Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Angryboot posted:

That one. Because I still need to finish mine.

Stupid pool rings around that chest scroll; guess I shouldn't water down them ink after all. Need to fix that slop mark next to the seal on its right leg too but over all it didn't turn out too badly. Plus hey, I've only been painting a week short of 2 months. At least I got the most scroll heavy space hulk piece out of the way finally.

EDIT: better pic.

Jesus christ man, these are fantastic. If I could make one suggestion, it'd be to try doing some scorching effects on the heavy flamer. It's easy enough to do- heavy drybrush of shining gold over about the front half or so of the nozzle, then drybrush scorched brown then black as you get closer to the tip. If you feel like it, you can do intermediate steps mixing the brown/black paints before drybrushing.
Obviously I'm biased but I think it looks p cool.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

You've got 6 options there, there's an obvious way to decide.

Yeah that was silly of me not to notice. The die tells me I'm working on my Ironclad, which is probably the least useful thing on that list but also the most fun so woot.

Fyrbrand fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Nov 30, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Fix posted:

Hey Fix, I know you've answered this before but what size magnets did you use for the arms on these guys?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Indolent Bastard posted:

Hey Fix, I know you've answered this before but what size magnets did you use for the arms on these guys?

1/8" x 1/16"

Fix fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 30, 2009

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Fix posted:

1/8" x 1/16"

Cheers.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
PV,

I picked up a used Iwata HP-C off of ebay for 60 bucks with a ton of accessories about a year ago. It is a great entry level brush. As you surmised the real cost is the compressor. I haven't bought one yet as I have a full size compressor but I dont think you can pick up an airbrush compressor for less than 120.

Moral of the story: people are always getting out of airbrushing on ebay and you can get away with highway robbery there.

EDIT: did those paints come in?

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Fix posted:

1/8" x 1/16"

Are they thin enough that you can just glue them to the arm joints, or do you still need to set them into the mini a bit? Also, is it better to use two magnets or just use one magnet on the body and a layer of magnetic paint on the arm?

Edit: Also, are there any magnets tiny enough to connect a gun to an arm (so I can switch out assault weapons depending on the battle) or is that too small?

Fake James fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Nov 30, 2009

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Bobx66 posted:

PV,

I picked up a used Iwata HP-C off of ebay for 60 bucks with a ton of accessories about a year ago. It is a great entry level brush. As you surmised the real cost is the compressor. I haven't bought one yet as I have a full size compressor but I dont think you can pick up an airbrush compressor for less than 120.

Moral of the story: people are always getting out of airbrushing on ebay and you can get away with highway robbery there.

EDIT: did those paints come in?

Yeah, doing some painting tonight :) Thanks for the info, Ill keep an eye out. My gf was asking me what I wanted for xmas and I couldnt think of something in the 50-75 dollar range that decided on. Its either an airbrush or a shitload of sculpting tools/etc :v:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Dr. Lenin posted:

Are they thin enough that you can just glue them to the arm joints, or do you still need to set them into the mini a bit? Also, is it better to use two magnets or just use one magnet on the body and a layer of magnetic paint on the arm?

Edit: Also, are there any magnets tiny enough to connect a gun to an arm (so I can switch out assault weapons depending on the battle) or is that too small?

Generally speaking you're going to want to sink them into the torso/shoulder. I used two magnets per joint, but a bit of metal on one side works just as well and even better sometimes for providing friction like the smooth magnets do not.

There are magnets that are small enough to do what you're talking about, but I've found them to be too weak (1/16" x 1/32"). They'll hold the weapon, but the slightest jostle will knock it off again. Not to mention how hard they are just to get in the right place and get the poles all lined up working that small.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Fyrbrand posted:

scorching effects

Oh absolutely. I purposely put it away and not looked at it over the weekend then took a detailed pic to analyze everything and that was pretty much the most glaring thing aside from the pool rings and the name tags looking terrible. I'll be doing that for sure.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
For swapping special weapons, just glue them to the arms and magnetize that. Way simpler.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Fyrbrand posted:

For swapping special weapons, just glue them to the arms and magnetize that. Way simpler.

This.

It's not too difficult to come up with spare marine gun arms if you're shameless about begging or can score a couple cheap lots on ebay or something. The only real difficulty is if you're using sweet-rear end shoulder pads or metal ones or whatever and are limited by those.

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
I'm sure I could find this with a little google-ing, but I'd like some of your opinions:

I'm about to paint my first set of Space Marines and Orks. Is there a step-by-step tutorial on painting each? I don't mind my first set being a paint-by-numbers kinda thing. I just want to make them look good, and see what the different steps (washing, drybrushing, etc) do.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Iron Squid posted:

I'm sure I could find this with a little google-ing, but I'd like some of your opinions:

I'm about to paint my first set of Space Marines and Orks. Is there a step-by-step tutorial on painting each? I don't mind my first set being a paint-by-numbers kinda thing. I just want to make them look good, and see what the different steps (washing, drybrushing, etc) do.

Try this dude. He primes grey, while most people around here use black, but he does a good job showing every single step. He even does decals in this one, which owns.

The one I linked is Ultramarines but he has a few other tutorials in there as well.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Fyrbrand posted:

Try this dude. He primes grey, while most people around here use black, but he does a good job showing every single step. He even does decals in this one, which owns.

The one I linked is Ultramarines but he has a few other tutorials in there as well.

This guy is really good, I copied my wash recipe from him. He rules.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
If it wouldn't involve months of work I would honestly strip and redo all my Salamanders using his method.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Fix posted:

1/8" x 1/16"

Goddammit! I found your post earlier about which ebay store you use for magnets but now I can't find it and the 1st post on the Warhammer thread is the magnet supplier that rapes you on shipping.

Help a brother out?

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Fyrbrand posted:

That looks like a good tutorial. Do all Citadel paints need to be diluted first?

Edit: I wish he would've explained things as he was doing them. For example, he put down a layer of brown before he put the gold on. Why?

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, you want to dilute your paints pretty much always.

He did the brown first because metallics can be weird about coverage. The brown helps with that, and also provides shading. If you notice, the gold only went on the raised areas. The recesses are still brown.

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Fyrbrand posted:

Yeah, you want to dilute your paints pretty much always.

He did the brown first because metallics can be weird about coverage. The brown helps with that, and also provides shading. If you notice, the gold only went on the raised areas. The recesses are still brown.

Actually, I hadn't noticed that but I see it now. :)

Did he did two layers of highlights? Or did he just highlight two separate areas with different colors? It would've also been nice to see close-ups of the eyes that he painted as well, to see where the colors were going.

What's the stuff the base is mounted on?

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
Anyone have any experience with this stuff?
I love green stuff for the most part, but I find that there isn't enough contrast from light and shadow when I work with green stuff for my taste.

Fake Edit: I've never worked with brown stuff, but I imagine that the darkness of the material will be similar to green stuff, which doesn't fix the problem.

Real Edit: Always fun when the website you link pages to has the same URL for two different pages! :hurr:

Sole.Sushi fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Dec 1, 2009

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
So I bought the Privateer Press "hobby kit" for about 101 bucks with shipping, it comes with the P3 beginner's painting DVD. It should be here later this week - I'm pumped since I want to properly stick together a Destroyer and get priming!

Now, here is a question that I think is a 'to taste' kinda deal: do people paint multi-piece posable minis (Warmachine minis are pretty much the only ones that I can go off of since that's what I got) before or after assembly? I was having a lot of trouble with painting some of the areas with the way I had the Man-o-War posed so I think in his case I'll paint each major part seperately (upper torso, legs, left arm, right arm, hands and weapon) so that I can actually do it properly.

Also, for anybody who uses P3 paints: do you thin them at all when painting Warmachine figures? I would assume you would if you're trying to do layering or something like that, but if you're just, like, doing basecoats and stuff, thinning isn't required, right?

Ah, hell, I'll just wait for the DVD.

On brushes: What brushes to buy? I see that Windsor & Newton are like the gold standard, but are there alternatives? I see these Rosemary & Co Artist Brushes on CMON that are like, "this is basically Windsor & Newton for half off, beat that suckers!"

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

You can paint things seperately, but I would make sure all the joints are pinned and drilled prior to that. Honestly though, unless youre painting some really high level stuff, its almost always easier to just assemble stuff and paint it. If you cant quite reach something, leave it black

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Sole.Sushi posted:

Anyone have any experience with this stuff or this stuff?
I love green stuff for the most part, but I find that there isn't enough contrast from light and shadow when I work with green stuff for my taste.

Fake Edit: I've never worked with brown stuff, but I imagine that the darkness of the material will be similar to green stuff, which doesn't fix the problem.

You, uh, linked the same thing twice. Anyway, I've got the Pro-Create grey stuff, but I haven't used any green stuff to compare it with. Sorry! :v:

aldantefax posted:

Now, here is a question that I think is a 'to taste' kinda deal: do people paint multi-piece posable minis (Warmachine minis are pretty much the only ones that I can go off of since that's what I got) before or after assembly? I was having a lot of trouble with painting some of the areas with the way I had the Man-o-War posed so I think in his case I'll paint each major part seperately (upper torso, legs, left arm, right arm, hands and weapon) so that I can actually do it properly.
Two thoughts.

1. If you can't get to it to paint, you can't see it.
2. Sometimes you can see stuff you can't reach and/or you're OCD and want it all painted.

What I'm trying to do is a mix of the two. I have my models partially assembled (for my khador jacks, I have the legs+base, the torso, and each arm separate) with pins and holes all set up. Then I prime them and get at least a basecoat on everything. If it's an area that definitely won't be seen (the underside of the torso) then a basecoat is all I really care about. Other areas will be seen, just a total pain in the rear end to get at with a brush (like the sides of the torso after the arms would be on) so I just paint those all the way and assemble at the end.
Also, for anybody who uses P3 paints: do you thin them at all when painting Warmachine figures? I would assume you would if you're trying to do layering or something like that, but if you're just, like, doing basecoats and stuff, thinning isn't required, right?

quote:

On brushes: What brushes to buy? I see that Windsor & Newton are like the gold standard, but are there alternatives? I see these Rosemary & Co Artist Brushes on CMON that are like, "this is basically Windsor & Newton for half off, beat that suckers!"
I love my W&N S7 brushes. I've also heard good things about the Raphael Kolinsky Series 8404 brushes. Both are available on dickblick.com for a pretty reasonable rate.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Any manufacturer that uses real sable seems to make the brush at least decent quality.

That being said, when purchasing brushes, if they dont make perfect points when they are new, dont buy them

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
I'd thin P3s at least 2p:1w for basecoats, but I'm OCD as gently caress about brushstrokes (it doesn't help that my primary color scheme is mostly white).

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
What kind of brushes are decent for my first foray into drybrushing?

Edit: Answered my own question via this - http://paintingstuff.blogspot.com/2009/05/drybrushing-wetbrushing-and-likes.html

Iron Squid fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Dec 1, 2009

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Indolent Bastard posted:

Goddammit! I found your post earlier about which ebay store you use for magnets but now I can't find it and the 1st post on the Warhammer thread is the magnet supplier that rapes you on shipping.

Help a brother out?

http://stores.ebay.com/paylessrwe

So I just realized that I was bitching and bitching about my grainy primer jobs.

My grainy sandable primer jobs. :doh:

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
would the 1/8" x 1/32" magnets be too thin for supporting arms? I want to have to do as little drilling / cutting as possible as all my guys are metal.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Fix posted:

http://stores.ebay.com/paylessrwe

So I just realized that I was bitching and bitching about my grainy primer jobs.

My grainy sandable primer jobs. :doh:

If only they made magnetic primer. Actually, that would be pretty sweet, come to think of it.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=magnetic primer

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

Yog-Sothoth is the key and the guardian of the gate
Crosspost from gbs

WIP Doomwheel pics, crappy phone camera cos I can't be bothered breaking out the big camera for WIP shots but it's coming together

brass needs washed, another coat of yellow & wash on the cables, finish up the warpstone and rats/wheel studs and these bits are done, then I'll put it together with the outer assemblies and paint all those up. Getting done :) wish a little work thiswill be finished and based by the time my magnets arrive thursday/friday then i can pick up a bell/furnace kit to magnetize :D

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

How much does it cost to get the supplies to start pinning things? I would very much like my Spriggan to stop falling apart and actually hold his drat lance. Also how hard is pinning for a person who has never done it before?

iioshius
Apr 22, 2005

Fyrbrand posted:

After he does the wash, he repaints with less-diluted blue. Do you just avoid the areas where the wash pooled to preserve the shading there? Or did he just paint over it?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Let's break away from wargaming minis for a moment.

My father is a car buff, and he loves the look of this particular Bentley to death. I'm considering picking up a model kit for that car and painting it up for him as a Christmas present. Can I go about this with the materials and techniques I'm using for Warhammer minis, or do I need to invest in a bunch of new products and relearn everything?

Edit: Here's the car.

Kestral fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 1, 2009

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
If you have an airbrush and regularly use it to paint tanks: congratulations, everything you know is applicable to car modeling!

If you hand-paint everything with a brush: sorry, you're kind of boned unless you feel like buying an airbrush setup.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

You could paint it with rattlecans and then do the details w a brush

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Cool pre-heresy guide here if anyone is interested. I got it from the Tuesday Top Ten which actually has pretty cool poo poo in it every week and is worth checking out.

LewdMonocle
Mar 8, 2007
Inspirational stuff guys.

I got some Starship Trooper models dirt cheap (five bucks for the starter box) at Gencon this year.

This is my 1st attempt at painting since 3rd ed.

I followed the guide in the armybook- drybrush the poo poo out of it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

LewdMonocle posted:

Inspirational stuff guys.

I got some Starship Trooper models dirt cheap (five bucks for the starter box) at Gencon this year.

This is my 1st attempt at painting since 3rd ed.

I followed the guide in the armybook- drybrush the poo poo out of it.

Once I get the money for paints I'm going to probably be testing out my hand on these before moving to my Warmachine poo poo. loving Mongoose publishing shutting down the game before I ever got to actually use my army anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Len posted:

How much does it cost to get the supplies to start pinning things? I would very much like my Spriggan to stop falling apart and actually hold his drat lance. Also how hard is pinning for a person who has never done it before?

$9.99. http://www.thewarstore.com/product48378.html

I have a citadel pin vise and some of the individual packs of the P3 rods/bits, but you could just grab that and jump right in.

Pinning takes a little practice, but it's not as scary as painting. I'm scared of painting.

• Locked thread