clean.

EDIT: Actually, because it was made for themselves, it works out even better as they preconfigure it to shut off the included poo poo by default.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

StickFigs posted:

Is there any way to make it so if I open a browser window, a text file, then start a new browser window then the two browser windows on the taskbar will be separated by the text file? I don't like how windows of similar apps get grouped next to each other I like them to appear left to right in the order they were opened.

Googling this results in mostly hits about the grouping with the new icon thing which I already turned off, or have a solution that required me to run a program in the background at all times (I don't like that idea).

EDIT: Also, is there a way to make notification bar icons act like they did in Vista? Like it used to be so they would all show up on the main bar by default but now it's like the inverse.

Still no luck with either of these.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

StickFigs posted:

Still no luck with either of these.

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Notification Area Icons

Checkbox for "Always show all icons and notifications on the taskbar"

Does that do what you want for the notification area? I think with the new taskbar you are out of luck, sorry.

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.
hey, guys. I got a computer I'm looking to build to put together a bad rear end art studio and such, and I'm planning on putting Windows 7 64bit and I see my epson printer works for it. however, my 11x17 Express A3 USB scanner does NOT work with either vista or 7. what the gently caress am I supposed to do about this? does virtualization take care of this kind of problem? would my computer be able to support virtualization? the set up I'm looking to make is as follows.

COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel , SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail

AMD Athlon II X3 435 2.9GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Processor Model ADX435WFGIBOX - Retail

SABRENT CRW-UINB 68-in-1 USB 2.0 Internal Card Reader w/ USB 2.0 Port supports SDHC/VISTA - Retail

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model SH-S222A - OEM

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

(yea yea I know it's a cheap rear end machine but I don't play games on puters)

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Lord of Sword posted:

Is there a way to lock the volume settings? I have my TF2 volume set to about 15% in the ingame options because I always have music on, but when I launch the game, Windows sets my Winamp volume to the same (although the actual volume bar in Winamp doesn't move, just in the Windows mixer). I don't know why it correlates the two and doesn't turn down my other volumes, but it's really annoying to have to keep opening up the mixer every time I launch the game.
Right click on the system tray speaker icon, go to sound settings, click the tab on the right, disable the volume reducations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SamuraiPaul posted:

hey, guys. I got a computer I'm looking to build to put together a bad rear end art studio and such, and I'm planning on putting Windows 7 64bit and I see my epson printer works for it. however, my 11x17 Express A3 USB scanner does NOT work with either vista or 7. what the gently caress am I supposed to do about this? does virtualization take care of this kind of problem? would my computer be able to support virtualization? the set up I'm looking to make is as follows.

COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel , SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail

AMD Athlon II X3 435 2.9GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Processor Model ADX435WFGIBOX - Retail

SABRENT CRW-UINB 68-in-1 USB 2.0 Internal Card Reader w/ USB 2.0 Port supports SDHC/VISTA - Retail

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model SH-S222A - OEM

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

(yea yea I know it's a cheap rear end machine but I don't play games on puters)

Yeah, that processor should support Virtual XP Mode, and you can connect your USB scanner to the virtual XP enviroment with that.

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.

fishmech posted:

Yeah, that processor should support Virtual XP Mode, and you can connect your USB scanner to the virtual XP enviroment with that.

SWEET!! I just got my newegg prefered account and am awaiting my new system. I'll have so much fun building it this weekend. (hopefully the parts will be here before the weekend.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

cadex posted:

This article just popped up on the front page of the BBC News website. Is it really such a common problem?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8388253.stm

I was surprised to see it on the front page of the website which is usually where you find the most important, serious global stories, not news about Windows crashing.
I think I got caught out by that last night, but still unsure whether it is OS or hardware fault. I'd be in Windows, then everything would turn black, and the backlight on my G15 keyboard would switch off. Happened twice.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Windows 7 Professional (x64) - DVD (Chinese-Simplified)

My university gave use this (as well as normal english) versions of Windows7.

If I can't speak Chinese, can I use this? Can I use the key on a English version of Windows7?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Ziploc posted:

Can I use the key on a English version of Windows7?

If it has a different key from the English version you were given, probably.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Cross posting from the Mac thread, I did read the OP but I'm still confused a little, anyway:

I installed XP via bootcamp, was happy that now I could play games. Some months pass and I go on an exchange program, leaving my XP install CD at home. A couple of days ago a virus came along and raped the system, my Mac kept shutting down when I tried booting into safe mode, it wouldn't let me launch any anti-viruses that I had and all that jazz, basically it locked down my XP installation (the virus was SWP 2009 if anyone cares).

So I said gently caress it, and deleted the XP partition. Then I hear about the student discount for Windows 7, I order it (download and CD). On Microsoft's website it says that I will receive an upgrade, so does that mean Windows 7 will refuse to install itself on an empty partition? I tried googling this issue, but I got contradicting results.

Please help :ohdear:

So did I just waste some money or what?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

m2pt5 posted:

If it has a different key from the English version you were given, probably.

And 32bit and 64bit keys are interchangeable?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Ziploc posted:

And 32bit and 64bit keys are interchangeable?

Yep... I don't even know which key is which anymore of mine, since I just dumped them into a text file.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I want to get Home Premium Full retail and Amazon is selling it for $180 with free shipping. I tried finding a better deal but couldn't or did I not look hard enough? Also, how many times can you transfer a retail copy of Windows 7 from one computer to another?

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

Tivac posted:

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Notification Area Icons

Checkbox for "Always show all icons and notifications on the taskbar"

Does that do what you want for the notification area? I think with the new taskbar you are out of luck, sorry.

That's not really what I wanted, I more want it so instead of being hidden by default they are visible by default and instead I would individually select the ones I want hidden, right now it's the other way around.

As for the taskbar, I still think there might be a way out there to stop the auto-similar program grouping because there's this app that let me do it but it has to be open at all times which sucks. I'm thinking maybe it's a registry edit or something?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

StickFigs posted:

That's not really what I wanted, I more want it so instead of being hidden by default they are visible by default and instead I would individually select the ones I want hidden, right now it's the other way around.

As for the taskbar, I still think there might be a way out there to stop the auto-similar program grouping because there's this app that let me do it but it has to be open at all times which sucks. I'm thinking maybe it's a registry edit or something?
Place mouse over offending hidden (click to show first) icon, click and hold mouse button. Drag icon to [not hidden] section of the taskbar. Release mouse button. Rejoice.

Kippling
Jun 24, 2005

And the Grinch, with his Grinch-feet ice cold in the snow, stood puzzling and puzzling, how could it be so?

awesome-express posted:

On Microsoft's website it says that I will receive an upgrade, so does that mean Windows 7 will refuse to install itself on an empty partition?

I got Win7 Professional x64 upgrade through this academic thing (in the UK though, so that may or may not make a difference). I formatted my HDD before installing, like you, and I didn't have any problems but I had to use a 'workaround'. Do this:

-Edit- Not sure if I'm allowed to post this, going to check first -Edit-

I would say though that this is only legal if you've already got a license for an older version of Windows, what with it being an upgrade and all. But seeing as you *have* then there's no problem with this as far as I'm aware (I don't want to get into trouble!). There are several guides on this, easily found with Google.

Kippling fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Dec 2, 2009

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee

ZeroAX posted:

I had a similar problem with an older Seagate drive that I was using for backup. I didn't have it connected during the format/install from Vista64 to 7 Pro 64 and it threw an error when I connected it afterward until I booted 7 without it connected a few times, then windows recognized it automatically.

1karus
Jan 29, 2006

The Fun Machine
Took a Shit and Died
I can no longer access msdnaa through ACM. Even though there is no mention of it in the OP, I assume they got smart and are now requiring legit creditals instead of just giving us free access, or do I miss something?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I just recently installed windows 7 (x64) and after much gnashing of teeth I think I have it running smoothly long story short, terrible NIC card I didn't even use that gave me the same problems when I got my (then) new XP comp, was causing my system to freeze and I forgot how I fixed it, thanks to some IRQ conflicts and MoBo retardation and I'm curious what a good recommendation for an uninstaller program that works would be. I started using Revo a month or two ago and instantly fell in love, but I hear it doesn't work with Win7 x64.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

1karus posted:

I can no longer access msdnaa through ACM. Even though there is no mention of it in the OP, I assume they got smart and are now requiring legit creditals instead of just giving us free access, or do I miss something?

I just logged in and it is still letting me grab stuff.

You're using http://msdn01.e-academy.com/ACM to log in, right?