Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Watch out, tank! You're not even looking where you're going!! :ohdear:

So how big is a 1/72 scale tank?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Aranan posted:

Watch out, tank! You're not even looking where you're going!! :ohdear:

About as big as your thumb

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
drat, that's a lot smaller than I thought.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

:eng101:
... :downs:

Aranan fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 8, 2009

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Aranan posted:

The thing about scale models is you can work out how big they will be :eng101:

An M1 Abrams is 9.77m, from the muzzle of the gun to rear of the hull, so a 1/72 kit would be 13.5cm long.

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
I'm putting some Sunburst Yellow onto an Ork that's been covered with black primer. The yellow looks pretty splotchy, unlike the Foundation paints I've been using. It looks like the Ork's gonna need two or three coats of yellow to look good. I just want someone to reassure me that this is normal and not a product of bad paint or lovely technique.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs
Yellow over black will take a few coats.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Iron Squid posted:

I'm putting some Sunburst Yellow onto an Ork that's been covered with black primer. The yellow looks pretty splotchy, unlike the Foundation paints I've been using. It looks like the Ork's gonna need two or three coats of yellow to look good. I just want someone to reassure me that this is normal and not a product of bad paint or lovely technique.

This is normal.

You'd be best off basecoating over the primer with either Iyanden Darksun or White, and then Sunburst Yellow, otherwise you'll have to do a good few coats of yellow to cover the black. Lots of the colours (particularly yellows and reds) don't cover darker colours very well.

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Danger - Octopus! posted:

This is normal.

You'd be best off basecoating over the primer with either Iyanden Darksun or White, and then Sunburst Yellow, otherwise you'll have to do a good few coats of yellow to cover the black. Lots of the colours (particularly yellows and reds) don't cover darker colours very well.

Yeah I just put down a third coat of yellow on top of the black, and its still looking a little splotchy. I'll try the Darksun technique next time.

Actually, if I put down Darksun on my mini, then the yellow, will the Darksun yellow match the yellow painted right over the black? If not I might just dunk this in Simple Green and try again before work tomorrow.

Edit: Just did the Darksun + Yellow and it seems a lot less splotchy. I'm still probably going to have to do at least two coats. The action of dragging the brush over the yellow paint already on the figure leaves streaks.

Iron Squid fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 8, 2009

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PaintVagrant posted:

a 1 hour 1/72 scale ww2 tank

What kit is that?

GravyMiser
Dec 24, 2003

Am I the only person that is really bothered by this guy's cape? One edge of it so much longer than the other. I never see anybody discuss it, but it drives me crazy when I look at it.

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

Yog-Sothoth is the key and the guardian of the gate

Iron Squid posted:

Do you have any photos of the work you've done like this?

Apart from the metal and a drybrush on the cloaks, all these dudes were done 100% with washes over white primer

These ones are all done with a single coat of light basecoat colours over white primer, shaded with washes

and yeah yellow over black is a losing battle. I recommend priming white, otherwise you'll need two thin coats of foundation yellow + 1 of golden yellow to get a non-splotchy colour. Non foundation yellow does not cover well at all, even straight out of the pot, and you do absolutely need to thin it despite the temptation to keep the heavier pigment, or it will get clumpy and blotchy and ruin it anyway

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Yog-Sothoth posted:

Apart from the metal and a drybrush on the cloaks, all these dudes were done 100% with washes over white primer

[tons of awesome pics]

Well...now I feel like I should drop my Assault on Black Reach set into Simple Green overnight and start over again with white primer. I'm *really* tempted to do this. But, Oh God, :effort:

Yog-Sothoth posted:

and yeah yellow over black is a losing battle. I recommend priming white, otherwise you'll need two thin coats of foundation yellow + 1 of golden yellow to get a non-splotchy colour. Non foundation yellow does not cover well at all, even straight out of the pot, and you do absolutely need to thin it despite the temptation to keep the heavier pigment, or it will get clumpy and blotchy and ruin it anyway

Yeah, the yellow is coming out kind of streaky, especially when I move the brush over an area already painted.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
There are few reasons to use black primer to be honest. Washes can take care of the only strong reason, which is to hide the fact that there are nooks and cranies that are difficult to work in. Otherwise black is just not a friendly base color for table top standard in my experience.

Actually gently caress that, black undercoat sucks across the board, sometimes I have done black with white just from the top, but it was tedious and not as cool as I thought.

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

Even having lots of little nooks and recesses, priming white then giving the whole model a coat of badab black sorts this out handily. It's a good start for any areas on the model that are going to end up darker, but skip it on your yellows and similar bright/poor coverage colours because it makes a noticeable difference to the colour intensity you'd otherwise get over white primer

the rear crewman here had straight golden yellow, one coat over white primer followed by one coat of sepia wash, the pilot in front had the same but with a wash of badab black between the primer and the yellow

it's not huge but it's noticeable, it's a good thing for darker grittier colours, not as desirable for brights

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Yog-Sothoth posted:

Even having lots of little nooks and recesses, priming white then giving the whole model a coat of badab black sorts this out handily. It's a good start for any areas on the model that are going to end up darker, but skip it on your yellows and similar bright/poor coverage colours because it makes a noticeable difference to the colour intensity you'd otherwise get over white primer

This is pretty much what I was getting at.

I think your stuff is all round a great example of what a WHFB army should look like. Nothing seems like it too HOURS AND HOURS, but it looks tidy, it pops and you can see some nice detailing on there too.

I guess half of that is the planning to get your colors lined up. Still, I really like your stuff. I can't wait until you have larger units painted up to show off.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Iron Squid posted:

Edit: Just did the Darksun + Yellow and it seems a lot less splotchy. I'm still probably going to have to do at least two coats. The action of dragging the brush over the yellow paint already on the figure leaves streaks.

If your paints are streaking, you probably need to thin your paint.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

GravyMiser posted:

Am I the only person that is really bothered by this guy's cape? One edge of it so much longer than the other. I never see anybody discuss it, but it drives me crazy when I look at it.

I dunno, I can see where you are coming from. Still think the model is awesome though :)

The 3 blades in the Skaven 3 pointed thing arrangement was genius

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 8, 2009

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Aranan posted:

If your paints are streaking, you probably need to thin your paint.

What's the ratio of paint to water, typically?

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Iron Squid posted:

It really varies with paint brand, and even within brands sometimes between colors or even individual pots of the same color.

I just kind of guestimate, so wait for someone who knows their poo poo to chime in. I've heard it's good to get it to the consistency of whole milk or something.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Arquinsiel posted:

What kit is that?

I dont honestly remember :\ I think its Italeri. The model is about 3 inches long or so

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Aranan posted:

It really varies with paint brand, and even within brands sometimes between colors or even individual pots of the same color.

I just kind of guestimate, so wait for someone who knows their poo poo to chime in. I've heard it's good to get it to the consistency of whole milk or something.

Citadel paints. I'm just looking for a starting point, really.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
'til it looks like this

stabbington posted:

Basecoat:

Layers n' poo poo:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Yog-Sothoth posted:

Or you can go the extra mile and just use washes over bare metal:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Skarsnik posted:

The 3 blades in the Skaven 3 pointed thing arrangement was genius

Oh wow, it's like the Fedex arrow.

NORTH-HALL
Jan 15, 2005
"Barney comes to play with us whenever we may need him!"

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Yellow over black will take a few coats.

And your sanity

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Iron Squid posted:

I usually work with a 2:1 ratio of paint to water. I use a bottle containing distilled water pre-mixed with some flow-aid.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

I tend to use black as a basecoat for my ultramarines (yes, I am part of the problem) because the white ended up too bright for my taste, and it seemed a waste of time to use washes for every nook and cranny on the figure when it was easier to just drybrush blue over the black.

btw, besides red and yellow which other colors are Foundation paints better for?

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
So I'm soaking a few of my primed models in Simple Green. One of them, an ammunition crate, had the paint come off with a quick brushing. But the other models, the Orks, are really clinging to the paint. I'm going to put them in for the rest of the day and check them out in about ten hours.

How long do you guys soaks models for if you want to repaint them?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Primer doesnt come off super easily, you have to use an old toothbrush to get it off. Its going to leave a little residue, but that doesnt matter really

Spacefrog
Jul 26, 2009

:( X = :dong:

Sole.Sushi posted:

Anyone have any experience with this stuff?
I love green stuff for the most part, but I find that there isn't enough contrast from light and shadow when I work with green stuff for my taste.

Fake Edit: I've never worked with brown stuff, but I imagine that the darkness of the material will be similar to green stuff, which doesn't fix the problem.

Real Edit: Always fun when the website you link pages to has the same URL for two different pages! :hurr:
Brown stuff is harder than green stuff and can be filed after it sets, so its better for things like armour, procreate is a combination of the two, add more putty for GS qualities, more hardener for brown. Its also easier to see how much of one you've added in the final colour of the stuff, worth getting imo.

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

PaintVagrant posted:

Primer doesnt come off super easily, you have to use an old toothbrush to get it off. Its going to leave a little residue, but that doesnt matter really

Yeah, I was scrubbing the models with a toothbrush, but not much luck. I could scrape the paint off with a fingernail, but it seems the toothbrush wasn't really up to the job. I'll check it again when I get home.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

This model is pretty drat sweet.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Iron Squid posted:

Yeah, I was scrubbing the models with a toothbrush, but not much luck. I could scrape the paint off with a fingernail, but it seems the toothbrush wasn't really up to the job. I'll check it again when I get home.

I usually just throw models in for at least a full day before scrubbing

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Hello gentleman and ladies. I'm new to the Miniature painting thread but not new to miniature painting. Here's just a few of my things. I'm hoping to show you all more in the future. I apologize for the quality of the images.

Also, feel free to critique. I can take it. Right now it's going to be Salamanders and BFG Necrons.

NecronSchmecron fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 9, 2009

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

NecronSchmecron posted:

Also, feel free to critique. I can take it. Right now it's going to be Salamanders and BFG Necrons.

BFG Necrons? Jerk.
They look good though. :)
Maybe your salamanders could do with some washes, or perhaps more emphasized highlights. But, as you said, it could just be the photos bleaching out the contrast.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
I personally think the tactical squads look terrible in person. I definitely got more practice with the captain, there. I used goblin green for the highlight on him instead of the scorpion I gave my tactical squad. I fear mixing paint. I'm always afraid I'll never get that exact color again. Though it worked out fine with my power weapons. Also the highlight on the cap'n is a bit cleaner.

Also, I'm poo poo at BFG and always lose with Necrons.I haven't used the exact fleet shown here yet though.

Edit: more pics of the Captain.

I actually think I posted these in GBS once. He's my fave, so far. Even more than my Vulkan conversion.

Also, may I add, that just about everything I've seen in this thread is just great in some way or another. Everyone keep up the good work.

NecronSchmecron fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Dec 9, 2009

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Sweet salamanders but holy poo poo mold lines :byodood:

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

crossposted from gbs, finished magnetizing my bell/furnace kit! Leaving the seer separate until he's painted

Had to do a fair bit of surgery to magnetize the bell/furnace anchor point on the arch, would have been sooo much easier if there was a second set of the circular bits that link to the chain held by the crew

Yog-Sothoth fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 9, 2009

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Found a decent drop-pod hazard stripe tutorial here if anyone is interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Im pretty much living vicariously through yog's yellow skaven

• Locked thread