Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Dienes posted:

I'm looking for sci-fi/fantasy books of any reading level that feature or are from the perspective of a species other than human. Some great examples I've loved include the Yilane from the West of Eden trilogy by Harry Harrison; the Oankali from Lilith's Brood by Octavia Butler; the aliens from A Door Into Ocean, Left Hand of Darkness, and A Woman of the Iron People; werewolves from The Silver Wolf by Alice Borchart; and, heck, even the unicorns from the Firebringer trilogy by Meredith Ann Pierce (the plot sucks but she write great non-human characters/culture).

If you like The Left Hand of Darkness, you could try the rest of Le Guinn's Hainish cycle, particularly The Dispossessed and The Telling, although these are human windows into alien worlds like Left Hand.

On another track, you could try David Brin's Uplift Trilogies. The first book is from a human perspective, but chimps, dolphins, and aliens aplenty take center stage as the series continues.

Going back along the lines of Le Guinn, Brin's Glory Season may be to your liking. It does start out a bit more along fantasy lines, but the sci-fi bleeds through as it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheerGrrl92
May 4, 2007
They call me the owner, because it's what I do
I have 2 requests..

1) This is really general. I just want to read something nonfiction that can give me knowledge or appreciation for a subject. For example, I read Cosmos and now I have a deep appreciation for why we know what we know about space and how we know it, along with tons of things ordinary people don't know. I could read about anything nonfiction, be it history, a biography, anything, as long as I come out knowing something I didn't know before.

2) I feel like every relationship I get into brings more pain than it should. The break-ups are harsh, I can't read signs and don't communicate well, I don't know when to end it, and on top of it all I might be controlling. Does anyone know of a good self-help relationship book that can address these issues?

criptozoid
Jan 3, 2005

Dienes posted:

I'm looking for sci-fi/fantasy books of any reading level that feature or are from the perspective of a species other than human. Some great examples I've loved include the Yilane from the West of Eden trilogy by Harry Harrison; the Oankali from Lilith's Brood by Octavia Butler; the aliens from A Door Into Ocean, Left Hand of Darkness, and A Woman of the Iron People; werewolves from The Silver Wolf by Alice Borchart; and, heck, even the unicorns from the Firebringer trilogy by Meredith Ann Pierce (the plot sucks but she write great non-human characters/culture).

Love Is the Plan the Plan Is Death by James Tiptree, Jr. is one of the better stories told from the perspective of the alien.

Edit: also The Narrow Land, a novella by Jack Vance where the characters are amphibian creatures.

criptozoid fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 1, 2009

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

CheerGrrl92 posted:

1) This is really general. I just want to read something nonfiction that can give me knowledge or appreciation for a subject. For example, I read Cosmos and now I have a deep appreciation for why we know what we know about space and how we know it, along with tons of things ordinary people don't know. I could read about anything nonfiction, be it history, a biography, anything, as long as I come out knowing something I didn't know before.

If you haven't, you should sample Sagan's other books. Goons seem to love Sagan's anit-superstition polemic The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark. I liked Pale Blue Dot as well.

Stephen Jay Gould's collections of essays wander all over the place, from history to pop culture to geology, but primarily biological evolution. He was a professional scientist and historian, not a Gladwell-esque dilettante, and wrote with authority on all these subjects. He is the closest thing to Carl Sagan that exists, I think. There are a number of his essays online if you want a taste. I loved his early collections, especially Ever Since Darwin and The Flamingo's Smile, but his non-essay books are also great (esp The Mismeasure of Man).

Fodder Cannon
Jan 12, 2008

I love to watch Fox News and then go club some baby seals

steiv18 posted:

I've been playing Assassin's Creed 2, and it's gotten me in the mood for something similar to the whole "massive ancient conspiracy" thing like the assassins/templars in the game. Bonus points for any wacky alternate-history stuff Henry Ford helped Hitler start WWII?! Any recommendations?

No Dan Brown, please.

The obvious suggestions would be Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose and Foucault's Pendulum. I'm about 100 pages from the end of Foucault's Pendulum and it's fantastic. If you're looking for non-fiction there are numerous books on the Medici family which I believe plays some part in the game.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

What's a good book on introductory music theory? Assume that I have no previous knowledge of it whatsoever.

EDIT: For purposes of evaluating and appreciating music, not composing. If that makes any signficant difference.

Bumping from the last page. Anybody?

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
I'm about 12% through "My Secret Life", and I really likes it. Does anyone know of other kinda books like that?

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

keyframe posted:

Guys I am looking for fiction\real books on:

-Viruses/germ warfare

-Post Apocalyptic books

-Zombies

Any suggestions? I have read World war z, the road, zombie survival guide.

Thanks in advance.

I didn't see anybody say it, but Stephen King's The Stand pretty much fits the bill here. It's also one of his best books, too.

hehehewwwwwww
Nov 24, 2005

gewfaewaf

hehehewwwwwww fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 18, 2019

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Can anyone give me a recommendation for books about the Afghanistan war?

A little more detail: I've gotten into books that are accounts from a group of people directly involved in armed conflicts. Cornelius Ryan's The Longest Day is my favourite book of that type. A collection of first and secondhand accounts of what happened on D-Day regarding very specific people.

I'm going through HBO's Generation Kill right now and I plan on reading the book in a month or two after the miniseries has settled in my mind. PBS Frontline's reports from Iraq and Afghanistan are among my favourite topics for the show.

I'm looking for something similar. Entirely non-fiction. It can be anything that isn't a direct conversation about the foibles or ethics surrounding the war or administrations dealing with it.

I poked around Amazon for a little bit trying to find what I want and ended up with a list ten miles long of books it thinks I should read.

Death Hamster
Aug 21, 2007
Is this a two-bagger I see before me?
I'm looking for a new fantasy series to get into. That is, swords and sorcery, not space opera.

Honestly, I'm up for anything. It can be literate or pulpy. I'd prefer something that's more or less a "page-turner" with good characters. The problem is I think I've read most of what's out there:

1. Song of Ice and Fire
2. Wheel of Time
3. Memory Sorrow and Thorn
4. Farseer Trilogy
5. Thomas Covenant Books
6. Xanth Books (1st 3 or so were ok...then ugh!)
7. Lord of the Rings
8. His Dark Materials
9. Narnia
10. Sword of Truth -- ugh.
11. Riftwar books by Raymond Feist
12. Elric Saga
13. Guardians of the Flame series
14. The seventh sword series by Dave Duncan
15. The King's Blades series by Dave Duncan
16. Mordant's Need series (ugh)
17. Chalion books by Lois McMaster Bujold

I think that's it...

Death Hamster
Aug 21, 2007

keyframe posted:

Guys I am looking for fiction\real books on:

-Viruses/germ warfare

-Post Apocalyptic books

-Zombies

Any suggestions? I have read World war z, the road, zombie survival guide.

Thanks in advance.

My favorite zombie books are the Brian Keene ones: The Risen and City of the Dead.

Simon Clark has some page turners like Stranger and Blood Crazy.

As far as viruses and Germ Warfare go: The Andromeda Strain if you can stand Michael Crichton's writing and The Hot Zone by Richard Preston for a more alarming real-life look at viruses.

criptozoid
Jan 3, 2005

Death Hamster posted:

Honestly, I'm up for anything. It can be literate or pulpy. I'd prefer something that's more or less a "page-turner" with good characters. The problem is I think I've read most of what's out there:

Jack Vance's "Lyonesse" trilogy is pretty good, only it has a somewhat slow start.

Anyway, if you don't mind waiting a little, this offer of the complete trilogy in one volume at The Book Depository is a steal.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Death Hamster posted:

I'm looking for a new fantasy series to get into. That is, swords and sorcery, not space opera.

1. Song of Ice and Fire
2. Wheel of Time
3. Memory Sorrow and Thorn
4. Farseer Trilogy
5. Thomas Covenant Books
6. Xanth Books (1st 3 or so were ok...then ugh!)
7. Lord of the Rings
8. His Dark Materials
9. Narnia
10. Sword of Truth -- ugh.
11. Riftwar books by Raymond Feist
12. Elric Saga
14. The seventh sword series by Dave Duncan
15. The King's Blades series by Dave Duncan
16. Mordant's Need series (ugh)
17. Chalion books by Lois McMaster Bujold

I think that's it...

The Black Company by Glen Cook was one heck of a page turner for me.

rasser
Jul 2, 2003

steiv18 posted:

I've been playing Assassin's Creed 2, and it's gotten me in the mood for something similar to the whole "massive ancient conspiracy" thing like the assassins/templars in the game. Bonus points for any wacky alternate-history stuff Henry Ford helped Hitler start WWII?! Any recommendations?

No Dan Brown, please.

Philip Roth, The Plot against Amercia might suit your needs. Not my personal recommendation as I haven't read it , yet.

rasser
Jul 2, 2003

buildmyrigdotcom posted:

I just recently read this article:

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/johann-hari/the-dark-side-of-dubai-1664368.html

which basically talks about the dark underside of Dubai. I find the city very interesting, but most of the books out there are just a circle jerk about how great it is. Anyone know of any books along the same lines as the article?

A great read. I have Robert Fisk, also at the Independent but these days probably with a duller edge than before, on my firefox bar. I find the Independent's list of commentators astonishingly good and while Johann Hari might be odd from time to time this was very, very interesting.
Book suggestions extending that line of thought - demasking a society and describing what it really is in essence? Modern USA, ancient societies, Europe, I'll consider anything.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
I am looking for some light hearted story to read, preferable a story with some nice humor. Any genre is fine. I think I would like some more modern books, and not classics or anything.

Death Hamster
Aug 21, 2007

Femur posted:

I am looking for some light hearted story to read, preferable a story with some nice humor. Any genre is fine. I think I would like some more modern books, and not classics or anything.

I think Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys might be right up your alley.

Facial Fracture
Aug 11, 2007

CheerGrrl92 posted:

I have 2 requests..

I read Daniel J. Boorstin's The Discoverers a few years ago; it's interesting and a good read but it's not remotely challenging. As an example, the first section is on time: it deals with water clocks, the evolution of calendars, etc. There are two other books that comprise something called "The Knowledge Series," I think? I haven't read the other two.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Facial Fracture posted:

I read Daniel J. Boorstin's The Discoverers a few years ago; it's interesting and a good read but it's not remotely challenging. As an example, the first section is on time: it deals with water clocks, the evolution of calendars, etc. There are two other books that comprise something called "The Knowledge Series," I think? I haven't read the other two.

Yeah, The Discoverers is really good. I just re-read my copy of it recently and while it is geared towards the layman, it's got a shitpile of fascinating information about the various topics Boorstin covers, so you'll definitely learn something from it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Since getting my kindle I have been running through several books from the guttenberg project and other free sources. I was wondering if I could get some recommendations on some classics.

For reference:

Sherlock Holmes series (which I love)
Alice in Wonderland (Which was I thought was quite good)
Lovecraft (which was hit or miss, but Mountains of Madness was excellent)
F Scott Fitzgerald Short Stories (Which I thought were decent)
Philip K Dick Short Stories (This one I bought, and I thought they were fantastic)

Some books that I have on my list
Mutiny on the Bounty (Any other nautical books would be nice)
Stephen King IT and The Stand (Both I bought)

I guess this boils down to enjoying well written, plot heavy books and a penchant for short stories. Long books are fine, but hard to get through or dense is a negative.

Hrrm, didn't mean for this to be such a long recommendation request....

Facial Fracture
Aug 11, 2007

Lockback posted:

Sherlock Holmes series (which I love)
Philip K Dick Short Stories (This one I bought, and I thought they were fantastic)
nautical

Poe's Murders In The Rue Morgue.

Jules Verne.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Death Hamster posted:

I'm a fan of Mercedes Lackey's "Last Herald-Mage" trilogy starts with Magic's Pawn- though all her Valdemar books are good, I started with those and have become a huge fan since then.

David Eddings has a bunch of good series - The Belgariad (starts with Pawn of Prophecy and goes for 5 books) and The Elenium (starts with The Diamond Throne and goes for 3.. (well, 6 if you count the second series, the Tamuli which is 3 more).

If you want something silly, and fast-reading, Robert Aspirin's "MYTH" series is very punny. :) (starts with Another Fine Myth and goes on forever.)

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Death Hamster posted:

If you haven't yet, check out the Coldfire Trilogy by C.S. Friedman. It's a fantasy trilogy about a world where peoples' hopes and fears become manifested through a force called the fae. It starts a little slow but it's very character-driven and has one of the best endings in any fantasy trilogy I've read. The first book is titled Black Sun Rising.

If you're looking for a really good, very entertaining page-turner series, definitely check out the Vlad Taltos series by Steven Brust. The books are told from the perspective of Vlad Taltos, an assassin and sorcerer who lives as a minority in a city full of the much longer-lived Dragaerans, and works for a Mafia-like organization. The books are published out of chronological order so you can either read them in publication order or chronological order. I'd recommend going with publication, so start with Jhereg.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Lockback posted:

Some books that I have on my list
Mutiny on the Bounty (Any other nautical books would be nice)
They're not on Gutenberg, but I have heard only (well, mostly) good things about Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey and Maturin series.

Death Hamster posted:

I have to put in a plug for Jim Butcher's Codex Alera. The final one just came out, so you won't have to worry about the author dying before you finish the series. They're a great quick read and quite fun.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Death Hamster posted:

The problem is I think I've read most of what's out there:

quote:

(1-17)
I think that's it...

dude :(

There are literally hundreds of new books published in the genre every year. Fellas upthread already mentioned Brust and Cook, get yourself some Erikson or Pratchett or GENE WOLFE or find a used book store and get some Hugh Cook; Kate Elliot just finished a series and there's also her previous one, Kerr's Deverry books are finally done and yea the last couple stunk but the first few are great and there's like a million of them; I see you mentioned Dave Duncan, Lawrence Watt Evans is kind of like him.

For these vague kind of genre recommendations you shouldn't listen to some jackass like me on the somethingawful.com forums you should GO TO THE LIBRARY and GET A LIBRARY CARD and FIND THE GENRE SECTION and GRAB SOME BOOKS AT RANDOM TO SEE IF THEY ARE GOOD because what's the worst that can happen?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Death Hamster posted:

I could have sworn I was the only person who'd ever read these.

Anyway, you have read the Discworld series, right?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I would like some suggestions about good narrative history books. I like history, but I like the ones that tell it like a story and try to get into the heads of the participants and explain what they were thinking and why they did those things. I've got Cicero and Augustus by Anthony Everitt, Rubicon and Persian Fire by Tom Holland, The Grand Inquisitor's Manual by Jonathan Kirsch, April 1865 by Jay Winik, American Brutus by Michael W. Kauffman, and a book each on the founding of America and the pre-reign life of Elizabeth I, which I can't remember the names of. Of all of those, Rubicon is my favorite.

I think I'm pretty good on Rome up through Augustus, but would like stuff on its later emperors and eventual fall, and then pretty much any other time period would be great too. It'd be nice if there was one book that tried to narratively cover all of World War II or some other recent war, but that doesn't seem to exist. Things get more piecemeal the closer to the present you get.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

freebooter posted:

I could have sworn I was the only person who'd ever read these.

Anyway, you have read the Discworld series, right?

Ooh. I missed that. I've read Guardians of the Flame and Discworld. (At least the first 20 books or so.)

criptozoid
Jan 3, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

I think I'm pretty good on Rome up through Augustus, but would like stuff on its later emperors and eventual fall, and then pretty much any other time period would be great too. It'd be nice if there was one book that tried to narratively cover all of World War II or some other recent war, but that doesn't seem to exist. Things get more piecemeal the closer to the present you get.

You could try to find a copy of "The Fall of Rome" by R. A. Lafferty, centered around the characters of Alaric and Stilicho. It's a weird book and the scholarship is... eccentric, to say the least. Sometimes Lafferty outright invents stuff without telling you so, and it's you job to sort out what's actually historical and what's Lafferty filling in the gaps. Despite (or because of) that, it's a very intriguing book. It also contains a particularly thrilling description of the Battle of the Frigidus river.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

I would like some suggestions about good narrative history books. I like history, but I like the ones that tell it like a story and try to get into the heads of the participants and explain what they were thinking and why they did those things. I've got Cicero and Augustus by Anthony Everitt, Rubicon and Persian Fire by Tom Holland, The Grand Inquisitor's Manual by Jonathan Kirsch, April 1865 by Jay Winik, American Brutus by Michael W. Kauffman, and a book each on the founding of America and the pre-reign life of Elizabeth I, which I can't remember the names of. Of all of those, Rubicon is my favorite.

1776 by David McCullough is really good - it chronicles a period from King George's speech to Parliament at the end of 1775 to Washington crossing the Delaware in Christmas 1776. It reads a bit more like a novel than a straight history book, and there's a ton of excerpts from letters and writings on both sides of the conflict to really give you a sense of what both sides were thinking.

Death Hamster
Aug 21, 2007

fritz posted:

dude :(

There are literally hundreds of new books published in the genre every year. Fellas upthread already mentioned Brust and Cook, get yourself some Erikson or Pratchett or GENE WOLFE or find a used book store and get some Hugh Cook; Kate Elliot just finished a series and there's also her previous one, Kerr's Deverry books are finally done and yea the last couple stunk but the first few are great and there's like a million of them; I see you mentioned Dave Duncan, Lawrence Watt Evans is kind of like him.

For these vague kind of genre recommendations you shouldn't listen to some jackass like me on the somethingawful.com forums you should GO TO THE LIBRARY and GET A LIBRARY CARD and FIND THE GENRE SECTION and GRAB SOME BOOKS AT RANDOM TO SEE IF THEY ARE GOOD because what's the worst that can happen?

I have read (and love) Gene Wolfe, but I figured his New Sun/Long Sun/Short Sun books were counted as Science Fiction/Dying Earth genre and not Fantasy...although I can see how they would be.

Thanks for the other recommendations, though.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Death Hamster posted:

I have read (and love) Gene Wolfe, but I figured his New Sun/Long Sun/Short Sun books were counted as Science Fiction/Dying Earth genre and not Fantasy...although I can see how they would be.

Thanks for the other recommendations, though.

Man, you can't split hairs that fine, New Sun's got a dude with a sword going around having adventures and in any case I was thinking more along the lines of the Latro books or Wizard/Knight. You're also a Duncan guy and you didn't mention his older stuff like /The Cursed/ or /West of January/ (yeah maybe this one's /technically/ on the sf side but you can just sort of pretend you didn't see that part).

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
I'm looking for techno thrillers- read a Lot of Clancy, Dan brown etc etc. Preferrably stuff without a big Christian slant and something that doesn't involve the slimy liberal rat senator as the most evil character.

Edit: I think I meant Dale brown...
Edit2: also just finished red storm rising which is what ignited my recent investigation into the genre. I'm interested in stuff along those lines- especially a realistic approach to how a war with Iran would play out

thesurlyspringKAA fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Dec 19, 2009

wldmn13
Nov 26, 2003
I have three requests:

-A book or books on the 6 Day War. I'm not too interested in the political side of things, more of the military tactics used by all sides.

-A book or books on the Civil War from the soldiers' perspective. First hand accounts would be great, but not statistics, battlefield maps, and other dry things.

-I had a childrens' version of Count of Monte Cristo and it was one of my favorite books as a child. I finally read the real version a couple of years ago, and towards the end the revelation that was made about the baby was the only time in my life of reading that I actually said "Oh... poo poo" out loud. I completely didn't see it coming, though maybe I should have. Any recommendations for good reads with surprises that are difficult to see coming?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

wldmn13 posted:

-A book or books on the 6 Day War. I'm not too interested in the political side of things, more of the military tactics used by all sides.

The further reading section of the wikipedia page looks like it has a few potentially useful titles:

Aloni, Shlomo (2001). Arab-Israeli Air Wars 1947–1982. Osprey Aviation. ISBN 1-84176-294-6

Bar-On, Mordechai, Never-Ending Conflict: Israeli Military History, ISBN 0275981584

Bowen, Jeremy (2003). Six Days: How the 1967 War Shaped the Middle East. London: Simon & Schuster. ISBN 0-7432-3095-7

Hammel, Eric (1992). Six Days in June: How Israel Won the 1967 Arab-Israeli War. Simon & Schuster. ISBN 0-7434-7535-6

Herzog, Chaim (1982). The Arab-Israeli Wars; Arms & Armour Press.

Morris, Benny (1997). Israel's Border Wars, 1949–1956. Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-829262-7

Oren, Michael (2002). Six Days of War. Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-515174-7

Pollack, Kenneth (2004). Arabs at War: Military Effectiveness, 1948–1991. University of Nebraska Press. ISBN 0-8032-8783-6

Segev, Tom (2005). Israel in 1967. Keter. ISBN 965-07-1370-0.

quote:

-A book or books on the Civil War from the soldiers' perspective. First hand accounts would be great, but not statistics, battlefield maps, and other dry things.

I liked Joseph Glatthaar's General Lee's Army: From Victory to Collapse, which focuses on the confederate side. I includes many excerpts from soldier's letters and such (not my favourite aspect of any military history), but also makes liberal use of your dry things that put these into perspective.

poronty
Oct 19, 2006
a hung Aryan
Please recommend me fiction/semi-fiction books about cats, narrated by a cat or something of that sort. I don't really have any point of reference other than I Am A Cat by Natsume Souseki, but I was thinking of something that is more contemporary and lighter, yet still reasonably intelligent and not nauseatingly cutesy or infantile.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.
I was watching In the Name of the Father the other night and realized that I know next to nothing about The Troubles in Northern Ireland except that there were a lot of bombings and religion was involved.

So what's a good book to educate me a little? Preferably not too dry.

Ballsworthy
Apr 30, 2008

yup

poronty posted:

Please recommend me fiction/semi-fiction books about cats, narrated by a cat or something of that sort. I don't really have any point of reference other than I Am A Cat by Natsume Souseki, but I was thinking of something that is more contemporary and lighter, yet still reasonably intelligent and not nauseatingly cutesy or infantile.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felidae_%28novel%29

I didn't know it was a series until just now, actually, but I read the first one and thought it was alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

Loofa08 posted:

I read High Fidelity by Nick Hornby and absolutely adored it. I was in the bookstore the other day and I was checking out his books. If I loved High Fidelity, will I like his other books? Recommendations?

A Long Way Down was pretty decent. It was also a very quick read.

Encryptic posted:

What are some other good books that tackle the same subject that Guns, Germs and Steel does? I remember reading on here that GG&S was pretty flawed and someone recommended a couple other books that they considered to be better-written and not logically unsound, but I didn't write them down and I can't remember for the life of me what they were called.

Ecological Imperialism is something close. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecological_Imperialism:_The_Biological_Expansion_of_Europe,_900-1900

I quite enjoyed it. Probably more so than GG&S.

Zedlic posted:

I was watching In the Name of the Father the other night and realized that I know next to nothing about The Troubles in Northern Ireland except that there were a lot of bombings and religion was involved.

So what's a good book to educate me a little? Preferably not too dry.

If you're looking for bang for your buck, Marc Mulholland's Northern Ireland, A Very Short Introduction has you set. It's $9, 150 pages and it'll learn you good.