Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Interesting discovery for today: tree armatures (like from Woodland Scenics) can make for pretty good antlers for a Grudge Pony.

Now to make little stockings to be hung with care from the Shrine of Mork, in hope that Thane Nicholas soon will be there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Where are you guys getting trees to make terrain for WH40K?

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Iron Squid posted:

http://www.one-ring.co.uk/phpBB2/kb.php?mode=article&k=213

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

Iron Squid posted:

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/234721.page

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Iron Squid posted:

http://www.one-ring.co.uk/phpBB2/kb.php?mode=article&k=174

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

This one is great!

You could try looking at plastic aquarium plants for jungle foliage too. Big bag of em are just $10. Just cut em up and throw them on a base. Let me know if it works...

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

Yog-Sothoth is the key and the guardian of the gate
More in progress doomwheel pics, better camera this time

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Not a great sculpt, but adding on some green stuffed hair goes a loooong way towards making it a lesbian knight. And it's in full armor, though the armor lacks realism.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Jonny Nox posted:

This one is great!

You could try looking at plastic aquarium plants for jungle foliage too. Big bag of em are just $10. Just cut em up and throw them on a base. Let me know if it works...

I've gotten as far as drying out a bunch of grape stems and buying some clump foliage from Hobby Lobby. I just need to get some bases/washers for the individual trees and something to base them on.

Is there a place where I can get some precut pieces of MDF board? Like 1' x 1' squares or circles or something.

[edit] Here's a little face tutorial I found on From the Warp:

Click here for the full 800x343 image.

1. Prime. I did this one in black like I did the others for consistency.
2. Basecoat with the light grey. You want a nice, smooth and consistent finish with this coat.
3. Liberal wash with undiluted Ogryn Flesh over the face.
4. Go back with the grey and pick out the raised areas of the face.
5. Slightly thinned (50/50) wash with Devlan Mud over the face.
6. Go back with the grey and pick out the highlights.

Aranan fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Dec 2, 2009

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Not a great sculpt, but adding on some green stuffed hair goes a loooong way towards making it a lesbian knight. And it's in full armor, though the armor lacks realism.

Warseer? Dakka? This post doesn't even make sense, why would someone need a lesbian knight?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
The person didn't even request a lesbian knight.

Aranan posted:

Is there a place where I can get some precut pieces of MDF board? Like 1' x 1' squares or circles or something.

Go to a hardware store and have them cut up a piece of 8'x10'x1/8" hardboard into 1x1 squares. It's like 10 bucks for the whole piece.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

MasterSlowPoke posted:

What a coincidence - I was practicing some painting techniques on some of the gnolls from the Chainmail starter set which includes that knight. I thought that knight's face was so terrible that I didn't even bother assembling it for a practice piece.

LewdMonocle
Mar 8, 2007

Len posted:

Once I get the money for paints I'm going to probably be testing out my hand on these before moving to my Warmachine poo poo. loving Mongoose publishing shutting down the game before I ever got to actually use my army anywhere.

Rumor I heard was that TriStar pulled the license out from under them.

I picked up some Future floor wax. As I understand it, a little to thin and a lot to wash?

Also. Has anyone ever tried motorizing their tanks? Found this kit at Tamiya, got me thinking..

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

LewdMonocle posted:

Rumor I heard was that TriStar pulled the license out from under them.

I picked up some Future floor wax. As I understand it, a little to thin and a lot to wash?

Also. Has anyone ever tried motorizing their tanks? Found this kit at Tamiya, got me thinking..

No. You probably don't want to use FFW to thin paints, just use water for that. For a wash, 1:1 is probably more than enough unless you are doing something whacky that requires super thing coats.

It will make things look glossy.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

LewdMonocle posted:

Warseer has quite a few projects where people have done this, so if you search there you'll probably find some tips. There's a remote control superheavy out there with moving turrets and a motor too.

LewdMonocle
Mar 8, 2007
Thanks. I'll stick to water.

But I found this millipede pattern that I would like to reproduce:

Click here for the full 432x560 image.

Would I wax my paints or just cover the finished model in a glossy varnish?

Danger - Octopus! posted:

moving turrets

Oh wow! I'll have to check that out.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
^^ If you want your mini to be highly reflective/shiny, then you'll want to hit it with a gloss varnish. I think FFW can be used as a varnish like that, but check out the link below to find out. Otherwise, if you want the whole model to have that finish, you can hit the whole thing with a spray of gloss varnish. If you just want the chitin plates to have the gloss finish, get some of the gloss that you apply by brush.

Everything you've ever wanted to know about Future Floor Wax.

Aranan fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 2, 2009

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
'Ardcoat Gloss might work for that. I slapped some on the Termagant I posted a few pages back, which has a carapace in almost those exact colors, and it looks about as glossy as that. I'm not entirely pleased with it because it's very, very glossy and doesn't look as organic as I'd like, but that might be what you're looking for.

Sidenote: Anyone have a link to a good pinning tutorial and a list of quality pinning-related products? Judging by the pictures of the new Tyranid models, I'm going to be doing a lot of loving pinning.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Nearly had heart failure last night when I was sealing my looted wagon. I thought the gloss or dullcote had skunked and was gonna ruin the whole thing. Luckily a couple more coats of dullcote seemed to make things right. But still, goddamn. What a way to ruin a model after all that work.

(Insert pic of my first Vindicator here :( )

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
If the matte skunks, gloss it and then matte it again

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Gonna start coating my stuff. Future works through an airbrush straight from the bottle right? Or I could thin it with some iso alcohol to matte it right?

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
^^^
From that page I linked like 3 posts ago:

quote:

It is not necessary to thin this product prior to use. It can be applied directly from the bottle by either paintbrush or airbrush (15 to 20 psi), clean up with an ammonia-based window cleaner like Windex

Kestral posted:

pinning pinning pinning
http://archive.brushthralls.com/modelling/pinning.html
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/239928.page

I use the Citadel Hobby Drill, but that's certainly not the only (or probably best) option. In fact, it looks like PP sells a similar drill that comes with a bunch of brass rod that matches the drill bits for less than what GW asks.

You can use a bunch of different stuff for pinning materials. Brass rod, paperclips, floral wire, steel wire, etc. I know I'm a P3 whore, but they also sell little packs of brass rod and matching drill bits so you don't have to search for the perfect sized paperclip.

Aranan fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 2, 2009

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
I was looking at some of Les's Awesomepaintjob videos and in one of them he busted out some dry pigments with rubbing alcohol for rust and weathering effects. His comments mention 90% isopropyl alcohol but all I can find in my area is 70% isopropyl alcohol. Does anyone have any idea what difference that would make?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Aranan posted:

^^^
From that page I linked like 3 posts ago:

Yeah I know was just checking

Captain Scurvy
May 29, 2009

crime fighting hog posted:

Gonna start coating my stuff. Future works through an airbrush straight from the bottle right? Or I could thin it with some iso alcohol to matte it right?

can always get the testors stuff in spray can, works pretty well.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Captain Scurvy posted:

can always get the testors stuff in spray can, works pretty well.

True, except for it comes in teeny tiny cans (that I can find) or I could buy one bottle of future and use that very nice airbrush I have and do my entire army and my friends in a few settings.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Future smells delicious, your army will smell delicious

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

PaintVagrant posted:

Future smells delicious, your army will smell delicious

If I had the sense of smell I would probably agree.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

If I had the sense of smell I would probably agree.
Taste it.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

!amicable posted:

Taste it.

If it tastes salty, you have cancer. Sorry.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Fyrbrand posted:

If it tastes salty, you have cancer. Sorry.

That's what she said.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

!amicable posted:

Taste it.

Can't really do that either. No sense of smell means my sense of taste is pretty much non existent. Which is why priming stuff all day never bothers me.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Can't really do that either. No sense of smell means my sense of taste is pretty much non existent. Which is why priming stuff all day never bothers me.

Bathe in it.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

!amicable posted:

Bathe in it.

bingo

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.
Anybody know of a good place to buy dropper bottles? I'm sick of fishing paint out of GW pots.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

FirstCongoWar posted:

Anybody know of a good place to buy dropper bottles? I'm sick of fishing paint out of GW pots.

You can order them from warstore if you check their painting section.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Make someone else taste/smell/bathe in it. Duh.

Also, if you get dropper bottles from Reaper (via the warstore) then they come with tiny pewter skulls to use as agitators. :)

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

The Saddest Robot posted:

I was looking at some of Les's Awesomepaintjob videos and in one of them he busted out some dry pigments with rubbing alcohol for rust and weathering effects. His comments mention 90% isopropyl alcohol but all I can find in my area is 70% isopropyl alcohol. Does anyone have any idea what difference that would make?

I imagine it means that it will take longer to dry up, and might cause some stuff to get runny or clump more. Try a walgreens or CVS (if you are in the states, that is), the isopropyl alcohol I got there is 91%.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Looks like Leonardo DiCaprio.
On other news, you can get dropper bottles from any art and craft supply store (Michael's, Hobby Lobby, etc) near their paints, usually in the same isle. If you mean the eye dropper kind of dropper bottles, try an iodine bottle. I have no idea how much iodine costs, but I don't imagine it would be so expensive that you couldn't buy it for just the bottle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

Yog-Sothoth is the key and the guardian of the gate
Wrapped up the doomwheel except for some grass on the base when it dries and a little decoration on the pennant maybe

• Locked thread