Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I would have liked a picture of picking flowers with a pickaxe (if it wasn't for the challenge rules).

I found this interesting article on audio Feng Shui. Why spend thousands on audio equipment when you can tape 5 cent pieces to your cables?
http://www.1388.com/articles/martinhome-eng/index.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stares At Floor
Mar 4, 2007
I wasn't being pedantic. It was a (admittedly poor) attempt at some fun with the multiple meanings of words. Anyway, someone already completed one of the challenges before I saw it so according to your rules I lost and you may as well ban me now. However I'll still make a video of people tossing guitar picks at me, that might be fun!

Oh, mod person, what will ever satiate your wrath?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I recommend posting a link to your suggested degrading video immediately.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Even ignoring the engrish this is absolutely mental.

Feng-Shui master posted:

The top of the rack where the television set is sitting on has a 1cm width grove along the edge. I chose two identical marble balls and placed them at the rear corner sitting firmly in the groove. Immediately the soundstage extended much further back and there were much more layering.
Mmmm layering up that sound stage.

Feng-Shui master posted:

I told Martin the weak point of his whole system is his power amplifier; just place the [small jade] ring on top of the power amplifier, right at the center. Bingo! This is like icing on the cake; the jade ring brought out the musicality and finer details of the system and made the whole system sounded even more elegant and full of life.
I should pick up that challenge from earlier in the thread about trolling audiophile forums with insane suggestions to improve sound quality, but instead somehow turn it into a discussion about the effectiveness of the placebo effect.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

timb posted:

Here I am picking which shirt to wear.

Here I am picking my nose!

Here I am picking a lovely flower. :3:

Here I am picking some rocks, like some sort of convict on a chain gang!

Here I am air picking my mother loving air guitar like some sort of air rockstar! :black101:

Originally I intended for this to be all one picture, but since my original wording was unclear, I'll allow it. Awesome job! Would you like a new title or something for kicking rear end?

:siren: BONUS MERCY ROUND: Stares At Floor, you still have 12 hours to save yourself! I know that wasn't in the rules, but you doing something sounds like more fun than you not doing something, so if you do a good job I will spare your life!

King Hotpants fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Dec 1, 2009

Stares At Floor
Mar 4, 2007
Ok, I'll do the video now. I don't have anyone handy to throw picks at me, so I'll throw them at myself and then comment on each one. brb

edit - Video uploading now to tiny pic.

edit - ok Here 'tis. I hope this has addressed your aforementioned wrath in a satisfactory manner.

Stares At Floor fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 1, 2009

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
Time has expired. timb, if there are any forum upgrades you are lacking, I'll give you a free one in exchange for your hilarious hard work.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Stares At Floor posted:

Ok, I'll do the video now. I don't have anyone handy to throw picks at me, so I'll throw them at myself and then comment on each one. brb

edit - Video uploading now to tiny pic.

edit - ok Here 'tis. I hope this has addressed your aforementioned wrath in a satisfactory manner.

This is the second most degrading thing that I've seen someone do to avoid a ban.

Your room needs audio Feng Shui.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

King Hotpants posted:

Time has expired. timb, if there are any forum upgrades you are lacking, I'll give you a free one in exchange for your hilarious hard work.

Thanks! I'm all upgraded, however I would like to get an custom title for someone else. Can I PM you the details?

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
Please do.

proudfoot
Jul 17, 2006
Yak! Look! a Yak!
Talking about Coaxial/Optical cables for transporting digital audio.

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=72096

kama posted:

It depends on the make, the difference can be subtle or drastic on coax.
For optical, all plastic type were universally awfuel. Silica bundled connector (still plastic ) one better but not by much. Several glass toslinks sounded remarkably similar no matter what make so far.

For the USB, the length matter, too. ( shorter the better )

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

proudfoot posted:

Talking about Coaxial/Optical cables for transporting digital audio.

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=72096

That link is like looking into an alternate reality.

quote:

3. Longer is better....a 20 ft length always sounds better than a 4 foot length.

The internet is better quality where I am because the signal travels further.

proudfoot
Jul 17, 2006
Yak! Look! a Yak!
Noise Harvester!

Takes the noise out of your power, and blinks.

quote:

Here’s the dirty little secret none of our competitors want you to know. ALL power line filters - regardless of design – do not actually eliminate noise from the power line. Instead, they only shift the noise around from one place to another! So noise that comes in the hot side of the line may be sent over to the neutral or ground side. But it most certainly is NOT removed or reduced. Even so, there is nearly always SOME benefit. Just not all you paid for. Physics 101 Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. Unless we choose to ignore it, we only have two choices: It can be rerouted or it can be converted to another form of energy. It cannot be destroyed as some marketing materials might suggest. So let’s assume we definitely want to eliminate the noise, not just hide it somewhere where it can still cause trouble.

Read more: PS Audio Noise harvester Does it Work?? - Home Theater Systems - Electronics and Forum - HomeTheaterShack http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/remotes-cables-accessories-tweaks/596-ps-audio-noise-harvester-does-work.html#ixzz0YepuIgXq
http://www.psaudio.com/ps/products/detail/noise-harvester?cat=cables-accessories

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Every audiophile has never taken a physics/chemistry class outside of high school.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

proudfoot posted:

Noise Harvester!

Takes the noise out of your power, and blinks.

http://www.psaudio.com/ps/products/detail/noise-harvester?cat=cables-accessories

I always wanted to pay $100 for a night light.

e: Any reference to (verb) soundstage is starting to piss me off. However, I'm not sure what this guy was actually up to :goatse:

quote:

After Big L running around the house putting Harvester in and out in and out.....we couldn't believe it. The harvesters made a significant positive improvement in opening up the soundstage and smoothening up the mids and highs, and this was on two seperate speaker systems in two different rooms using a Rega Apollo CD player and a newly refurbished Threshold amp.

Someone needs to write the audiophile gibberish dictionary. I also read the above as smoothing up my thighs.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 3, 2009

Thenipwax
Jun 20, 2001

by Ozmaugh

Devian666 posted:

I always wanted to pay $100 for a night light.

Did you see the comment from the guy that claims it not only helped his audio sound better, but it improved the colors on his plasma tv?

What the gently caress is wrong with people?!?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Thenipwax posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with people?!?
Cognitive dissonance and the "Initation effect" combine into an unstoppable cloud of post-hoc justification. "This thing was really expensive, people on the internet say it's great and I don't want to admit I got suckered" can really be enough to change your perception of things.

proudfoot
Jul 17, 2006
Yak! Look! a Yak!

qirex posted:

Cognitive dissonance and the "Initation effect" combine into an unstoppable cloud of post-hoc justification. "This thing was really expensive, people on the internet say it's great and I don't want to admit I got suckered" can really be enough to change your perception of things.

I'm really confused by all the people who buy these products - what compels them to do so in the first place?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
They want to remove noise that they didn't know they had from their stereo system. For the $399 they are paying for a 5-pack of flashing lights they could have bought a UPS for their stereo that gives them noise free AC power.

I'm just about at tipping point of making my own religion. I'd call it Audiology. It would enable me to extort members lest I let the magic smoke out of their stereo and plasma tv.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Devian666 posted:

For the $399 they are paying for a 5-pack of flashing lights they could have bought a UPS for their stereo that gives them noise free AC power.

UPS units do not act as "filters" if they were charging/draining the battery constantly they'd only last a couple weeks, they're normal surge protectors unless there's a failure.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

UPS units do not act as "filters" if they were charging/draining the battery constantly they'd only last a couple weeks, they're normal surge protectors unless there's a failure.

Look at Double Conversion on Demand.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninterruptible_power_supply#Double-conversion_.2F_online

quote:

In double conversion mode the UPS can adjust for voltage variations without having to use battery power, can filter out line noise and control frequency.

This feature is only present in high quality UPS.

proudfoot
Jul 17, 2006
Yak! Look! a Yak!
I wonder how many audiophiles have an UPS system, and if anyone makes an audiophile grade UPS system. If not, this could be a pretty good market for making money.

It would be especially interesting to build something along the lines of a "audiophile grade flywheel UPS" - a giant flywheel with a motor + generator combo for stabilizing power, you could probably make quite a bit of power off that,

proudfoot fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Dec 4, 2009

Spoondrift
Sep 13, 2007

proudfoot posted:

I'm really confused by all the people who buy these products - what compels them to do so in the first place?

My hypothesis is that it's just a desire to continue upgrading. Once you've put a few thousand dollars into source/amp/speakers, upgrading any of those components starts to get seriously expensive, and a $100 night light doesn't seem so bad.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

proudfoot posted:

I wonder how many audiophiles have an UPS system, and if anyone makes an audiophile grade UPS system. If not, this could be a pretty good market for making money.

It would be especially interesting to build something along the lines of a "audiophile grade flywheel UPS" - a giant flywheel with a motor + generator combo for stabilizing power, you could probably make quite a bit of power off that,

Jesus Christ you retard. A MOTOR? Do you have any idea the kind of negative resonances are introduced by a motor? poo poo, the directionality of the electrons will be reversed because of the centripital forces induced by the primary bus-side windings in the rotor which will have a massive effect on the emotion and color of your sound.

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

Intergalactic proton-powered electrical tentacled REFRIGERATOR OF DOOM.

insta posted:

Jesus Christ you retard. A MOTOR? Do you have any idea the kind of negative resonances are introduced by a motor? poo poo, the directionality of the electrons will be reversed because of the centripital forces induced by the primary bus-side windings in the rotor which will have a massive effect on the emotion and color of your sound.

That's why it's imperative that you install electron isolation shields and raise your cables off the ground to avoid unnecessary vibrations from manufacturing impurities in the flywheel brick. In addition, if you don't have a good electrostatic surface lining your flywheel pit, you could wind up with jitter in the power's electron flow.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
poo poo, forget the motor, and just have it powered by an animal (think hamster powered), and sell it as 'organically powered', and it obviously helps your music sound more natural, and in tune with the cosmic rhythms nature.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

blugu64 posted:

poo poo, forget the motor, and just have it powered by an animal (think hamster powered), and sell it as 'organically powered', and it obviously helps your music sound more natural, and in tune with the cosmic rhythms nature.
No, an exotic hardwood crank would work best. You could sell replacement cranks made out of different materials to match the tonality of different genres of music

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I think we could work out a package deal. A tesla coil to trap noise and a loaf of bread to place on top of the centre speaker to give it more punch. How does $25,000 for a loaf of bread with a free Tesla coil of unspecified size sound?

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Devian666 posted:

e: Any reference to (verb) soundstage is starting to piss me off. However, I'm not sure what this guy was actually up to :goatse:

"This product didn't just widen the soundstage, it practically goatse'd it."

Princess
Oct 11, 2009

That's it, man. Game over, man. Game over!

insta posted:

It's a fancy brick of lead designed to stop cosmic particles. Interestingly enough, there is a microscopic iota of truth to this -- cosmic particles do frequently cause tiny blips in digital circuitry (source: http://www.ida.liu.se/~abdmo/SNDFT/docs/ram-soft.html).

Scientists have to crawl deep underground into abandoned iron mines just to get away from cosmic rays (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soudan_Underground_Mine_State_Park#Underground_Laboratory). If only they had known about the Blackbody product. Boy are they going to feel dumb when I tell them about it!

proudfoot
Jul 17, 2006
Yak! Look! a Yak!
Have we ever decided what the term "soundstage" means?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Basically it's how well a system is able to project "where" a particular instrument is. Audiophiles spout that you should be able to pick out where each instrument is and have it be exactly like it was recorded. While that idea works for recordings of classical pieces performed by a symphony, it starts to fall apart for modern rock recordings.

It's a real effect but a lot of it is introduced in the mastering as opposed to "Capturing the original performance." A good sound stage is important but you don't need thousands of dollars of equipment to get one.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Yeah there's a difference between a recording of a concert hall or something with a stereo pair of microphones and something that's just been mixed together (although maybe some engineers have equipment to do a transfer function that fakes it better). Simply making a sound louder on the left channel and quiet on the right is not nearly the same thing.

BUT, as HKR said, this is a function of the recording and any half decent system should let you hear it, as well as almost any headphones. Beyond that it's just another magical 'thing' to make better using quantum beads or whatever.

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

Intergalactic proton-powered electrical tentacled REFRIGERATOR OF DOOM.
Oh. My. God.

"" posted:

The Platinum Starlight HDMI cable employs Wireworld's new, patent-pending DNA Helix conductor design, which uses 24 solid silver conductors -- double that of conventional HDMI designs -- arranged with an innovative symmetrical geometry designed to neutralize impedance variations at every point along the cable's length. These advancements maximize available speed and bandwidth for the signal path while also reducing noise and jitter effects for substantial overall improvements in signal fidelity and dynamic response. The cable is capable of transfer rates of up to 21 Gbits per second, far exceeding the HDMI group's recently announced v1.4 High Speed with Ethernet specification of 10.2 Gbits per second.

Platinum Starlight HDMI cables will be available in February of 2010 in lengths ranging from 0.3 meter to 30 meters. Retail pricing for a 1.0 meter cable is $1,000.

Get the full pitch here.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

quote:

The company has an unmatched reputation for producing superior cables based on the use of objective perceptual testing, innovative patented designs, premium materials, and exceptional manufacturing quality.

Based on the use of objective subjective testing.

Princess
Oct 11, 2009

That's it, man. Game over, man. Game over!

fahrvergnugen posted:

substantial overall improvements in signal fidelity and dynamic response.

Improving my dynamic response from a digital signal? Does it crank all my 0's and 1's to -3's and 6's?

proudfoot
Jul 17, 2006
Yak! Look! a Yak!

Princess posted:

Improving my dynamic response from a digital signal? Does it crank all my 0's and 1's to -3's and 6's?

Audiophile grade 0's and 1's.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

fahrvergnugen posted:

Oh. My. God.

Get the full pitch here.

I like how there's a bit of carbon fiber in the cable's head.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shadowhand00 posted:

I like how there's a bit of carbon fiber in the cable's head.

they use carbon fiber in jet fighters and formula 1 aircraft it offers unparalleled strength-to-weight of course it belongs on a high end video cable

e: I wonder if these companies are pissed about HDMI because they'll be selling fewer cables overall, a DVD player used to require a component cable and optical or coax for audio. They're probably not easy to slap together by hand like coax either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

qirex posted:

they use carbon fiber in jet fighters and formula 1 aircraft it offers unparalleled strength-to-weight of course it belongs on a high end video cable

e: I wonder if these companies are pissed about HDMI because they'll be selling fewer cables overall, a DVD player used to require a component cable and optical or coax for audio. They're probably not easy to slap together by hand like coax either.

Doubt they're too angry. I'm pretty sure they can still convince audiophiles that HDMI doesn't accurately transport sound and that they need to use toslink instead. Then again, can you goldplate a toslink connector? Goldplating seems to be very important to these people.