Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Zarkov Cortez posted:

I mean which clan

Not really sure yet.

I guess I should clear up my question. I was wondering how to make the metal of the guns look the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Boltgun Metal, Badab Black, broad highlight with boltgun, very tippy edge narrow highlight of Mithril Silver

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Somebody post some good kroot, I'm having trouble deciding how to do the skin tone on this one I've got on my desk

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Is there some kinda requirement that all online "tutorials" feature models shot with a blurry cell pic, and the model itself almost completely in shadows?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Iron Squid posted:

Is there some kinda requirement that all online "tutorials" feature models shot with a blurry cell pic, and the model itself almost completely in shadows?

What would you like to know? If nobody will give you advice, I will.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Broken Loose posted:

Somebody post some good kroot, I'm having trouble deciding how to do the skin tone on this one I've got on my desk

My pictures suck but a fast and easy way is half the yellow foundation/half knarloc green foundation for skin, bestial brown for the leather and wash all that poo poo devlan. Looks pretty decent and takes 20 minutes to do an entire squad.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

crime fighting hog posted:

My pictures suck but a fast and easy way is half the yellow foundation/half knarloc green foundation for skin, bestial brown for the leather and wash all that poo poo devlan. Looks pretty decent and takes 20 minutes to do an entire squad.

I don't want fast and easy. This, like that karskin sgt, is a single model belonging to a friend of mine that I'm painting for giggles.

Also in the list:
  • GKT (storm bolter and halberd)
  • Ghazghkull
  • SM w/flamer (probably gonna paint it up in space wolves colors)

And of course my backlog of over 350 Tyranid and Eldar minis.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

Broken Loose posted:

Beyond searching cmon v:shobon:v

Here is an unpatined kroot though,

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Aranan posted:

If you just get one brush, I'd probably suggest a size 1. It will hold more paint and the W&N's hold a point pretty drat nicely, so you still get the precision.

The palette is up to you. You can get cheapo plastic dimple palettes for less than a buck, or a ceramic palette for a few dollars, or just use paper plates and/or bathroom tiles. Or you could buy/make a wet palette.

So a Size 1 for sure, a Size 0 if money allows. What's the deal with those W&N Pointed Round brushes? Are those like a thing that I shouldn't consider? I think it was linked in the OP that it's something to consider buying, but I am not exactly sure what their specific uses are.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Broken Loose posted:

I don't want fast and easy. This, like that karskin sgt, is a single model belonging to a friend of mine that I'm painting for giggles.

Also in the list:
  • GKT (storm bolter and halberd)
  • Ghazghkull
  • SM w/flamer (probably gonna paint it up in space wolves colors)

And of course my backlog of over 350 Tyranid and Eldar minis.

I hear you. I've been doing nothing but simple poo poo for the last few months because I'm painting my roommate's tau and it sucks so god drat much

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Beyond searching cmon v:shobon:v

CMON is a minefield of horribly painted poo poo all voted 9.5 GOLEN DEAMON QUALITY and random NMM chrome-covered skullduggery

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Quick ork metal:

boltgun
devlan
drybrush boltgun

long version:

boltgun
badab
orange wash in cracks
devlan
drybrush boltgun
highlight edges with mithril

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
When I drybrush something, should I just take a cheap, flat brush, dip it in the paint then rub it against some paper until almost all the paint is off the brush? Then press slightly hard against the model?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Iron Squid posted:

When I drybrush something, should I just take a cheap, flat brush, dip it in the paint then rub it against some paper until almost all the paint is off the brush? Then press slightly hard against the model?

Yes cept the press hard part. You literally brush over the model kinda lightly but do it until you get the affect you want. Good drybrushing builds up kinda slow so you have control

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

crime fighting hog posted:

Yes cept the press hard part. You literally brush over the model kinda lightly but do it until you get the affect you want. Good drybrushing builds up kinda slow so you have control

So its not just one pass, then? Just do it until it looks the way you want it to?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Its always best to build it up. You cant really "un-drybrush" something without just repainting the base color again.

So, less is more

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Pretty much. There is no one RIGHT way to do anything. Do what works for you. Experiment. Push the envelope. Watch it bend.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
It's totally normal to do one pass of drybrushing and not see a difference. The key is that after 10-15 light passes, you'll notice the highlighting effect. It also looks best when it's a gradual change so you don't have large splotches of paint where it was dragged off on the first few passes.

On an unrelated note, I actually painted some today. Whee. :shobon:

vvvv I had that problem too, but it's just how painting works so I accepted it. Some paint gets wiped off, some dries on the palette, and some spills all over my desk.

Aranan fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 6, 2009

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I always feel horrible when drybrushing. I wipe so much paint off before touching the model, I can't help but fret that I'm wasting huge amounts of precious paint.

A Powerful Cream
Jun 25, 2009

get ready to read some badposts b*tch!! - fdr to hitler, 1972
Anyone got some cool newbie terrain guides (maybe a few to go in da OP). Me and my friend usually play with books and other bullshit as terrain and it's kind of unsatisfying so I'd like to try and make something.

I'd prefer guides that can teach me to do things with household materials so I don't have to leave my house to face the harsh sunlight.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I know that GW used to make some pretty decent "how to make wargames terrain" type books.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

A Powerful Cream posted:

Anyone got some cool newbie terrain guides (maybe a few to go in da OP). Me and my friend usually play with books and other bullshit as terrain and it's kind of unsatisfying so I'd like to try and make something.

I'd prefer guides that can teach me to do things with household materials so I don't have to leave my house to face the harsh sunlight.

What, in particular, are you interested in building? At a minimum, you'll need some foamcore and some insulation foam, along with glue and heavy card paper. You can cut up cereal boxes for that part.

The GW terrain book is excellent for starters, and you can search online and find tons of examples. It's really not very hard to build terrain, and even the crappiest thing you can do will be loads better than books and soda cans. I think my first terrain piece ever was a piece of packing foam from a computer part, with windows cut out, painted and drybrushed. That was it. And it worked.

A Powerful Cream
Jun 25, 2009

Well with my basing scheme I guess an industrial complex makes the most sense, but really anything! Craters, bare/patchy trees, crates/supplies, noxious goo pools etc.

I guess I could just try experimenting with various containers I have around my house (waste barrels from dried up paint containers?) but having something to go off might be a good start, and the OP needs some terrain poo poo anyway!

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

http://ironhands.com/gothic.htm

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
I think rather than paint my entire Ork army, I'm going to pick four or five minis and paint each one differently to see what style I enjoy.

A Powerful Cream
Jun 25, 2009

Zarkov Cortez posted:

http://ironhands.com/gothic.htm

Holy poo poo, these are amazing, they seem a little bit complicated but I think I'm game to give them a crack, for better or worse!

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

A Powerful Cream posted:

Terragenesis has been in my bookmarks for years and is still a favourite terrain site.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Snikch incoming:

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 12:14 on May 21, 2014

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

PlaneGuy posted:

Terragenesis has been in my bookmarks for years and is still a favourite terrain site.

General terrain sites:
http://salmondworks.com/
http://www.terrainthralls.com/Tutorials%20folder/Tutorials.html
http://www.terragenesis.co.uk/

Buildings:
Library and Windmill
Cardboard Ruins
Cheap Houses
Fieldstone wall
Mordheim Scenery
Fuel Depot
Fuel Refinery/Gas Station
Karlsberg
Mek Workshop
Mordheim Ruins
Necrotite Mining Rig
Roadhouse
Ruined Inn
Stones: Feast of the Wolf
Thatched Roof Construction
Trollkin Buildings
Village in 10 Steps
Water Tower

Natural:
Birch Seed Leaves
Floating Sacred Ground
Simple Grapestem Hedges
Simple Grapestem Trees
Twisted Trees
Swamps
Trees

Aranan fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 7, 2009

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
What do you guys think of this technique to quickly paint an Ork army?

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/237797.page

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

You can try something like this,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpmZHUmzWCA

Just ignore the product pushing :v:

Zarkov Cortez fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Dec 7, 2009

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Zarkov Cortez posted:

You can try something like this,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpmZHUmzWCA

Just ignore the product pushing :v:

The guy at the end of that video seems like such a massive pranny in every one of their videos.

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

Yog-Sothoth is the key and the guardian of the gate

Iron Squid posted:

What do you guys think of this technique to quickly paint an Ork army?

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/237797.page

I've got nothing but good things to say about this method, I've painted many dark elves with washes alone over white primer, my doomwheel & weapon team were both primed white, light coloured basecoat and wash with a little highlight touchup where necessary, it's fast and effective for big units especially if you skip hand highlighting and do it all with washes. Since foundations and washes I find white primer beats black every time unless you're painting a predominantly black model

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

The guy at the end of that video seems like such a massive pranny in every one of their videos.

Hey! Backoff Miniwargamer Dave, he's cool. Well, actually he can be a bit much sometimes but miniwargaming.com is an impressively progressive and involved gaming store. I know they have their own profits in mind at the end of the day, but they do provide loads of tutorials, videos and contests via their site.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

Hey! Backoff Miniwargamer Dave, he's cool. Well, actually he can be a bit much sometimes but miniwargaming.com is an impressively progressive and involved gaming store. I know they have their own profits in mind at the end of the day, but they do provide loads of tutorials, videos and contests via their site.

You can use your miniwargaming.com amazing super brush

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Zarkov Cortez posted:

You can use your miniwargaming.com amazing super brush

Which if you placed an order in November you got for free. Seriously though, at the end of the day they are a retailer, they need to sell poo poo to survive. A little plugging of store products is hardly out of line.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

You ruined it

(I got one free last time they had that promotion too)

Zarkov Cortez fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 7, 2009

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Zarkov Cortez posted:

You ruined it

(I got one free last time they had that promotion too)

Awww...sorry I wrecked your fun. Here have a video of the miniwargaming crew being massive tools, as my way of apologizing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-MI_Jfg8uI&feature=channel

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Yog-Sothoth posted:

I've got nothing but good things to say about this method, I've painted many dark elves with washes alone over white primer, my doomwheel & weapon team were both primed white, light coloured basecoat and wash with a little highlight touchup where necessary, it's fast and effective for big units especially if you skip hand highlighting and do it all with washes. Since foundations and washes I find white primer beats black every time unless you're painting a predominantly black model

Do you have any photos of the work you've done like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

a 1 hour 1/72 scale ww2 tank

• Locked thread