Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Lord Commissar posted:

I think most of the black metal shows will likely be at the Palladium in Worcester.

We have black metal shows at the palladium? Marduk was the first I've seen come around in a long loving time.

Splash Damage posted:

What are some good bands similar to Windir or Vreid? What I am mainly looking for is not singing about satan all the time and trying so hard to offend people. Black Metal might not be a good genre to look for things like that but I like the growling vocals.

Mistur all the way. And Sigtyr, another band from the same area cutting from the same cloth. Iskald might work for you too but I remember them being a bit more brightly produced than Mistur or Sigtyr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Recommend to me some ambient black metal. I.E. Darkspace.

Edit: Or more...spacey black metal...if there is such a thing.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
Nightbringer - Death and The Black Work is quite a bit like Darkspace.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Latis posted:

I don't listen much to ambient stuff, so I don't have any recommendations, but for spacy stuff, check out Oranssi Pazuzu.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Latis posted:

Check out Sun Of The Blind, side-project of Zhaaral from Darkspace. He released the first album earlier this year, and it's definitely worth picking up.

Also if you like "spacey" black metal, you can hardly go wrong with the newest Blut Aus Nord.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Latis posted:

Local (Seattle) guy and a good friend of mine: Grim Pig.

http://www.myspace.com/grimpig

He also has CDs that you can purchase.

He also does work under the name Ordo Tyrannis.

http://www.myspace.com/ordotyrannis

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

Latis posted:

The Ruins of Beverast. I really like Unlock the Shrine but I'm told the new album is good, too.

Also Nyktalgia, they have a bit of a Darkspace thing going on. The aforementioned Nightbringer and Sun of the Blind are excellent. And Enmerkar's EP Starlit Passage is seriously good, a top 10 release of the year for me.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Funeral Mist posted:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=560400

song #2 mixdown 993801

mine and my friends new project, a little rough, we've only jammed twice but i think its decent.
I've listened to that one and the one with vocals. Sounds pretty decent. The one with vocals almost seemed more like crust punk than black metal to me, at least in the beginning. Might have been the vocal delivery. The playing is slightly sloppy at times, but I don't really mind that when the whole production is kinda nekro. I could only listen to it on crappy laptop speakers, because I broke my headphones, though.

Although it has been said a lot, your stuff is really good, Plasma1010. I might have been a bit of dick in the thread you posted in GBS, so sorry about that. I was at work, and in a bad mood.

And since people are posting their own music in this thread; Here's a song from my band. We're currently recording a new demo/album, and finished most of the songs except the vocals. This one is the only one that's kinda finished, although the mix isn't done.

Funeral Mist
Sep 30, 2009
We're working on another song, I put some vocals on this one to, it's called "Die Tonight."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=560400

Yeah stairway to hippo. To be honest I don't really know the songs to well (not that they're hard to learn) so I'm just guessing at parts and playing generic fills. Hopefully the more we work together and if we find some people to play live with it'll sound a lot less bland and my drumming will be more up to par. I like the poo poo you posted. Good riffs(great tone to) and some really nice vocals.

Funeral Mist fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 3, 2009

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Morbid Florist posted:

We have black metal shows at the palladium? Marduk was the first I've seen come around in a long loving time.

I'm mostly guessing based on other concerts I see they have there. I'm a recent transplant to the area.

I know they have lots of Death metal shows there, and some of the opening bands seem to be black metal. But I don't see anything upcoming.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

ElectricWizard posted:

While it's not strictly black metal, Keep Of Kalessin have now announced that they will be participating in the 2010 Norwegian Eurovision contest.

On a side note, I've just gotten confirmed that I will be studying in Toronto this spring (moving from Norway), does anyone know if there is much of a metal scene in Ontario?

Eurovision 2k10 is gonna be amazing. Lordi ain't got poo poo on KoK.

And if you're coming to TO, register at the BraveBoard. A lot of the posters are from TO, and we're generally a great bunch. There's a pretty big metal scene here, with a lot of venues and some good shows coming through.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Heh, they may be participating, but they most likely won't win the Norwegian vote, since Eurovision audience is mostly people with...well, frankly very awful musical taste anyways. Seriously.

Caucasus Belli
Jun 6, 2007

by T. Finn
Hahaha bloody hell

This should be a great eurovision

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

There's gotta be more bands like Myrkgrav out there. Off the top of my head I can think of Falkenbach and Manegarm, but other than that I can't think of anymore. Any recommendations?

Edit: Mostly just looking for black metal with the folky chanting. I can't get enough of it.

I Brake For MILFs fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 4, 2009

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Latis posted:

Heh, they may be participating, but they most likely won't win the Norwegian vote, since Eurovision audience is mostly people with...well, frankly very awful musical taste anyways. Seriously.

This is the key thing. They have to get through several sets of preliminary rounds to be chosen as the country's representative. This is unlikely to happen.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

It depends on the song they write for this, of course, but they have very little chance of getting past the Norwegian "finals". It could happen, but not with a song that's easily classifiable as black metal. I don't really understand why they want to do this anyway, but PR is PR I guess.

Pannus fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Dec 4, 2009

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

lordblytzkrieg posted:

There's gotta be more bands like Myrkgrav out there. Off the top of my head I can think of Falkenbach and Manegarm, but other than that I can't think of anymore. Any recommendations?

Edit: Mostly just looking for black metal with the folky chanting. I can't get enough of it.

Sorgsvart, perhaps? His newest album Vikingtid Og Anarki has its moments, if you can stomach the sometimes cheesy synth.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

lordblytzkrieg posted:

Oh god is this actually a legit chance for me to post Moonsorrow? Because Kivenkantaja or Verisäkeet might be just what you're after.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Oh god is this actually a legit chance for me to post Moonsorrow? Because Kivenkantaja or Verisäkeet might be just what you're after.

I would say that it is. Moonsorrow has a fair bit of chanting. I second Moonsorrow.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

poo poo, I forgot about Moonsorrow! Yea, I have a couple of their albums and I will absolutely check more out.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

lordblytzkrieg posted:

poo poo, I forgot about Moonsorrow! Yea, I have a couple of their albums and I will absolutely check more out.

Their sound changes quite radically from album to album. Which ones do you have?

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
By the way, thanks for all the ambient black metal suggestions.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Plasma1010 posted:

It was suggested in GBS I post here as well ...

I have a Black Metal project in which we just released a Demo which I would like to share with you Black Metal fans ...

The name of the Demo is Winter Twilight ...

Evighet
We are two guys from NY who recorded the entire album ourselves from our houses / basements. We have decided from day one we will never step into a studio and never have another person step into the creation of our sound. It is just us two recording what we like in our underground Black Metal style. We go as follows ...

Aziekion - Guitars, Bass

Taiga (Myself) - Vocals, Synthesizer, Drums

We do not know much about making our music available through Torrent Programs / Download Programs, etc. however so far the forums have helped make the Demo available with .MP3 and Album Artwork on ...

http://images.bureau42.com/sa/audio/Winter_Twilight.zip
http://www.mediafire.com/?1ynycmz0tqt
http://www.last.fm/music/Evighet
http://rapidshare.com/files/292537668/Winter_Twilight.zip

If anyone knows how to spread the availability of it online for Downloading to the public feel free to do so. We fully support free music and wouldn't mind it being spread as much as possible.

We are currently working on an Album however we are not sure of the completion time as I will be doing Drums and Vocals abroad and Aziekion is currently upgrading his Guitar Cabinet, which appears to be quite a process and very tedious. One difference for the album will be that we are going to be 90% Analog as opposed to some of the Plug-Ins we used for the Demo. We want to be in the realm of Basement-Analog by the time the album is complete.

We recorded the Demo in Sonar 7. We have just switched to Saw Studio. Saw Studio is the only program on the market right now which can record at 64 bit. It looks terrible but it sounds terrific. Those are basically the only changes, which should be for the better.

The drums were recorded in my basement with Microphones hanging from the ceiling and echoing all throughout the concrete. I couldn't be happier with it's sound.

I am actually not to sure what Aziekion's influences completely are. I know he is influenced by Immortal and Dark Funeral. He has been on guitar for 14 years. I drew my influences mostly from Dimmu Borgir - For All Tid and Gorgoroth - Destroyer.

If you like us we currently only have information available through ...

https://www.myspace.com/EvighetBlackMetal

This album is heavy so you Black Metal fans might enjoy.

A few pages late, but I want to give feedback as well. I love everything so far (only listened to Into the Boreal Forest and The Black Death), and I know you said you were a drummer, but I really think the drums are hindering it a bit. I mean it sounds like someone who is just started to learn drums and they don't really hit with power or precision. I don't know how to describe it better than that, but keep up practicing, and keep up the good work man. This has a lot of potential.

I know it's a rough mix, but maybe increase the drums a bit? Black metal really requires drums to be clearly heard for the most part, especially when going fast.

Bubble Bathory
Apr 22, 2008

HELLO, YES, THIS IS BUBBLE BATHORY. LOOKS LIKE WE'VE GOT A BADASS OVER HERE WHO CAN'T STOP POSTING ABOUT HOW MUCH HE LOVES MEMES.

THAT'S THE JOKE.
Listening to new Nazxul and :monocle:.
Oh, and Plasma, good stuff dude. Definitely keep it up.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Latis posted:

I know it's a rough mix, but maybe increase the drums a bit? Black metal really requires drums to be clearly heard for the most part, especially when going fast.

Does it? You just praised Darkspace, and I'd be hard pressed to hear any individual drums aside from the occasional snare rattle from the onslaught.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Kaiho posted:

You just praised Darkspace,

Case in point, percussionless black metal is tedious as hell.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Kaiho posted:

Does it? You just praised Darkspace, and I'd be hard pressed to hear any individual drums aside from the occasional snare rattle from the onslaught.

I absolutely disagree with Monky from KORN, but anyways, the point I want to make here is that his band isn't going for an ambient black metal feel like Darkspace is. IIRC, they are rather going for something like the For All Tid album.

Drums present yet barely heard in black metal is meh. Black metal without the signature drums at all is ambient...I guess?

Stay Safe fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Dec 5, 2009

Bobulot
May 7, 2007

Latis posted:

...I mean it sounds like someone who is just started to learn drums and they don't really hit with power or precision...
Easy to miss but he posted that he's been playing since April. I'm assuming what with the mixing and so forth he was probably only playing for like 4 or 5 months before they started recording (correct me if I'm wrong Plasma1010). Drumming and vocals, not unlike a grim and frostbitten Don Henley.

EDIT: I read your post wrong, you knew this, woops

Bobulot fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 6, 2009

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, I knew it, the reason I said it is because he's good and should get away from the "I'm new at drums" sound. Which takes patience and practice.

Once this is done they'll probably have a deal anyways

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

Bobulot posted:

Easy to miss but he posted that he's been playing since April.

You are correct.

Latis posted:

and I know you said you were a drummer, but I really think the drums are hindering it a bit. I mean it

Thanks well I am glad you enjoy it ... however I think I was distinct in many posts of the fact that I am actually not a drummer and picked up drums like 8 months ago only for the purpose of the album. I am 'the drummer' but I sure am not a drummer and in fact don't really care much about drumming or 'how drumming works' except for forming my own unintelligent style by listening to the sounds and going with what I think sounds good.

Latis posted:

Eurovision sucks. Lordi was awesome though. I never even heard of it until Lordi was in it then I was like wow this could be cool. Listened to everyone elses stuff and it sucked. Its like music for yuppies.

stairway to hippo posted:

This is really cool. It has a very evil vibe. Post the Demo - Album here when it is done.

Plasma1010 fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 7, 2009

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Plasma1010 posted:

Eurovision sucks. Lordi was awesome though. I never even heard of it until Lordi was in it then I was like wow this could be cool. Listened to everyone elses stuff and it sucked. It like music for yuppies.

It's about as far from black metal as you can get, but Ireland loves to troll the poo poo out of Eurovision and it's loving hilarious: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n--JnAwirk

Dr. Video Games 0041
Sep 15, 2007

He's watching you!
Anyone whos interested in a bit of Marduk, the DNA lounge is broadcasting the show tonight. A few bands have played already, but their in soundcheck right now for whoevers next.

http://www.justin.tv/dnalounge

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0041 posted:

Anyone whos interested in a bit of Marduk, the DNA lounge is broadcasting the show tonight. A few bands have played already, but their in soundcheck right now for whoevers next.

http://www.justin.tv/dnalounge

It's currently Nachtmysticum.

And wow does that lead singer need to work out.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I've noticed the crowd got wilder as each band played

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Latis posted:

I've noticed the crowd got wilder as each band played

"Oh. A band I actually recognize. Time to stop snorting drugs off a bum's tit in the Tenderloin, and go in and enjoy the show."

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

And Marduk is on! :toot:

(If you miss this thrilling show, the DNA Lounge keeps audio recordings of all their shows for two weeks.)

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Plasma1010 posted:

Eurovision sucks.

Well, the Eurovision song contest is like this -- it started as a serious, mainstream popular-music contest in the 1950s. Then it gradually grew increasingly camp and disconnected (especially during the last 20 years). These days most of those folks who watch it do so ironically, for the kitsch appeal (it's also a major attraction for the gay community, or at least those parts of the gay community who choose to revel in the camp stereotype). I know quite a few people who essentially use the broadcast as the focus of a party where they get drunk and try to insult everyone who appears on-screen.

Then they let in all those ex-East Bloc countries, and they seem to take it more seriously than everyone else (as their taste in music is famously horrible).

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Qu Appelle posted:

And Marduk is on! :toot:

(If you miss this thrilling show, the DNA Lounge keeps audio recordings of all their shows for two weeks.)

I am watching burly roadies pack up the gear with no sound. This is surreal.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

Kaiho posted:

I am watching burly roadies pack up the gear with no sound. This is surreal.

I just saw a blinking ATM machine and an empty bar. I couldnt ask for more in a video feed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
edit- fixed...

Crosspost with the black metal thread

A little background info, from the Evighet thread in GBS:

Mudflap McDirt posted:

I'm currently recording a new album for my black metal project. There isn't many good black metal here in Russia, but I'm hoping my music can stand up. Thanks to the OP I'll probably post it here when it's finished.

:black101:

Sjurygg posted:

I'd loving love to hear more metal from Russian about Baba Yaga eating young virgins and flaming knights bringing the dawn through the woods :black101:

Russian mythology loving rocks.

Mudflap McDirt posted:

Only for you, I am now writing a song about this very subject. It will be dedicated to all goons.

So, with that, I wrote and recorded a song about Baba Yaga.

Ensrug - "Vuki ot lesa" (Wolves from the Woods)

Ensrug on Myspace

I think you can download from Tindeck... have the mp3, enjoy it, it's for you goons anyway, no one else.

Like I said, I am working on a full length recording now (and I think the songs are higher quality than this one - I spent maybe a day on Vuki ot lesa), which I will probably leak via SA when it's done. This song was mostly for me to learn digital recording techniques, since I am completely used to analog machines. Ensrug has been around for a while, but I am just now introducing it to the internet.

Enjoy the metal.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 9, 2009