Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

trans fat posted:

I really suck at making electronic music. I made what I think is a sufficient beat and a sufficient bassline. What can I do to this track to make it bumpin like the ones you guys make?

e: I intend to expand the very last part, I just left it as is to get some feedback and help.

Practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice.

edit: and for the record:

bit over a year ago, way too loving long, kinda rambling, poo poo quality, and generally got some cool ideas but very meh overall.

from a few weeks back. clear chorus and verse, clear melody, decent (if way overdone) mixdown, etc. The difference between the two of these is honestly just hours and hours and hours of writing and figuring out what works and what doesn't.

mezzir fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Nov 26, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

trans fat posted:

What can I do to this track to make it bumpin like the ones you guys make?

Dont ever ever stop, press on.

trans fat posted:

sufficient beat and a sufficient bassline

That trans fat; his music is sufficient / That trans fat; his music is good

Which of the above do you prefer?

Why are you stopping, why not press on?

Add add add, explore, get lost in it. Strive to be good, perfect, inventive, weird, interesting, whatever, but not sufficient. Sufficient wont do. Sufficient is in fact; the enemy

:smug:

and

Practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice.

trans fat
Jul 29, 2007

It's not that I'm quitting, it's that I've finally made a track that I wouldn't be embarrassed to show people. I was looking for info on making good sounds. I'll be continuing to add on to this song, I just got to a point that it was developed enough - it's unfinished.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
You dont just get told how to make stuff sound good though, you get nudged in the right direction when you go off course (at best) and the rest is all experience.

Listen to other music, compare it to yours - really pick apart the sounds and try to hear all the layers they have in.

colonp - I'll give you that, it's the fattest track i've done in a long time. I dont mean fat like ph either, fat like 'theres shitloads going on'
It was supposed to be a bit atonal and hectic, but theres a very fine line between that and sounding good and making a complete mess of it.

I think i'm going to have a go at remixing it myself soon, clean it up, make it nice and presentable. ;)
A friend has sent me all the famous 'jacks house' accapellas, reckon it could make some nice deep house. I know its the amen break of house music but gently caress it.

edit:
What a loving speech.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO9KEKnnlKs&feature=related

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Nov 26, 2009

The Dentist
Dec 23, 2008

we're un-hello now.
Here's a small question for the chiptune enthusiasts.. there's a specific sound that I absolutely love, and it's prominent in some old nes games like guardian legend. Here's an example of it.. the song "These Days" http://www.myspace.com/totallyradd at 1:17-1:19, those 5 notes there. What's going on with that effect, is it called something? I love it.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

The Dentist posted:

Here's a small question for the chiptune enthusiasts.. there's a specific sound that I absolutely love, and it's prominent in some old nes games like guardian legend. Here's an example of it.. the song "These Days" http://www.myspace.com/totallyradd at 1:17-1:19, those 5 notes there. What's going on with that effect, is it called something? I love it.

It's a very short arpeggio. Trackers have this feature where you can trigger an instrument with an arpeggio effect, which will play it at three different notes in rapid succession, which is, when you have just three channels like on the c-64, the only way you can have some semblance of chords while anything else is playing.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
I really think I may have to buy U-He's new ACE synth.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008

squidgee posted:

I really think I may have to buy U-He's new ACE synth.

I approve of the virtual patch cords. I've always felt that developers can't go wrong giving modular style options to sound designers.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Looks a lot like ABL Pro

edit: This just came in, http://www.native-instruments.com/en/specials/synthsgiving/

wayfinder fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Nov 27, 2009

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 8, 2014

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008

colonp posted:

Live Suite vs Live 8 + Massive? I haven't really toyed with NI's synths yet, downloading demos now.
I think Live + Massive is a valid alternative if you've got a computer that can handle Massive being your one and only softsynth. It has a (IMO fairly deserved) reputation for being a resource hog.

Jamz
May 12, 2007

Galoomp!
I've been playing around with ableton live for a few months and now I'm looking to buy my first midi controller keyboard.

For the amount of money I'm willing to spend, I'm wondering what would be more useful: a 25 key controller with a healthy compliment of midi assignable controls, or a 49 key model that's a bit lighter on the midi controls?

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

It really depends on your style of playing and comfort. In my view, if you can actually play piano and are used to playing with 2 hands, get the 49, because you'll be so frustrated with the smaller one. You can buy another box with a bunch of knobs on it or a trigger finger if you want pads.

If you're just banging out monophonic synth lines, stick with the 25.

goatmouth
Oct 24, 2005

:respek::respek::respek::respek::respek::respek::respek:
Soon Mr. Moon will be shining bright so the best day ever will last all night.
i'm a scrub, but i like more keys because even with one-handed basic synth lines I can play a lot of different octaves to see which one I like best. I usually don't know off the bat, and I would be so annoyed pressing the octave +/- all the time. that's something to think about I guess

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

goatmouth posted:

i'm a scrub, but i like more keys because even with one-handed basic synth lines I can play a lot of different octaves to see which one I like best. I usually don't know off the bat, and I would be so annoyed pressing the octave +/- all the time. that's something to think about I guess

Also 25 isn't enough when you're trying to figure out chords in some keys. Get at least 37 keys.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

goatmouth posted:

If you even have a doubt about it, go for the bigger one. You can always get a second hand midi controller with some faders, pads and pots for cheap as gently caress. So many people get controllers like that, use them in their bedroom for a few months then sell them on.
It's easy to upgrade simple controls, but you want better keys you need to replace what you've got.

edit: colonp - i'd reccomed the full NI synth pack. I use massive, absynth & fm8 in equal measure, it'd be hard to pick a favourite.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 28, 2009

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?

colonp posted:

Live Suite vs Live 8 + Massive? I haven't really toyed with NI's synths yet, downloading demos now.

I think you'd be a bit short handed if you were only using Massive. Massive and FM8 on the other hand...

I have Live 8 + NI Komplete + Reason. I've definitely got enough expression available to me. More than enough. However the fact that Live's integrated synths are so much easier to control (particularly now that I have an APC40) and so much less resource intensive (than Massive in particular) means I probably will end up buying the Live Suite upgrade as soon as I can justify it to myself.

However, I would not like to be without FM8. If I were able to pick only one synth it would most likely be FM8, not Massive. Particular since you can use freebies like Asynth and Synth1 to do the things that FM8 doesn't do so well, but you can't really use any freebies I know of to do what FM8 does so well.

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.

trans fat posted:

I really suck at making electronic music. I made what I think is a sufficient beat and a sufficient bassline. What can I do to this track to make it bumpin like the ones you guys make?

e: I intend to expand the very last part, I just left it as is to get some feedback and help.

Just add some Lil' Wayne :colbert:

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Only tangentially related to the thread, but this thread accounts for like 50% of my posts and its not really worth starting a new thread, so:

I need a new producer name.

1) mezzir's getting stale

2) I use mezzir for everything, from email to my tf2 character to forum names and

2b) I'm getting to the point where I want to start focusing my music and branding it. Not branding in the sense of serious marketing or anything, but ideally I'd want mezzir to have one concrete style or at least semi-cohesive body of work, which at this point it absolutely does not

3) I'm a believer in self-reinvention and this is a good opportunity to do so
so:

Anyone have any tips on how to go about coming up with something like this or anything? I've been using mezzir since I needed a name to play as playing Whiplash back in like 4th grade and so I hit the keyboard and got mezor and tweaked it so it looked better, so I'm obviously lacking in the coming-up-with-names-for-things department.

My only idea so far is a concept I was reading about in a book recently, l'homme moyen. Originally (I believe) more or less a predecessor to homo economicus, the idealized person upon which economists (i'm an econ student) base their models. l'homme moyen (the average man) was supposedly a man that was the median at absolutely everything. Median income, median hair length, median toenail length, median music preferences, and thus to me seems like half the most boring and uninteresting person in the world, and yet also in a bizarre sense, kind of perfect seeing as many people (myself included) tend to define themselves at least in part by their flaws, which this mythical person would have absolutely none of. Really cool concept to me but then again in the world of self-promotion, naming yourself after something decidedly average might not be the best idea.
Any ideas anyone?

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008
I just use my real name. I don't think you can go wrong with just using your name.

l'homme moyen is not a good name for a producer, because it's hard to pronounce that word reading it and I don't think people will know how to spell it if they hear it. This would gently caress you. Internet, etc.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Aaaaaaand two random sketches

Afro Thunder
Sep 4, 2003

Makin blunts disappear like Im houdini
Any opinions on the little phatty? Virus TI?

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008

Afro Thunder posted:

Any opinions on the little phatty? Virus TI?
I've owned and used a LP, and currently own and use a Virus TI. The Virus is a loving beast, it's widely regarded as one of the nicest synths around. The only con is that it's digital... if you really care about that kind of thing. Personally I don't. I have a Voyager also and that was why I got rid of the LP, but in my opinion the LP is overpriced for what it is.

My suggestion is neither; build a eurorack system. It's not as expensive as you might think, and you can get sounds out of it that are completely unique to you and your system.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Afro Thunder
Sep 4, 2003

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

I've owned and used a LP, and currently own and use a Virus TI. The Virus is a loving beast, it's widely regarded as one of the nicest synths around. The only con is that it's digital... if you really care about that kind of thing. Personally I don't. I have a Voyager also and that was why I got rid of the LP, but in my opinion the LP is overpriced for what it is.

My suggestion is neither; build a eurorack system. It's not as expensive as you might think, and you can get sounds out of it that are completely unique to you and your system.

From what I've read the top synths are: Virus TI / Roland X6 / Triton XL.

From the youtube videos (not sure how accurate they are) the Little Phatty just seems like it has outdated synths that don't sound impressive at all, but then again most people who put youtube videos up are people that beginners and just want to show off what they have.

I'm leaning towards the Virus TI because all the videos I've seen of it are pretty good. I know I'm basing all of this off youtube videos, but if a idiot can make a Virus TI sound pretty good it has a strong selling point.

The eurorack system seems complicated, and google searches just bring up websites that look like they were designed in 1996 :(

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008

Afro Thunder posted:

From the youtube videos (not sure how accurate they are) the Little Phatty just seems like it has outdated synths that don't sound impressive at all, but then again most people who put youtube videos up are people that beginners and just want to show off what they have.

I'm leaning towards the Virus TI because all the videos I've seen of it are pretty good. I know I'm basing all of this off youtube videos, but if a idiot can make a Virus TI sound pretty good it has a strong selling point.

The eurorack system seems complicated, and google searches just bring up websites that look like they were designed in 1996 :(
Access also makes the Virus Snow, which sports the same DSP architecture as its bigger brother. It's smaller, and can't handle quite as many voices as the TI model, (10 to 50 voices VS. Between 25 to 110 voices depending on the complexity of patches ) but it sounds the same. 10-50 voices is plenty to work with, and if you're producing on a budget it might be perfect. It's $1,310.00 for the snow and the TI is $3,150.00 right now on Musician's Friend, but I always advise people to camp eBay for synths. You can get a good deal if you're patient. There's some menu diving involved if you want to edit the sound from the box and not from the VST interface. There's also the desktop version of the TI (no keyboard) that has the same number of voices. It's $2,300.00. It has the knobs, too, just no keyboard. You could use a MIDI controller you already have and save yourself quite a little bit of money.

http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.com/product/Access-Virus-TI-Snow?sku=703138
http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.com/product/Access-Virus-TI2-Desktop?sku=580578

Here's a written article from Sound on Sound on the Snow: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug08/articles/tisnow.htm

Here's a great video review of the Snow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWV3N7TOVjc

I recommend this synthesizer in any form.

edit: Well I was going to go to sleep, but now I'm going to be up all night messing with my Virus...

OMGWTFAOLBBQ fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Dec 1, 2009

Afro Thunder
Sep 4, 2003

So I could use my Akai MPK61 and run it through Midi through either the Snow or Desktop? I'm leaning towards the snow because I'm still a beginner and I don't really feel I could take advantage of everything the Desktop offers for awhile.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008

Afro Thunder posted:

So I could use my Akai MPK61 and run it through Midi through either the Snow or Desktop? I'm leaning towards the snow because I'm still a beginner and I don't really feel I could take advantage of everything the Desktop offers for awhile.
Yes, you can. I really don't think you can go wrong with the Snow on this one. I think that this unit has the best "what you pay vs. what you get" ratio of any piece of kit a home studio based producer can buy. here is a Snow from a respected dealer for $999 on eBay. Comparing this synthesizer to, say, the Little Phatty... you get a loving shitload more features with the Snow, and I think the sounds you can get out of the Virus engine are more "contemporary". (The hypersaw waveform on the Virus is kind of is what I'm thinking of.) I don't really think this is a fair comparison though because they're kind of designed with two different goals. I think the LP is for people who might want to use it to play Live, or are specifically looking for that Moog sound. The Snow is for people who want a super affordable, powerful, and portable outboard solution to sound synthesis. You can literally throw the Snow in a bag with a laptop and have a small portable studio right there.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Afro Thunder posted:

Haha. No. :v:.

There are no "top synths". The Triton has been long replaced by the Korg M3, and above that there's the OASYS. The Roland Fantom X6 has been replaced by the G6 (or 7 or 8, only difference is in the size and the keyboard). The TI now has a TI2. Also, it's kind of weird to ignore stuff like the Yamaha Motif XS and the Kurzweil PC3x or whatever they have nowadays.

Thing is, while the Roland and Korg are somewhat comparable, the Virus is something completely different. The Roland, Korg and Yamaha are sample-playback synthesizers; they are essentially a giant dongle with a decent sample library with lots of variety. If you put these against dedicated libraries for grand pianos or orchestral sounds (think Vienna Symphonic) they kind of get pounded in the dust, simply because of the gigabytes involved (VSL is huge).

On the other hand, they don't require a computer and this means you only have to lug one box on stage - plus, the keyboard quality is actually pretty good (controllers have keyboards that feel poor and cheap compared to these things).

The Virus is an analog modeling synthesizer. It won't give you realistic sounds at all; it might have some organ or string sounds on board that sound somewhat convincing, but those are the exception, not the norm. In other words, they're not "top synthesizers" if you want realistic sounds. On the other hand, the Fantom/Motif etc. aren't "top synthesizers" if you want purely synthetic sounds.

The more you try to cram into a single box for a set price, the more likely you are to end up with a laptop. It's really a jack of all trades, master of none kind of deal in some cases.

quote:

From the youtube videos (not sure how accurate they are) the Little Phatty just seems like it has outdated synths that don't sound impressive at all
The Little Phatty -is- a synth. It does not have 'm. Also, synthesizers rarely make sound on their own; it's not uncommon at all to yank them through an entire chain of effects to make it sound lush. The Virus has a shitload of on-board effects and employs them judiciously; the Phatty has no effects except (over)drive; you're supposed to add effects yourself (where applicable; bass sounds and endless reverb generally won't be a good mix).

quote:

but then again most people who put youtube videos up are people that beginners and just want to show off what they have.
Take a look at this guy: http://www.youtube.com/user/keybdwizrd

There is no choice between a Little Phatty and a Virus TI, because you'd be comparing apples and rhinos. One is a classic monosynth, the other's a do-it-all-DSP-based machine. One aims at simplicity, the other at complexity. One doesn't need a PC, the other will offer lots of benefits if you integrate it with a computer-based setup because you won't be diving through the menus for ages.

If you're looking for modern dance sounds and actually want to play chords - get the Virus. The difference between a TI and a Virus B/C is huge; the difference between a Virus B and a C isn't that big. The Snow won't have shitloads of knobs to tweak, but will give you half of the TI's power in a nice and compact box.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 1, 2009

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008
This track isn't done, but I'm very happy with it so far.

http://soundcloud.com/kevinrothi/string-theory

Afro Thunder
Sep 4, 2003

Yoozer posted:

Stuff

I'm mostly looking for something can give me a modern dance sound. So far the Virus looks like its the best one at accomplishing that. I looked at the other models you mentioned, and the Virus still seems like the best way to go.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Afro Thunder posted:

I'm mostly looking for something can give me a modern dance sound. So far the Virus looks like its the best one at accomplishing that. I looked at the other models you mentioned, and the Virus still seems like the best way to go.

What qualifies the Virus as better?

Meatsplosion
Oct 25, 2006

+3 Meat Elemental

melee beats posted:

Badge + Blinky lights

Afro Thunder: Have you checked out the DSI Poly Evolver? It's a bit more limited than Virus but it sounds amazing and it's got LOADS of LEDs. Or if you don't need to play chords the Moog Voyager is absolutely RIDICULOUS for bass and leads and is available in many stylish backlight color/woodgrain combinations. :v:

Actually DSI Tetra + Waldorf Blofeld would be a really cost-effective and versatile combo if you've got a MIDI controller already.

Meatsplosion fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 2, 2009

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
I want a Voyager so bad :(

The pitch bend and mod wheels are so nice

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008

Meatsplosion posted:

Waldorf Blofeld
I had this synth. I sold it almost immediately. I can't stand this synthesizer, I'd rather use a VST.

Meatsplosion
Oct 25, 2006

+3 Meat Elemental

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

I had this synth. I sold it almost immediately. I can't stand this synthesizer, I'd rather use a VST.
I guess that's why they released Largo heheh

Afro Thunder
Sep 4, 2003

melee beats posted:

Trent Reznor uses it :v:

In all seriousness though, when I was looking at keyboards at Guitar Center it was the only one that stood out to me personally.

The DSI Tetra sounds pretty good though form what I'm looking at now:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJLhJQ8jz_8

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Afro Thunder posted:

I absolutely love my Snow - it's a great synth. It sounds fantastic, integrates really well with my DAW, has heaps of synthesis parameters, and takes a lot of the workload off my CPU :)

I've got a fairly broad selection of synth plugins on my computer, but the Virus is generally my 'go-to' synth. Synths like Sylenth1 and Massive are fantastic, but they have disadvantages - e.g. Sylenth1 sounds great, but the interface blows, the modulation options are lacking, and some of the built in FX are a bit gash. Likewise, Massive sounds fantastic, but it's a ridiculous resource hog. Virus Control ticks all the boxes, though (IMO, at least).

If you can justify the cost, then a Snow is a nice piece of kit to get.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
You guys! Can you please listen to a track i made and maybe give some tips on how to improve it? You can stream it from http://u.nu/9ed44

Thank you!

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

wayfinder posted:

You guys! Can you please listen to a track i made and maybe give some tips on how to improve it? You can stream it from http://u.nu/9ed44

Thank you!

Goddamn, this is really well done. I was gonna say file this poo poo in your portfolio, until I hit that distorted bassy breakdown. I dont really like it at all. It sounds ok once the rest of the elements kick back in, I suppose, but I really do not like it on its own. Others may like it though, so you may just as well ignore this.

Next track, keep going never ever stop.

All you other fags better listen to this poo poo, its quality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Afro Thunder
Sep 4, 2003

wayfinder posted:

Thank you!

Pretty good track, but I agree with the poster about the breakdown needs to be re-tooled it sounds too out of place with the song.

• Locked thread