Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

HA HA Collage posted:

Pretty simple. I stopped using my PC about a week ago, and I don't think I miss it at all.

That's a pretty tall glass of water next to your laptop there :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.

HA HA Collage posted:

I might. Am I going to be harmed in a terrible way if I do not?

Yes.

BorderPatrol posted:

That's a pretty tall glass of water next to your laptop there :ohdear:

Another reason the mStand is a good idea.

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

what the f/2.8 is going on here!
Are mobile desktops allowed because I've now almost completed my mobile desktop!

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump
Besides Ikea, where are some places to look at good simple desks? I am rethinking my room and wish to get a larger bed and smaller desk (I have the largest Galant from Ikea now). I would basically just like the desk I have but half the width and it would be awesome if there was a keyboard/mouse tray too!

AllenR
Dec 5, 2007
Blerg

Phillyt posted:

Besides Ikea, where are some places to look at good simple desks? I am rethinking my room and wish to get a larger bed and smaller desk (I have the largest Galant from Ikea now). I would basically just like the desk I have but half the width and it would be awesome if there was a keyboard/mouse tray too!

Office Depot and Staples are ideal places to shop for desks.

Latroc
Mar 22, 2004
Repent!

HA HA Collage posted:

Pretty simple. I stopped using my PC about a week ago, and I don't think I miss it at all.

I have basically the exact same setup (17" MBP and 24" Dell monitor) and just got my mStand in today. I could not be happier with the decision to buy one. And as mentioned, I'm much less paranoid about having open beverages near my precious laptop.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Strict 9 posted:

Really digging my new work layout. Got a new i5 27" iMac as my main computer. I took down the partition that was normally between my desks and moved my two PC's (controlled by synergy) down there.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Is that a desk fan next to the iMac?

Make and model please.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Also, what desk is that? Is it the Ikea Galant?

HA HA Collage
Oct 2, 2009

The Most Celebrated New Poster Since Attila
I will hit up the apple store this weekend and check out the mstand. I appreciate all of your deep concern for the health and well being of my laptop.

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

strayan posted:

Is that a desk fan next to the iMac?

Make and model please.

That it is. Gets drat hot in here. Too many old ladies who get chilly when it's colder than 75.

Anyway, it's a Vornado 540B that I got on Woot for $22. Works really well, though the high setting sounds like a prop plane. Low makes it plenty cool though.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Strict 9 posted:

That it is. Gets drat hot in here. Too many old ladies who get chilly when it's colder than 75.

Anyway, it's a Vornado 540B that I got on Woot for $22. Works really well, though the high setting sounds like a prop plane. Low makes it plenty cool though.

Thanks, though I'm still very tempted to buy one of these blade-less fans http://www.dyson.com.au/fans/

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

strayan posted:

Thanks, though I'm still very tempted to buy one of these blade-less fans http://www.dyson.com.au/fans/

If you want to run a vacuum next to your ear, go ahead...

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

The Third Man posted:

Is there a such thing as a nice corner desk that won't cost me more than a few hundred bucks?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019CY3AQ/ref=pd_luc_wl_03_01

Especially good deal if you have amazon prime.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Strict 9 posted:

What desk do you have? (is that the Ikea Galant + the galant drawers?)

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I just moved into a new apartment a few weeks ago and finally got my desk set up (had to order some DVI cables after some were lost in the move).

Cut it down from four monitors to two. Computers and printer are in the closet.

Click here for the full 1296x972 image.

Serious Business
Jun 22, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump

Bucket Joneses posted:

I just moved into a new apartment a few weeks ago and finally got my desk set up (had to order some DVI cables after some were lost in the move).

What is that picture hanging on the wall?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
It's a print I got from You Work For Them.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

strayan posted:

dyson stuff is indistinguishable from magic

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Vinlaen posted:

What desk do you have? (is that the Ikea Galant + the galant drawers?)

Hmm, I guess it does kind of look like that. But no, it's part of an office desk system from Staples meant for businesses (i.e., really overpriced)

Instant Stalker
Aug 8, 2002
JUST ADD RAPE

Bucket Joneses posted:

I'm diggin the color setup on your bike.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
Here's my new Home Office / Entertainment Center setup. The couch on the left is L-shaped, so I can kick back and watch movies on the sweet 42" plasma. (Thanks, Black Friday!)

LowJack
Jun 27, 2003

timb posted:

Here's my new Home Office / Entertainment Center setup. The couch on the left is L-shaped, so I can kick back and watch movies on the sweet 42" plasma. (Thanks, Black Friday!)

My OCD-riddled personality enjoys the purity of form and function illustrated in your setup.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

LowJack posted:

My OCD-riddled personality enjoys the purity of form and function illustrated in your setup.

Same here, that's a real nice setup (although if there was another place to put the stuff above the TV I'd do that.)

I have that same TV, it's fantastic.

What are you doing for speakers?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Timb, seriously that setup is loving pure sex.

Instant Stalker
Aug 8, 2002
JUST ADD RAPE

timb posted:

Those legare desks really are amazing (and expensive). Since you own one, I'd like to know if it's worth the price or not to be able to tear down quickly.

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.

Bucket Joneses posted:

What desk is that if you don't mind me asking.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

timb posted:

I hope you don't live in an earthquake zone.

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

So what if I'm not for the ever offended?

timb posted:

I have saved that image for future inspiration on how to do it right when I finally can afford it. - About a year from now.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Uncle Jenkins posted:

That place is a loving mess... but it's so comfy looking. :3:

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005

Crowley posted:

That place is a loving mess... but it's so comfy looking. :3:
Man I cleaned it up a LOT just for these pictures :I

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

So, this weekend I purchased a huge IKEA Galant system, plus the Galant filing cabinet/drawers, plus a little TV stand.

I'm not sure if I'm too happy with it though because I don't think the black/brown color I got matches the room, and the desk is also HUGE (I got the desk plus two extensions).

Here is my old layout: (more pictures available here)

Here is my new layout: (taken from iPhone; sorry about the quality) (more pictures available here)

What do you guys think? (Can I even return the assembled IKEA stuff?)

-Risk
Jul 16, 2008
I think it looks good, you used to have a sideboard anyways and the wall-to-wall look works. As for the color, it goes with the thing you have your printer on. You could also get a thicker frame for your 300 poster in a dark color.

If you want to return it, they do take back assembled stuff as long as you put it back into its box, at least they do here in Sweden.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I'd consider that a good improvement. Having tons of desk space is always nice and it looks much more sleek than your old setup.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

-Risk posted:

As for the color, it goes with the thing you have your printer on.
We actually bought that thing that printer is on at the same time we bought the desk. I'm just not sure the desk goes with the blinds or window frame. Unfortunately my wife and I absolutely suck at interior decorating and we both thought the black/brown desk didn't go with the room at all...

SpartanIV posted:

I'd consider that a good improvement. Having tons of desk space is always nice and it looks much more sleek than your old setup.
Thanks. I think my main concern is having the desk match the blinds (and the couch thing we have in the room as well). If you guys say it goes together then I'll take your word for it!

Serious Business
Jun 22, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump

timb posted:

Amazing.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Crush posted:

What desk is that if you don't mind me asking.

It's two solid maple filing cabinets I bought at a local furniture store and a solid maple countertop I bought at a local hardwood supplier. I just laid the top on the cabinets and put 2" rubber feet on top of the cabinets so it wouldn't slide.

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote

Vinlaen posted:

We actually bought that thing that printer is on at the same time we bought the desk. I'm just not sure the desk goes with the blinds or window frame. Unfortunately my wife and I absolutely suck at interior decorating and we both thought the black/brown desk didn't go with the room at all...

No offense, but I think the problem is your blinds, not your desk. They convey a shut-in vibe, sort of like blinding all the windows with bedsheets. Let in some light!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Mathturbator posted:

No offense, but I think the problem is your blinds, not your desk. They convey a shut-in vibe, sort of like blinding all the windows with bedsheets. Let in some light!

Those photos look like they were taken at night. I don't know where this guy lives but most people who live in city suburbs close their blinds when it gets dark.

This photo is just blurry because your iphone is trying to focus on the door jamb (the wood on the left) and not the actual room.

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 7, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Yeah, that picture was taken when it was dark outside.

I don't think I can change the blinds though because it needs to match the wood frame which is light brown (oak-ish), right?