Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Yog-Sothoth posted:

Care to share your recipe for yellow cloth? Also what color primer did you use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.
Is that another dude on the back?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Yellow skaven are the best skaven :3:

(another vote to do the base)

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Ages ago, someone posted the name of a brush cleaner that worked wonders for their W&Ns. My go-to brush has some annoying paint up in the ferrule that's causing some splitting issues and slowing me down. Can someone recall what it was?

LewdMonocle
Mar 8, 2007
^^Are you thinking of B&J Brush Cleaner and Preserver?

Your hamster wheel looks great.
OCD question: Are you going to pick out the details of the rivets?

FirstCongoWar posted:

Anybody know of a good place to buy dropper bottles? I'm sick of fishing paint out of GW pots.
3rding Reaper. Make sure its the "master" series bottles. The 1/2 ounce bottle is roughly a 12ml pot of GW paint.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Has Reaper dealt with the awful batch consistency issues that the master series stuff had when it first came out? It'd be nice if they managed that, because when they weren't unusable poo poo, they were really good.

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

Yog-Sothoth is the key and the guardian of the gate
Yeah I'm going to pick out the rivets, do a little edge highlighting and finish the base after tonight, got a game on probably vs empire or vampires tonight so I'll do all the little final touches tomorrow before I start up the bell. Yes thats another dude on the back, and the cloth is just white primer -> golden yellow -> sepia wash -> another touchup of golden yellow. The pilot looks dirtier than the back crewman because i'd washed that entire section with badab black before painting but I'll be avoiding that in the future, as going right over the white primer & then washing gives a much more vibrant but still sorta sickly dark skavenish yellow :)

LewdMonocle
Mar 8, 2007
I'm using reaper right now. Not that happy with the stuff. Maybe I'm not shaking the bottle enough?

Here is my second attempt. I gave him a wash of black then tried using stippling.

Thought that looked good so I tried three levels of dots on this guy.

Click here for the full 1080x601 image.

Ugly.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

LewdMonocle posted:

I'm using reaper right now. Not that happy with the stuff. Maybe I'm not shaking the bottle enough?

Here is my second attempt. I gave him a wash of black then tried using stippling.

Thought that looked good so I tried three levels of dots on this guy.

Click here for the full 1080x601 image.

Ugly.
That looks pretty awesome, the second one looks better in my opinion, but he still needs some more definition on the carapace before you go to town with the stippling on his carapace. Maybe you can hit him with a wash to tone down the dots if you don't like them.

A Powerful Cream
Jun 25, 2009

get ready to read some badposts b*tch!! - fdr to hitler, 1972

|
|
|
|
|
V

Still WIP in that I'm waiting for the multi-melta and maybe a base (might have to make this myself) to arrive from the man formerly known as A Gross Bug.

It is a bit clumpy since I didn't strip it but nothing too bad in my opinion and it isn't exactly a centerpiece model anyway, I'm reasonably pleased with how it came out.

I feel like I should be putting a sun embelem on the vehicle somewhere but there isn't really an area I can think of other than the shoulders of the marines.

C&C? :ohdear:

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

A Powerful Cream posted:

I feel like I should be putting a sun embelem on the vehicle somewhere but there isn't really an area I can think of other than the shoulders of the marines.

C&C? :ohdear:

...seriously?

How about the nose of the thing? It might be a bit crowded with the eagle there already, but that's where I would try. Or a fin, the only issue is that you are going to deal with the groove on there.

Looks pretty decent though, a bit clumpy. You can probably go over the areas that look bumpy with another layer of paint; it looks like you washed it and washes usually bring out awkward texture. You can cover it up with some flat color though.

On a side note: I hate (assembling) this model and I hate flying bases.

A Powerful Cream
Jun 25, 2009

get ready to read some badposts b*tch!! - fdr to hitler, 1972

!amicable posted:

...seriously?

How about the nose of the thing? It might be a bit crowded with the eagle there already, but that's where I would try. Or a fin, the only issue is that you are going to deal with the groove on there.

I generally do the sun on a yellow area so I might throw it on one of the fins, I just wish I could put it somewhere symmetrical to satisfy my sudden OCD.

!amicable posted:

On a side note: I hate (assembling) this model and I hate flying bases.

This landspeeder has the hole for the flying base completely filled in with super glue :cry:

Thanks for the rest of the advice!

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

A Powerful Cream posted:

I generally do the sun on a yellow area so I might throw it on one of the fins, I just wish I could put it somewhere symmetrical to satisfy my sudden OCD.

This landspeeder has the hole for the flying base completely filled in with super glue :cry:

Thanks for the rest of the advice!

It's not symmetrical on the marines though, only their left pad has it. By that reasoning only the left fin should have it.

Just sayin'.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

KingMob posted:

Ages ago, someone posted the name of a brush cleaner that worked wonders for their W&Ns. My go-to brush has some annoying paint up in the ferrule that's causing some splitting issues and slowing me down. Can someone recall what it was?

Was it one of these?
The Masters Brush Cleaner
Pink Soap

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego

Aranan posted:

Was it one of these?
The Masters Brush Cleaner
Pink Soap

Yep, it was The Masters. Thanks! Now my preciouses(?) will live on.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
I've been poking around on google but haven't found anything stellar.

Does anyone have any good links for or experience with making water bases?

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Nebalebadingdong posted:

I've been poking around on google but haven't found anything stellar.

Does anyone have any good links for or experience with making water bases?

You lazy oval office. Seriously.

Captain Scurvy
May 29, 2009
HAHA best reply evar! also i know this is the painting thread but i wanna post up a pic of my conversion i stole from GW and ask for idea's on how to make the base im thinking of.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

painting/sculpting/modelling

:clint:

LewdMonocle
Mar 8, 2007

!amicable posted:

That looks pretty awesome, the second one looks better in my opinion, but he still needs some more definition on the carapace before you go to town with the stippling on his carapace. Maybe you can hit him with a wash to tone down the dots if you don't like them.

Thanks mang.

Taking your advice;I washed it with devlan mud, drybrushed a dark gray over the carapace/edges, and stippled it with brighter colors.

Click here for the full 1000x801 image.

I'd really like to hear how you or anybody else would go about painting this.

Also. Watching disc2 of SST. :swoon:

Looks like I'm done stippling- thank god.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
So, there's an actual Blick art store nearby me that I recently learned about! I want to go, but I also want to come up with a shopping list of stuff that I want to keep an eye out for when going there so I don't walk away with the wrong stuff and an empty wallet.

* Winsor & Newton Series 7 Brushes - Size 0
* Some cheaper brushes suitable for drybrushing
* Master's Brush Cleaner
* Some kind of porcelain palette?

I'm not sure if I'm missing anything here. I want to go pick everything up in one go instead of making multiple trips!

Going to try and do the highlighting and such on that WIP Man-o-War that I posted a little while ago. My P3 hobby kit just came in and I finished going through the DVD, which was very educational! Reading how-tos and stuff is good but really seeing the basics put together in a professionally done video really help me to understand the stuff.

Also, I need to go find some blue-tac now.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Some dudes for my rat horde.

I'm planning on basing my whole army when I've at least muscled through the battalion box, so don't scream at me for it. But any other commentary is welcome.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

aldantefax posted:

So, there's an actual Blick art store nearby me that I recently learned about! I want to go, but I also want to come up with a shopping list of stuff that I want to keep an eye out for when going there so I don't walk away with the wrong stuff and an empty wallet.

* Some cheaper brushes suitable for drybrushing
* Master's Brush Cleaner

I'm not sure if I'm missing anything here. I want to go pick everything up in one go instead of making multiple trips!

Going to try and do the highlighting and such on that WIP Man-o-War that I posted a little while ago. My P3 hobby kit just came in and I finished going through the DVD, which was very educational! Reading how-tos and stuff is good but really seeing the basics put together in a professionally done video really help me to understand the stuff.

Also, I need to go find some blue-tac now.

If you're buying W&Ns, pick up at least one size 1, the 0s are tiny and barely hold any paint. Great for details, though. Having an assortment of cheaper brushes around is nice, in general. Keeps you from loving up your nice ones with metallics, if nothing else. Blick usually carries some bargain-priced variety packs.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Yog-Sothoth posted:

Wrapped up the doomwheel except for some grass on the base when it dries and a little decoration on the pennant maybe

I love this, the yellow really does it for me. You really need to do the base though.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

PaintVagrant posted:

painting/sculpting/modelling

:clint:
It's not spelled right now matter how many times you bold it or put it in the title.

:clint::hf::eng101:

[edit] That's the last time I trust Firefox's spellcheck. :(

aldantefax posted:

If you just get one brush, I'd probably suggest a size 1. It will hold more paint and the W&N's hold a point pretty drat nicely, so you still get the precision.

The palette is up to you. You can get cheapo plastic dimple palettes for less than a buck, or a ceramic palette for a few dollars, or just use paper plates and/or bathroom tiles. Or you could buy/make a wet palette.

Aranan fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 5, 2009

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&defl=en&q=define:modelling&ei=2MMZS5P-Ds6InQfRgvjWAw&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title&ved=0CAcQkAE

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

Based by popular demand

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Yog-Sothoth posted:

Based by popular demand

That looks hella awesome! :)

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

Warpfire thrower team, wish I could work my little camera better, even in macro mode it refuses to focus right close up, but i see it go past the perfect focal length and refuse to stop, doesnt seem like i can cantrol it manually without zooming. Have to break out the big one that works better for miniatures next time

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
That based doomwheel looks great! Ditto with the warpfire thrower team. I'm digging the yellows you're using on the rats.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
I'm not trying to criticize this hobby at all, but why don't you guys make your own paints and brushes? Why spend money on them? Are you guys gay or what?

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Yog-Sothoth posted:

Warpfire thrower team, wish I could work my little camera better, even in macro mode it refuses to focus right close up, but i see it go past the perfect focal length and refuse to stop, doesnt seem like i can cantrol it manually without zooming. Have to break out the big one that works better for miniatures next time

What kind of camera + lens are you using?

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
This guy did these models with drybrushing and washes. Color me impressed (:downsrim:).

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Have any of you used Army Painter Desert Yellow or Daemonic Yellow spray primer? If so, how close are they to Citadel Bubonic Brown or VMC Plague Brown? My nids have a Bubonic Brown basecoat which, despite the name, is essentially the same dirty yellow as Yog-Sothoth's doomwheel banner, and I'd love to be able to spray that on.

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

Kestral posted:

Have any of you used Army Painter Desert Yellow or Daemonic Yellow spray primer? If so, how close are they to Citadel Bubonic Brown or VMC Plague Brown? My nids have a Bubonic Brown basecoat which, despite the name, is essentially the same dirty yellow as Yog-Sothoth's doomwheel banner, and I'd love to be able to spray that on.

I've used desert yellow which is very close to bubonic brown, can't speak on demonic yellow

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
What colors do you guys like for the guns on WH40K orks? I saw something that was a Tin Bitz with a Boltgun drybrush over it, which I thought looked alright.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
Which group of orks?

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Which group of orks?

The Ork Boyz from the Assault on Black Reach set.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
I mean which clan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

Aranan posted:

This guy did these models with drybrushing and washes. Color me impressed (:downsrim:).

Those are really nice actually. The thing I like most is the dude has painted a 180° facing line on the bases.

• Locked thread