Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
I should just make an air compressor help thread. :sweatdrop:

A couple things,

1. My guess is that you have a cheapish(not $2000) compressor and are using the on tank regulator to set your pressure. These regulators are notoriously poo poo, give poor measurements, and don't flow for crap. On really lovely compressors it's common to have a 1/8" line running to the regulator and a 1/4" coming out. The simple solution you've already figured out, set the regulator for higher psi and the increased pressure will compensate some for the lack of flow. Don't go too high or you could damage the gun or the trigger mechanism.

The reason those huge impact guns work so well on a lovely compressor is that you get at least one good belt in before the line pressure drops. That first hit knocks the nut free, and it spins off easily with lower pressure. This is also why it sometimes works better to do several short bursts on a nut.

2. An impact wrench that's rated for 250ft-lbs can tighten a nut to 250ft-lbs under ideal circumstances if you let it hammer away for a couple minutes with all the air it could ever need. Or it can't and the advertising team just made up some bullshit number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
ahh, correct on the cheapish compressor. I just figured as long as the tank is charged its good even if its cheap. never even thought about bitty little lines going to the regulator or lovely regulator itself.

I bought the husky compressor (only 1.5hp and oilless but it is 30 gallons at least) I have because I needed a 110v one right away and it was cheap on CL, its not my "dream" one. I'm gonna get something better once I have some money and time to do a 220 line.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Better regulators aren't that expensive. $30 will get you a nice one. Metal body, built in gauge, +-3% psi, and plenty of flow for minimal pressure drop. These don't come on consumer air compressors because it would turn a $100 compressor into a $115 compressor and they'd lose some sales.

Consumer compressors make me angry.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Would that go on in place of the factory regulator? with the factory plumbing? or would I tap the tank myself some how (I have a friend could weld a bung on) to have a bigger input line to it?

edit: and is there a good way to test if my regulator isnt flowing enough? how much the pressure drops on the regulator guage if I'm tightening something? should it drop at all? cause it does.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 4, 2009

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

In place of. The stock regulator should be screwed onto a pipe coming out of the tank. Ideally that pipe should be 1/4" or 3/8" NPT, you can easily test this with some pipe fittings from the hardware store. If so, get some pipe sealant(don't use teflon tape) and screw the new regulator down just tight enough that it doesn't leak under pressure. There will be an arrow or something on the regulator to indicate flow direction. The other end gets a female quick disconnect and you're good to go.

Of course, the pipe coming from the tank could also be 1/8" NPT, some random chinese threading, or even a flare nut. If it's 1/8" NPT you can get an adapter, otherwise you're screwed.

Some consumer compressors also run the motor start/stop switch off the regulator because their reckless fucks who care more about saving $2 than your life. If there are any wires going to the regulator then you're screwed.

By the way, 1/4" NPT has a nominal inner diameter of around 3/8". 3/8" NPT has a nominal ID of around 1/2". That's why your fittings are all 1/4" NPT but you need 3/8" hose.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Ok I looked, had to take a torx-screwed "stay-out" cover off but the tank is tapped with what looks like 1/4" npt fitting just like an air hose, the tube coming out of those fittings to the regulator is probably 1/4".

The pressure switch is not in the regulator but the regulator is tapped for air on the high side with a line going to the pressure switch, that bad?

The regulator is a weird looking bastard, I noticed the tank has a big 1.5" or 2" pipe plug in the side, could I take that out and put some kind of regulator there instead of hacking up the plastic cover to replace this strange looking thing? (return it to factory config easier to sell it later)

I'd like this compressor to do a bit more for me for maybe another year until I can get something better, if it's not worth the trouble I can live with it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Dec 4, 2009

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

The easy way to test for proper flow is to attach a gauge to the tool with a T-fitting and see how much pressure drop you get under load. Set the regulator so you see 90psi under no load. If you pull the trigger and it instantly drops to 60psi then you've got a problem. You'll always have some drop, but you want it as small as possible. Realistically on a cheap gun like that if you can start at 100-110psi and wind up around 90 then you'll be fine. Worst case scenario is you break the gun.

If you break the gun you can buy a bigger one that will remove nuts in the first 1/2 second and all will be well.

Wagonburner posted:

The regulator is a weird looking bastard, I noticed the tank has a big 1.5" or 2" pipe plug in the side, could I take that out and put some kind of regulator there instead of hacking up the plastic cover to replace this strange looking thing? (return it to factory config easier to sell it later)

That would be an inspection plug most likely. Messing with it could be dangerous. If a 1/4" fitting lets go you get a small projectile and a loud hissing. If a 2" fitting lets go the whole tank could go flying. The plug holds so it'll hold pressure, but how well will it hold up to you tripping on a hose and knocking it over? Just something to keep in mind.

My compressor has no regulator or outlet on top, just the pressure switch. There is a 3/4" NPT bung welded onto the side of the tank and you either attach a regulator or plumb it into a larger system.

You have 4 options.

1. Crank the stock regulator wide open and install a second one downstream. This could wind up being worse than just the stock reg.
2. Leave the stock regulator alone and plumb a fitting into that 1.5-2" bung on the side of the tank. This could potentially explode.
3. Remove the whole regulator and switch assembly and replace it with new, standard parts. This would cost about $150 and could explode if you do it wrong.
4. Get by with the stock regulator until you can afford a compressor that doesn't suck.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Wagonburner posted:

Why won't my lovely air compressor run my inpact guns?

I'm glad wagonburner asked this question. I got a smoking deal on a couple of cheap pneumatic impact wrenches at Nothern Tool, and I too was disappointed with the performance. The "400 ft-lb" 1/2 one couldn't remove my 90 ft-lb lug studs, whereas my trusty 'lectric impact still made short work of them.

I knew my POS pancake compressor wasn't really up to the task, but now I REALLY know it's not up to the task. Maybe Santa will bring something better...

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Something better,

http://www.eatoncompressor.com/catalog/item/504747/172983.htm

Chauncey
Sep 16, 2007

Gibbering
Fathead

all you have to do is get a tee and run a line from the tee to the pressure switch and out the other part of the tee your line to the regulator or after the regulator however it goes.

Glynis27
Sep 13, 2006
Destroyer of Dreams

Lowclock posted:

It was in northeastern Ohio for about 4 years and Arizona for 2. It doesn't get really heavy use. I probably cycle it like once a day average I'd say. It's a standing model and the drain plug is on the bottom of the tank. I just had to replace the case seal on the motor because it was leaking, but it was always full of oil. No dryer or filter. I was expecting some nasty poo poo but this is ok too!

EDIT: The end of the drain plug was even like perfectly clean when I took it out too. Mystery

I drained my 60gal today and got 1/2gal of very ugly water out. Last summer, when I was using it a lot, I was getting 1/4gal a week. I have a line dryer down stream to keep it out of the tools at least. Any way to keep the water from getting in there in the first place? It's a 60gal oil less Craftsman.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Glynis27 posted:

I drained my 60gal today and got 1/2gal of very ugly water out.

There are auto drains that do a great job and don't waste too much air. You should still drain at the end of the day, but at least it won't build up as much.

edit: You can keep the water from getting in in the first place, but it's really expensive and not really necessary.

Glynis27
Sep 13, 2006
Destroyer of Dreams

oxbrain posted:

There are auto drains that do a great job and don't waste too much air. You should still drain at the end of the day, but at least it won't build up as much.

edit: You can keep the water from getting in in the first place, but it's really expensive and not really necessary.

Cool! That should do the trick. I have the compressor installed in the attic of the garage (because it is so drat loud) and draining it is a real bitch. Because of that, I very rarely drain it, like once a year rarely or after heavy use. Ooops.

Glynis27 fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 5, 2009

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

60 gallons at 125psi is like a bomb. You REALLY don't want that tank exploding. If you're lucky you'll just have to fix the hole in the wall/roof.

Chauncey
Sep 16, 2007

Gibbering
Fathead

You can always pressure test your tank by plugging all the ports except two at the top and fill tank with water. Then put a pressure gauge in one fitting and a grease fitting in the other and fill a grease gun with water and pump it to above the pressure of your regulator setting.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
This thread has turned into an air-tank wank-fest. Not that I'm complaining, I'll be hell of interested and read back up as soon as I decide I need one; the trouble is, when I check out new posts in this thread for the last couple weeks, I've been pretty bored, and I liked this thread. Maybe I can help myself.

Tell me about King Dick tools (or speculate wildly). http://www.kingdicktools.co.uk/

Here in America, with a name like King Dick, in loving huge letters, these tools might be pleasingly offensive unique to own. If they're not worthless lumps. I'm not interested in the wacky Limey-measure set (until I decide to buy an old Triumph a welder), but they do put out metrics, and by comparison to Craftsman's usually-available 8 through 27, metric 6 through 50 is rather frightening and a little erotic. Price-wise, if they were in the American market, they'd be a little higher than Craftsman-grade (I think) and below Cornwell and Matco (I think).

Does anyone in here use them? I would like to know more.

PurDunamis
Jun 17, 2005

Splizwarf posted:

Tell me about King Dick tools (or speculate wildly). http://www.kingdicktools.co.uk/

Does anyone in here use them? I would like to know more.

Kind Dick tools are ok - They are properly sized (neither to tight or to loose on nuts, unlike really cheap nasty tools) and are made of decent steel. We use quite a lot of King Dick stuff at work. There are nicer tools out there, but King Dick is perfectly serviceable.

Oh and the name still causes plenty of childish amusement here in the UK.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
I need to fix one of my son's toys, but it's got these asinine triange-socket screws. Where can I find a screwdriver for removing them? I've got a full set of odd screwdriver bits, but no triangles. I'm thinking dollar tree and a grinder would be easiest.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I got some of those out with just a perfect-sized flathead, was a little pocket-clip give-away kind with some company's name on it.

My cause was less-noble than yours though, I was looking for ag44 cells to steal from my kids old happy meal toys.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Dec 5, 2009

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

grover posted:

I need to fix one of my son's toys, but it's got these asinine triange-socket screws. Where can I find a screwdriver for removing them? I've got a full set of odd screwdriver bits, but no triangles. I'm thinking dollar tree and a grinder would be easiest.

$8 at Harbor Freight gets you all the oddball fastener bits you'll probably ever bump into: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91310

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
That's a cool set. It cracks me up that a bit for wing nuts is included in a security bit set.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
As long as it's not too small or too tight, you can take the end of a BIC pen and get it hot and melting and press it into the screw.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Wagonburner posted:

I got some of those out with just a perfect-sized flathead, was a little pocket-clip give-away kind with some company's name on it.
Hey, whatdoyaknow, this worked! Freaking bazillion little screws, too, about 16 of them. Got them all out, got out the multimeter... and discovered the piece of poo poo "super heavy duty" batteries were fine on the battery tester, but failed under load. :downsgun:

Good news is: I got it fixed! Will me a much happier christmas getting a working toy as oppose to a broken one. Thanks for the help, guys.

grover fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 5, 2009

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Lowclock posted:

As long as it's not too small or too tight, you can take the end of a BIC pen and get it hot and melting and press it into the screw.
I've never seen these ("Triwing") screws used by anyone other than Nintendo, but this was pretty much the method I've always used.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I've never seen these ("Triwing") screws used by anyone other than Nintendo, but this was pretty much the method I've always used.
Last year I got a bit set as a christmas present that was designed for opening different consoles.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
I just traded my alright 33 gallon craftsman compressor like this:

for this:

Straight trade, it's just missing a regulator. I love craigslist. What sucks is that when we picked it up out of the truck, my buddy didn't have a good grip and requested we lower it right to the ground. I lowered slowly and he lowered quick and it tipped towards him and fell right over onto my garbage can which let it absorb some shock into the fill tube and then it went to the ground where it bent the cage a tiny bit.

I took the tube off and was able to put a screwdriver in there and bend the kink out. It's not perfect, but I'm guessing it'll be alright.

Click here for the full 640x427 image.

You can see the repaired dent a little in this picture.
This is the outlet hole on the side of the tank :

I'm guessing thats 3/4" NPT? Do they make any regulators that will go right onto this or do I need to buy a reducer to step it down? The biggest regulator I found online was a nice Bosch that had 1/2".

ease fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 6, 2009

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
I won a cordless impact wrench as a door prize last night. :dance:

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

grover posted:

I won a cordless impact wrench as a door prize last night. :dance:

Please let me know your impression of it. I'm in the market for a 1/2" cordless impact, and $100 seems like a really good price for tool, charger, and two batteries.

City17
Dec 3, 2006

ease posted:

my buddy didn't have a good grip and requested we lower it right to the ground. I lowered slowly and he lowered quick and it tipped towards him and fell right over onto my garbage can which let it absorb some shock into the fill tube and then it went to the ground where it bent the cage a tiny bit.

How heavy are those things? i have often wondered how people get them in their garage and home from wherever they bought it.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Sexual Lorax posted:

Please let me know your impression of it. I'm in the market for a 1/2" cordless impact, and $100 seems like a really good price for tool, charger, and two batteries.
I haven't had a chance to use it yet, and don't really have any projects at the moment I can test it on, but it seems well built and feels solid. It's HEAVY, I can tell you that much- probably 2-3x heavier than my [corded] hammer drill, and that's without the battery. No idea how it'll hold up under heavy use, but this was the annual awards banquet for the local autocross club, and the people that picked out the door prizes really know their poo poo, so I can only assume it's a decent piece of equipment. (For reference, the other door prizes were an aluminum racing jack and gift certificates for dyno pulls at two local race shops.)

Edit: I take that back, I need to change the brake pads on my wife's 4Runner, but we were unable to loosen the bolts, even after lowering the jack and dropping the weight of the truck on the ratchet handle. This will be a PERFECT test for it. I'll post back the the results, but it may be a few days until I get a chance to do it.

grover fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 7, 2009

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
That impact wrench looks great, especially if it can get big suspension bolts off without huge breaker bars.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

Landshark posted:

How heavy are those things? i have often wondered how people get them in their garage and home from wherever they bought it.

not as heavy as you'd think. probably somewhere around 175lbs maybe a bit more. just awkward to lift

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

ease posted:

That's a pretty good trade. Just be sure to bolt it down or strap it to the wall ASAP.

Measure that outlet bung hole, if it's 1" then it's 3/4" NPT, if it's 3/4" then it's 1/2" NPT.

A 3/8" regulator will flow enough for basically any tool you can lift one handed. I'd get a set of adapters from whatever that bung is to 3/8" NPT, buy this, another adapter down to 1/4" NPT, then a quick disconnect. Maybe use an elbow bend so it's not all sticking straight out.

Don't do this,

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Haha where is the regulator on that pic? What the gently caress.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

Sexual Lorax posted:

I've had the same one for two years or so now. The charge in the battery really makes a difference regarding what sort of work it can do. Unfortunately, the only way you start to notice your battery is running down is failure to loosen a fastener. Overall, it is a fairly decent tool for the price, but it does have its limitations. If you're looking for something to use trackside for wheel changes, it works very well. If you're looking for something to break loose every fastener you haven't been able to loosen with a breaker bar, this isn't the tool for you. Then again, unless you're spending quite a bit more either on an air setup or on an extremely expensive electric impact, you won't be doing much better.

The fact that the wrench is cordless makes many of these shortcomings forgivable - you get a lot more use out of it since it is just grab and use. Additionally, when I bought it, it came with two batteries, which certainly comes in handy when doing actual work.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

grover posted:

we were unable to loosen the bolts, even after lowering the jack and dropping the weight of the truck on the ratchet handle.

A 4' pipe on the end of the ratchet or breaker bar should do the trick if your impact cant get it done. Never thought of lowering the car onto the ratchet tho, thats funny. God drat tire shops putting wheels on with impact guns at 950lbs.

ease fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Dec 7, 2009

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

ease posted:

Haha where is the regulator on that pic? What the gently caress.

No regulator, and it was mounted in the back of a box truck with that 8" thing hanging out where anything could snap it off. My only hope is they were using it exclusively for a blow gun or some tool that likes 135psi.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

oxbrain posted:

On really lovely compressors it's common to have a 1/8" line running to the regulator and a 1/4" coming out.

drat you're not kidding about that. I was just at atwoods at lunch and walked by their compressors, they had some $400+ 30-60 gallon 220 volt 2 stage ones with a line going tank to regulator that looks like a drat brake hardline!

They had 1/4" going from the pumps to the tanks that even had some fins on it to cool the charge I guess but once it's in the tank I guess they don't expect you to do much with it.

And even my lovely 1.5hp husky that I've been whining about in this thread at least has 1/4" (and a lovely regulator mounted to it, but hey)

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 7, 2009

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
:redhammer: "Nut staking tool" :redhammer:

I'm working on my $50 festiva and I'm putting together the rear spindle/bearings/brake drum. Where can I get a magical tool that I put over the nut from the end, and hit to stake the nut? Since the official procedure is to only finger tighten the nut it tends to spin when you start whacking at it with a punch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Maybe not the right place to ask (also could've been asked but I missed it), but do you guys have any recommendations on good starter tools to buy? I always used to borrow my dad's socket set for stuff before, but I live 3,000 miles away from home, and I'm completely tool-less.

What's a good laundry list of must-have tools for someone just getting into doing their own mechanic stuff? I doubt I'll go much past changing my own oil, but I'm a cheap bastard who will replace non-complicated stuff to save cash. So I doubt I'll need an engine hoist, but it'd be nice to know what tools would be handy to have around if I wind up doing something a bit more advanced than changing an air filter.

I imagine a decent socket set is indispensable. Anything else?